• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Oculus Quest 2 owner - best VR games?

MrFunSocks

Banned
I'm looking for some games to really show me the best of VR. I've got a good gaming PC (Ryzen 7 5800/RTX3070) so keen to try not only Oculus native games but also PC games on it via AirLink.

What games/experiences will knock my socks off? Thanks in advance!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I have had a Quest 2 since Last Xmas and it's an awesome machine. Some of the best I can name, your choices may vary.

Resident Evil 4- The best version of the game made period!
Beat Saber (modded to add custom songs)
Super Hot
Population One
Pokerstars VR
Walkabout Mini golf
Ultra Wings
Sniper Elite 2
Rocky
Epic Pinball
Star Wars Vader

There is a ton there but that will get you started.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Bookmarking this for next month. Starting with RE4, Walking Dead and I dont know what else yet. Maybe Vader.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I have had a Quest 2 since Last Xmas and it's an awesome machine. Some of the best I can name, your choices may vary.

Resident Evil 4- The best version of the game made period!
Beat Saber (modded to add custom songs)
Super Hot
Population One
Pokerstars VR
Walkabout Mini golf
Ultra Wings
Sniper Elite 2
Rocky
Epic Pinball
Star Wars Vader

There is a ton there but that will get you started.
To add to this list:
-half life alyx
-blade and sorcery (my personal favorite vr game)
-phasmophobia (my personal favorite in general)
-boneworks
-job simulator

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm looking for some games to really show me the best of VR. I've got a good gaming PC (Ryzen 7 5800/RTX3070) so keen to try not only Oculus native games but also PC games on it via AirLink.

Great PC VR games here (many also have native ports to Quest).
Here is a preliminary list of PC VR games I can recommend, obviously always depending on your preferences (and excluding obvious must have shit like Beat Saber and Half-Life: Alyx, just get them, duh). Keep checking back as I do add new games (and I also trim others that are still worthwhile in order to keep it somewhat sensible and short, this isn't all good games but a very good start).

The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is an immersive sim-lite full of tense action alongside some scavenging and crafting.

Cosmodread is an expertly crafted eery roguelite like a mix between System Shock 2 and the developer's previous game Dreadhalls.

Vengeful Rites is an RPG with reactive melee, gesture based spell casting, exploration, puzzles & bosses galore.

Eye of the Temple is an inventive adventure that will bring out your inner Indiana Jones with its clever room scale shenanigans.

VTOL VR is a really cool light simulator of combat aircraft with amazing interactive cockpits perfectly suited for VR.

Song in the Smoke is a made for VR survival action adventure with a clear narrative striving to immerse and amaze.

Budget Cuts is a stealth puzzle adventure series with well integrated teleportation mechanics & humour.

Squingle is a unique puzzle game with abstract visuals & design that's hard to describe and harder to put down.

Apex Construct is a sci fi action adventure with archery and exploration in its post-apocalyptic core.

Myst is the legendary adventure once again reimagined with all that made it special making a great transition to VR.

Vermillion is an incredibly realistic oil painting application that will bring out your inner Bob Ross.

Ancient Dungeon is already one of the finest VR fantasy dungeon crawlers with variety and depth despite the early access status.

Cubism is a wonderful puzzle game that's sure to entertain your neglected grey matter.

I Expect you to Die and its sequel will make you think and laugh with their secret agent themed escapades.

Airborn and SwarmVR are arcade shooters turning you into a flying & grapple hook swinging gun wielding hero respectively.

Eternal Starlight is a smart, intuitive, comprehensive space based Real-Time Strategy game a la Homeworld.

Battlegroup VR is another RTS where you direct your space fleet in first person from the bridge of your flagship.

Grapple Tournament is a next gen PVP arena FPS like UT/Quake with all the classic genre trappings redefined for VR.

Hyper Dash is another arcadey PVP shooter with its own VR twists to the classic formula that are worth checking out.

Stormland is an open world shooter, more limited than its scope hints at first but still fun and engaging while it lasts.

