• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Oboro Muramasa pics! 2D awesomeness! :o

Volcynika

ZealousD said:
How do you have your sections organized right now?

I usually follow a sort of basic framework at least for the threads I've made, usually:

-Banner-

-Basic Information-

-Story-

-Features-

-Release Dates-

-Images

-Videos-

-Reviews-

-FAQ-

Of course, there can be sections about some characters, some artwork things, etc. It's pretty flexible. Shane has said he could provide some art/screens if need be, too. I'm pretty good at gathering information, but the image work I'm not so good at, and with a game as visually appealing as this, I don't know if I'd do it any favors :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Volcynika said:
I'm planning on having one up tomorrow evening, just need some time to put some stuff together. Any help with something like banners/headers or w/e from anyone would be appreciated, though!
I thought you were trolling Muramasa because you didn't like it o_O

GhostSeed

Volcynika said:
I'm planning on having one up tomorrow evening, just need some time to put some stuff together. Any help with something like banners/headers or w/e from anyone would be appreciated, though!

Here's a quick and dirty banner I through together.

800 x 200
2vdogtw.jpg

1000 x 250
i4rgjm.jpg

Volcynika

Halycon said:
I thought you were trolling Muramasa because you didn't like it o_O

Nah, I still have rage about English VA, it's just I won't fill an official thread OP with something like that, because it's silly. They know my stance, and that's all that needs to be said. Also, nice banner GhostSeed. Not sure what all ZealousD has done, but hopefully we can work it in there.

-PXG-

So, am I going to see any of you on Saturday? Look out for a black dude with a tan messenger back and a black and gold hoody. :D

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Volcynika said:
Not sure what all ZealousD has done, but hopefully we can work it in there.

Sorry, played a bit too much Metroid last night and I've got homework to do today. Probably won't have time to do anything.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I know I'm resurrecting an old talking point, but I'm really glad they're not doing English VA. I'm very situational when it comes to my choice in VA, and when a game is set in feudal japan and is full of Japanese cultural/historical influence, the last thing I want to see is people speaking to each other in English. That just seems silly to me.

It's just as silly to me to want to play Metal Gear in Japanese. Sure, it's developed in Japan, but all the characters are American.

(very off-topic, but this was one of the best parts of Inglourious basterds: authentic language)

I personally don't get people that rage over a lack of English dubs. Do these people just dislike reading that much?

thetrin said:
I know I'm resurrecting an old talking point, but I'm really glad they're not doing English VA. I'm very situational when it comes to my choice in VA, and when a game is set in feudal japan and is full of Japanese cultural/historical influence, the last thing I want to see is people speaking to each other in English. That just seems silly to me.

It's just as silly to me to want to play Metal Gear in Japanese. Sure, it's developed in Japan, but all the characters are American.

(very off-topic, but this was one of the best parts of Inglourious basterds: authentic language)

I personally don't get people that rage over a lack of English dubs. Do these people just dislike reading that much?

Agree completely. I usually don't give a shit on the sub vs dub debate, but like you said, when a game takes place in feudal japan, say like Onimusha, english dubs seem kind of out of place. For anime-looking rpgs and such, I frankly don't care one way or the other.

I agree with you, thetrin, I'm a subtitle elitist... but I do understand the flipside and I think it should still be an option.

But if there's anything I wish for in the game, it's CUSTOMIZABLE CONTROLS! I just found out that attack on the classic controller is A and B. I'd prefer X and Y, and jump being a button and not up on the dpad!!

Volcynika

ZealousD said:
Sorry, played a bit too much Metroid last night and I've got homework to do today. Probably won't have time to do anything.

YOU DAMN ADDICT :p

That's fine, I'll use GhostSeed's spiffy banner and Shane's got some artwork heading my way. Expect it before the night is over guys! (At least my night) Still thinking of the thread title name, any suggestions?

batbeg

thetrin said:

This strawman is getting really, really fucking annoying. It has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of desire to read - several members in this very thread have mentioned their hope for the VAs to have an "Off" option so they can read without any aural cues.

