• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pinball Arcade Kickstarter - Terminator 2: Judgment Day [Complete, $62K funded]

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-terminator-2-judgment-day

8123b4f5e14fb8557e6eee31f904ee9a_large.jpg

[mod abuse]
Why T2 and why now?
FarSight has a very limited window with which to do T2. Waiting will not make the license cheaper, it will make it unavailable. There is another game company that has purchased the Terminator license for exclusivity. Their game is in development but has not been announced to the best of my knowledge. They paid HUGE dollars for this license. FarSight managed to sneak in do to the fact that theirs will not be a competing game, but once that other game is announced, all doors close. That is the reality of the situation. I completely agree that having the Steam and 360 stuff be available would have been ideal, but obviously the clock is ticking.

As to what will happen to the physical machine they have? C'mon, Jay obviously loves that thing. I think the mayor of Big Bear will just have a new toy!

I do think it's scary that the cost of the license is for Ah-nold and the name of T2. By the way, T5 is rolling forward too because I believe in 2018 the rights to the Terminator revert back to James Cameron. You'll remember he sold them to Gale Anne Hurd for $1 to get the first movie made. She also happened to be his wife at the time. So FarSight isn't the only company under the gun to get things with that license moving quickly.
[/mod abuse]

The licenses for Terminator 2: Judgment Day will cost $66,000 (and that’s just for the licenses- we’ll cover all of the development expenses ourselves). Thanks to the amazing generosity of pinball fans throughout the world, our previous Kickstarter project for the Star Trek: The Next Generation pinball table raised $7,000 more than we needed for the Star Trek: licenses and we're applying this towards the license costs of Terminator 2: Judgment Day. If we can raise the remaining $59,000 we’ll be able to digitize Terminator 2: Judgment Day and preserve one of the greatest pinball tables of all time. If we don't reach our goal no credit cards will be charged, but if we raise more then the goal we’ll be able to digitize other licensed tables as well, including the next table we'd really like to pursue- Bally's incredible classic The Addams Family!

Good to hear they're using the leftover money from the ST:TNG Kickstarter to cover part of the cost of the T2 license. Also, it's nice to hear that they're going to go after Addams Family next, but that whole situation with Raul Julia's estate makes me think they may not get it.

Anyway, glad to see they're carrying on with this sort of thing. I've got both ST:TNG and TZ on Pinball Arcade, and they're fantastic tables. Hope this one is successful too!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
If they ever get around to the Wii U port... which, if I remember correctly, had been submitted a few months ago...

BOTEC

Unless you are on PS3 and Vita, so there's some hope for PS4.

Right. Cross-marketplace would be a better term. I bought a bunch of stuff on Google Play, but my iPad only lists the one table I bought through iTunes when I log in to my Pinball Arcade account. Sucks.

No backing here till wiiu/pc versions are out :p

By the time this KS project has hit its deadline, they'll only be a short while away. Well, the PC version, anyway. Everyone interested in playing this table should pledge the minimum because the last one was barely able to make its goal. If it looks like it's comfortably able to complete, you could always pull out if you didn't feel it still. Early momentum is essential to nearly all KS projects' chances for success.

vg260

Gah. I want to support this, but no way am I giving money via Kickstarter after the shady campaigns they've supported.

Pinball Arcade Facebook: said:
In more good news, Sony has announced a Cross Discount feature for the PS4. This will allow us to offer customers who have previously purchased Pinball Arcade content on other Sony platforms a discount when they buy that content on PS4.

Better than nothing.

Is this game ever coming out on PC?
From a facebook update:

"PC/Steam: Since our Steam Greenlight several months ago, we’ve been hard at work creating a Steam version of the Pinball Arcade. We’re happy to announce that the first Beta build of the Steam platform was released to internal test this week! We will be conducting a closed public Beta of the Steam version in July- if you are one of our Kickstarter backers entitled to Beta access on the PC platform, watch your email for information on how to get access! We are targeting an August release for the Pinball Arcade on Steam with all of the current table packs available."

Lettuce

Yeah im not sure why everyone wouldn't want to back this table who has TPA, even for the lowest backing value!!. If this isnt a successes it might mean there may be no other KS tables in the future....so no Addams Family, Indiana Jones etc :(

A great Tournament video here from PAPA 14 Finals, the music and sound effects on this table are awesome!!!...........

TERMINATOR 2

Lettuce

I might pitch in, but I hate the fact that I can't transfer my purchases cross-platform.

Well if you back $20 you can get it on 2 platforms of your choice.

And The Pinball Aracde is coming out on PC (Steam) in late August/early September time, just in time for this table to be released if it gets backed. I'll defo be changing my mian platform over to the PC version once its out.

If this table doesn't get backed then thats it for T2 for The Pinball Arcade...we will never see it on The Pinball Arcade EVER!!!, which would be a damn shame!!!! :(

Need to get Jeff Gerstmann behind this

Ban Puncher

I still haven't got my Twilight Zone 360 version I backed and the convoluted way to access the iPad KS reward tables is pretty irritating, it's easier to just buy them when they are normally available.

I'll buy a T2 table when it's available day dot but I ain't down with another Pinball Arcade Kickstarter. Once bitten, twice pissed off.

Raitaro

I've become quite conflicted when it comes to backing FarSight's campaigns throughout these last months.

On the one hand I fully support their cause to preserve and digitize classic pinball machines for future generations. It simply needs to be done and done well. In addition, it is also mostly due to FarSight's previous good work on the Gottlieb and Williams Collections that I rediscovered how fun pinball can be in the first place and also how important it has been as an entertainment form in general. This new interest even culminated in me seeking out as many venues that still had pinball tables as I could while I was in the US last year (with special shout outs to the Pinballz Arcade in Austin and the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas, both of which had excellent collections!).

On the other hand, the way in which FarSight has spread out the releases and updates for their latest game has made it very difficult to know which version to pick and stick with. This really has diminished my interest in for the time being I must admit. Also, what I really miss in their Pinball Arcade are some of the features that were present in their older collections, such as more camera angles, a more fully developed visual interface that looks like an actual arcade, and especially a mode in which you can play table after table trying to accomplish certain goals in order to proceed.

So, when it comes to this latest project and my own stance towards it: I just don't know yet! Maybe I'll support it, as I did the Twilight Zone table, or not (as in the case of Star Trek). Pinball Gaf: any advice would be appreciated! (Also: Junk Yard and Fish Tales could bring me fully back onboard, so get on it FarSight...please.)

I still haven't received my 360 versions of Star Trek and Twilight Zone. I know it's not entirely their fault given the publisher situation and I enjoy the iOS product, but until they sort that out I'm not donating any more kickstarter money.

pubba

Don't know if this will (or should) change your mind, but Kickstarter did offer an apology as well as an immediate ban on seduction guide projects going forward. Unfortunately, the one that everyone was protesting still gets its money because yeah.

I think the original post was referring to the Susan Wilson kickstarter scam which went unhindered despite a lot of people reporting it..

Accidental scam, or not? The charming story of Mackenzie Wilson made the rounds in March 2013: The 9-year-old girl was asking for funds to attend computer-programming camp so she could show her brothers that she could build a game all on her own. The camp cost $829. Her mother, Susan, set up a Kickstarter campaign for her daughter since she was too young to do it herself, and the response was huge.

People pledged thousands to help Mackenzie reach her tech goal and go to camp. However, word soon spread that Susan was Susan Wilson—a millionaire former CEO whose online photos revealed purchases of $1,500 shoes. Wilson defended her project, calling it a modern-day version of the lemonade stand, according to Buzzfeed, but that was no consolation to the campaign contributors feeling duped after spending thousands to help Mackenzie.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
T2 is the best action movie ever made, with very few films like Predator, Aliens, and Die Hard even coming close.

Shaneus

I was wondering if there was an official thread for this... glad to see there is! Backing the hell out of this, so stoked to see another S. Ritchie table hit TPA :D

BTW Hey OP, mind putting a link to the official Pinball Arcade thread in the first post? Doesn't get much visibility anymore, being in Community. Need all the help we can get!

