• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New pc build, help,advice and alot of noob questions

grumpyGamer

Hello my gaf friends.

Just did my first pc build in a long time and i want to discuss it with my gaf friends and maybe get some insight.

So the build is made for 1440p gaming (kind off) mainly or possible 4k.

The specs that i chose were.

Cpu: ryzen 7 2700x
Mobo: assus crosshair vii hero (no wifi)
Ram : 16 gb ram g skill 3000mz
Ssd : 250gb
Hdd :2tb
A 850w psu

The only thing i need is a gpu and a new monitor.
And here is the part where i need some neogaf help.

I want to buy the superwide monitor from samsung that is 49 inch (lc49hg90dmuxe) but i have some doubts about the resolution problem which is 3840x1080.

And i need to buy a good gpu but i dont have money for a new rtx card or to buy a new 1080 ti or 1080.

So i was thinking of either buying a used 1070 or an rx 580. Wich i can get either for like 250 euros (live in portugal)

So finally is the gpu good enough to max the setings at 60fps in that monitor or do i need a better one.
And finally is the monitor good? I only have xp with a normal 1080 monitor that i bought 5 years ago.

If the thread is in the wrong place than just send it in the next world.

Viliger

So i was thinking of either buying a used 1070 or an rx 580. Wich i can get either for like 250 euros (live in portugal)
1070. 580 is a 1080p videocard and that monitor has higher pixel count than 1440p monitor. Also, remember that most games will not support ultra-widescreen properly.

Viliger

Well, I have 1080 with 1440p monitor and it handles everything just fine, but struggles when I downscale from 4k. Your situation is somewhat unique in that most of the time unoptimized games don't have ultrawide support to begin with, so you will have to play them in 1080p and 1070 will handle that resolution just fine. And decently optimized games such as Battlefield V have widescreen support and you should be fine with 1070. I would recommend checking benches for 1440p and 4k for what you are looking to play and go from there.

Last edited:

The 1070 is a great 1440p card. I use mine at 1440p 60+ fps with almost maxed out settings. For example Forza Horizon 4 at 1440p at about 100fps with almost maxed settings an 4x msaa.

My wife also has a 1070 and an ultra wide 34 inch. There are some issues with compatibility on those monitors. They look nice but in general I would recommend something like the Asus Swift ROG monitor with high refresh rate.

Try looking for a 1080 or 1070ti. I just built a rig for a neighbor and he got a 1070ti for like 350 and it came with two games too.

grumpyGamer

I who7kd love a 1070ti or 1080.
But here in my country the prices for a used one are almost 500 euros.
Which is a lot. The monitor i want is 32 :9 so i am worried about compatibility isues too.

What do ypunguys think of the build? Will it scale well with time?

I think the build is good. I built a Ryzen system for a friend with nearly the same specs and it’s treating him well.

I’m still using my 1070 from two years ago and at 1440p with a 144hz monitor it has held up like a champ. Now granted not every game is hitting 144hz unless I downgrade but I don’t mind sitting at 100. I don’t see myself replacing the 1070s we have for now until something is done with the pricing of the new Nvidia tech. I refuse to buy an AMD GPU at this point so in a way I’m part of the problem.

Now there are some troublesome games I will say. The last two games that were shockingly hard to run are the last two assassins creed games. In order to get near 60fps I have to run medium settings at 1440p. I think the issue is with those games in particular.

My rig is an i7 8700k. 16 GB 3600 MHz Memory. ASUS Maximus Hero X. About 4 SSDS and a 4 TB storage drive. With the Asus STRIX 1070 GPU.

Blam

Imo I'd say a large monitor is better then a ultra wide but I have 3 monitors so I think im a bit biased on saying get a 1080 instead of a ultrawide.

Makariel

What do you need a 850 W psu for? Should it also act as electric heater in the winter? I think that's way too much for what you are putting together.

The cpu should last you for a while. Have you had a look at ebay for second hand 1080s? If you want to stay at lower price, have you looked at vega 56s? Also, since you mention euros, don't forget the common market, there's no reason why you only have to look in your own county for computer parts. You can ship them in from virtually anywhere.

Friend of mine just got a new 1080ti from Denmark, where it was almost a third cheaper than in his home country.

Kenpachii

That power supply can be good for many reasons, zero reason to not get it.

