• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Platinum Games Title - Vanquish (Mikami TPS, PS3/360, Winter 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilam01

Banned
God's Beard said:
Itagaki's been doing that for years.

It does explain the absurd storylines in both ninja gaiden and bayonetta. A ninja teams up with a big boobied CIA agent to fight monsters and spider ninja's??? wow seriously? Seems vanquish' plot seems a little bit more sensible.... not by much however.

They need to tone down the cheese a little, it's hurting their appeal in the west.

nilam01 said:
It does explain the absurd storylines in both ninja gaiden and bayonetta. A ninja teams up with a big boobied CIA agent to fight monsters and spider ninja's??? wow seriously? Seems vanquish' plot seems a little bit more sensible.... not by much however.

The president was kidnapped by ninjas, and you're not a bad enough dude to rescue him.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
vanquish-screenshots-20100428004457126.jpg

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/1423...enshots-20100428004457126.html?page=mediaFull

Nimyh

Banned
nilam01 said:
I like to think that the storylines are absurd and make no sense because no one really cares about their quality, the gameplay in these games comes first and everything else is just built around that.

Canova

Banned
toasty_T said:
Fuck the West, cheese 4 life.

Bayonetta had a good story too. Much better than FFXIII.

*vomits*

Back to the game. The game looks good. I just wish they give us the option to go melee-only. Too many damn shooters already, hack-n-slah fans are being deprived

Personally, I love the cheese, but I do agree that if they managed to tell a more Western-friendly story (so long as it didn't interfere with the flavor of the gameplay) their games might see much greater success. The story and art is the bait that you use to get people to try the fantastic gameplay. I've got plenty of friends who refused to touch Bayonetta because it 'looked weird.' Those people should have been customers.

yencid

badcrumble said:
Personally, I love the cheese, but I do agree that if they managed to tell a more Western-friendly story (so long as it didn't interfere with the flavor of the gameplay) their games might see much greater success. The story and art is the bait that you use to get people to try the fantastic gameplay. I've got plenty of friends who refused to touch Bayonetta because it 'looked weird.' Those people should have been customers.
fuck that shit! i want normal people punching boulders inside volcanoes and hair dragons eating angles dammit.

badcrumble said:

Well then Vanquish should do just fine.

nilam01 said:
Wow you people are touchy :D

God of war 3 > bayonetta (*runs like the devil out of this thread)

Oh noes, this thread are ruined.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Roarer said:
Swedish mag LEVEL has a 6-page preview of the game in their latest issue. They also interviewed Mikami and Inaba during a conference. A couple of highlights:

• The game is a lot faster than traditional third person shooters. Sam can boost from cover to cover, quick tempo and intensity seems to be keywords when designing the game.
• According to the article, the action is only ever paused to allow Sam to take a couple of drags on his cigarett (which apparently explains the low placement of his visor.
• The game plays more like a shmup a la Sin & Punishment rather than Gears of War.
• Sam carries one gun, which the suit can transform into another gun, for example a shotgun turns into a machine gun. Real-time weapon morphing?!
• close quarter combat plays a major role.
• Mikami admits that the game looks very similar to other shooters on the surface, but promises that the speed and tempo will set it apart.
• Inaba says that "Mikami is free to do whatever he wants"
• The author of the article is not too impressed by neither story nor cinematics and thinks that the game works best when it focuses on the intense action.
• Mikami opens the conference by saying "Is there anyone from IGN here? Thanks for that God Hand review". :-D

All in all it looks pretty awesome, hoping it will deliver a solid gameplay experience a la God Hand.
Sounds fucking sweet.

The IGN bit... :lol

eso76

Decado said:
How brutal is the combat? I think I heard that you fight against robots, so they should let you go all out.

Putting it this way makes it sound like Kyashan/Casshern, if it wasn't for the fact the suit is rather bulky. Regardless, this concept in the hands of Mikami is too awesome for words.

While i would like a little more personality in design (i really liked the ceramic white suit from the trailer for example) the game does look gorgeous, and it's almost certainly going to be 60fps,

Nimyh

Banned
Decado said:
How brutal is the combat? I think I heard that you fight against robots, so they should let you go all out.
If it does go the Casshern route as someone suggested, this could end up being more brutal than Madworld despite the lower rating. I wish. :lol

Nah, it looks more like a shooting game. And headshots won't be that satisfying either I bet.

[Nintex]

Roarer said:
• Inaba says that "Mikami is free to do whatever he wants"
• Mikami opens the conference by saying "Is there anyone from IGN here? Thanks for that God Hand review".[:-D
Mikamiii!!!!

So this is pretty much P.N.03 2.0 YES YES YES YES YES

geebee

Banned
Mar said:
Admitting to trolling is not good for your health.
Nope. Especially as a Junior. *tsk*

This is my most wanted game for this year actually. God Hand was one of the most refreshing game experiences I've had recently, so I'm really looking forward to what Vanquish will be like.

Just not all that hyped for what's been shown thus far. I was really hoping for a spiritual successor to Resident Evil so maybe that's part of my annoyance but I'll keep my eyes out for this when it releases.

It would be cool if this was PN03 with better controls, mainly in the sense that it is about dodging, patterns, and all that.

It wasn't because of Vanquish or any reason, but I started playing PN03 again a week or so ago and my right arm is killing me from hitting the A button so much. The suits with automatic suck except for the lvl 3 one and I don't have enough points yet. Doesn't help that I'm now mixing in SSF4.

And just on PN03, I think a lot of the appeal in that game has already been improved on a billion times over in God Hand, just as a brawler instead of a shooter. If Vanquish is taking all the improvements from God Hand and moving it back to a shooter, that will be pretty awesome.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
I just hope it doesn't have that sickening blur effect Gears 1 had, argh... at times I couldn't play the game. Gears 2 kinda fix it, but Gears 1 was all blurry that I got dizzy everytime the camera moved. And I been playing games for years, never happen to me before, Gears 1 and Mass Effect were the first one to cause me such side effect, then it was Killzone 2.

robor

If this game is going to play like I imagine it will, Mikami should definitely think about implementing PS Move into the PS3 version. Like RE4 Wii, it will only enhance the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom