• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Official TLOU2 Video - "Inside The Gameplay | PS4" (PLEASE DON'T POST SPOILERS)

Watch as the team at Naughty Dog goes in-depth about the new and evolved gameplay experience of The Last of Us Part II.

Crispy 4k vid, even it still has YT compression. Looks GREAT imo

edit

------------------

Quotes from video in OP

"In this game we've gone so far in making the level design open that there are actually entire story moments, entire combat encounters, full scripted sequences that you may completely miss," The Last of Us part 2 Co-Director Anthony Newman said in the latest look at the sequel. "And there are things that we feel like, even though a portion of our player base may never see these things, the fact that when you do encounter them, you feel like you discovered them, it lends them this charm and this magic I think is unique to games that this happened to me, because of what I did and the place I explored to."

"We put a much stronger emphasis on the importance of the choices you make in the longterm for your character," Newman said. "Through the weapon upgrade system, through the player upgrade system, there aren't enough resources in a single playthrough to fully upgrade your character. The choices that you make, you're going to have to live with. And we wanted to make sure that all the choices that you made had a really noticeable and tangible impact on the way that you play."

Whether this means any sort of New Game+ mode will be included from the jump or introduced later is not stated, but it sounds like players will have to play through The Last of Us Part 2's journey multiple times to experience the full skill trees.

next video on May 27th

From here on out, we’ll be releasing new videos every week for the next three weeks. Here’s what to expect and when:
  • May 13th: Inside the Story
  • May 20th: Inside the Gameplay
  • May 27th: Inside the Details
  • June 3rd: Inside the World
We look forward to sharing more in the weeks to come! Enjoy!

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Everytime I watch those scenes I keep asking myself...are they playing on baby mode?

Anyway, gameplay aspect doesn't seems to be that much different from the first one. They added that stealth sneak mechanic(which is not new in their videos) which I feel like its gonna make the game even more "snail pacing" to play.

Crafting seems better I think and I like the battle sequences...bar a few here and there. The sequence to deal with a zombie quickly seems neat.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I like what I see from the gameplay and animations, but everything else sorry...

wzVp8Hm.gif

Dodkrake

Banned
Everytime I watch those scenes I keep asking myself...are they playing on baby mode?

Anyway, gameplay aspect doesn't seems to be that much different from the first one. They added that stealth sneak mechanic(which is not new in their videos) which I feel like its gonna make the game even more "snail pacing" to play.

Crafting seems better I think and I like the battle sequences...bar a few here and there. The sequence to deal with a zombie quickly seems neat.

Gameplay demos are usually played in whatever is the easy setting

GymWolf

If i have to nitpick on animations, when he hits that infected with a headshot (before the new type of enemy appear) the guy kinda fall down with a strangely accelerated animation, like if someone activeted 2x speed on his dead animation... Min 2:10.

Pizdetz

Banned
Not sure how much of the context sensitive stuff will be triggered by the average player, but it will be interesting.
The graphics and animations are good. Everything is rather drab and samey looking, however.
After playing Days Gone my excitement for this is somewhat diminished. I'd much rather have Days Gone 2 than some lesbian/feminism fest about feelings and virtue signalling that basically seems to be undermining an otherwise very competent game.

GHG

Gold Member
Say what you want the gameplay mechanics look fluid.

A lot better than the clunky nature of the first game, might pick this up at some point when it's on sale.

A video about the gameplay, where they mostly talk about the story and how the gameplay's there to support the story. Okay. Otherwise, it looks virtually the same as the first game with minor improvements. This doesn't feel like an evolution or upgrade in terms of gameplay.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
For fucks sake. Why don't you people get this. Why do you think the mods have said you can't post spoilers in any thread but the official thread. I can't know that's a joke spoiler unless I click it ... do you get it? That means, eventually some tit will come along and post a spoiler and someone will click on it thinking it's just another joke spoiler OR people won't click on it, thinking it's a legitimate spoiler, and get pissed off because you've been asked not to post spoilers anywhere but in the official thread.

Either way, it's going to piss some people off.

Saber

Gold Member
Gameplay demos are usually played in whatever is the easy setting

Totally understandable, judging this is for appresentation purposes.

Yet it feels weird to see her simply dashing through enemy fire and taking everything.

Mato

Just what is going on with the snow in this game? That foot print at 3:00 appears instantaneously and half a second too late. I'm surprised they are allowing footage like this to come out. It's not in line with the otherwise very high production values.

GymWolf

Totally understandable, judging this is for appresentation purposes.

Yet it feels weird to see her simply dashing through enemy fire and taking everything.
They fear to scare the masses that just want to button smash their way throught the game.

Except that in 90% of the cases the games are still piss easy even on hard when they come out :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Just what is going on with the snow in this game? That foot print at 3:00 appears instantaneously and half a second too late. I'm surprised they are allowing footage like this to come out. It's not in line with the otherwise very high production values.
This footage is all over the place, they have alpha footage and that fake as fuck gameplay reveal mixed together, the game is gonna be in the middle of that most probably.

Last edited:

Business

I think they said this is old footage. I just don't know why they keep posting that bit over and over again.

JLMC469

Banned
Remember guys, this game is going to redefine the word “AAA”. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lock great though. Can’t judge the gameplay yet, having that said, I don’t see anything that is standing out.

makaveli60

Is this a fucking joke? Give me back my 10 minutes! I found no new info and saw nothing new. We are 1 month from release and they show us the scripted to hell bullshit E3 gameplay and the B-roll footage from the first previews? Also including that shitty snow deformation that would be an embarassment even lastgen? WTF is going on there? I would have never imagined that one of my favorite developer (was) will make me write such things. And before any dense fanboy attacks me... No, I'm not an Xbot either, just look at what I wrote about Ghost of Tsushima for example, so no need for those embarassing comments.

GymWolf

Is this a fucking joke? Give me back my 10 minutes! I found no new info and saw nothing new. We are 1 month from release and they show us the scripted to hell bullshit E3 gameplay and the B-roll footage from the first previews? Also including that shitty snow deformation that would be an embarassment even lastgen? WTF is going on there? I would have never imagined that one of my favorite developer (was) will make me write such things. And before any dense fanboy attacks me... No, I'm not an Xbot either, just look at what I wrote about Ghost of Tsushima for example, so no need for those embarassing comments.
They will probably gonna release more gameplay before the launch (i hope)

TreyCinco

Neo Member
If only Amy would’ve gotten rid of druckman instead. The story would’ve been on the same level as the graphics and gameplay.

Saber

Gold Member
They will probably gonna release more gameplay before the launch (i hope)

I''m guessing not. If the gameplay differs from what was leaked, they might gain the upper hand surprising people with something different.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Remember guys, this game is going to redefine the word “AAA”. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lock great though. Can’t judge the gameplay yet, having that said, I don’t see anything that is standing out.
From what Ive seen it will.

Or at the very least, there should be different levels to this AAA shit. The eventual GTA 6 and, Idk...Infamous Second Son are both AAA games. They are not the same, at all. GTA 6 should be in a different category. Its a cut above.

Same goes for this. This is AAA+. Like very few other games.

harsh but its true.

scalman

for me its what i wanted , no new gameplay but just thoughts from devs about game and thats what i got. i want they not show anything new until game releases at all. its fine its just month away so im fine. but game looks surelly as PS5 game , it will put to shame many PS5 early games im sure of it and XSX ones too. im ready for this long and crazy journey.
as allways on first playtrough im doing easiest or normal difficulty in that way it will give me all the time i need to explore world as in most cases harder difficulty just makes NPC's unrealistic, as allways i play everything for story for adventure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom