• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New order 1886 pre-order trailer (new footage)

Well, there you go. Which is another reason why I don't get some of the complaints that make it seem as though cinematic third person shooters are saturating the market, they really aren't. I'd actually argue that open world games are the current fad in game design, based on the insane number of prominent games opting for such. Not necessarily a bad thing mind, but I love variety in my gaming and welcome a bit of everything.

Has any outlet actually complained the TPS market is saturated when referring to this game? I must have missed those complaints. Pretty stupid thing to complain about considering how long it's been since we had a strong narrative driven TPS...

I definitely agree that open world is the current fad with far too many games going for that design choice. That's what the market is truly saturated by...

eimyys.gif

I said goddamn.

Javin98

Banned
I haven't played the game, just engaged in a lot of conversations and seen more than your fair share. I think reviewers will be hard on it based on how reviews are today. I think they'll dock points for not "innovating enough" or having 'standard third person gameplay" or some such. Of course I don't agree with this line of thinking if it ends up how it reviews.

Based on what I know, the narrative is super strong. I'm not bringing the game down at all. If you're looking for a linear, cinematic, solid third person shooter with a strong narrative, gorgeous visuals/physics and punchy, fun shooting in a badass alternate Victorian London setting, with a bit of horror elements thrown in, you'll be happy. I am and that's why I'm hyped as fuck.

This is exactly what I expect from the game. I really love the way the guns look when firing so using them should be even better! I just hope the level design is good and are not too linear overall

cripterion

No multiplayer element and no coop for a third person shooter in 2015 and these guys think it is going to be the biggest thing? The story better be damn good...

I got 140€ of Amazon credit and I was thinking about preordering a game. But I can't decide between The Order, Project Cars and Uncharted. Meh.

nib95

Banned
I got 140€ of Amazon credit and I was thinking about preordering a game. But I can't decide between The Order, Project Cars and Uncharted. Meh.

Uncharted is a year away dude. I'd settle on The Order or PCars. Or Driveclub if you don't already have it.

No multiplayer element and no coop for a third person shooter in 2015 and these guys think it is going to be the biggest thing? The story better be damn good...

I'm guessing it's because it's their first time making a game of this magnitude. Sequel will have all the other stuff. I think it's good that they didn't spread themselves too thin, rather they focus on making one aspect awesome instead of putting out a shoehorned in multiplayer mode.

cripterion

I'm guessing it's because it's their first time making a game of this magnitude. Sequel will have all the other stuff. I think it's good that they didn't spread themselves too thin, rather they focus on making one aspect awesome instead of putting out a shoehorned in multiplayer mode.

Don't get me wrong I hate shoehorned MP, and some games can stand on their own with only the single player portion (like Spec OPS) but I still felt it needed co-op.

If the gameplay is as good as these guys say in the vid, it can only be better with some friends no?

Don't get me wrong I hate shoehorned MP, and some games can stand on their own with only the single player portion (like Spec OPS) but I still felt it needed co-op.

If the gameplay is as good as these guys say in the vid, it can only be better with some friends no?

Not sure yet where the story will take the characters, but I have seen points of the game where they are not all together. This being a game heavily focused on narrative I'm assuming co-op didn't fit with the story they were trying to tell and I wouldn't want co-op to affect what they are trying to do. I would have taken a co-op like horde mode or something though, I'm assuming time constraints played a big part in that not being in the game.