For myself it culminates into a frustration with it for several reasons.
  • The direction of the voice acting sounds very unappealing to me; unlike something like Odin Sphere which had a calm, poetic tone to it, these voice actors sound like they've had lines taken out of the typical anime. I don't know a great deal about Japanese history, sure, but somehow I tend to doubt feudal Japanese samurais talked like this. It grates, to me.
  • Even if that is how they sounded, I still don't like it. I prefer Rurouni Kenshin in English, and Samurai Champloo too. Go figure.
  • It bespeaks a lack of effort on Ignition. This is a company who are trying to actually better Atlus in the next year or two, according to themselves. It's nice to have aspirations, but they already have a history of less than stellar localizations. Moreso, Muramasa is perhaps their first "major" title since Shane has come aboard to take them to new heights, and thus should come under greater scrutiny. And hey, guess what? They're doing half the localization work but charging the same price! Fantastic. Atlus 1 > Ignition 0
  • Choice is a good thing. It seems ridiculous you would say you are "really glad" they're not doing English VA. So what, if they'd so much as matched their competitors work on the previous studios game, you could have your choice, and I could have mine. What do you know, Atlus 2 > Ignition 0.

These aren't attacks, but you asked for the reasons, and here they are. It doesn't change the fact the game is a day one title for me - doubly so as I'll be purchasing from Rising Star, so Ignition hopefully don't see shit from European sales.

Gryphter said:
I agree with you, thetrin, I'm a subtitle elitist... but I do understand the flipside and I think it should still be an option.

But if there's anything I wish for in the game, it's CUSTOMIZABLE CONTROLS! I just found out that attack on the classic controller is A and B. I'd prefer X and Y, and jump being a button and not up on the dpad!!

God yes. Jump should NEVER be mapped to the up button.

Volcynika said:
Still thinking of the thread title name, any suggestions?

I have some ideas:

The Official Muramasa: The Demon Blade thread of tentacle rape on the high seas (include a pic of the magazine cover in the OP)

The Official Muramasa: The Demon Blade thread of Japanese characters speaking Japanese

The Official Muramasa: The Demon Blade thread of Amazon's preorder was a what?

edit: you could also substitute Brade for Blade

Volcynika

'Official' Street date is the 8th. Not sure if Gamestops are getting it and releasing it early. Nintendo World Store Event will be selling it at the event there on the 5th.

Giolon

Gryphter said:
I have some ideas:
The Official Muramasa: The Demon Blade thread of Japanese characters speaking Japanese

That's pretty good.

All I've got to say is that that Play Magazine cover had better be on the official thread OP somewhere lol.

I hit Best Buy and Super Target on my lunch hunting for this game, not realizing that it doesn't hit till next week. Dumbass on me.

So I bought the Metroid Prime Trilogy instead. Damn these monies burning holes in my pockets.

I have never played a Vanillaware game, I missed out on their PS2 stuff, cause my PS2 gave up the ghost over a year ago and I never saw fit to replace it. The screens and videos of this game have really sold me though.

ZealousD

Volcynika said:
'Official' Street date is the 8th. Not sure if Gamestops are getting it and releasing it early. Nintendo World Store Event will be selling it at the event there on the 5th.

A small nitpick, but "ship" date and "street" date mean different things. If a title is street dated, that means that stores get copies of the game early and they have to wait a few days or a week or so before they can sell it. Muramasa isn't street dated, so it's being shipped on the 8th, meaning most stores should have it on the 9th. Although the GameStop situation is kind of odd.

Gamestop usually calls with an automated message saying that a game you preordered will be available the next day. Haven't gotten one of those for Muramasa yet, I'm really hoping to pick it up tomorrow though.

I just got the call from Gamestop, recognized the number so I picked it up. It was just 30 seconds of silence, no automated recording ever started. I know it was for Muramasa, but I didn't find out when or what time to pick it up, grrr

ZealousD

Gryphter said:
Gamestop usually calls with an automated message saying that a game you preordered will be available the next day. Haven't gotten one of those for Muramasa yet, I'm really hoping to pick it up tomorrow though.

It usually happens in the evenings. I wouldn't get all antsy quite yet.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
batbeg said:
This strawman is getting really, really fucking annoying. It has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of desire to read - several members in this very thread have mentioned their hope for the VAs to have an "Off" option so they can read without any aural cues.

For myself it culminates into a frustration with it for several reasons.
  • The direction of the voice acting sounds very unappealing to me; unlike something like Odin Sphere which had a calm, poetic tone to it, these voice actors sound like they've had lines taken out of the typical anime. I don't know a great deal about Japanese history, sure, but somehow I tend to doubt feudal Japanese samurais talked like this. It grates, to me.
  • Even if that is how they sounded, I still don't like it. I prefer Rurouni Kenshin in English, and Samurai Champloo too. Go figure.
  • It bespeaks a lack of effort on Ignition. This is a company who are trying to actually better Atlus in the next year or two, according to themselves. It's nice to have aspirations, but they already have a history of less than stellar localizations. Moreso, Muramasa is perhaps their first "major" title since Shane has come aboard to take them to new heights, and thus should come under greater scrutiny. And hey, guess what? They're doing half the localization work but charging the same price! Fantastic. Atlus 1 > Ignition 0
  • Choice is a good thing. It seems ridiculous you would say you are "really glad" they're not doing English VA. So what, if they'd so much as matched their competitors work on the previous studios game, you could have your choice, and I could have mine. What do you know, Atlus 2 > Ignition 0.

These aren't attacks, but you asked for the reasons, and here they are. It doesn't change the fact the game is a day one title for me - doubly so as I'll be purchasing from Rising Star, so Ignition hopefully don't see shit from European sales.

1) They talk like samurai in Japanese TV dramas. Thematically pretty familiar.
2) That...makes absolutely no sense to me, but whatever.
3) They're trying to preserve the Japanese nature and atmosphere of the game. You translated that as doing less work? I'd rather they not bother and stick to the JP dubs instead of try and fail. I don't want english dubs that suck ass when they could put that time into something else (either other aspects of the game, or another game altogether).
4) Choice is great, but when they HAVEN'T implemented something, and it rules in my favor, why would I complain? I got what I wanted. Now if they had both english and japanese dubs, I wouldn't ask that they take them OUT.

Besides, English dubs (both in anime and in translated Japanese games) are still pretty fucking bad. I'd like to think they've improved a lot, but I still feel like killing myself when I hear the caliber of voice acting that's coming out of localization. It still doesn't match the kind of talent american made games get.

I don't expect stellar voice acting from Ignition, and I imagine there's a possibility they knew they couldn't pull it off in satisfactory way, so instead they took the path that makes the most sense.

batbeg

Sorry, long post ahead ;.;

thetrin said:
1) They talk like samurai in Japanese TV dramas. Thematically pretty familiar.

Having never seen a Japanese TV drama, likely as most English speaking audiences, I can't say. I'm fairly sure Ignition publish games for English speaking people.

thetrin said:
2) That...makes absolutely no sense to me, but whatever.

I just prefer something I understand, as the tones and inflections better match my own ability to read what is being conveyed. I've been trying to absorb as little information from this before playing it, anyway, but I'm almost positive integrity to the reality of the period is thrown out the window in about 5 minutes anyway. Unless Japan really had cyclops and magic and shit, I don't know.

thetrin said:
3) They're trying to preserve the Japanese nature and atmosphere of the game. You translated that as doing less work? I'd rather they not bother and stick to the JP dubs instead of try and fail. I don't want english dubs that suck ass when they could put that time into something else (either other aspects of the game, or another game altogether).

There is no other way to interpret it. They did not have to hire new voice actors, or a voice director, or rent out a recording studio, or hire a professional company to take care of. This game is seen as a spiritual sequel to Odin Sphere, which was published by Atlus, so it's extremely interesting you're praising Ignition for doing less work than Atlus, when we're in a new generation and frankly stakes are higher than ever.

I myself said it when it was announced that this was a double edged sword for me. I have absolutely no faith in Ignition hiring competent English voice actors anyway, and I know I would have stuck to the English track regardless of how good or bad it was (unless it were like Chaos Wars or whatever that game was called).

They clearly have their reasons for doing it, but those reasons reflect on their own needs before their fans, which is another area Atlus excels in. They wanted a cheaper localization which they could hurry to the market before a flurry of titles - basically, maximize their own profits, but at the cost of choice, which is something I'm sure Atlus or XSEED would have managed.

thetrin said:
4) Choice is great, but when they HAVEN'T implemented something, and it rules in my favor, why would I complain? I got what I wanted. Now if they had both english and japanese dubs, I wouldn't ask that they take them OUT.

That isn't what I was saying... I was saying it's ridiculous to go out of your way to compliment a half-assed effort just because it's kept your personal option in there. Your exact words were "I'm really glad they're not doing English VA." Obviously it's one thing to say you're happy the Japanese dub is there, but it's quite another to praise them restricting everyones options.

thetrin said:
Besides, English dubs (both in anime and in translated Japanese games) are still pretty fucking bad.

I've been a pretty big fan of anime and video games for most of my life, to be honest... and I've never managed to like Japanese VA. I have always preferred English. And this is a ridiculously outdated viewpoint; Final Fantasy XII, Dragon Quest, Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, etc. English localization is fucking fantastic these days.

thetrin said:
I don't expect stellar voice acting from Ignition, and I imagine there's a possibility they knew they couldn't pull it off in satisfactory way, so instead they took the path that makes the most sense.

I don't expect shit from Ignition, frankly. Shane has made it sound like the company is heading for new horizons and all I'm seeing is a muddied past with an unsure future, and a half-assed present. But regardless, Ignition wouldn't have needed to handle the voice acting in-house - they could have hired a company with better expertise to handle it for them.

While cost will obviously increase with the talent, I don't see it as an entirely unreasonable action to at least do it - Vic Ireland himself said before hiring English VAs only offsets the need for a few thousand more units sold.

And, by the way, I'd be as vehemently pissed off with Ignition if they had done English VA but dropped the Japanese. This is about expectations and options; Ignition want to challenge the throne? Then do the fucking legwork. While I'd be disappointed by the lack of English VA with any publisher, it certainly strikes me as a much more ballsy move coming from Ignition.

thetrin

batbeg said:
Having never seen a Japanese TV drama, likely as most English speaking audiences, I can't say. I'm fairly sure Ignition publish games for English speaking people.

Sure, but you could level this argument at any part of Muramasa for being "too Japanese". I commend them for keeping the game as close as possible to its original incarnation, while still making it playable for English speakers (I imagine I'm in the minority, though. I tend to play most Japanese games in japanese these days)

batbeg said:
And, by the way, I'd be as vehemently pissed off with Ignition if they had done English VA but dropped the Japanese. This is about expectations and options; Ignition want to challenge the throne? Then do the fucking legwork. While I'd be disappointed by the lack of English VA with any publisher, it certainly strikes me as a much more ballsy move coming from Ignition.

I hadn't heard any of Ignition's chest puffing concerning their "challenge" to the "throne", so to speak, but this is nothing new to video gaming. Pretty much everyone says they're going places, and then falls on their faces. Usually, the ones who do gangbusters are the ones that shut up and do their jobs.

Atlus wasn't so super duper back in the day. The difference is that they didn't run around with their panties in a knot shouting that they were the be-all end-all of import gaming. They just did their job, and they did it better than anyone else.

On your point of VA in gaming and anime, out of your set of examples, pretty much only FFXII was something I would consider "good." (it was phenomenal, better than the Japanese dub and script if you ask me)

kiryogi

Banned
So checked in with gamestop. No corp emails or anything yet about its release change... so gamestop customers should get it tomorrow!?

I just checked my order on Gamestop.com and it shows the game and the wall scroll as being backordered. I knew I should have ordered it from somewhere else but I had the 10 dollar off from their Metroid Poster fuck up. Gamestop.com really is the shittiest site to order shit from, this will be the last time I do.

Cowie

kiryogi said:
So checked in with gamestop. No corp emails or anything yet about its release change... so gamestop customers should get it tomorrow!?

Yeah, just got a text from gamestop saying my muramasa preorder will be available tomorrow

Giolon

Captain N said:
I just got a text message from Gamestop saying this game will be there tomorrow in the PM.
I just checked my voicemail. I've got the call from "Ashley"! Hell motherfucking yes! Greatest 3 day weekend ever incoming!

Captain N

Gamestop via Text said:
GameStop:Your Muramasa: The Demon Blad order avail Fri PM. Bring game trades to reduce price. Store phone is 714-769-xxxx. To end txt msgs reply STOP

That's the text I got.

thetrin

Looks like Muramasa is indeed tomorrow. A buddy of mine that works at a gamestop I used to work at way back when is holding me a copy and a wall scroll. Yay.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just got the same text.
IF they actually have a wall scroll for me, I'll pick it up.
Otherwise I'll cancel my preorder and pick it up Saturday from the NWS, in the hopes that they get decent goodies as well.

neoism

Holy Shit I just called and my GS is getting them tomorrow too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Of course I pre-ordered on Amazon, I hope I can just walk in and get one tomorrow!

Balya

Shin Johnpv said:
I just checked my order on Gamestop.com and it shows the game and the wall scroll as being backordered. I knew I should have ordered it from somewhere else but I had the 10 dollar off from their Metroid Poster fuck up. Gamestop.com really is the shittiest site to order shit from, this will be the last time I do.

I just checked my order on Gamestop.com and it shows the game and the wall scroll as having shipped. :D

How long ago did you pre-order? I waited until 8/31...

Downhome

Uh, wow, this one sure did sneak up on me. For some reason I was thinking it was coming out around Christmas or early next year. :lol

Hiltz

I got a call from GameStop too. The guy just said the game will be coming soon. Hopefully, it will be tomorrow. Poor guy, I've been bugging him all week about this game. :lol

Top Bottom