Captain ToonHead vs The Punks from Outer Space offers up a funtastic and stylish mix of tower defense and shooting gameplay.

Phasmophobia is a co-op horror game with inventive haunted house challenges and Forewarned takes the concept to Egyptian ruins.

MaskMaker is an adventure that will have you crafting and using magical masks as portals to other worlds.

The Room VR is a wonderful continuation of the famous puzzle adventure series, perfectly adapted to VR.

A Rogue Escape is another puzzle adventure with very unique themes and mechanics to check out.

VR Skater wants to make a Tony Hawk out of you, except you'll be using your hands instead of feet to perform tricks.

HoVRboard and Jet Island tried this concept first, with sci fi trappings, with the latter as part of an action game.

The Thrill of the Fight is a tried & true exhausting boxing simulator, if less fancy than the more gamey Creed.

Journey of the Gods is a Zelda-lite linear action adventure that's simple but polished and works really well.

Stones of Harlath is an indie RPG with many things going for it, from its retro looks to the satisfying combat.

Vertigo Remastered is a robust Half-Lifesque immersing and bizarre adventure with a spectacular sequel on the way.

Pistol Whip is a violently cool rhythm shooter, I personally play it like it’s a funky, musical, Virtua Cop-like.

Everslaught is a fast action roguelite with melee and ranged combat, cool skills, perks and tools like a grappling hook.

Drop Dead is a fun riff on The House of the Dead, not nearly as tight as Sega's but maybe the best for VR.

Racket: Nx is a unique blend of skill, puzzle and high score fueled addictiveness that's worth checking out.

SUPERHOT VR is a puzzle action shooter with cool slow motion mechanics. Be like Neo.

Compound is a modern take on the boomer shooter genre with procedurally generated elements.

RC Rush is a polished racing game injecting VR zaniness to otherwise realistic remote controlled car races.

DeMagnete VR is a Portal style adventure that will challenge your brain with its magnetic force based puzzles.

Gorilla Tag is exactly what it says. It's free so you have nothing to lose, except your sense of time.

Synth Riders and OhShape are two popular rhythm games to move your hips and dance to like there's no tomorrow.

Eleven: Table Tennis is a table tennis game (duh) said to be the most sureally realistic yet, with a focus on PVP.

Moss is a third person action adventure where you lead a sword wielding mouse as if in a diorama of a fairy tale.

Lucky's Tale and Ven Adventure are, similarly to Moss, traditional third person platform action games with a VR twist.

Down the Rabbit Hole is another classic fairy tale adapted to VR, with its own twists, turns and style.

Asgard's Wrath is a lengthy made-for-VR action RPG with a Viking theme that many gamers vouch for.

Unplugged, BoomBox and Ragnarock are the new kids on the rhythm game block that everyone seems to love.

Ultrawings is all about flight, not quite a serious simulator, maybe a bit like the classic Pilot Wings in ways.

Windlands 2 is an action adventure with grapple-hook-swinging and archery at its core, it’s also co-op capable.

Vox Machinae is a PVP focused giant mech combat game with awesome interactive cockpits.

Stride brings the premise of Mirror's Edge's parkour in VR with inventive controls and game modes.

Dash Dash World is a cartoony kart racer with no shortage of tracks and modes for solo or online play.

Demeo is a recent and already popular tabletop/pen & paper/Dungeons & Dragons type game you can play with your friends.

Onward*, Contractors, Pavlov and other popular VR FPS put their own twist to the theme and style of play with an emphasis on PVP.

Into the Radius is a post-apocalyptic survival action game that will test your skill, wits and patience before rewarding you.

Population: One is the most popular VR Battle Royale FPS, it's arcadey with crosshair, simplified reloading, etc.

Waltz of the Wizard was initially a cool magical toybox but just received a huge free expansion with combat and other scenarios.

Blade & Sorcery has the best physics based melee combat but doesn’t yet have a campaign, though the recent Dungeons update helps.

Alternative takes on fantasy slashing are offered by Gorn, Swordsman, Until You Fall, Swords of Gargantua and Hellsplit: Arena.

Hard Bullet meanwhile takes the arena combat concept to modern weaponry and plays much like a physics driven F.E.A.R. game.

Lone Echo and its sequel form a must play astronaut adventure, the free PVP Echo VR/Arena and its $10 Combat DLC rock too.

Red Matter is another sci fi adventure with a different spin than the above and great object and puzzle interactions.

Gadgeteer is a physics-based VR game where you build chain reaction machines to solve fun, intricate puzzles.

ARK-ADE is a visceral FPS with a Tronesque neon look and plenty of content to sink your teeth into.

Karnage Chronicles is a very in depth dungeon crawler with co-op capabilities and precious loot for all involved.

V-Racer Hoverbike is a cool futuristic racer where you can lean to realistically control your jet moto thing.

Guardians VR mixes first person shooting with some tower defense and RTS elements to impressive effect.

Jetborne Racing is a thrilling multiplayer focused flight racing game by the developer of the great VTOL VR.

Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades or H3VR is basically a gun nut's heaven with all the models you could need and more.

Pixel Ripped is a duo of games with nostalgic trips down retro gaming memory lane in special VR fashion.

Lies Beneath is a meaty and well crafted stylized horror action adventure that immerses, entertains and frightens.

Boneworks is a fully physics driven indie take on Half-Life style adventure shenanigans that many will vouch for.

Paradiddle is a drumming application, it's not 100% realistic but it also takes advantage of VR for things you can't normally do.

VRkshop is a workshop simulator where you can craft the furniture (and more) of your dreams in a very realistic fashion.

Tea for God, like Unseen Diplomacy, is brilliant if you have a few square metres of space to explore its non euclidean environments.

A Township Tale offers social online f2p RPGing/surviving/crafting that's sure to get more fans as it's developed further.

Space Pirate Trainer is a mainstay static wave shooter you might want but personally I've grown past such things, as well as mini game collections like Job or Vacation Simulator which is the reason you don't see many of those in the list (though I had to include some popular rhythm games), I prefer more in depth titles. If you're looking for such games you may want to give them and others like Tower of Doom, Raw Data, Loco Dojo, Rags to Dishes, Rainbow Reactor, Cook-Out and Traffic Jams among others a good look.

There are many more, in early access or similar. Legendary Tales is a dark fantasy cooperative roguelite that's currently in a very promising early access state, Soul Scathe is a solo roguelite of the sort with clear Souls-like vibes, Crunch Element offers a procedurally generated co-op romp through destructible enemy compounds, Escape from Mandrillia is a unique asymetric competitive game that seems directly inspired by Alien: Isolation, Bean Stalker is another roguelite with a substantial resource gathering and crafting component to compliment the inventive themes its name suggests, etc. Social playgrounds like Rec Room, VRChat, Bigscreen & NeosVR are also worth a look. VR even has anime visual novels like Altdeus: Beyond Chronos, its expansion Episode Yamato or Spice & Wolf and various titles of the Car Mechanic, Cooking and Thief Simulator mould that has become popular in recent times.

Then there are ports of flat games or games that optionally support VR like Skyrim VR, Pulsar: Lost Colony, Thumper, No Man’s Sky, DCS, Elite Dangerous, DiRT Rally, PayDay 2, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad, Star Wars: Squadrons, Project Wingman, Rez Infinite, Tetris Effect, War Thunder, American/Euro Truck Simulator 2 (in the beta branches), The Forest and more. Some like Fallout 4 weren’t as well done so caution is necessary, though in this case mods help. Others have been converted by fans. MotherVR is a great VR mod for Alien: Isolation, with gamepad/mkb play like PSVR's Resident Evil 7 (or Subnautica), there's a superb Outer Wilds VR mod and Risk of Rain 2 VR is also great alongside Valheim VR, Quake VR, all the classic Doom engine games and Doom 3, all as good as any native VR games. Naturally, there are also great VR content mods, like ApertureVR for Alyx and Roblox's Cave Explorer 2.

