• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Game to be announced next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why attack and 'I got hit!' animations should take any longer for 3D models than for sprites. As long as they don't mess it up like Genius Sonority did.

idk. compare pokemon stadium with the portable games. I would love devil may cry speed in terms of animation... but gamefreak? lol.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
That looks all fine and dandy... until you realize battles take longer than diamond/pearl.

Give me higher res sprites with attack animations and 'I got hit!' animations, and I'll be happy.

There should still an option to disable animations.

Wichu

idk. compare pokemon stadium with the portable games. I would love devil may cry speed in terms of animation... but gamefreak? lol.

Seeing as they've been progressively increasing the battle speed since D/P's abomination, I don't think they'll slow it down again (at least, not to D/P levels).

Ultima_5

That looks all fine and dandy... until you realize battles take longer than diamond/pearl.

Give me higher res sprites with attack animations and 'I got hit!' animations, and I'll be happy.

This. People aren't realizing how much slower of a game it'll end up being. Like dq8 compared to the ds lnes. Love me some sprite work

Higher res sprites are probably more feasible in grey/gray but overall it all depends really on what way they made black/white and if they knew "whilst making b/w" that grey/gray would also see a version on the 3ds..

If they want to implement the pokedex 3d models.. I'd say it will more likely be the next game after gray/grey tbh..

It airs Sundays at 7:30am? No wonder Super Sentai always has disappointing ratings...it's going up against Pokemon directly. That's no way to win.

Seeing as they've been progressively increasing the battle speed since D/P's abomination, I don't think they'll slow it down again (at least, not to D/P levels).
If they stick to hi-res 2d sprites with animations, they could solve both the jagged pixeley-ness of the zoom-in camera in-battle, and they could keep either the same battle speed as in B/W or improve that, even. Plus, I don't think they have enough 3D staff to go all out on 3D modeling for all of the Pokemon anyhow.

Wiseblade

If they stick to hi-res 2d sprites with animations, they could solve both the jagged pixeley-ness of the zoom-in camera in-battle, and they could keep either the same battle speed as in B/W or improve that, even. Plus, I don't think they have enough 3D staff to go all out on 3D modeling for all of the Pokemon anyhow.

That what Creatures Inc/Pokédex 3D are for.

Boerseun

Banned
I want a Wii U sequel to Colosseum and XD. The art style employed in these games are just gorgeous. And though they still play like Pokémon on handheld, there tends to be a stronger focus on story, with fewer Pokémon but also a more compact experience, faster progression, and a shorter playtime. I consider these positive features, with the playtime being especially important, as many people simply can't find the time to invest in the handheld games. I'm still working on Black and there's no way I'm going to be done with it by the time the next one comes out. I still like Pokémon though, and always have, and don't want to be left out of the Pokémon universe, which I've always found very pleasant, charming and relaxing.

Mr Swine

Banned
Me: "Pleeeeaaseeeee can it come to the 3DS?"

Iwata: [laughs], "No, it's for the DS"

Me: ):

I really do hope it's for the 3DS!

zroid

Banned
The last time he teased something would be announced on this show, it was utterly lame. I'm not getting my hopes up again.
OK, maybe just a little.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but there is no mention of a "game announcement" in the preview of next week's episode. We'll have to trust Junichi Masuda in this one!

As for the game, maybe it could be something for WiiU launch? That would certainly give WiiU some strength, but the only problem I see with that it's the timing. I'd expect something as that to be announced at E3, but it's still a possibility.

Another(obvious) option would be Pokémon Gray. We all know this one is most likely coming sometime, and if it uses the Pokédex 3D models, it would be amazing and hype would go through the roof.

I just hope it's something for 3DS or WiiU, and that we have an actual game announcement next weekend.

udivision

Oh wait, this is Nobunga isn't it.
Or are we going to fall for the "It's a new game!" thing only to realize it's been revealed before like Pokepark 2 and the time before it.

Me: "Pleeeeaaseeeee can it come to the 3DS?"

Iwata: [laughs], "No, it's for the DS"

Me: ):

I really do hope it's for the 3DS!
If you think nintendo wants this on ds at what would be 1.5 years after its death and a good 2 years after at its NA release when it could be selling 3ds systems then ...
Though gamefreak is weird as heck at times.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I originally assumed it would be DS as well, but not if it is a fall 2012 release or later. It's a 3DS game now.

"dead" or not it's certainly not getting any livelier but I digress all these arguments have been used over and over. All we can do is wait and see.

survivor

Banned
Is there anything about this on CoroCoro? Generally they have preview hints as well if a new game is supposed to be out

I don't mind if it's DS or 3DS. I will have to pay more for the latter since I don't have a 3DS so I hope it will be a different type of game than the rest.

Wiseblade

3DS is doing just fine without it. Best to wait for gen 6 to really give them hardware sales a boost.

And calling DS "dead" is inaccurate.

Fine, "succession". Either way, Nintendo definitely don't want the newest iteration of one of the biggest franchises in the world milling around on old hardware when they have something shiny and new to promote.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
3DS is doing just fine without it. Best to wait for gen 6 to really give them hardware sales a boost.

And calling DS "dead" is inaccurate.

This will be a first quarter of 13 release in the west - you really think it will make sense to be a DS release a this point ? Not to mention all the piracy on DS. They should go 3DD exclusive - gotta get that DLC money.

Cookie18

So long as it's a proper game and not another spin off game this will be fantastic. Could we possibly get the added bonus of it being a 3DS game? Please make it so Gamefreak!

That what Creatures Inc/Pokédex 3D are for.
And their 3D team is still big enough to model all of the Pokemon + animations + fine-tuning for excessive polygon counts to prevent uncouth slowdown?

Not saying it can't happen, but I'm skeptical nonetheless. GF and their associates aren't known for massive leaps in visual quality, unless we're going to count G/S to R/S, and even the latter didn't look that much better.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I will echo what others have said, grey for 3ds please. I guess I will hold up on picking up b/w.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I just played through Emerald recently and Gen Threemakes would be greatly appreciated. The level up moves on your average Hoenndex pokemon were terrible back then and awesome now, and the new leveling system will handle the problem of grinding for the E4.

Also if Secret Bases make it back and still give EVs and Exp then I can finally relive my dream of making the ultimate Pokeraising machine.

Wiseblade

And their 3D team is still big enough to model all of the Pokemon + animations + fine-tuning for excessive polygon counts to prevent uncouth slowdown?

Not saying it can't happen, but I'm skeptical nonetheless. GF and their associates aren't known for massive leaps in visual quality, unless we're going to count G/S to R/S, and even the latter didn't look that much better.

They've already made the models and given then as much animation as the ones in Pokémon battle Revolution. Assuming the in battle backgrounds will be sparse at best (Lets not fool ourselves, now) There should be no problem using them as they are now or giving them the changes they may need to be suitable for a mainline title.

J@hranimo

Banned
Ok this has to be Pokemon Gray/Grey. There are 2 side games that are announced and coming out and there hasn't been any talk for the 3rd game. It's been a year and a half since the japanese release of Black/White. It only seems right.

Also I don't want it to be for 3DS exclusively. It would be cool, but I think it would be more suitable for Gen 6 games and the eventual Ruby/Sapphire remakes.

Gravijah

The point would be to sell the game to the massive DS audience instead of limiting it to the relatively small 3DS install base.

they've got to bite the bullet at somepoint. besides, games like mario kart, monster hunter and 3dland are doing quite fine on the 3ds.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
they've got to bite the bullet at somepoint. besides, games like mario kart, monster hunter and 3dland are doing quite fine on the 3ds.

Well put.

If this was a September/October 2011 release it could have been on the DS, but now?

Pokémon games are one of the few bonafide system sellers. People will buy the 3DS for this one game. It's a no brainer at this point.

seady

Pokemon Grey for the 3DS. Or for the DS but enhanced when play on 3DS.

The isometric view is perfect for the 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom