• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Oboro Muramasa pics! 2D awesomeness! :o

Blueblur1 said:
I'm currently playing Odin Sphere! Its fantastic and it makes me want Muramasa even more.

Yeah this game is supposably Odin Sphere only with a more action oriented battle system and more variety in stages.

Just curious to as of where you are in the game.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Flying_Phoenix said:
The PAL version has no slowdown.
frankly, i'm really inclined to import a pal OS and mod my pstwo just to see how a sub-10-deep-diver fps can turn into a fluid 30.

While it was bad it really is ridiculously overblown. I mean it only occurs in when you fight two bosses and if you use a certain item in a place you visit twice.
we must be thinking of different games. i can recall of two boss fights right off the top of my hat - queen odette and general brigan (palace version), that are nothing but fps hell, and the entire underworld as a whole was a crawly place whenever more than two sprites appeared.

i think people need to take off the pink OS glasses - the game was good (and gosh beautiful), but the ntsc version was borderline unplayable at times. and i'm saying this as somebody who really enjoyed the game. but i'd be a hypocrite if i said i would not have enjoy it much more if the game fps was fluid.

Ledsen

blu said:
frankly, i'm really inclined to import a pal OS and mod my pstwo just to see how a sub-10-deep-diver fps can turn into a fluid 30.

we must be thinking of different games. i can recall of two boss fights right off the top of my hat - queen odette and general brigan (palace version), that are nothing but fps hell, and the entire underworld as a whole was a crawly place whenever more than two sprites appeared.

i think people need to take off the pink OS glasses - the game was good (and gosh beautiful), but the ntsc version was borderline unplayable at times. and i'm saying this as somebody who really enjoyed the game. but i'd be a hypocrite if i said i would not have enjoy it much more if the game fps was fluid.

Wow, you guys are seriously oversensitive. The only time I ever took notice of the framerate was during the Odette fight. Many many games have worse framerate issues than OS and they never get this much shit for it. I'll never understand why people single it out so often. And yes, I played the NTSC version.

pakkit

Banned
Ledsen said:
Wow, you guys are seriously oversensitive. The only time I ever took notice of the framerate was during the Odette fight. Many many games have worse framerate issues than OS and they never get this much shit for it. I'll never understand why people single it out so often. And yes, I played the NTSC version.

Does the rest of your gaming library consist of Shadow of the Colossus?

blu said:

Really? I had no slowdown during him. For me it only occursed with Odette, the first Dragon, and when I used the light potion in the land of the dead.

blu said:

So because my experience was different then yours I'm wearing pink glasses?

blu

Flying_Phoenix said:
Really? I had no slowdown during him. For me it only occursed with Odette, the first Dragon, and when I used the light potion in the land of the dead.
play that boss fight again - it's a real deep diver. i played it last night as part of my pooka prince replay (favorite character) and i cringed throughout the better part of the fight. avoiding brigan's foot stomps while playing a slide show is an entirely unique kind of experience - a tactical one.

So because my experience was different then yours I'm wearing pink glasses?
while you're right that experience is subjective, i really doubt you copy of the game had better, or for that matter different, framerate than mine. and to try and take our talk back on topic, i'd really hate to see oboro suffering from OS framerates, despite my awareness that this could be fine with some players out there.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Slowdown isn't an "unexplainable performance issue".

Full circle to what?

Odin Sphere Hateers vs Odin Sphere Defense Force?

Ooo pretty 2D game - Odin SPhere sucked!, No it didn't!, slowdown, unplayable, RABBLE, RABBLE - Ooo pretty 2D game - Odin SPhere sucked!, No it didn't!, slowdown, unplayable, RABBLE, RABBLE - Why is this on Wii and not an HD console?/C-c-c-c-combo-breaker! - Ooo pretty 2D game - Odin SPhere sucked!, No it didn't!, slowdown, unplayable, RABBLE, RABBLE

blu said:
play that boss fight again - it's a real deep diver. i played it last night as part of my pooka prince replay (favorite character) and i cringed throughout the better part of the fight. avoiding brigan's foot stomps while playing a slide show is an entirely unique kind of experience - a tactical one.

while you're right that experience is subjective, i really doubt you copy of the game had better, or for that matter different, framerate than mine. and to try and take our talk back on topic, i'd really hate to see oboro suffering from OS framerates, despite my awareness that this could be fine with some players out there.

