• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Oboro Muramasa pics! 2D awesomeness! :o

Famitsu has a new article on the game, in which they point out that you'll be able to choose between two modes to go through the game : the "Musou" mode, which puts an emphasis on the characters evolution and growth strategies, and the "Shura" mode, which is purely focused on action. [edit] See below for details on this.

Joule

Stormbringer said:
Famitsu has a new article on the game, in which they point out that you'll be able to choose between two modes to go through the game : the "Musou" mode, which puts an emphasis on the characters evolution and the strategic aspect, and the "Shura" mode, which is purely focused on action, and relies less on skills than the other mode.
That sounds pretty interesting, any details on how exactly each mode differs from one another?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Putting it like that it sounds like easy/hard mode. I wonder about the details.

TreIII

Fuu said:
Putting it like that it sounds like easy/hard mode. I wonder about the details.

Not necessarily...I think it's more of a thing that Vanillaware is trying to appease two different audiences at once.

Musou mode is for those who want more along the lines of what Odin Sphere gave (items, skills, char growth), while Shura mode can be more for those like me, who perhaps may take to a mode that's more pure action-based, like a duck to water.

On paper, that sounds quite nice, as my first impressions of Muramasa, a while back, were like something along the lines of "High Graphical Quality Legend of Kage", and a mode that would give me just that would be nice. Hopefully, neither mode will suffer on the account of the other, though.

Stormbringer said:
Famitsu has a new article on the game, in which they point out that you'll be able to choose between two modes to go through the game : the "Musou" mode, which puts an emphasis on the characters evolution and the strategic aspect, and the "Shura" mode, which is purely focused on action, while relying less on skills than the other mode.

Interesting. So a mode for people who understood and/or enjoyed Odin Sphere. And a mode for people who didn't understand and/or hated Odin Sphere but wanted an action game.

Nice move Vanillaware. :D

TreIII said:
Not necessarily...I think it's more of a thing that Vanillaware is trying to appease two different audiences at once.

Musou mode is for those who want more along the lines of what Odin Sphere gave (items, skills, char growth), while Shura mode can be more for those like me, who perhaps may take to a mode that's more pure action-based, like a duck to water.

On paper, that sounds quite nice, as my first impressions of Muramasa, a while back, were like something along the lines of "High Graphical Quality Legend of Kage", and a mode that would give me just that would be nice. Hopefully, neither mode will suffer on the account of the other, though.

QFT

Fuu

TreIII said:

I meant it more like they would make Shura mode too easy on the enemies to account for the lack of character evolution or Musou too hard to counterbalance the possible abuse of the evolution system (however it will work). I hope one doesn't suffer because of the other too, now I want an interview where they talk about how was the focus on those modes.

More infos from online retailer Game Star :

- More than 30 different types of stages.
- Collect up to 108 different swords, which you can temper at the forges.
- A variety of different ougis (special techs)
- Wiimote + Nunchuk, Classic Controller, and Gamecube controller all supported

http://gmstar.com/wii/oboromuramasa.html

[edit] They also indicate that the Shura/Action Mode relies, in fact, quite a bit on the player skills, and tends to be aimed at experienced action games players. So it could be that it's not that the action mode requires "less skills", but simply that both modes actually require different types of skills, with one being aimed at RPG gamers, and the other one at action gamers.

Stormbringer said:
More infos from online retailer Game Star :

http://gmstar.com/wii/oboromuramasa.html

Stormbringer said:

Stormbringer said:

Win.

Buggy Loop said:
Wiimote + nunchuk

Not motion+

I don't really think it's going to matter from the looks of the combat. (Slash, slash, slash, slash).

CrisKre said:
lol. oh. i was wondering what motion+ could ever do for this game. still shitawesome though.

That saying I do think that motion + could do wonders for a 2D Devil May Cry.

Anyway I'm really excited about this game. It seems like this is the game Vanillaware wanted to make with Odin Sphere but didn't have the funds to do so.

Ranger X said:
Well, I'm prepared for this to actually means "there's 30 different backgrounds in the game".
That's probably exactly what it means. I really love the look of Vanillaware's 2D efforts, but typically the graphical fidelity comes at the expense of overall variety and level design. I haven't seen anything about this game that indicates it will be any different.

TreIII

Stormbringer said:
[edit] They also indicate that the Shura/Action Mode relies, in fact, quite a bit on the player skills, and tends to be aimed at experienced action games players. So it could be that it's not that the action mode requires "less skills", but simply that both modes actually require different types of skills, with one being aimed at RPG gamers, and the other one at action gamers.

So, in other words, basically what I was thinking from my last post? Good.

Again though, I merely hope that they were able to deliver a balanced experience for both games. Would not want to see either mode compromised for the sake of the other.

Tenbatsu

lwutw.jpg
:D
http://www.famitsu.com/image/179/ygGcfus752N3bFjOoYvPpm6LGd37XqSa.html

Fuu

2jdj0vk.jpg

nbc3zd.jpg

^ Loving the little floating head souls. Hyoi Gattai and stuff.

vh3yxj.jpg

x4kdgg.jpg

^ Fuck yeah, nudity! Monkeys! Fox Lady!

I know you guys love Momohime but I personally can't wait to play with Kisuke.

