• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Game to be announced next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conor 419

Banned
You know what'd be fuckin' awesome for Grey?

Servers.

You load the game and it auto connects you to a server full of other players. Everyone's walking around doing their thing, you can chat, battle and trade with other players, and that's it.

That is in my opinion, all Pokémon needs to add a whole lease of life to the series.

what would be the point? if they're making it for the 3ds, part of the reason is moving the fanbase over from the ds.

Oh I definetly think just releasing it on 3DS would be smarter. However, I've just been thinking of Gamefreak's comments about wanting to continue support for the DS. That and it would be pretty quick and cheap to create Grey on 3DS when considering that everything is already built for it. I could just see them doing a dual release with the superior version being 3DS which takes advantage of streetpass, 3D and better graphics. I think it will be either 3DS only or a dual release.

Servers.

You load the game and it auto connects you to a server full of other players. Everyone's walking around doing their thing, you can chat, battle and trade with other players, and that's it.

That is in my opinion, all Pokémon needs to add a whole lease of life to the series.

That would be cool, but never expect Nintendo to do something cool with the internet. You will be disappointed.

Bullza2o

Yeah, it kinda sucks thinking about how even if Gray is announced next week I probably won't be able to play it for another year.

septemberish release + 6~ months localization

let us cry together
:'(. But honestly, this is fine. We'll enjoy the Wii U and other 3DS games (KH3D, Mario,AC,),
and Vita games
in the fall. Then time will fly and it's finally March/April, and we'll then enjoy Pokemon 3D.

Gravijah

Gen 6/Gen 3 remakes on 3DS please.

No more bizarre Samurai crossovers, no more hack n' slashes.

5 million 3DS's sold? More like fifty five.

pokemon spinoffs are entirely unrelated to mainline games, so their existence really doesn't have any effect on the mainlines games.

Suairyu

Banned

Servers.

But that wouldn't be a feature suitable for a 3rd version of an existing gen. And this I think is the biggest obstacle to it being 3DS exclusive as well - it has to feel integrated to the Black and White. It can't be too wildly different in terms of technology. I have no idea if DS-to-3DS game connectivity is possible (because the game certainly won't be 3DS if it isn't), but by saying "you need a 3DS for this one" you're making it sound like something brand new. And if it isn't going to be that wildly different either (and it can't be), it's not exactly a reason to buy a new system either.

What's that mean?
Please don't tell me what that means if it means something stupid like the Ice Dragon guy hasn't been acknowledged to exist.
Quite a few more than that.

Servers.

I once wanted this but then I remembered that the pokemon community at large is pretty terrible. I'd be down if we could make our own gaf server and load it up with people who won't be calling me f-word,n-word or using nothing but legendaries and quitting at any hint of them losing a battle or worse trying to get me to battle by smogon rules.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just so there's no confusion, Junichi Masuda is the director of Pokemon. Previously he had done the music for the early games, and even still does some music on the latest games. Whenever he shows up on Pokemon Smash, it's almost always related to a new game announcement.

Suairyu

Banned
Andrex what beverage are you going to drink in celebration when you and I turn out to be correct?

What beverage are you going to drown your sorrows in if we're wrong?

Wichu

What's that mean?
Please don't tell me what that means if it means something stupid like the Ice Dragon guy hasn't been acknowledged to exist.

They make an anime movie each year; each one usually has an unannounced 'new' Pokémon. With the upcoming Kyurem/Keldeo movie coming out later this year, and at least two more before the end of the generation, they have to stock up :p

Kyurem is acknowledged, by the way; it just doesn't play a significant role in the game yet. Keldeo, on the other hand, didn't exist until about a week ago.

EDIT: Count me in on the 3DS side. I need something to play, and the 3DS will have been out nearly two years when Grey comes.

Just so there's no confusion, Junichi Masuda is the director of Pokemon. Previously he had done the music for the early games, and even still does some music on the latest games. Whenever he shows up on Pokemon Smash, it's almost always related to a new game announcement.

"His work on the first games included writing the program to play audio in the games, music, and sound effects.[13] He directed and composed the music for Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, and produced Pokémon Platinum.[9] He also produced Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver."

He speaks the truth! And hey, looks like he last produced a remake.

;D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What's that mean?

Kyurem is catchable in Black and White. What that poster made a reference to are these three:

qggMj.png
eg3vR.png
iZ4xJ.png

The first of these finally officially made its debut last week, when it was revealed to be in the upcoming 15th movie. It will probably be distributed when that movie releases in Japan.

However I don't agree with his basic premise that they all have to be revealed before Gray. Sinnoh's hidden legends like Arceus weren't before Platinum was released, iirc.

"His work on the first games included writing the program to play audio in the games, music, and sound effects.[13] He directed and composed the music for Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, and produced Pokémon Platinum.[9] He also produced Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver."

He speaks the truth! And hey, looks like he last produced a remake.

;D

That's interesting. I have a theory that there are two teams in Game Freak, the main team and the remake team. Maybe he's actually working on the remakes right now while Gray is being finished up?

Conor 419

Banned
I once wanted this but then I remembered that the pokemon community at large is pretty terrible. I'd be down if we could make our own gaf server and load it up with people who won't be calling me f-word,n-word or using nothing but legendaries and quitting at any hint of them losing a battle or worse trying to get me to battle by smogon rules.

Hey, Nintendo said they wanted to push 'communities' outside of Mario Kart...right?

Wiseblade

Kyurem is catchable in Black and White. What that poster made a reference to are these three:

qggMj.png
eg3vR.png
iZ4xJ.png

The first of these finally officially made its debut last week, when it was revealed to be in the upcoming 15th movie. It will probably be distributed when that movie releases in Japan.

However I don't agree with his basic premise that they all have to be revealed before Gray. Sinnoh's hidden legends like Arceus weren't before Platinum was released, iirc.

That's interesting. I have a theory that there are two teams in Game Freak, the main team and the remake team. Maybe he's actually working on the remakes right now while Gray is being finished up?

But you quote also mentions Masuda was credited as the producer for Platinum as well. You're likely right, but you're not going find support for the theory by looking at the credits for one of the heads of the company.

EDIT: What do we do in the SUPER CRAZY scenario it comes out for both consoles?

Suairyu

Banned
i wonder if genesects bw event will be skipped, sort of like arceus.
Have hackers found a flute-like event coded into Black/White that will be totally bitching if Nintendo actually go through with it but probably won't because that's what they're like?

Suairyu

Banned
See, I'd be down for Ruby and Sapphire remakes to be the first gen 6 entries on 3DS. It'd be a really awesome preview of what the 'true' gen 6 games will be like.

edit - ouych, the speed this thread moves I expected this to not be a double post. Sorry!

It feels like I've read this headline for about five times in the past couple of months already, lol.
Well, it's kind of been true each time. Just not in the way we wanted.

Wichu

See, I'd be down for Ruby and Sapphire remakes to be the first gen 6 entries on 3DS. It'd be a really awesome preview of what the 'true' gen 6 games will be like.

I can actually see this, with the actual 6th gen Pokémon being free DLC upon the release of gen 6's own games.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
C'mon Gamefreak! Shock the world with Gen VI!

How far along is the anime? Is it possible they'd get through to the end of Unova this year?

Wichu

C'mon Gamefreak! Shock the world with Gen VI!

How far along is the anime? Is it possible they'd get through to the end of Unova this year?

They still have 3 years' worth of movies to go through. No way we're even hearing about gen 6 before 2014.

Wiseblade

edit - ouych, the speed this thread moves I expected this to not be a double post. Sorry!

Starting a generation with remakes? That seems insane to me. A new wave of Pokemon is what serves most of all as the signal that GF have started a new set of games that will only have limited compatibility with previous titles. Staqrting with remakes just clouds the message. That is, unless Nintendo is prepared to actually prepared to draw back the curtain and talk about generations in no uncertain terms...

Suairyu

Banned
PokéGAF civil war.

Starting a generation with remakes? That seems insane to me. A new wave of Pokemon is what serves most of all as the signal that GF have started a new set of games that will only have limited compatibility with previous titles. Staqrting with remakes just clouds the message. That is, unless Nintendo is prepared to actually prepared to draw back the curtain and talk about generations in no uncertain terms...
Well, they could lock in the new Pokémon designs beforehand and have them in the remake. I don't know. It might not be a good idea, but from a marketing perspective "wow, all these new features and this is only a remake. The 'real' gen 6 games are going to be fucking CRAZY good" has a certain appeal, no?

I don't know, remake or new, a brand new Pokemon game will sell millions either way. Also, Ruby and Sapphire were released in 2003. That's a lot of 9 year olds that love Diamond and Pearl, Black and White, but have no idea how to get the 100 odd 'mons from Hoenn.

Also, what's worse, starting a generation with a remake, or starting a generation with this?

dash_maindetail.jpg

TheOGB

Banned
Leery after the last 3 announcements

Probably Gray but I almost don't care anymore :/

Gray for 3DS, Grey for DS

Suairyu

Banned
Also, what's worse, starting a generation with a remake, or starting a generation with this?

dash_maindetail.jpg
Spinoffs =/= generations. In the Pokémon context, generations specifically refer to the base technology/engine powering the mainline Pokémon games. So:

Gen I (gameboy) - Red/Blue/Yellow
Gen II (gameboy, gameboy color enhancements)- Gold/Silver/Crystal
Gen III (gameboy advance) - Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and FireRed/LeafGreen
Gen IV (DS) - Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and HearGold/SuperiorSilver
Gen V (DS, DSi enhancements) - Black/White/Grey :)P)
Gen VI (3DS) - I dunno

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I was just thinking about Game Freak for the past week or so. Whatever they make, I hope Masuda's music stays just as awesome as it currently is. Also, I hope they keep the sort of "retro" style graphics Pokémon games have.

I've made peace with the fact that the next main games will likely abandon the gorgeous underrated pixel art, partly to make things seem fresh and also take better advantage of the 3D screen.

In that case I agree, they could easily transition the art style to 3D if they're careful. The entire overworlds of Gen 4 and 5 are 3D but they fit in perfectly with the old games too.

I just realized, with the circle pad being the primary way to navigate, and the entire game probably being in 3D, it may be possible to control the character in 360 degrees. How cool would that be? The tile system would need to be reworked but that wouldn't be that big a deal.

botty

Banned

qggMj.png
eg3vR.png
iZ4xJ.png

Platinum and Arceus are both gen4. I was referring to Gen6 being released prior to the reveal of all Gen 5 pokemon.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
They still have 3 years' worth of movies to go through. No way we're even hearing about gen 6 before 2014.

Boo! I don't care! Starting off on a new system with remakes or a dinky third version is not the way to go! GBC started with Crystal an got nothing else. 3DS would be dooooooomed!

Exactly! Starting off with rehashes is no good!

Emitan

I don't see what's wrong with starting with remakes. 3DS might be the first time GameFreak switches to a fully polygonal game (Booo!), so remaking an existing game would be easier due to the game already existing.

Wiseblade

I don't see what's wrong with starting with remakes. 3DS might be the first time GameFreak switches to a fully polygonal game (Booo!), so remaking an existing game would be easier due to the game already existing.

Technically Grey would be a remake of an already existing game...

Rarutos

I really don't think that they're going to use 3D models in Grey, especially after working on all of those animation frames for all 649 Pokémon + Alternate Forms + Shiny sprites. Sprites take a lot of time to make I would assume, and if it's going to be a third version of B/W, they will most likely reuse them.

Also, chances are they'll also make new sprites for some others as well, like they did with the previous third versions.

Wichu

I really don't think that they're going to use 3D models in Grey, especially after working on all of those animation frames for all 649 Pokémon + Alternate Forms + Shiny sprites. Sprites take a lot of time to make I would assume, and if it's going to be a third version of B/W, they will most likely reuse them.

Or they could reuse the animated 3D models from Pokédex 3D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom