• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Official Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon Trailer

In Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's postgame, you'll travel through Ultra Space with Anabel to take her back to the Battle Frontier, only to end up at the Battle Resort instead.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So are the Recon Squad not humans then? Since they come from another world?

I really like the running through portals concept thing, I wonder if there's a specific thing you can go through or if it allows you to free roam a bit. It'd be awesome to be able to travel around Alola that way very quickly or to jump to areas that aren't regularly accessible.

They are humans that simply live in another dimension, which is something that the game had been building up since the Hoenn remake when they split the timeline into two half and Sun and Moon expanding on that.

I still find it hilarious how HeartGold and SoulSilver got a Battle Frontier while Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire didn't (even if it was recycled from Platinum).

Because the gen 6 games were rushed out of the door, so Game Freak cut corners.

xjlmv0erxx8o6rpyzjpw.png
There are always complaints about removed features in Pokemon games, but this and the response the resulting backlash has to be among the worst things GF has done.

Because the gen 6 games were rushed out of the door, so Game Freak cut corners.

I know X/Y and Sun/Moon both had a 3 year dev cycle. Can't remember if Black/White had a similar timeframe.

I'm also wondering how long HeartGold/SoulSilver took to make compared to Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire's 2 year dev cycle.

Galava

They are humans that simply live in another dimension, which is something that the game had been building up since the Hoenn remake when they split the timeline into two half and Sun and Moon expanding on that.

They seem to live in a world that "necrozma stole the light" from, and there is a futuristic citadel. I'd say they are humans form the far future.

Maxinas

Reminder:
"Q:Why wasn't the Battle Frontier in the remakes?

A:This question is connected with my previous answer. We didn't put the BF in ORAS for this very reason. Interviewer's note: In short he means that they didn't include the BF because only a very small part of the players would have fully appreciated and made use of this feature; nowadays players get bored and frustrated more easily and they aren't interested in things that are so demanding/challenging."

Toxi

Banned
In Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's postgame, you'll travel through Ultra Space with Anabel to take her back to the Battle Frontier, only to end up at the Battle Resort instead.
And then Joe tells us how this is actually a good thing, people don't really want a Battle Frontier.

MicH

Reminder:

A:This question is connected with my previous answer. We didn't put the BF in ORAS for this very reason. Interviewer's note: In short he means that they didn't include the BF because only a very small part of the players would have fully appreciated and made use of this feature; nowadays players get bored and frustrated more easily and they aren't interested in things that are so demanding/challenging."
That's such a poor excuse. By that logic there should be no competitive scene.

Why even do anything only less than 90% of your audience is interested in.

JoeM86

I mean you're right.

Don't know if you saw in the Community thread but I worked out that in VGC 2016/17, less than 0.2% of Pokémon Sun & Moon owners actually participated in a VGC event.

I agree that the Frontier or a Frontier-esque facility should be in the games as it's a cool thing for people, but I do get why it's not.

lotufo

Neo Member
Since it's an Ultra Beast, expect prime number base stats.
I remembered that right after I commented. Fortunately, 101 is a prime number.

I mean you're right.

Don't know if you saw in the Community thread but I worked out that in VGC 2016/17, less than 0.2% of Pokémon Sun & Moon owners actually participated in a VGC event.

I agree that the Frontier or a Frontier-esque facility should be in the games as it's a cool thing for people, but I do get why it's not.
With QR Codes it's way more accessible now. Maybe that way we can have a new BF.

MicH

I mean you're right.

I mean, that is an incredibly tiny percentage. But I think that stuff like the Battle Frontier can be a motivator for getting more people into competitive, which is surely in The Pokemon Company's best interest.

But I get why they're hesitant if the percentage of players willing to spend time on it is that tiny. Ah well.

Gin-Shiio

Ultra Megalopolis looks cool, but might still just be a narrow corridor we get to see once throughout the story. The added scenarios for Ultra Beast encounters are neat, but don't make for substantial post game either. I'm still not sold.

Toxi

Banned
Ultra Megalopolis looks cool, but might still just be a narrow corridor we get to see once throughout the story. The added scenarios for Ultra Beast encounters are neat, but don't make for substantial post game either. I'm still not sold.
I'm thinking of how the Distortion World was marketed.

This game is looking pretty good. I think I would buy it if I lacked other things to play, but there is enough coming out I don't think I can justify retreading large portions of OG Sun and Moon.

Toxi

Banned
This game is looking pretty good. I think I would buy it if I lacked other things to play, but there is enough coming out I don't think I can justify retreading large portions of OG Sun and Moon.
To be fair, the same applied to previous third versions besides Black and White 2.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I mean, that is an incredibly tiny percentage. But I think that stuff like the Battle Frontier can be a motivator for getting more people into competitive, which is surely in The Pokemon Company's best interest.

But I get why they're hesitant if the percentage of players willing to spend time on it is that tiny. Ah well.
Battle Frontier is about gimmicks.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Honestly all I really want is the Battle Factory, getting to use pre-trained Pokemon I otherwise never would is fun.

mebizzle

And to top it all off the biggest game in the world right now is an INCREDIBLY demanding shooter. I know that the audiences are different, but I really think GF downplays how much of their audience are actually older because we've been playing since we were kids. If you look at the competitive subset; there are FAR more Masters than Juniors or Seniors at any event, they really should do the research because I would be willing to bet that this correlates with the wider audience of the games.

Toxi

Banned
nice edit, so you agree to the notion that Battle Frontier pushes people into VGC?
I think the Battle Facilities in general do that, but the Battle Frontier actually having more meat than just standard gauntlets of single and double battles makes it easier for people to get into and enjoy. It's why people keep asking for the idea to return.

SeppOCE

They sold me on single player already, but we have to do better than Festival Plaza.

How is going to a region you've already been to before "crazier" than letting you go to Ultra Space?

Because nostalgia in these games is too strong.

Honest answer. Sun and Moon didn't do it for me and the concept of Ultra Beasts doesn't do it for me. I don't care for venturing into their turf to catch them all and assuming it's post game content I haven't liked what Pokemon has done with post game content since B/W 1 and 2. Also I've been craving a surprise like revisiting characters or old areas but multiple years later in Pokemon ever since Gen 2.

It'd be cool if Ultra space was some sort of parallel to the main adventure with a story and a deeper world to explore. That might actually raise my excitement.

I just think I've been playing these games too long and I need a break until I see the next generation of Pokemon come to fruition on better hardware.

This is way beyond Platinum level. We were at Platinum level before
Nah, afraid I don’t agree. A new endgame dungeon for dealing with the cover legendary, new postgame content for catching legendaries and new antagonistic characters that you encounter throughout a mostly-similar main quest maps pretty directly onto Platinum’s improvements over Diamond and Pearl. A few new mini games doesn’t change that.

Not even touching the Battle Frontier, either.

Reminder:

My favourite dumb answer is their excuse for not having trainer customisation in ORAS.

Berordn

As much as I am lukewarm about the ultra games, this is an amazing piece of artwork.

The most depressing part is seeing the in-game representation of this and it's not even close.

I guess it's kinda cool that Necrozoma seems to be outright evil, for a change.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wonder if they'll be wild Pokemon living in the Ultra Spaces?

I mean, I know it's alternate dimensions, but maybe some random Pokemon got sucked in and now live there? It'd be cool if there's a lot of high-level, full-evolved Pokemon hanging around.

It seems there's humans in them, because I'm pretty sure that one area from one of the old trailers that looked like a Japanese-style forest was Karatana's Ultra Space, and you can make out what look to be rice paddy farmers.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ultra_Sun_Ultra_Moon_Ultra_Megalopolis_artwork.png

When Pokemon become Tron

Someone edit Decidueye out of the picture and it would barely look like it's from a Pokémon game.

The Player looks pretty buff in that art lol.

I know, it also look pretty tall for someone that's supposedly is 10 years old.

My favourite dumb answer is their excuse for not having trainer customisation in ORAS.

Yeah that was stupid as their reasoning was "Oh it's a Kalos thing and that the original Hoenn game didn't have it."

You know what else wasn't in the original Hoenn game didn't have Game Freak? Fucking Mega and Primal forms.

Though my favorite dumb answer from Game Freak was why Tembo the Badass Elephant wasn't on the Wii U, now that topped the cake.

soooooo you think smacking a sandbag makes you want to be involved with the competitive scene

The formula for getting someone into a competitive scene is to simply a take someone who loves a game and convince them they could do well competitively. Thats it.

Smash built its competitive scene, before there was online play, on the notion of "hey im better than all my friends", i could do well! The reason they had this thought was because they had hours upon hours playing the game with their friends, and having all these modes and options only incentivizes people to continue to spend time actually playing the game. Heck, even in a Mega smash or playing on a banned stage there still can (and often does) exist a feeling of competitiveness.

A battle frontier done right provides a great incentive to a variety of team building, and continue using the pokemon they got through the main game. If I had my wish it would be the absolute core upon which the notion of taking a "casual" and making the a "competitive player" would be founded.

Would anyone here argue that the arcade mode in overwatch made the game any worse or less competitively minded?

Puruzi

Banned
this game looks like it has the most content of any of the third versions and people are still saying they aren't hyped

I mean if you aren't you aren't but what were you expecting? this isn't an entirely new game

this game looks like it has the most content of any of the third versions and people are still saying they aren't hyped

I mean if you aren't you aren't but what were you expecting? this isn't an entirely new game

I'd be more excited if it was a single third version like Platinum. The reveal of two versions made me think it would be more drastically different like Black 2 and White 2. I know the games are still a month off, but from the B2/W2 map alone I could tell the original region was being heavily reworked.

LotusHD

Banned
Best trailer yet, I think I'm finally convinced to buy this. Haven't bought a 3rd version since Emerald.
Ya I know I apparently missed out on B/W2 and Platinum, oh well.

And wow, UB Adhesive actually looks normal compared to the other UBs. Err, or more accurately, I just like its design the most.

Top Bottom