Hexa

I disagree kind of. I don't think they need multiplayer for story mode at all including any of the stealth, detective, advanced QTE stuff, and minigame. It looks like the game relies heavily on the player experiencing a chain of events and more players I think would throw that off. Plus it would limit them story wise, and I think they need as much freedom as possible considering its their first game of this scale.
I would like a hoard/zombies mode type thing though. Doesn't even need a story. I feel like those weapons and that setting was made for something like this. Though I guess they may not have enough super natural creatures yet. Are Lycans the only ones revealed so far?

cripterion

I disagree kind of. I don't think they need multiplayer for story mode at all including any of the stealth, detective, advanced QTE stuff, and minigame. It looks like the game relies heavily on the player experiencing a chain of events and more players I think would throw that off. Plus it would limit them story wise, and I think they need as much freedom as possible considering its their first game of this scale.
I would like a hoard/zombies mode type thing though. Doesn't even need a story. I feel like those weapons and that setting was made for something like this. Though I guess they may not have enough super natural creatures yet. Are Lycans the only ones revealed so far?

I don't know, we will see but I think it's a concern for some that it won't have enough replayability. Even the guys from Second Son somehow added little stuff to do in First Light.

As I said, if the story is amazing that's ok, but it better be damn good for a SP shooter with a full price tag. I have no problems forking the cash if I like the story and gameplay elements (see Shadowrun Returns & Dragonfall).

Turkoop

Banned
DAY ONE
No matter what Media gonna tell us, this game will be great, it wont be a masterpiece but solid - but thats good
Thx for the infos shinobi

thelastword

Banned
Best looking game atm. With Sony that's what it is till the next exclusive and the next exclusive. Man those guns look punchy and fun to fire, it also seems there's quite a bit of variety in locales and RAD, thank you for that level of IQ, I hope more devs follow suit.

There is a guy who was on the tester in that video, can't remember his name.

BumRush

I'm thinking of it this way: it's a story driven game that is akin to a "playable" heavy rain. I definitely wouldn't have wanted multi or coop in heavy rain and I don't in this.

On another note, "it doesn't have an open world" is the dumbest reason to score a game low.

nib95

Banned
At least people are more open minded about this than they were either Knack or Ryse...

To be fair, I think both Knack and Ryse seemed slightly more simplistic in game design, and less ambitious in overall theme than The Order does. Take Ryse for example, there's really only two weapon types in the game, and as such fewer changes to overall combat dynamic and variety, whereas with third person shooters like The Order, you have a larger variety of tactically diverse weaponry, plus more emphasis on stealth, gadgets, puzzles and so on to go along with the shooting.

BokehKing

Banned
I hate reaction videos but sony loves them somehow.

I mean are we supposed to take them serious when they are being cherry picked?
I respect a cherry picked review (there was... A lot of them) then some dude like angry Joe whining for 30 minutes with his shock jock shitck and giving it an edgy but low score.

Or if IGN gives it a 73% just to be controversial and generate traffic.

I'm a casual gamer, I don't care or have visited metacritic a day in my life. I appreciate the every day fans take

BumRush

Sony should release TV spots that showcase shooting, graphics and horror elements. Maybe buy a superbowl spot. I really want to see this game sell well bc it's exactly what I want.

nib95

Banned
I just saw the Trophy list for the game. Nothing too spoilerish or out of the ordinary, but the list makes me think we won't be killing droves of Lycans. Instead it seems more likely that each Lycan kill will be harder earned or more difficult.

I just saw the Trophy list for the game. Nothing too spoilerish or out of the ordinary, but the list makes me think we won't be killing droves of Lycans. Instead it seems more likely that each Lycan kill will be harder earned or more difficult.

Or it cold be a story based QTE moment? The Lycan trailer kinda looked like that.

nib95

Banned
Or it cold be a story based QTE moment? The Lycan trailer kinda looked like that.

Still too many Lycan kills to all be QTE segments, but not enough that you'll ever kill armies of them. Though you could of course fight lots of them, as shown in snippets of the newer trailers and in the original reveal.

H4r4kiri

Still too many Lycan kills to all be QTE segments, but not enough that you'll ever kill armies of them. Though you could of course fight lots of them, as shown in snippets of the newer trailers and in the original reveal.

Shinobi confirmed that the lycian in the Trailer was an Elder-Lycian. They are much stronger and more intelligent. The normals one a fought normally with guns and melee. They are very very aggressive though

Well, there you go. Which is another reason why I don't get some of the complaints that make it seem as though cinematic third person shooters are saturating the market, they really aren't. I'd actually argue that open world games are the current fad in game design, based on the insane number of prominent games opting for such. Not necessarily a bad thing mind, but I love variety in my gaming and welcome a bit of everything.

This was my point before as well in another Order thread. To me I have argued that this game is a huge risk for RAD and Sony, and others seem to think it is too safe. Reason I think it is a risk is because a linear, cinematic, third person shooter, with no Multiplayer is the antithesis of what modern gaming media want. Had the Order gone for an Open World with less graphics and worse settings and more drivel side quests, and a horde mode and such it would have actually been safer. But to me that is as if an Exec in a suit made a game, rather than people who make games (see Ubisoft). So to me The Order is unlike anything else on current gen systems, and I am with you I welcome the variety.

Some people don't like linear cinematic TPS, and that's ok too, just stop trying to ruin the fun for those that do want that on the occassion.

PS. I do get that 2015 could be a big year for Linear Cinematic TPS with The Order, Uncharted 4, TR, and possibly Quantum Break. Still that is 4 titles, and there will just as easily be the same or more Open World games and FPS.

I have the feeling that most of the reviews are going to be average at best. That tone was set way back when the game was first revealed. I blame the journalists really - which reviews I can't take seriously anymore (IGN, GameSpot, Eurogamer etc...).

I just read Edge's February issue, the amount of negativity for The Order: 1886 is incredibly high. This is a preview mind you, not a review.

Thumbnail

Some quotes from the issue
: "... since The Order was announced, we’ve never been entirely sure about what it was trying to be. Now, having laid hands on it, we know. Sadly, it’s not great news."

"When more details emerged, the game was portrayed as a linear, story-focused thirdperson shooter like Gears Of War"
I'm not going to list everything, there are more nitpicks about the AI (which they claim to be nonexistent) and QTEs (what a shocker). Edge has completely lost it.

The GameInformer preview was actually positive and the editors seemed to enjoy it, even with the linearity and QTEs.

All in all, can't wait to get my hands on the game next month.

fantomena

Based on what I know, the narrative is super strong. I'm not bringing the game down at all. If you're looking for a linear, cinematic, solid third person shooter with a strong narrative, gorgeous visuals/physics and punchy, fun shooting in a badass alternate Victorian London setting, with a bit of horror elements thrown in, you'll be happy. I am and that's why I'm hyped as fuck.

Sounds good to me.

PS. I do get that 2015 could be a big year for Linear Cinematic TPS with The Order, Uncharted 4, TR, and possibly Quantum Break. Still that is 4 titles, and there will just as easily be the same or more Open World games and FPS.

In regards to Rise of the Tomb Raider...

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/t...ntent_for_tomb_raider_definitive_edition.html

"I think that Skyrim’s a good analogy. If you see it, you can get to it and go out there, and that to us was what the promise of this is. Now that we’ve seen what we can do [with] Definitive Edition, it starts opening up our eyes of how much further can we push ourselves. What [are] our next steps towards let’s get out to that mountain now, how do we get there, how much bigger can those spaces be, and that’s for the future."

Seems like Tomb Raider 2's design will be chasing the 'open-world audience.'

It seems kinda ironic that Amy Hennig's Uncharted 4 was implied to also be doing more open-worldly stuff, before Bruce/Neil came in and said "step the fuck back, everyone."

I just read Edge's February issue, the amount of negativity for The Order: 1886 is incredibly high. This is a preview mind you, not a review.

My main criticism of the entire EDGE preview was that 'gameplay' was talked about in like only two sentences. There was scant detail in explaining how the gunplay feels.

It seems kinda ironic that Amy Hennig's Uncharted 4 was implied to also be doing more open-worldly stuff, before Bruce/Neil came in and said "step the fuck back, everyone."

You're reading a ton into that passing sentence.

And I kinda doubt RotTR is fully open world. Certainly not massively different to the reboot anyway.

I got Knack day one, I did my part. ;)

Good man. It's really heartening to see both games get more love, even if it is nearly a year late...

To be fair, I think both Knack and Ryse seemed slightly more simplistic in game design, and less ambitious in overall theme than The Order does. Take Ryse for example, there's really only two weapon types in the game, and as such fewer changes to overall combat dynamic and variety, whereas with third person shooters like The Order, you have a larger variety of tactically diverse weaponry, plus more emphasis on stealth, gadgets, puzzles and so on to go along with the shooting.

Fair points and I generally agree, but Ryse isn't really a game that allows for much variety in terms of weapons. You've got a sword, an axe, spears, bow and arrows...that's pretty much it, so it's hard for me at least to see that a negative.

I'm really looking forward to this game... not every game has to be open world or non linear.

In fact I like linear games as long as they have a strong narrative side to them. I'm sure some sites will complain the gameplay isn't next gen enough without explaining how they would make it next gen gameplay. But I love Uncharted, TLOU etc, really excited for this.

I had better go and pre-order it before I forget. :)

I respect a cherry picked review (there was... A lot of them) then some dude like angry Joe whining for 30 minutes with his shock jock shitck and giving it an edgy but low score.

Or if IGN gives it a 73% just to be controversial and generate traffic.

I'm a casual gamer, I don't care or have visited metacritic a day in my life. I appreciate the every day fans take

What has any of that to do w/ my comment?

Grisby

I really hope there are a few open areas too. I've seen bits and pieces of the dock footage but not enough to get a handle on it. Even Gears 1 had some pretty open areas that changed the combat up every time you played. Oh, and it would be really cool to have some Uncharted like cheats since there's nothing but the SP.

Spineker

Banned
I know this analogy has been done to death, but I reckon this could becomes Sony's answer to Gears of War in a real hurry

Some quotes from the issue
I'm not going to list everything, there are more nitpicks about the AI (which they claim to be nonexistent) and QTEs (what a shocker). Edge has completely lost it.

The GameInformer preview was actually positive and the editors seemed to enjoy it, even with the linearity and QTEs.

All in all, can't wait to get my hands on the game next month.

Those Edge criticisms seem valid to me, especially the braindead AI.

Critics don't have a problem with cinematic shooters. Look at Edge's praise for the dynamic combat sandboxes, navigation and AI of Uncharted 4 in the same issue.

Still, I hope The Order will deliver but I'm not holding my breath.

Betty

Banned
I know this analogy has been done to death, but I reckon this could becomes Sony's answer to Gears of War in a real hurry

The big draw with Gears was multiplayer though, I know because I bought the first one on release and although the campaign was decent the online was glorious.

It kept us entertained all the way until Halo 3's release.

Those Edge criticisms seem valid to me, especially the braindead AI.

Critics don't have a problem with cinematic shooters. Look at Edge's praise for the dynamic combat sandboxes, navigation and AI of Uncharted 4 in the same issue.

Still, I hope The Order will deliver but I'm not holding my breath.

Exactly. How can one denounce a feature and praise them under the same standard I will never know. Being consistent is the key. If one cinematic shooter is progressing in design and the other isn't, then it stands to reason that there must be a base line to where your standards lie. You can't argue for both, especially when they are current-gen games in comparison to each other

DavidDesu

is there time travel stuff in this game, or am i fucking crazy. I could have swore I remember hearing about time travel in this game at one point, but have never seen anything about it

Since The Order are immortal in the ageing sense it would be cool if maybe the game actually starts with Galahad in present day, or World War 2 or something having flashbacks to 1886. Something that would completely catch us all off guard when we start the game for the first time. I hope there's some big surprises story wise in this. I await the epic.

Top Bottom