Also what i would do for the topic starter.

Remove that screen from your wish list, it's most likely 9 out of the 10 games you play will have issue's. Support for those resolution is far from the norm, it will drive you nuts after a while.

I would opt for a good 1440p screen 144hz gsync low ms or 1080p high hz screen, basically whatever floats your boat. Buy 2 cheap 1080p screens ( 80 bucks are fine ) to put next towards your main screen to be able to multitask when playing games. Once you play behind such setup you will never want to go back. A single screen will feel extremely limited then. You use those 2 other screens for forums / movies / twitch while playing a game as example.

GPU wise for 1440p 1070ti+ atleast, preferable 1080/2080 cards for higher hz screen's.
1080p screen, 1070 would be the minimum as 1060 just isn't that fast anymore these days.

I would also opt for a bigger SSD a 512gb atleast, games are massive these days 100gb is nothing unusual it saves you a lot of reinstalling downloading and dragging files from your other disc.

Last edited:

Makariel

That power supply can be good for many reasons, zero reason to not get it.
There are reasons not to get it. Price for one, a good 850 W psu is simply more expensive and paying more for something not actually needed is waste. Also, every psu has a certain optimum range of power delivery where it's the most efficient. Driving it too close to the limit or with too little load is just reducing the efficiency.

Better to check what wattage one actually needs and then get a good psu (80+ silver certified or better) of the right power is better than getting a big inefficient electric heater that also happens to deliver some power to the components.

There are reasons not to get it. Price for one, a good 850 W psu is simply more expensive and paying more for something not actually needed is waste. Also, every psu has a certain optimum range of power delivery where it's the most efficient. Driving it too close to the limit or with too little load is just reducing the efficiency.

Better to check what wattage one actually needs and then get a good psu (80+ silver certified or better) of the right power is better than getting a big inefficient electric heater that also happens to deliver some power to the components.

I run an EVGA Supernova 850 80+ Titanium.

Spared no expense ;).

grumpyGamer

I bought an 850w gold standard because it was only 20 euros more than the bronze version from corsair.

In the end i bought a 1070 ti for 330 euros with 1.5y waranty still
I did not buy a bigger ssd because of the budget limits

The screen does worry me because most games i dont think will suport it.
But i really want a widescreen, either that one or a 39 inch one from lg

Last edited:

I bought an 850w gold standard because it was only 20 euros more than the bronze version from corsair.

In the end i bought a 1070 ti for 330 euros with 1.5y waranty still
I did not buy a bigger ssd because of the budget limits

The screen does worry me because most games i dont think will suport it.
But i really want a widescreen, either that one or a 39 inch one from lg

I did the ultra wide for like a week and gave it to my Wife. Unless you need it for productivity reasons a standard widescreen monitor is just going to work out better for gaming. And they tend to be more reasonably priced with other features like High Refresh rate etc.

Now if you were working on it and didn’t want dual screens the ultra wide makes more sense.

Kenpachii

Disagree.

You never want to calculate max wattage on what your needs are now ( obviously you need too see what you need as minimum ).
Always future proof your PSU purchase and always buy a high quality version. There is nothing more annoying then having to upgrade a PSU that costs you money time and effort down the line that gives you no performance. And limits you freedom of moving parts around / ocing.

You never know what future brings and frankly even while mostly i am against buying hardware based on future proving when it comes to PSU"s and Cases i am totally for it.

As a PSU stays for a decade most likely with him, it will see many parts move in and out of his PC. Demand changes and just being able to plug things in and make them work even with OCing is far more interesting then buying a PSU that sits on its limits or simple can hit a wall that you don't want to have. All he has to do now is just spend a few more bucks on a 850 and be done with it for a long time. As the 750>850 models of most quality brands are most of the time not far apart.

I talk about 2 decades of experience with pc building here from high to mid tier.. and frankly higher watt is always a must. I would only opt for a lower watt PSU if your budget is limited or build a more budget machine in general that simple will never see high end components.

850w any day of the week.

grumpyGamer

I did the ultra wide for like a week and gave it to my Wife. Unless you need it for productivity reasons a standard widescreen monitor is just going to work out better for gaming. And they tend to be more reasonably priced with other features like High Refresh rate etc.

Now if you were working on it and didn’t want dual screens the ultra wide makes more sense.

I am not a fan of dual screen because it breaks imersion for me.
Maybe the 49 inch is to much but a 21:9 surelly should work fine.
I am tired of gaming on a small monitors.
By the way has anyone had problems updating the last gpu driver on windows 10?
Have the lattest windows 10 build but it still wont update the gpu to the last driver

I am not a fan of dual screen because it breaks imersion for me.
Maybe the 49 inch is to much but a 21:9 surelly should work fine.
I am tired of gaming on a small monitors.
By the way has anyone had problems updating the last gpu driver on windows 10?
Have the lattest windows 10 build but it still wont update the gpu to the last driver

It sounds like you are convinced for the 21:9 aspect ratio. You will end up with a 16:9 picture with black bars on each side for most games.

I wish more games would take advantage of it but sadly it’s still missing quite often.

I would say if that’s what you are going to do make sure the monitor is going to be good for gaming with Response Times etc. I wouldn’t just buy a generic one off the shelves.

I personally use a 16:9 27 inch ROG Swift Gsync 165hz monitor and I would take that ANY day over our Ultrawide that we have.

Last edited:

grumpyGamer

It sounds like you are convinced for the 21:9 aspect ratio. You will end up with a 16:9 picture with black bars on each side for most games.

I wish more games would take advantage of it but sadly it’s still missing quite often.

I would say if that’s what you are going to do make sure the monitor is going to be good for gaming with Response Times etc. I wouldn’t just buy a generic one off the shelves.

I personally use a 16:9 27 inch ROG Swift Gsync 165hz monitor and I would take that ANY day over our Ultrawide that we have.
I know i might regret it later, but after i tried the widescreen i cant gp back to normal .
I deslike small and square monitors

I know i might regret it later, but after i tried the widescreen i cant gp back to normal .
I deslike small and square monitors

Technically a 16:9 isn’t a square monitor. Unless you have been cursed with playing on 4:3s lol. That would kill me too.

Makariel

You never want to calculate max wattage on what your needs are now ( obviously you need too see what you need as minimum ).
I didn't say you should pick the PSU based on maximum wattage, I said based on maximum efficiency. For most PSU that is around 40 to 60% load. Still gives you plenty of room to expand and overclock (especially if it's a quality PSU). The element eating most power is usually the graphics card. Even a RTX2080ti uses much less than 400 Watts (less than 50 for most media consumption, about 280 W under torture tests or gaming load). So what exactly are you future proofing for? Do you expect the 3080ti to use double the power?

You can't really future proof your PSU or case, because who knows with what sort of connectors, form factors and other nonsense we'll have to deal with in 5 years time? What you call "future proofing" is what I call "potential waste of money". Also, OT didn't mention overclocking. Most people never overclock, not every machine needs to be ready for that.

As the 750>850 models of most quality brands are most of the time not far apart.
That I agree with, in many cases it makes perfect sense to take a higher rated PSU since it actually costs so little extra. Still, most computers just have way larger power supplies than they would ever need. My PC runs with modular 650 W PSU for over a decade now, which has even seen the R9 390 previously, which according to the box "required" a 750 W PSU. Still worked fine on 650 W, never had any issues or system instability. Still using the same power supply now, no problems, and with the new components the power consumption actually went down.

And since you quote your 2 decades of building experience, as if that means anything since PCs 2 decades ago were a completely different beast: I build my first PC in 1995, so don't think you're all that old :p I'm talking on the PSU perspective as someone who built my own power supplies in the past.

grumpyGamer

I didn't say you should pick the PSU based on maximum wattage, I said based on maximum efficiency. For most PSU that is around 40 to 60% load. Still gives you plenty of room to expand and overclock (especially if it's a quality PSU). The element eating most power is usually the graphics card. Even a RTX2080ti uses much less than 400 Watts (less than 50 for most media consumption, about 280 W under torture tests or gaming load). So what exactly are you future proofing for? Do you expect the 3080ti to use double the power?

You can't really future proof your PSU or case, because who knows with what sort of connectors, form factors and other nonsense we'll have to deal with in 5 years time? What you call "future proofing" is what I call "potential waste of money". Also, OT didn't mention overclocking. Most people never overclock, not every machine needs to be ready for that.

That I agree with, in many cases it makes perfect sense to take a higher rated PSU since it actually costs so little extra. Still, most computers just have way larger power supplies than they would ever need. My PC runs with modular 650 W PSU for over a decade now, which has even seen the R9 390 previously, which according to the box "required" a 750 W PSU. Still worked fine on 650 W, never had any issues or system instability. Still using the same power supply now, no problems, and with the new components the power consumption actually went down.

And since you quote your 2 decades of building experience, as if that means anything since PCs 2 decades ago were a completely different beast: I build my first PC in 1995, so don't think you're all that old :p I'm talking on the PSU perspective as someone who built my own power supplies in the past.

I do overclock but i bought it mainly with the mentality that better to have more than less, it cost me 70 euros.
The 500w or 650w were around 45 to 60 euros the cheapest ones.
So i thought to hell with it.
I also thought that in the future i whould maybe go with dual gpu.
I am not a master of psu so i cant speak more than that 😉

STI

AMD platform is very picky on the RAM choice. make sure your RAM is fully compatible with AMD ryzen. If they dont, you will only be able to get them to run at 2400mhz max.

I've made that mistake, I got the regular Gskill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200mhz that aren't fully compitable with AMD. If I set the RAM clock to anything higher than 2400, my 2700x system would crash and BSoD.

Last edited:

grumpyGamer

AMD platform is very picky on the RAM choice. make sure your RAM is fully compatible with AMD ryzen. If they dont, you will only be able to get them to run at 2400mhz max.

I've made that mistake, I got the regular Gskill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200mhz that aren't fully compitable with AMD. If I set the RAM clock to anything higher than 2400, my 2700x system would crash and BSoD.
I bought the g skill ddr4 3000mhz aegis.
🤔 did not even think about that

dorkimoe

Where did everyone go? We need to revive this thread. I really want to build another PC, but mine is perfectly fine at running everything. So sad. Tempted to build one of those micro builds

J-Roderton

Where did everyone go? We need to revive this thread. I really want to build another PC, but mine is perfectly fine at running everything. So sad. Tempted to build one of those micro builds

Yeah I'm just now getting into the world of PC gaming. Got a few years old rig that I'm prob just throwing a good GPU and power source into. I know nothing. ha

Helios

There's a PC building specific thread but I always forget it's name and I'm never able to find it.

angelic

Banned
Can I ask for a bit of advice please, I'm speccing up a new PC, not bought one for over ten years, just been running a laptop into a monitor. Budget about £900, I've put this together from a local PC place I want to use. Need opinions on it please, if there are any glaring errors or suggestions. Any help appreciated.

Case: Coolermaster Q300P Micro ATX
PSU: 600W Thermaltake Smart RGB
CPU: i5 9600K *Cooler Required
Cooler: Intel CPU Cooler * Not for K CPUs
Board: Gigabyte H310M S2H
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000 - Crucial Balistics
GFX: 6GB GTX 1660 Ti GAMING X
HDD: 240GB SSD - 500Mb/ps
Warranty: 3 Year Warranty - (2 Year parts)
Audio: On Board Sound card - Standard
Network: On Board Network Card - Standard

system builder here if anyone wants a look:

Corrik

I'd suggest building your own.

Just built mine 5 days ago.

Noctura NH-15
Z390 Ultra
RTX 2080
Samsung Evo 860 500gb
WD Black 4 TB
32 GB Ram Corsair
Op Drive
Microsoft 10

V4skunk

Banned
Can I ask for a bit of advice please, I'm speccing up a new PC, not bought one for over ten years, just been running a laptop into a monitor. Budget about £900, I've put this together from a local PC place I want to use. Need opinions on it please, if there are any glaring errors or suggestions. Any help appreciated.

Case: Coolermaster Q300P Micro ATX
PSU: 600W Thermaltake Smart RGB
CPU: i5 9600K *Cooler Required
Cooler: Intel CPU Cooler * Not for K CPUs
Board: Gigabyte H310M S2H
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000 - Crucial Balistics
GFX: 6GB GTX 1660 Ti GAMING X
HDD: 240GB SSD - 500Mb/ps
Warranty: 3 Year Warranty - (2 Year parts)
Audio: On Board Sound card - Standard
Network: On Board Network Card - Standard

system builder here if anyone wants a look:

The cpu cooler won't fit the K-series i5 and get rid of the warranty and build the pc your self.

Top Bottom