Could it be because I had a later edition of the PS2 model? I mean that's all I can think of because I clearly remember no other slowdown in other boss fights. I firmly remember what parts of the game had slowdown and what didn't.

jaundicejuice said:
Ooo pretty 2D game - Odin SPhere sucked!, No it didn't!, slowdown, unplayable, RABBLE, RABBLE - Ooo pretty 2D game - Odin SPhere sucked!, No it didn't!, slowdown, unplayable, RABBLE, RABBLE - Why is this on Wii and not an HD console?/C-c-c-c-combo-breaker! - Ooo pretty 2D game - Odin SPhere sucked!, No it didn't!, slowdown, unplayable, RABBLE, RABBLE

Odin Sphere = The PS2's Devil May Cry 4?

Blueblur1

Flying_Phoenix said:
Yeah this game is supposably Odin Sphere only with a more action oriented battle system and more variety in stages.

Just curious to as of where you are in the game.
I started yesterday. I'm at the end of Valkyrie, specifically Chapter 6.

Blueblur1 said:
I started yesterday. I'm at the end of Valkyrie, specifically Chapter 6.

I see glad your enjoying it.

Though I must warn you that every backdrop and most bosses you've fought are going to be fought again for the next 4 or 5 books. If you can take that then you're opinion on the game probably won't change.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
jaundicejuice said:
:lol

The Dead Space Extraction thread still wins though, it comes full circle each 10 or so posts.

wsippel

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
Slowdown isn't an "unexplainable performance issue".
There are several potential reasons for slowdowns. Hardware limitations, bad code or problems with the design of the scene(s) in question. In this case, the same scenes ran on the same hardware with no performance issues after an update - there was either a problem, or "bug", with the actual engine or some script(s).

Well, I guess it wasn't really unexplainable (at least to Vanillaware - or else they couldn't have fixed it), but definitely unneccessary...

Blueblur1

Flying_Phoenix said:
I see glad your enjoying it.

Though I must warn you that every backdrop and most bosses you've fought are going to be fought again for the next 4 or 5 books. If you can take that then you're opinion on the game probably won't change.
I know about the multiple characters so I saw that coming. I'll keep at it because I really want to play as the other characters and see what different events they go through.

Souther

Banned
THIS GAME!!!

what_833.jpg

Flying_Phoenix said:
How? I don't remember seeing any glitches for the game.
I dont recall any glitches either....that framerate was a complete abomination. It was so bad that I went from angry to humored within seconds :lol Its the first game where Ive actually experienced a "halt" on the action due to the framerate being low.

bdouble

Have I mentioned that every time this thread comes up I leak a little?

Seriously. About the only thing holding me back from purchasing a Ps3 is the fact that it doesn't have B/C with the Ps2 and I can't play Odin Sphere.

Fuu said:
Sorry, there's no way to downplay the amount of slowdown in OS, it was pretty heavy when the amount of things on the screen went up. The fights against Odette at the netherworld with that fuckton of summoned flying skeletons was simply absurd. And the load times when you visited the cafe and restaurant... Ugh.

Muramasa looks awesome and shows a lot of promise but I'll only allow myself to get truly hyped when we hear about how the final build will actually run.
There was only noticeable slowdown in that fight, and that's it. Seriously. Nowhere else. Much of the load times and other problems were attributed to the PS2 hardware (which could not handle the amount of beautiful shit going on at once in-game).

I CAN and WILL downplay the slowdown in OS since it was only noticeable at all in one fucking fight.

bdouble said:
Have I mentioned that every time this thread comes up I leak a little?