Last edited:
I've played VR for about 5 years now, and there's nothing that beats Superhot VR for me. Granted, I haven't played Alyx yet, but Superhot just seems like a perfect fit for the format.

If you're into modding (lol) you should try Skyrim and Fallout VR. Fallout is a worse VR port and extremely demanding hardware wise but firearms translate better to VR than swords. And some stuff like inverse kinematics mod recently got added to Fallout so it's really playable now. In Skyrim you're basically stuck with bow and arrow or magic but oh what an amazing experience that is in VR. There's nothing like it.

• Fire
Reactions: Zug

TLZ

Banned
Yes and no :)
Friends Tv GIF

McCheese

Google Earth VR, it's free, and mind blowing. Graphically it's dated but still, imagine showing your ancestors a 3D replication of the entire world in VR.

Romulus

I'll second Alyx, saints and sinners, and Asgard's Wrath.

It might take you about 6 months or longer to through all the "holy shit" games because some of the best are VR additions like Elite Dangerous. Even playing really old games like Doom 3 in VR is fucking crazy good. It's really hard to make a list because it's basically the games you like, but in VR.

Last edited:

Danknugz

onward was fun a year or so ago but they gimped it for parity on quest. if you can get used to the motion sickness it's pretty good. the multiplayer matches from what i remember were super intense due to pseudo permadeath.

pavlov is good too but lacks the intensity of onward cause it's just run and gun, respawn and repeat, onward feels more like you're fighting for your life and one mistake could cost you it.

Best graphics - Native Oculus 2 or SteamVR Supersampling?

I'm going to buy The RoomVR and wondered if it made any difference running it locally or on the PC - Airlink plays well with a Ryzen 5/Nvidia 3070 ?

Romulus

I think native graphics, the best is probably Red Matter or Doom 3. Alyx blew me away on PCVR.

Honorable mention for Quest 2 standalone. Great freaking game btw as an old-school Mario Kart fan. The devs have been putting in work and the scale of the tracks is just incredible in the headset

I would honestly say I had as much for playing this as split-screen Mario Kart back in the day, if not more.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Are there any “games” where you can explore places you would probably never be able to go? I’m thinking deep sea trenches, inside volcanos, underground caves, etc.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I think native graphics, the best is probably Red Matter or Doom 3. Alyx blew me away on PCVR.

Honorable mention for Quest 2 standalone. Great freaking game btw as an old-school Mario Kart fan. The devs have been putting in work and the scale of the tracks is just incredible in the headset

I would honestly say I had as much for playing this as split-screen Mario Kart back in the day, if not more.

Thanks for the suggestion!

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
If you like COD style shooters you can do worse than Contractors. It’s fast paced as hell, moving around at full speed makes me sick pretty quick I’m still trying to get a handle on it, but just the target shooting games in the home area alone are worth buying it for. The gun pointing with virtual stock enabled is the smoothest of the big VR gun games that I’ve played IMO.

A more niche pick is Tea for God. The game is free on app lab or side quest. It generates a maze within the confines of your play area that twists in on itself meaning you never have to use stick movement, the game is 100% real walking, it just turns the corner before you hit your real walls. The gameplay is just alright, but the concept is really cool and it works, you can walk for hours in VR in your own little space.

isoRhythm

Banned

HL:A is the best overall.
Blade & Sorcery for sword fights.
Skyrim VR + mods + natural locomotion (check it out on Steam) is an amazing adventure game.

Are there any “games” where you can explore places you would probably never be able to go? I’m thinking deep sea trenches, inside volcanos, underground caves, etc.
Check out Nature Treks VR on steam, might also have a Quest port. Your other option is Skyrim VR with enemies turned off.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Walkabout Mini-Golf should just come installed on the Quest 2. If you've ever played any golf game with creative stages like Mario Golf, Hotshots, etc, then just buy it. Easy game to acclimate to VR if you're new to it, meaning it's probably the best thing to use to show off to friends / family. And on top of that, it's genuinely one of the best golf games I've ever played. And it's cheap as hell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom