• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Overwatch update filters "gg ez" into different, hilarious phrases

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well this has screwed me over.

My ingame friends, who most definitely exist, are called GeeGee and Ezequías so often when I see them in game I type "gg ez good 2 see u!"

Now I can never call them by their nicknames ever again. 😢

Haunted

8utz5AY.png
beautiful

edgefusion

Can they do something about console players spamming "Thanks. Thanks. Thanks." Every time they lose. My friend does this all the time and it pisses me off.

Giving console players the ability to properly communicate with one another like PC players can would be a GREAT start. At the moment we're limited to a few emotes and have to just hope our teammates are good st understanding interpretive dance.

Dremark

Banned
Giving console players the ability to properly communicate with one another like PC players can would be a GREAT start. At the moment we're limited to a few emotes and have to just hope our teammates are good st understanding interpretive dance.

I don't see any reason why the console version shouldn't support mouse and keyboard. People should demand it but they don't.

patapuf

Censorship is never good.
Being an ass is already not good long term for each person and those words don t kill nobody.
Don t listen to whiners Blizz...

There's nothing wrong with trying to reduce toxicity. Especially if it's done in a humorous way.

And being an ass is absolutely viable long term in online games.

Dremark

Banned
It's be unfair for the vast majority of players on those systems who don't want to use them.

You could make the same argument for a lot of things. Arcade sticks, hotboxes, larger TVs, etc.

People have a choice and people using controls get aim assist anyway so that should balance it out.

Razyl

In League of Legends you can get reported and temporary banned for writing "GG easy"/"GG EZ". It is against Riots summoner code and they see it as unsportmanslike or bad sportsmanship.

Source: LoL-Forum and Riot Lyte ask fm (Reddit-Link, cause Lyte deleted his account :/)

I liked blizzards way more. It's creative in some sort of way. The less "gg easy" or other things like this, the better.

Skux

This does nothing to actually reduce the levels of abuse. People are still saying "gg ez", it just comes out a different way. Once people memorise the lines they'll know when someone is calling them trash.

What they should have done is made phrases like these appear only to the person typing them.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ridiculous. They're removing part of the fun of online gaming.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What, being a bellend? Sounds like online gaming to me.
gg ez is being a bell end? Being offended by the simplest, lowest, most innocuous form of trash talk is ridiculous. gg ez is so childish and lazy that it is hilarious. Making a filter for it is so over the top.

dity

gg ez is being a bell end? Being offended by the simplest, lowest, most innocuous form of trash talk is ridiculous. gg ez is so childish and lazy that it is hilarious. Making a filter for it is so over the top.
If it's so simple and lazy why does it even matter that you can't type it? lol

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

It's silly to get upset over it, but yeah, you say gg ez for one reason and that's to upset others which makes you a bellend, even if you feel people shouldn't get upset over it, because you know they do and that's why you do it.

Bboy AJ

It's silly to get upset over it, but yeah, you say gg ez for one reason and that's to upset others which makes you a bellend, even if you feel people shouldn't get upset over it, because you know they do and that's why you do it.
I doubt people say gg ez to upset others. In this very thread, there are lots of posters who think otherwise, too. If you played Overwatch, DVa literally has a voice clip where she says easy mode.

Don't call me a bell end. I'm not sure what makes you think you can hurl personal insults at me.

peakish

It's mild but definitely bm to throw a win in the other team's face. Anyway this isn't going to stop anything and I doubt Blizzard believes it will.

It's just a joke.

Rorschach

Reminds me of the filter in original Counter-Strike servers that used to replace certain phrases with "BLEEET!" and "OOORGLE!"

Don't call me a bell end. I'm not sure what makes you think you can hurl personal insults at me.

I doubt he meant to upset you. He's probably just trying to have fun.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt he meant to upset you. He's probably just trying to have fun.

Wasn't even talking about him specifically, but it was pretty funny how one minute he's saying not to get upset over harmless trash talk like gg ez then gets upset over a nothing insult like bellend.

