• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Oboro Muramasa pics! 2D awesomeness! :o

Yes Boss!

So,

Got an email from Amazon saying that Ignition will not fulfill the preorder poster. They just game me a $10 gift certificate instead. Check your emails!

farnham

Banned
i thought there would be some discussion about this magnificent game due to some people buying it from the bargain bin or something

but no... its all portbegging...

depressing

Renoir

Boney said:
Don't port beg, don't bump old threads

Although it wasn't technically one.
ok now i know.
i didnt want make a thread for this questions. saw rumors bout it wla while back thats all.

I was so confused when I saw the thread title on the first page :)

Regardless I already have my HD version of this game in higher definition than any PS3 version would be anyway.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
VivaciousSoul said:
I was so confused when I saw the thread title on the first page :)

Regardless I already have my HD version of this game in higher definition than any PS3 version would be anyway.
You have upscaled and filtered SD assets. A hypothetical HD port would have the original HD art in game rather than the downsampled Wii sprites and art. 2D isn't 3D to just render in a higher resolution, you need the actual art to be higher resolution itself...

Buy the game as is people, it's great. Longing for a Princess Crown sequel on any platform, portable or not...

farnham

Banned
Renoir said:
ok now i know.
i didnt want make a thread for this questions. saw rumors bout it wla while back thats all.
why dont you just

you know

get a wii or get the game and play it on dolphin or something

Alextended said:
You have upscaled and filtered SD assets. A hypothetical HD port would have the original HD art in game rather than the downsampled Wii sprites and art. 2D isn't 3D to just render in a higher resolution, you need the actual art to be higher resolution itself...

Buy the game as is people, it's great. Longing for a Princess Crown sequel on any platform, portable or not...
Seriously, and it's only $12.96 on Amazon right now!

giggas

HisshouBuraiKen said:
At least he reminded me to go back and find the octopus (squid?) boss with Momohime, I never did encounter him on my original playthroughs.

That Octopus boss is actually really hard! I'm ashamed to admit that I never defeated it. He gets away after a while so you gotta be pretty damn juiced to take him down.

totowhoa

Banned
BentMyWookiee said:
Seriously, and it's only $12.96 on Amazon right now!

Bought!

Thanks! I was really hesitant about this game despite the reviews due to Odin Sphere. Really couldn't get into it, but I loved the art/design for both games. Worth a try at this price.

Zeal

Banned
i own this for Wii, but i decided to fire it up on dolphin emulator in 1080p just to see the difference. i don't think i have ever seen such a night and day comparison. it's seriously the most beautiful 2D game i've ever seen, and looks as though it was meant to run in 1080p originally anyway. emulation is flawless.

the story rocks, the combat never gets old, the music is glorious, and the replay value is almost infinite. then throw in original japanese voice acting with subtitles. what more could you ask for? one of my favorite games.

edit: and if it looks this good being upscaled, playing an HD version without the downsampled Wii sprites would make my head explode.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Zeal said:
edit: and if it looks this good being upscaled, playing an HD version without the downsampled Wii sprites would make my head explode.
I'm not sure there are true 'HD' sprites available - I would guess they created the sprites at a level sufficient for downsampling for a 480p game. They may have sprites at a higher res but to create proper HD sprites they would go much higher than sufficient for 1080p and then downscale to HD resolution. You may see some improvement but I doubt it would be that significant.

poppabk said:
I'm not sure there are true 'HD' sprites available - I would guess they created the sprites at a level sufficient for downsampling for a 480p game. They may have sprites at a higher res but to create proper HD sprites they would go much higher than sufficient for 1080p and then downscale to HD resolution. You may see some improvement but I doubt it would be that significant.
Not sure if it's the same cast here, but at least with Odin Sphere, there are mega-high-res assets available. I have the artbook for the game and there were some examples in it.

Ravidrath

On the HD versions...

They're not happening.

From what I was told, the company isn't big enough to do the ports themselves, so the publisher was looking into finding someone to help them out. However, Kamitani refused to let anyone else know his secret animation technique, basically ending any possibility of the HD versions being made.

He is working on a new game, though, and it is HD.

Zeal said:
I have a feeling the sprites in the game are a bit bigger than standard def but not quite 1080p. However, I can not prove it in any way, shape or form (well actually its fairly easy...emulate at 480p, upscale then emulate at 1080p and see if there is any extra detail compared to the upscale). I can tell from look at the directory tree (in Dolphin right click on game > properties > filesystem) though that it seems all the graphics have two files one of which is larger than the other, and the smaller files are not like checksum small or anything.

_dementia said:
Not sure if it's the same cast here, but at least with Odin Sphere, there are mega-high-res assets available. I have the artbook for the game and there were some examples in it.
Does the artbook state all of the art is at that resolution and if so does all of it look that good. They may have highlighted the best ones. What I'm trying to get it is there might not be a complete games worth of assets.

Lee N

Membre
zoukka said:
It's highly likely, the assets are originally bigger... how much, you can only guess.
Actually, we don't have to guess...

George Kamitani said:
Well, the original art we draw is all done in double-size -- in the case of Muramasa, the animation frames then get compressed down to the Wii's native resolution. As a result, producing a fully HD title would not be a great deal of extra work for us; it would just mean our original art is displayed in higher resolution. It wouldn't be a simple insert -- we retouch the compressed graphics here and there to make sure they look as good as possible -- but it's not restarting from scratch, either.

Source

Starwolf_UK said:
Does the artbook state all of the art is at that resolution and if so does all of it look that good. They may have highlighted the best ones. What I'm trying to get it is there might not be a complete games worth of assets.

I believe Vanillaware hand draws their sprites; they aren't pixel art. If so, that would mean there's no way they couldn't be suitable for for a resolution multiple times higher than even 1080p.

Top Bottom