Seriously. About the only thing holding me back from purchasing a Ps3 is the fact that it doesn't have B/C with the Ps2 and I can't play Odin Sphere.

That's funny because on the 60GB PS3 Odin Sphere runs amazingly (the slowdown is gone). Have you played Odin Sphere or are you referring to that as you play it regularly?

ZephyrFate said:
There was only noticeable slowdown in that fight, and that's it. Seriously. Nowhere else. Much of the load times and other problems were attributed to the PS2 hardware (which could not handle the amount of beautiful shit going on at once in-game).

I CAN and WILL downplay the slowdown in OS since it was only noticeable at all in one fucking fight.

While I admit the problem of slowdown is downplayed in your post I do agree that the complaints of slowdown is fucking ridiuclous. I mean besides encountering 2 specific bosses and using the light potion in the land of the dead the framerate was always stable for me. Maybe peoples PS2's cramping out?

blu

ZephyrFate said:

clearly a joke post.

also, i too would like to see OS running at its meant performance levels, but i doubt there's such a platform capable of doing that ATM. hopefully in the not-too-distant future there will exist a ps2 emulator capable of 'overclocking' the platform to degrees allowing OS to actually have stable framerate.

here's to hoping oboro will play smooth on its original platform.

Ledsen

jaundicejuice said:
Did you even look at the context of what you quoted?

Yes of course? One guy says he didn't think non-HD games had "single-digit framerate" problems. You say "Play Odin Sphere" which implies that Odin Sphere is an example of a game with "single-digit framerate". If I interpreted it wrong, I apologize.

ZephyrFate said:

I agree completely. The only technical issue that bothered me in OS was the load time for the Café, since you have to use it constantly if you want to level your characters HP to reasonable levels.

Twig

Banned
ZephyrFate said:

This is so wrong. Objectively wrong. There's absolutely no way, unless you had some sort of super PS2, you didn't notice the slowdown in any fight outside Odette.

TheOneGuy said:
This is so wrong. Objectively wrong. There's absolutely no way, unless you had some sort of super PS2, you didn't notice the slowdown in any fight outside Odette.

Are people using first generation PS2's? I mean really I didn't have that bad of a proble of slowdown outside of Odette and the first Dragon and the light in the land of the dead. I'm being serious here.

Ledsen said:
I agree completely. The only technical issue that bothered me in OS was the load time for the Café, since you have to use it constantly if you want to level your characters HP to reasonable levels.

The thing is you have to rarely level up your character at all in the game. That's why you ate at the cafe to level up because the need to level up was so few and far inbetween. I had to level up once at every chapter if even that.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
jaundicejuice said:
60GB BC eliminates slowdown in Odin Sphere? I should give that a shot then.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this is false. There's just as much slowdown as their ever was in the game when playing on a 60GB PS3.

Kintaro said:
I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this is false. There's just as much slowdown as their ever was in the game when playing on a 60GB PS3.

Yup. Also with the 60GB PS3 I noticed a tendency for the game to tell you your game save was corrupted when you went to save it. Thankfully you're already going into save, so you can just overwrite the corrupt save. I kept multiple virtual memory card saves regardless.

Twig

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
Are people using first generation PS2's? I mean really I didn't have that bad of a proble of slowdown outside of Odette and the first Dragon and the light in the land of the dead. I'm being serious here.
Hmm. My PS2 is admittedly old and has had numerous DREs -- fixed four times by Sony, to no avail. (In fact it's currently dead so I can't play shit! And Sony won't fix it again, the bastards.)

I suppose it's possible later PS2s could be better. But man I got FPS drops on almost every boss. Still loved the game, though.

Kintaro said:

Really? I guess those claims I heard were false then.

TheOneGuy said:
Hmm. My PS2 is admittedly old and has had numerous DREs -- fixed four times by Sony, to no avail. (In fact it's currently dead so I can't play shit! And Sony won't fix it again, the bastards.)