Edit:
I wish they would Kickstart the hiring of a new UI designer for their game. Especially before the PC/PS4 version comes out.
Pretty sure they have a lone guy working full-time on a new front-end interface. Likely to be visible for the next base update for the game, whenever that is (I suspect the PC version will have that new interface, not sure about other platforms).

I still haven't received my 360 versions of Star Trek and Twilight Zone. I know it's not entirely their fault given the publisher situation and I enjoy the iOS product, but until they sort that out I'm not donating any more kickstarter money.
It's not their fault in the slightest, and there is still movement in the courts regarding the legal status of releasing the game on 360. They've also made a point of stating that when showing preview videos for upcoming packs, they're always from the 360 version as it's their lead platform (and this has been going on for at least the last 6-8 months or so, possibly more). So I can guarantee you that once the legal red-tape is cleared, you'll see everything released and up-to-date (including bugfixes) as soon as everything passes MS cert.
BTW I think you're also forgetting that Farsight offered to change the platform for all backers who chose 360 to something else... same with PC.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I wish they'd have gone after Addams Family first. T2 is good, but overrated.

Shaneus

From what I could gather, they had a very finite window for which they could apply to get licensing for Terminator 2... as in, within the space of months or so. I'm just glad to hear Addams Family is finally on the table and not just a "we'll try our best" scenario. Genuinely sounds like they have a good shot at getting it, which is surprising considering the whole thing with Raul Julia's estate.

Ocaso

Unfortunately, saying they'd like to pursue it isn't much of a promise. If, as been rumored, the estate of Raul Julia remains intransigent, there's not much they can do short of sacrificing the full authenticity that is their trademark. Hopefully they'll pull it off, but I'm not optimistic.

That said, T2 should be awesome, so best of luck to them!

Shaneus

So, when it comes to this latest project and my own stance towards it: I just don't know yet! Maybe I'll support it, as I did the Twilight Zone table, or not (as in the case of Star Trek). Pinball Gaf: any advice would be appreciated! (Also: Junk Yard and Fish Tales could bring me fully back onboard, so get on it FarSight...please.)
I'm not sure on Junk Yard (I don't think it was ever that popular), but I'd have to say Fish Tales would be up there as a table that'd be released during their regular schedule and not as something that requires a specific license to use (see: Whitewater). I'd be surprised if we didn't see it by the end of the year.

Shaneus

For those not keen on donating/backing, this post on PAF sums up fairly well why the hardcore fans are backing regardless:
For me, the particular table being Kickstarted is irrelevant. This is a poll: Does the fan community want tables with expensive licenses in TPA? The only reason Farsight went through Kickstarter in the first place is because fans were begging for Twilight Zone, a table they had already rejected doing because the license was too costly. It was this community that suggested Kickstarter, and Farsight did it despite the hassles involved. If we say 'no' on this one, that will tell them the support isn't there for tables that aren't more popular T2. That's a list that conceivably could include every licensed table not named The Addams Family.

I wish Farsight would skip Kickstarter and charge $10 for T2, but that's more risk than they are comfortable with, and no doubt they'd get shredded on Facebook for making a cash grab. Which is ludicrous, by the way: I can't think of a worse way to get rich on the Internet than digitizing pinball tables.

You know after they said the last 2 were going to come to 3DS and then backed out on that after the Donations had ended I'm not keen on backing these guys.

Lettuce

Apparently the 3DS didnt have the horse power to run the game at an acceptable frame rate. The Wii U version looks good though, get the DMD display on the Wii U controller!!

Shaneus

Apparently the 3DS didnt have the horse power to run the game at an acceptable frame rate. The Wii U version looks good though, get the DMD display on the Wii U controller!!
Yeah, the story was that the 3DS wasn't able to emulate the ROMs and have it run at a playable speed at the same time, so they're going to release PHoF-esque packs that are purely scripted (but of course, this limits the tables that they'll do... I don't think they're going to be dynamic releases, just a couple of packs and that's it).

Its just annoying that they said hey we'll have a 3DS version and you'll be able to get that once its made, heck I even replied in the emails they sent asking which version I want with 3DS, but no emails or contacts from them about this.

Its the risk you take with Kickstarters I guess at the end of the day

Shaneus

This should probably be in the OP, from PAF:
FarSight has a very limited window with which to do T2. Waiting will not make the license cheaper, it will make it unavailable. There is another game company that has purchased the Terminator license for exclusivity. Their game is in development but has not been announced to the best of my knowledge. They paid HUGE dollars for this license. FarSight managed to sneak in do to the fact that theirs will not be a competing game, but once that other game is announced, all doors close. That is the reality of the situation. I completely agree that having the Steam and 360 stuff be available would have been ideal, but obviously the clock is ticking.

As to what will happen to the physical machine they have? C'mon, Jay obviously loves that thing. I think the mayor of Big Bear will just have a new toy!

I do think it's scary that the cost of the license is for Ah-nold and the name of T2. By the way, T5 is rolling forward too because I believe in 2018 the rights to the Terminator revert back to James Cameron. You'll remember he sold them to Gale Anne Hurd for $1 to get the first movie made. She also happened to be his wife at the time. So FarSight isn't the only company under the gun to get things with that license moving quickly.

I had a reply written up for you, Worthintendo, but this post on PAF is a bit more succinct (if far more aggressive than what I wrote) but it kind of covers what I was going to say:
I don't understand why backers get their panties bunched up over the reward. IMO it's really stupid to even offer the table as a reward in the first place. You should be backing to get the machine made not to get the table for "free".

I get it, it's a reward and it shouldn't be a hassle but, if you are already donating 50$ to 100$ or more, what's another 5 bucks? Is it really worth getting upset over, or boycotting future kick starters over? I'm sure they will have it together this time anyway.
If you're upset you didn't get Twilight Zone on 3DS for whatever amount you backed, then I'm sorry. But if you're not at least a little happy that your money helped allow all other people who play TPA to experience TZ as well, I'd be incredibly surprised. And I don't see how that's a reason to not back T2. If you look at the beginning of my post, this is likely the last chance we'll ever have to get a proper port of this machine. Plus, if this doesn't have any interest, what chance will there be of seeing other licensed tables like TAF or Simpsons PP? Basically zero.

coldone

I was under the impression that these games sell in millions on iOS ?.

If they are not able to recoup $66K by putting the game on PSN, XBL, iOS, Android, not sure who really makes money in the gaming business.

I was under the impression that these games sell in millions on iOS ?.

If they are not able to recoup $66K by putting the game on PSN, XBL, iOS, Android, not sure who really makes money in the gaming business.

Millions of free downloads, I'm sure. As for conversion rate, maybe up to a hundred-thousand table sales? Maybe tens of thousands for most tables. Thing is, pinball in 2013 is niche. Classic pinball tables being remade for a relatively small group of people interested in it is probably even more uncommon. As much as I bitch and moan about FS, they are the only game in town for this.

Layth

This is my favorite Pinball table of all time, and the table I wanted the most when Pinball Arcade was initially announced. I really hope this is successful.

Shaneus

Millions of free downloads, I'm sure. As for conversion rate, maybe up to a hundred-thousand table sales? Maybe tens of thousands for most tables. Thing is, pinball in 2013 is niche. Classic pinball tables being remade for a relatively small group of people interested in it is probably even more uncommon. As much as I bitch and moan about FS, they are the only game in town for this.
Piracy would be rife as well. They may get millions of people downloading the app for free on iOS, but there are ways to get the DLC for free illegally... hence, lots of downloads but for those specific people, no purchases. And don't forget the potential downloads on 360 where they can't buy DLC... or they just download it to demo it.

Probably for the best, Farsight can barely even get the game to run on Vita. I'd rather they not bother on 3DS at all than shit all over the tables with more of this disgusting looking trash:

Top Bottom