• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Go Beta Gameplay

Dynasty

Looks really good, much better than I expected tbh. Hopefully there is a Squirtle or a Charmander close to me. Need to know more about the Microtransaction model.

Looks exactly as I expected it would. Typical AR mini game with GPS functionality. Hopefully it has good social hooks and people get on board. Otherwise its just another Invizimals.

aett

I'm glad you can turn the camera off - it's so shaky and the AR aspect would lose its appeal pretty quickly, I think.

It's probably a good thing that I'm as busy as I am between work/kids/etc. - otherwise I could see myself going out of my way to locations to get items and Pokemon.

Really put off by the trainers and the UI; doesn't feel like Pokémon at all in that aspect. But otherwise it's looking decent. The Pokémon models look great here too.

ash_ag

Trainers' art direction is quite off, which is weird considering other mobile apps like Comaster didn't shy away from adapting Sugimori's style. The UI is splendid though, and the game looks very pleasant aesthetically. Mechanics are also very interesting from the information that's been floating around for the last couple weeks.

It's somewhat understandable considering TPC's and Niantic's secrecy, but I'm inclined to say many people were quick to jump the gun with GO. It's definitely not perfect yet, but it's a very, very presentable outing.

PSqueak

Banned
Looking good so far, specially for a Beta!

I just hope battling wild pokemon is added later for the full release.

I guess right now you can capture them like that because there are no starters (guy starts with no pokemon i think?), but maybe some low level ones are free to capture without battle and many other pokemon you have to weaken them? That would be the best.

God Im so ready to get into this. Ive been tempted to get back into Ingress in anticipation, but I think itd be best to start all in with this when it releases. Soon I hope.

Sou Da

Why does every thread about GO have someone saying this? They need to hold things back, if it's successful i'm sure every freaking Pokemon will show up eventually.

Then why they didn't just use a mix of 151 Pokemon across all 6 gens?

Chorazin

Then why they didn't just use a mix of 151 Pokemon across all 6 gens?

Because then you get "OH YOU PUT POKEYMANZ X Y AND Z BUT NOT A B AND C THIS IS THE WORST GAME EVER ONE STAR"

It's a similar problem, but at least they don't have to explain individual selection choices.

wwm0nkey

Yeah, but he wasn't actually battling, right? The battles are automated. It makes me wonder why even bother with the game?
They are not automated, you have to dodge and attack in real time. You can only have 2 moves though but moves.

Looks like you can set it to auto though going by this video

Sou Da

The most logical thing is to add Pokemon gen by gen. Doing a random assortment of Pokemon would require more effort in deciding when what gets released.

Effort isn't Pokemon's strong suit these days but I was thinking more about the lack of fitting Pokemon for certain biomes in Gen 1.

Figured that would be concern but I suppose Gen 2 covers most everything.

Nightbird

Looks great, can't wait!

Because then you get "OH YOU PUT POKEYMANZ X Y AND Z BUT NOT A B AND C THIS IS THE WORST GAME EVER ONE STAR"

It's a similar problem, but at least they don't have to explain individual selection choices.

As if this isn't going to happen anyway...

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Man, that "realistic" trainer is a "DO NOT WANT" situation if I've ever seen it.

And as expected, Augmented Reality Pokemon looks really, really silly.

Atheerios

They are not automated, you have to dodge and attack in real time. You can only have 2 moves though but moves.

Looks like you can set it to auto though going by this video

It was not an auto mode. To attack you just press the opposing Pokémon. To do a charged attack you keep pressing. Those are the '2 attacks' every Pokémon has.

Literally nothing about the art direction and UI, aside from the actual Pokeballs and Pokemon, says Pokemon to me.

It feels almost like Niantic was making their own Pokemon knockoff, then got the rights to the actual IP fairly late in development.

Top Bottom