I suppose it's possible later PS2s could be better. But man I got FPS drops on almost every boss. Still loved the game, though.

Has to be it. I have the later fat PS2 that had an improve drive (supporting CD-R and CD-RW). Maybe Odin Sphere was developed for these PS2's instead?

blu

Flying_Phoenix said:
Has to be it. I have the later fat PS2 that had an improve drive (supporting CD-R and CD-RW). Maybe Odin Sphere was developed for these PS2's instead?
or maybe your recollections of the game are fading to an idealized fairly tale. the game does not read anything from the drive during gameplay, speach during in-engine cutscenes notwithstanding. and initial stages loading.

there are no sped up ps2 models, never were, never will be - that'd more than surely break compatibility with a great deal of the ps2 library. same hold true for the hardware backwards-compatible ps3s.

truth is, many boss fights in OS exhibit slowdowns, some to the point of being ridiculous. again, i'm saying this as somebody who greatly enjoyed the game. despite the framerate mess that it was.

apropos, my pstwo is a v14 (75001 slim model) - not the latest but one of the later models. and 5 min of google searching will tell you that there never were any fixes to the game's 'greatest hits' edition - that was just a reprint. it is not known what ubisoft did for the pal release, though, and the 50hz output rate must have surely helped alleviate the framerate issue too.

TheOneGuy said:
I played the game recently, and it is still fresh in my mind. The only noticeable, absolutely annoying slowdown was during the Odette fight.

And by the way, the devs. did come out and say in an interview later that a lot of the issues the game had were because of Odin Sphere being too powerful for the PS2 hardware.

I am not being biased. If you count the pause before the final blow from all the characters as slowdown... well, that was an artistic touch, not actual game slowdown. Other than that, only the Odette fight proved problematic.

RobertM

ZephyrFate said:
I played the game recently, and it is still fresh in my mind. The only noticeable, absolutely annoying slowdown was during the Odette fight.

And by the way, the devs. did come out and say in an interview later that a lot of the issues the game had were because of Odin Sphere being too powerful for the PS2 hardware.

I am not being biased. If you count the pause before the final blow from all the characters as slowdown... well, that was an artistic touch, not actual game slowdown. Other than that, only the Odette fight proved problematic.
I'm actually playing this game right, still stuck on Odette, and I can truly say that the game slowdowns (to a crawl) the most during her fight, but the slowdowns are very noticeable when you have lots of enemies on screen outside of that battle. I have the game installed on the hard drive, which didn't help with performance at all.

johnsmith

remember me
ZephyrFate said:

You are wrong. There's slowdown during many more places. The fights with the dragon in the sewers has massive slowdown from all the debris and rocks flying around and the wizard also shooting fireballs and swords at you, for one.

Twig

Banned
johnsmith said:
You are wrong. There's slowdown during many more places. The fights with the dragon in the sewers has massive slowdown from all the debris and rocks flying around and the wizard also shooting fireballs and swords at you, for one.
That one was atrocious, yeah.

Ugh. Just remembering it... And it was a pretty hard fight to boot. ): At least Odette was always easy.

johnsmith said:
Uhhh... nope, I don't think so. I didn't get much slowdown at all when that happened, except for when I crit-hitted them into oblivion.

I usually focused on one or the other so I usually only dealt with one or the other onscreen, which didn't amount to much slowdown.

johnsmith said:

That would be where the framerate of the game shifted from FPS to SPF

blu said:
or maybe your recollections of the game are fading to an idealized fairly tale. the game does not read anything from the drive during gameplay, speach during in-engine cutscenes notwithstanding. and initial stages loading.

Or maybe I didn't experience as much slowdown as you did for some reason. Seriously I've already stated mulitple times that I've not experienced that much slowdown, I even posted in forums after I just beating the game with this arguement. If you won't believe me then that's your problem.

johnsmith said:

Ugh don't remind me.

Top Bottom