Nice pics :D . By the way, the official site has been updated with various infos and pics, as well as a nice little BGM on the frontpage. They also mention briefly the two game modes/play styles mentioned above. As a comparison they basically state that while the Musou mode relies more on being a skilled RPG gamer, which includes emphasis on character's growth and sword forging/collecting to put up against the various enemies, the Shura Mode relies more on being a skilled and thoughtful action gamer, especially against the bosses (which are actually stronger in this mode), each with their own patterns and weak points...
Again, as already mentioned by TreIII, here's hoping both modes are balanced enough so they compliment, and not hinder, each other.

P.S : Oh, and by the way, Hitoshi Sakimoto is confirmed as being "sound producer" on this game (via the official blog's latest update).

TreIII

Stormbringer said:
Again, as already mentioned by TreIII, here's hoping both modes are balanced enough so they compliment, and not hinder, each other.

:D

It will be interesting if they were some how able to pull this off, without a hitch, though.

I mean, Lord knows I've been wishing that series like Castlevania would be able to do something like this, so that both Castleroid and traditional CV-lovers would both have something in most modern games.

P.S : Oh, and by the way, Hitoshi Sakimoto is confirmed as being "sound producer" on this game (via the official blog's latest update).

Good stuff, as well. Sakimoto FTW.

As I did with Arc Rise Fantasia's logo, I ripped Muramasa's box from Amazon:

3361317330_644edb33d5_b.jpg

Unfortunitely, the original resolution can't be kept in flickr, and I can only upload it through Photobucket, but I have to convert it to .jpg which adds noticeable artifacts. :/

Lee N said:
ripped it from amazon? it's really lowres on the japanese amazon page. Am I missing something?

Zoom function me dear friend, zoom function. It's a common new feature at Amazon. ;)

Urban Scholar said:
What deity does a man have to pray to in hopes they keep that for us in the US?

Fret not, I asked XSEED about this very issue, they see no real need to change anything! :D

Reply:

First time I've seen the Japanese boxfront, but it looks pretty sharp. Don't see why we'd have to change it for the US (other than logos, of course).

Lee N

Membre
Hero of Legend said:
Zoom function me dear friend, zoom function. It's a common new feature at Amazon. ;)
Yeah, I just figured it out myself (as shown in my edit above). But thanks.

dragonlife29 said:
Strangely, I wanna play as the girl :lol But what can I say...I like her outfit D:

I'm not even going to lie about this, I want to play with her first just because of that whole bath house area. Yeah...no shame!

Lee N said:
Well, me too. But it was pretty easy to assemble once i noticed how amazon stores the images.

Here are all twelve parts for the image:

.. and even then there seems to be some dynamic trickery with the link, might be able to make it load the entire image in one go somehow. Will need to investigate this further.

HA!!! Just make every url into images and put them together in the correct order from top left to the bottom right:

a=B000VSW7NO+d=_SCR(3,0,0)_+o=01+s=RMTILE+va=MAIN+ve=251524089+e=.jpg
a=B000VSW7NO+d=_SCR(3,1,0)_+o=01+s=RMTILE+va=MAIN+ve=251524089+e=.jpg
a=B000VSW7NO+d=_SCR(3,2,0)_+o=01+s=RMTILE+va=MAIN+ve=251524089+e=.jpg

a=B000VSW7NO+d=_SCR(3,0,1)_+o=01+s=RMTILE+va=MAIN+ve=251524089+e=.jpg
a=B000VSW7NO+d=_SCR(3,1,1)_+o=01+s=RMTILE+va=MAIN+ve=251524089+e=.jpg
a=B000VSW7NO+d=_SCR(3,2,1)_+o=01+s=RMTILE+va=MAIN+ve=251524089+e=.jpg

a=B000VSW7NO+d=_SCR(3,0,2)_+o=01+s=RMTILE+va=MAIN+ve=251524089+e=.jpg
a=B000VSW7NO+d=_SCR(3,1,2)_+o=01+s=RMTILE+va=MAIN+ve=251524089+e=.jpg
a=B000VSW7NO+d=_SCR(3,2,2)_+o=01+s=RMTILE+va=MAIN+ve=251524089+e=.jpg

a=B000VSW7NO+d=_SCR(3,0,3)_+o=01+s=RMTILE+va=MAIN+ve=251524089+e=.jpg
a=B000VSW7NO+d=_SCR(3,1,3)_+o=01+s=RMTILE+va=MAIN+ve=251524089+e=.jpg
a=B000VSW7NO+d=_SCR(3,2,3)_+o=01+s=RMTILE+va=MAIN+ve=251524089+e=.jpg

Genius I say! :lol

Lee N

Membre
Hero of Legend said:
HA!!! Just make every url into images and put them together in the correct order from top left to the bottom right

Genius I say! :lol
Yeah, that works if your screen and/or browser window is big enough, otherwise it'll break the images up.

People on netbooks might have troubles viewing it like that.

jsrv

Fuu said:
A lot of awesome images
Sold for sure. Hope it gets dual-audio so I can play the game twice with a little more variety

Absolutely loved Odin Sphere from beginning to end; if that was any indication of how this game would play out I'll probably like it just as much

GhaleonQ

Okay, so, I know that no game has the right to become a hit, but come ON. They made it objectively gorgeous. They put it on the Wii. They utilized the Wii's stuff capably. The music's brilliant. The concept is easily understandable. They're fricking accomodating EVERY type of gamer, even though they don't have to do so. The level and enemy/boss design appear to be well-done.

For God's sake, Vanillaware deserves a smash.

Top Bottom