• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ohio law lets you drive through a red light "if you think it's malfunctioning"

Status
Not open for further replies.
*waits 2 seconds...YEP IT'S BROKEN! VRRRRROOOOOOOM!*

CNN said:
A new state law that takes effect in March will let drivers in Ohio legally drive through a red light.

But on one condition: Drivers, after first coming to a full stop at the light, must believe that the red light is malfunctioning before driving through it.

If that sounds like an invitation to roll up to every red light and keep on trucking, that's not the intention. But many worry that's exactly what will happen.

"I don't know if it's the wisest decision. People are already in a hurry going nowhere anyway," driving instructor Charlie Allen told CNN affiliate WBNS.

twinpeaks5.gif

5taquitos

Don't red lights either flash or turn off when they malfunction?

Even if they didn't, this seems unbelievably stupid.

Seems like an unnecessary law. If you do run in to this scenario AND get caught then its easily defensible. "Officer just turn around and see that the light never turns green"

adj_noun

But on one condition: Drivers, after first coming to a full stop at the light, must believe that the red light is malfunctioning before driving through it.

Prove I didn't believe it, copper.

Volimar

We do get quite a few black outs etc. I'm always pleasantly surprised to find the number of drivers who know how to treat a malfunctioning light. Aside from a few dumbasses trying to use this to get out of tickets, I doubt we'll see many problems.

Smellycat

This happens all the time to turn left signals! I usually have to wait 2 or 3 cycles at some traffic lights before it finally turns green.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I remember being out late one night and sitting at a red light for what seemed like five minutes. I eventually just drove through since I was the only car on the road at the time.

hoserx

I live in Ohio and there is a red light I deal with every single morning at about 4:40 am. No one is at the intersection but me...........and I always have to wait 5-6 minutes. I have to be on the air at 5am so it can get hairy sometimes.......... I will run this light from now on. (starting in March haha).

ShyMel

And how does one prove that they believe it's broken? Post an angry rant on Facebook over it?

Yeah, this sounds exactly like the sort of bill that gets passed after some lawmaker (or their kids) got punished with a ticket or jailtime for blowing through a red light.

They passed a similar law in PA. On some roads lights only change when a sensor is triggered, and there are times the sensor doesn't work as intended and the light never changes from red. It is apparently a big problem for motorcyclists.

Malfunctioning red lights are bullshit. I've been there a number of times and drove on through after awhile. Like the sensor doesn't feel the weight of the car so it never turns green.

Regiruler

This is some stupid shit

Unless you have some metric for malfunctioning (30 seconds red with no incoming traffic), this will be easily exploited

There's one light on my to my work commute that requires a car to basically be touching the crosswalk to trigger. Twice I've been behind another car and have had to get out of my space and cut in front of them to get it to trigger.

ced

They passed a similar law in PA. On some roads lights only change when a sensor is triggered, and there are times the sensor doesn't work as intended and the light never changes from red. It is apparently a big problem for motorcyclists.

Happens all the time to me, it's exactly what this law is for. However I don't think it's needed, it only happens when there are no other cars, so it's safe to go through after waiting for minutes and there isn't a vehicle in sight.

Yeah, Pennsylvania has had this since September. I used to back up a bit / drive forward again to trigger the sensor but now I just drive on through.

Zoe

Isn't this basic driving rules? If the light is off, stuck, or flashing, treat it like a stop sign?

If it's stuck, the only thing you're supposed to do is take a right turn.

There's one light on my to my work commute that requires a car to basically be touching the crosswalk to trigger. Twice I've been behind another car and have had to get out of my space and cut in front of them to get it to trigger.

I've gotten out and hit the crosswalk button before.

Pretty sure there are already laws like this for motorcycles due to some signals not being triggered by bikes. Or laws that say to treat a broken signal like a stop sign. There are a few laws that are determined by judgment of the driver. Speed limits dont apply in bad weather, instead its "what is safe for the conditions" that doesnt mean you have the free reign to do 70 in a blizzard. I dont see what the big deal is.

Prologue

I already do this. I spent 5 minutes the other day just waiting at the light to turn left, with barely any cars on the road.

Pretty sure there are already laws like this for motorcycles due to some signals not being triggered by bikes. Or laws that say to treat a broken signal like a stop sign....I dont see what the big deal is.

The law has no guideline to a quantifiable measure for a driver to determine if a light is malfunctioning or not. It's carte blanche.

jtb

Banned
Is this not already common practice? Treating a malfunctioning stoplight as a 4 way stop sign? I need to go back to Driver's ed apparently.

Zoe

Is this not already common practice? Treating a malfunctioning stoplight as a 4 way stop sign? I need to go back to Driver's ed apparently.

If it's flashing, yes. If it's stuck on solid, no. The only thing you're allowed to do on a solid is turn (after stopping).

WedgeX

Banned
Suburbanites driving through Detroit have been assuming every red light has been malfunctioning since the 1980s. Sad that Ohio has followed suit.

painey

I'm torn.. on the one hand, it makes driving a lot less safe. On the other hand, it makes leaving Ohio a lot quicker..

Somnid

Aren't there already rules for this? That a malfunctioning light is treated like stop sign? It doesn't matter if it's malfunctioning, what if it is and two drivers go at the same time and T-bone eachother? Why would anyone bother proposing this?

SpecX

Makes sense in theory, but opens the door for many people to exploit it. The rain jacked up one of the sensors at the light near work. Everyone was getting their turn for green except the side I was on. Everyone decided to run the light in this event together since we had waited 3 cycles with no change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom