• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PlayStation controller patent suggests PS5 will pivot to cloud gaming in a big way

Me and the boys had lots of fun last night with the new DualShock controller :D
Did you enjoy the HD rumble "sensation"?

So you should if one is against needing to log in to a net work . Be interesting to see all the SONY lot boycotting the PS5 if the controller needs to log into a network in order to be used LOL . Still... What goes around comes around
Dude, times change and people change too.

Remember PS2 (exotic/RISC) vs OG XBOX (x86/CISC) system wars?

People were swearing they didn't want PC-based chips in their console box and look where we are now...

thelastword

Banned
I could see a few things happening....

1.) You can connect to your games and that of others with only a PS5 controller through the web, your account details, game library or your friend's will be accessible...….Call it enhanced remoteplay and shareplay...

2.) PSNOW owners would be able to play on any screen with a simple handshake.....

3.) Enhanced Raytracing capabilities via cloud computing

The latter was already displayed in an AMD presentation...

11052655607l.jpg

scalman

I need all the new tech stuff that they can put there, yes more options better. You dont need to use them if you dont want to though. So win anyway

Did you enjoy the HD rumble "sensation"?

Dude, times change and people change too.

Remember PS2 (exotic/RISC) vs OG XBOX (x86/CISC) system wars?

People were swearing they didn't want PC-based chips in their console box and look where we are now...

Just my point. It always changed when SONY adopts it. Microsoft used PC parts from the start.
So just watch with the PS5 how wonderful it is to play games in 4K, to be always online, having BC and enjoy watching UHD BluRays :messenger_winking:

Handy Fake

There's not a chance that's for local PS5 gaming.
I think Gameradar have put two and two together and come up with cabbages.

Shrap

With MS and Sony bolstering cloud/streaming services it actually has me wondering if next gen will be the final generation of traditional consoles. Maybe after that they'll both have their own streaming boxes and then it will just become purely software based. Not looking forward to it. It will be interesting to see what Nintendo does, but given their greed driven dips into the mobile market I'd say they'll join in once it is big and stable enough.

Tumle

that great news... now i can use all the arguments from sony fanboys vs the MS cloud gaming to attack Sony cloud gaming....

or is NOW cloud gaming the new dope nextgen shit? 😊
Uhm you do know, Sony has been doing cloud gaming for years now, right?
Even being able to stream your own games from your own hardware to other devices, plus game sharing with friends and let them play your games

but continue on you system war path!!
You will show those damn kids someday!!

Last edited:

yurinka

This patent isn't related to play local games, sounds like a DS5 additional feature to improve input lag not only with PS Now, but also with Share Play and (when made over the internet) Remote Play.

It also may help to avoid controller compatibility issues and possible extra input lag added when playing PS Now with a Dualshock on a phone, tablet or computer. Now these devices only would need to stream a video as if it was youtube or Twitch stream, the controller will handle everything else.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Uhm you do know, Sony has been doing cloud gaming for years now, right?
Even being able to stream your own games from your own hardware to other devices, plus game sharing with friends and let them play your games

but continue on you system war path!!
You will show those damn kids someday!!

Yeah what was he trying to get at? Sony has been innovating in tht space first and now microsft is playing catch up. Only thing is with Sony thy havent over promised.

But back to the thread. I like how Sony doesn't try to shove it down ppls faces and approach it more as an option. Cloud gaming advancements are always welcomed. I enjoyed shareplay, remote play, etc on ps3/ps4 so I look forward to further innovation in cloud gaming and other places.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Where's the part that says it'll use BT?

The text in the OP says it doesn't connect to the PS5, and also disclaims that this may be a new controller specific to streaming use rather than the DualShock 5.
When you use the controller near you console it works connected via Bluetooth with your PS5 just like PS4.

When you travel and use that controller connected to the hotel TV you play via Cloud gaming.

That is the best example to understand.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Holy shit. So sony fanboys are shitting all over xcloud or whatever tf its called, while Sony is taking dumb shit from stadia that obviously doesn't work well??? Oh the irony lol

Panaphonics

Banned
Holy shit. So sony fanboys are shitting all over xcloud or whatever tf its called, while Sony is taking dumb shit from stadia that obviously doesn't work well??? Oh the irony lol
Yup, typical blind Sony fanboys.
They are so deep in Sony’s ass, Sony can do whatever they want and they will take it.
But it’s typical Sony, almost all of their crap, they copy something and make it bland and it will run like crap.
Now they are trying to copy google stadia and will be even worse than stadia for sure.
Same with PlayStation move, what a shitty copy of Wii.

Top Bottom