• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New ONM Reviews - WiiU launch issue

MrT-Tar

My copy of the latest issue of Official Nintendo Magazine arrived in the post today and it contains the reviews for the WiiU launch games, amongst others. I don't usually do this, but given the high profile nature of this month, I thought it would be a good idea. Also, another WiiU thread can't hurt, can it? Gold Awards are bolded and just reply if you want me to clarify on the scores and their justification:

NSMBU (WiiU) - 86

Paper Mario: SS (3DS) - 83

TTT2: WiiU Edition (WiiU) - 88

FIFA 13 (WiiU) - 80

Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (3DS) - 60

ZombiU (WiiU) - 92

Virtue's Last Reward (3DS) - 88

Hana Samurai (3DS eShop) - 80

Epic Mickey: The Power of 2 (Wii) - 80

Liberation Maiden (3DS eShop) - 75

Nintendoland (WiiU) - 90

WWE 13 (Wii) - 78

New Style Boutique (3DS) - 68

Skylanders: Giants (Wii) - 63

Jewel Master: Cradle of Egypt 2 (DS) - 55

Mole Mania (3DS VC) - 70

Mad Dog McCree (3DS eShop) - 15

18th Gate (DSiWare) - 40

Samurai G (3DS eShop) - 38

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3D (3DS) - 51

EDIT: sorry about the confusion with the 2 Epic Mickey titles

Bumhead

Banned
Those TTT2 and FIFA 13 scores are encouraging. Anything of particular note from either review? They're both higher than id expect.

If you look in the Power of Illusion demo impressions thread, it's not really surprising. Pretty upsetting really, maybe a port of the Wii version would have been best.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Oh, I came in here expecting some kind of "issue" with launch WiiU systems. Good thing it wasn't that.

miksar

Those TTT2 and FIFA 13 scores are encouraging. Anything of particular note from either review? They're both higher than id expect.
FIFA 13 doesn't seem encouraging at all, it would be interesting to hear how it compares to the PS3 and 360 versions if they are mentioned in the review.

Ashler

ZombiU (WiiU) - 92

30311499.jpg

Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (3DS) - 60

ZombiU (WiiU) - 92

Virtue's Last Reward (3DS) - 88

Hana Samurai (3DS eShop) - 80

Epic Mickey: The Power of 2 (3DS) - 80 <-------- fix please

m0t0k1

They have a quick write up about the games on their website.

In short they say Fifa doesnt feature all the parts that are on the xbox and ps3 (there's no first-touch control system or Ultimate team mode) but it has some GamePad tricks such as the ability to pass, shoot, move players off the ball and make tactical changes on the touchscreen.

And tekken is just a great tekken game with some nice extras like mushroom mode and funny costumes.

MrT-Tar

For TTT2, they justify the score on the grounds that it is a great game in its own right, they very enjoyed the WiiU only extras (Tekken ball, Nintendo costumes, etc). They also love the sheer amount and variety of characters (59 in total). ONM sees it as 'the perfect example of what we expect from multi-format WiiU games, with everything seen in other versions and more Nintendo-only stuff on top' and 'makes some other developers' launch efforts look half-hearted'. The only negative I can find is that they wish it had what they consider a proper story mode.

As for FIFA, it's implied that the review score is justified because of the upgrade from the Wii FIFA game to that on the WiiU, claiming that it is 'infinitely better than any other version released on a Nintendo system'. For example the Impact Engine and its effects of physics, greater ball control, etc. The use of 'scarily realistic 'proper' players' is applauded, instead of the 'cartoony models of old'. They also believe that while it isn't for everyone, they like the use of the gamepad. Their main problem with the game is that it is based of the PS3/360 version of FIFA 12, meaning it contains '15 month-old gameplay', however they think this is defendable due the WiiU being so new.

Malvingt2

For TTT2, they justify the score on the grounds that it is a great game in its own right, they very enjoyed the WiiU only extras (Tekken ball, Nintendo costumes, etc). They also love the sheer amount and variety of characters (59 in total). ONM sees it as 'the perfect example of what we expect from multi-format WiiU games, with everything seen in other versions and more Nintendo-only stuff on top' and 'makes some other developers' launch efforts look half-hearted'. The only negative I can find is that they wish it had what they consider a proper story mode.

As for FIFA, it's implied that the review score is justified because of the upgrade from the Wii FIFA game to that on the WiiU, claiming that it is 'infinitely better than any other version released on a Nintendo system'. For example the Impact Engine and its effects of physics, greater ball control, etc. The use of 'scarily realistic 'proper' players' is applauded, instead of the 'cartoony models of old'. They also believe that while it isn't for everyone, they like the use of the gamepad. Their main problem with the game is that it is based of the PS3/360 version of FIFA 12, meaning it contains '15 month-old gameplay', however they think this is defendable due the WiiU being so new.

what they said about ZombiU?

Jawmuncher

I'm seriously surprised as to how well reviewed Nintendoland has been thus far.

Are they reviewing it based as it being a pack in or as an actual retail game?
It doesn't seem bad or anything just a bit off for that kind of praise. Well can't really knock it till I play it so we'll see.

nickcv

What did ONM give Red Steel :hmm:

I'm still hoping ZombiU is something special!

unfortunately i found the review on their website... and i know i'll regret posting this:

While one of the Wii's purposes is to attract non-gamers, Red Steel was clearly designed with the hardcore gamer in mind. It's slick, addictive and as close to 'cool' as a game can get.

91%

Top Bottom