JP_

Banned
I want to be a sporting and nice person all the time, but when your own team sabotages any chance of victory and are basically a bunch of fuckups, it's hard! :(
I just jump back into matchmaking when that happens. Doubt anything can be said to help anything.

aeolist

Banned
going by my time on the PTR last night this has just lead to everyone (myself included) spamming gg ez constantly, including before the match starts

it's still pretty funny

JP_

Banned
Not sure.
If someone is uncapable of not caring about a random kid writing "gg ez" on the internet........ well........
It's a competitive enviroment, it's a random dude writing stuff in a text chat.. get over it.

edit: and i'm not defending idiots that use to write "ez" in chat. Because they are idiots.
When did "competitive environment" turn into "middle school playground"? On the contrary, competitive environments usually enforce sportsmanship. Try acting like this in a sports league and you'll be benched.

Dremark

Banned
GG EZ is like the gnat of insults. Like it technically counts as an insult but is so ineffectual it may as well not even register. Also what's all this talk of "lazy" insults? You want something more elaborate to be insulted by? There's plenty of homophobic, racist, cuck variations to go around thank you very much, unless you want someone to breakdown personal innerworkings through how you played and develop some sort of targeted insult through those means, but that's probably not gonna happen.

Edit: Also D.Va has a voice lines LITERALLY saying easy mode, so yeah.

If it's such a low level insult why is it such a big deal that they're filtering it? They are taking something which is overused to the point where it's cliche and meaningless and filtering it into something else.

They aren't banning people for it or insults in general, they are just filtering one overly used cliche. And yeah D. Va says "easy mode" bit she doesn't say "gg ez" so it's not really relevant here.

Dremark

Banned
It's mild but definitely bm to throw a win in the other team's face. Anyway this isn't going to stop anything and I doubt Blizzard believes it will.

It's just a joke.

Yeah pretty much. It's funny how people are acting like it's "no fun allowed" when they're complaining about the devs having fun with a word filter.

Lulubop

You could make the same argument for a lot of things. Arcade sticks, hotboxes, larger TVs, etc.

People have a choice and people using controls get aim assist anyway so that should balance it out.

Torb had to be nerfed on console because controllers aren't as precise as KB&M. Arcade sticks, aren't an advantage just preference.

I doubt people say gg ez to upset others. In this very thread, there are lots of posters who think otherwise, too. If you played Overwatch, DVa literally has a voice clip where she says easy mode.

What? What other reason would there be to say it other than to get under other people's skin?

Dremark

Banned
Torb had to be nerfed on console because controllers aren't as precise as KB&M. Arcade sticks, aren't an advantage just preference.

Depends on the game. Same with hitboxes, in some games they allow players to do things that are literally impossible on a stick or pad but they aren't banned or left incompatible with any game I am aware of.

If you really think you're at a disadvantage buy a mouse and keyboard.

Dremark

Banned
What? What other reason would there be to say it other than to get under other people's skin?

To be LOL RANDOM XD. We just barely beat the other team so you say GG EZ even though it was very close and could have gone either way. Or your team lost so you say it anyway.

It's so fun to say and see the same thing said by at least 3 or 4 players after every online game and Blizzard is totally ruining everyone's fun by filtering it. ::Frownface::

Dahaka

I agree with this and I never use "gg ez" or anything like that. I laugh it off (in the losing team) or just laugh because it's so goddamn over the top and its intentions so crystal clear and obvious.

TUSR

Banned
Good thing Dota has taught me unique ways to BM people that won't get caught by any filter.

Is there an option to mute all chat too?

Venfayth

I always say gg after a match, win or lose, unless the enemy team was a man down. To me, gg is the equivalent of shaking hands after a game - just the polite, sportsmanly thing to do.

The idea that someone is being sportsmanlike by saying gg after a blowout game now is laughable to me, more likely they're just gloating about their win or being a dick. A lopsided match isn't a good game. In my experience that's how most people treat it regardless of whether or not they say gg or gg ez or whatever.

I'm sure that you and some minority out there do genuinely say gg with good intentions, but I don't really see it that way anymore.

I say gg when it was an actual close or good match, especially when I'm on the losing side.

dity

I claim a truckload of bullshit on you doubting people say GG EZ to try and upset others.

breadtruck

I dont play Overwatch on PC, but on my other PC games I normally see "GG 2EZ" Ive never seen it without a 2 in there.

Does it still change with GG 2EZ, or does the Overwatch PC community not say it that way?

Are you telling me that when I spam "Someone call a doctor" when I throw someone of a cliff as a Lúcio has no effect?

The enemy team can hear your voice lines. However, voice lines don't play during the POTG/POTM at the end of a match They do play when you watch these in the highlights section.

Top Bottom