• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New OoT 3D ad w/ Robin Williams (Up: Zelda Williams on waterfowl marriage/neoGAF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyFive

MYE said:
Can anyone link me to the NOA ad?

edit

found it
lol at the cgi

Yeah, Nintendo of America is awful this gen, no idea how that happened.

1298082-comic2.jpg

dvolovets said:
My great-grandmother was named Zelda...
I bet she was made fun of her name when she was in school!!

That's what you get for naming your daughter after an author!!

is your great-grandmother even older than the author herself? :eek:

AniHawk said:
13 years later and objectively the best oot commercial because of robin williams. this contest is over, give that man the ten thousand dollars.
I think he is getting way more that ten thousand dollars. :p

MisterHero

You don't need to be named after a videogame character to be poked fun at. I kid you not, my fellow classmates at the time started calling me Johnny Cage when I started wearing glasses. They were transitions so they looked like sunglasses outside. I think the experience made me wary of transition glasses. ._.

Zelda Williams
"Looking good princess! Especially from this angle!"

Okay that was terrible.

I wonder if Robin Williams pretended to be Link when he was playing Peter Pan.

Pollux

pulga said:
I love Zelda, she's a total geek <3 from her twitter:

“@zeldawilliams: First thoughts on Xmen First Class: exactly WHICH first class is this?! Angel was part of the NEW school & Havoc is older than cyclops now?”

“@zeldawilliams: They could've at least chosen fun mutants if they were gonna mess with the canon like that. How about the Cable or Scarlett Witch? #XmenFail”

“@zeldawilliams: And totally meant 'Cable' and 'the Scarlett Witch'. #ZeldaFail”

*swoon*
I would die happy if my girlfriend even KNEW who Cyclops was, let alone Havoc and Angel. I told her I was excited to see this b/c it might have Emma Frost and the Hellfire Club and she just stared at me blankly.

:(

dvolovets

SilverLunar said:
I bet she was made fun of her name when she was in school!!

That's what you get for naming your daughter after an author!!

is your great-grandmother even older than the author herself? :eek:
Nope, she was born 15 years after the author... and in Russia, no less, so I highly doubt her parents named her after the author. I'm pretty sure that Zelda is -- or used to be -- a fairly common Jewish name.

When I think of the name Zelda outside of the game series, the aunt from Sabrina the Teenage Witch comes to mind. It's a nice name, I think.

That was a very sweet commercial. Robin Williams is awesome.

This is a pretty endearing commercial. I guess NOA thought it wasn't dude bro enough to air over here.

And with regards to naming your children after cultural icons, I've long dreamed to name my first son Clint Eastwood. Unfortunately, I'm confident there isn't a woman on earth that is cool enough to grant me that dream.

Jinko

The_Technomancer said:
Everyone I know loves Zelda, even the non-gamers, and especially non-gamer girls. Its just one of those things.

I can bet you that most non gaming people thinks Link is actually called Zelda.

SYNTAX182

SlipperySlope said:
Not being aired in the US? Why?

Somebody ask Reggie!

What the? Really? This is where Robin Williams is most famous. Oh Reggie. Maybe he's keeping all the money intended for marketing and game localization for himself. =/

The Lamp

BY2K said:
How can you make fun of someone named Zelda? I can't think of any mean jokes about it...

Seriously, I know two older women whose names are also Zelda. Zelda as a name didn't originate from the video game...

So I've been toying with the notion for some time of naming our first daughter Zelda (I've known about Robin Williams doing it for a while now).

My wife is warming up to the name, and I like its meaning (in Old German it means "Dark Battle" and a Finnish counterpart of the name means "Happiness").

And you know, if it's a boy, I wouldn't mind naming them Link. It feels unique but not too weird. :)

EDIT: And now I looked it up and it seems "Link" means "left hand" - NICE! :) (Not in terms of it making it a better name, but rather it's cool because Link is left-handed).

matmanx1

One of the replies under the video is "That is the emperor&#65279; of all beards. Whenever Robin Williams walks in the room, all the beards in the area bow down and swear allegiance to it." and when I read that I lost it for a couple of seconds. So, so hilarious and true.

Commercial is great, though.

crisdecuba said:
So I've been toying with the notion for some time of naming our first daughter Zelda (I've known about Robin Williams doing it for a while now).

My wife is warming up to the name, and I like its meaning (in Old German it means "Dark Battle" and a Finnish counterpart of the name means "Happiness").

And you know, if it's a boy, I wouldn't mind naming them Link. It feels unique but not too weird. :)

Well, when Robin Williams did it, he didn't realise how big the game would become, he just thought it was a nice name from a game he and his wife played together while she was pregnant(according to that interview). I think you'd be doing it for a more slightly obsessed fanboy reason.... but I could be wrong.

Dead Man Typing said:
Well, when Robin Williams did it, he didn't realise how big the game would become, he just thought it was a nice name from a game he and his wife played together while she was pregnant(according to that interview). I think you'd be doing it for a more slightly obsessed fanboy reason.... but I could be wrong.
Couple of other reasons, actually.

My wife seems to want names that have a Z in them.
For a girl, we want a name that has something to do with being a warrior / fighter, which this seems to fit somewhat.
It also sounds like a rather elegant name on its own.

Now Link, on the other hand, is never going to happen.

Cranzor

crisdecuba said:

I didn't know Link was a real name until I read To Kill a Mockingbird. One of the characters is named Link Deas. I think the book was written in the 50s. I've never heard it outside of that.

Anyway, great commercial. Sucks we couldn't get it here in the US.

Eradicate

crisdecuba said:

EDIT: And now I looked it up and it seems "Link" means "left hand" - NICE! :) (Not in terms of it making it a better name, but rather it's cool because Link is left-handed).

Haha, Link is actually a good name, and a real name too. It's a short form of Lincoln, and Linc is used as a name as well. It reminds me of Luke too, a fairly common name, but that's besides the point.

Go for it!

crisdecuba said:
Couple of other reasons, actually.

My wife seems to want names that have a Z in them.
For a girl, we want a name that has something to do with being a warrior / fighter, which this seems to fit somewhat.
It also sounds like a rather elegant name on its own.

Now Link, on the other hand, is never going to happen.

Pazuzu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom