• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Merchandise Line Announced for Japan: "Look Upon The Stars"

Neoxon

So this basically confirms the rumor that Pokemon Switch is happening right.

Please be true.
I wouldn't say that this is confirmation, but rather a pretty good sign in favor of Pokémon Stars existing. We won't know for sure until it gets revealed (if it's even real in the first place), likely before the end of May.

That said, I do hope that Eurogamer's right. Announcing Stars soon after the positive buzz surrounding Mario Kart 8 Deluxe would be a great way to keep the hype train for the Switch going before we get to E3.

Game Freak has multiple teams, which means that at least one of them is probably deep in Switch development at this point (unless they go maximum troll and also release DP remakes on the 3DS).

They do, but I always have the lingering feeling that GF could be backwards and focus on a dying system instead of moving onto greater things. Additionally, If the pattern continues on, then I doubt we'll see a remake for the 3DS. Each system dating back to the GBA had just one remake, and took advantage of the newer hardware. GameFreak would be better served leaving DPPt for the Switch.

18-Volt

Cant wait for the meltdowns when its announced as a 3ds exclusive.
or not announced at all

And it'll turn out to be a Mystery Dungeon game, not a mainline entry. That actually makes sense, the year after the new gen has to be year of new Mystery Dungeon game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What if this is all an elaborate coincidence and people are just matching dots to things that weren't really there?

daffy

Banned
Everyone agrees that's a deliberately conservative estimate. They'll look good when they shatter it.

That was done as a conservative estimate.
ugDTBZo.png

^^ Me trying to figure out how everyone on gaf agreeing makes something more likely to be true.

I swear SwitchGAF have been delusional about Nintendo's 2017 output since November and nothing has shown us any of the uncertified, fantasyland level rumours you guys believe in can be trusted. yet somehow you keep throwing halftruths back out to the community at large during discussions.

...Is it wrong that when I read "they know what they are doing" the first thing I noticed was THE bag in the Cosmog/Pikachu pic and thought you meant that they were referencing the Nebby memes (before being like "Oh wait... Pokemon Stars... that's right")? ...The Internet has ruined me... >.>

Cerium

^^ Me trying to figure out how everyone on gaf agreeing makes something more likely to be true.

I swear SwitchGAF have been delusional about Nintendo's 2017 output since November and nothing has shown us any of the uncertified, fantasyland level rumours you guys believe in can be trusted. yet somehow you keep throwing halftruths back out to the community at large during discussions.

Actually the agreement is from the Wall Street Journal and other financial analysts, but congratulations on your assumptions.

I wouldn't say that this is confirmation, but rather a pretty good sign in favor of Pokémon Stars existing. We won't know for sure until it gets revealed (if it's even real in the first place), likely before the end of May.

That said, I do hope that Eurogamer's right. Announcing Stars soon after the positive buzz surrounding Mario Kart 8 Deluxe would be a great way to keep the hype train for the Switch going before we get to E3.

Man, if I can play a mainline third version pokemon game on switch, the nukes can go kaboom because supposedly XB2 or whatever is coming this year too.

I mean can you imagine? A new xenoblade, a newish pokemon game on a new nintendo platform, also makes sense since when you sign up you have online access until fall 2017. What better way to get people to pay for the online service than to have a bunch of games that currently use it and big games that will need it in the summer and fall as well as beyond this year.

I don't really want the bombs to drop. :(

Menitta

The more I think about Pokemon on the Switch, the more I want it. I dropped Pokemon Sun so hopefully I'll be able to play the better version on my TV.

Neoxon

There's no way this is going to be Switch exclusive.

I fully expect New 3ds / Switch situation like FE warriors.
Normally I'd agree with you (hell, I believed this at one point), but Eurogamer seemed pretty damn sure that Stars was Switch-only. Plus having a 3DS version would kinda give people a way out of the Switch's paid online. I'm not saying that a cross-gen release is unlikely, but rather that we shouldn't count out the possibility of it being Switch-only just yet.

Pokemon Stars for the new 2DS XL with a bundle. And maybe a new Pokemon Stadium for the Switch (if Switch even gets anything).
The fact that the mainline Pokémon games have gone 3D kinda negates the need for a new Stadium game.

Mory Dunz

You know, I feel like it will be 3DS exclusive....
with a Switch version next year or something

that's my personal prediction

Regiruler

Graphics too. Would be a big jump without the gamepad
The gamepad doesn't do anything in that game, how on earth would cutting it improve performance.

It needs to learn from the Zelda DLC and release the characters for the version people paid to support.

To be fair, it's not just Eurogamer saying that Stars is Switch-bound. MCV also noted that a Game Freak-made Pokémon game would be coming to the Switch this year, though they weren't as detailed on what that game was as Eurogamer.

I've pointed this out in multiple topics that MCV said Pokémon, Zelda and Mario were coming this year. Their article was written months before Eurogamer "Pokémon Stars coming to Switch" article.

This is why I fully believe in Pokémon Stars coming to Switch this year. If I'm going to say I believe Eurogamers rumors and they've hit all the Switch rumors then I have to believe Stars is coming exclusively to Switch.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I've pointed this out in multiple topics that MCV said Pokémon, Zelda and Mario were coming this year. Their article was written months before Eurogamer "Pokémon Stars coming to Switch" article.

This is why I fully believe in Pokémon Stars coming to Switch this year. If I'm going to say I believe Eurogamers rumors and they've hit all the Switch rumors then I have to believe Stars is coming exclusively to Switch.

mario, zelda and pokemon, the goddamn trifecta year one, no wonder the switch is selling out goddamn, you cant get bigger than this in gaming.

With the new 2ds hardware I could very easily see Pokemon stars being a 3ds title. Pokemon on switch already seems pretty unlikely...

Neoxon

Surprise!
I expect it's announcement by the time E3 begins.
You mean the actual show-floor event or before the Nintendo Digital Event? Either way, The Pokémon Company typically reveals their mainline Pokémon games ahead of E3 (likely to better dominate the headlines).

I can see a trailer for Stars (if it's real) being on the Digital Event, but I'm not expecting the game to be revealed during it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
With the new 2ds hardware I could very easily see Pokemon stars being a 3ds title.

The 2DS XL is meant as a last gasp for the 3DS. It's not meant as a supplement for a new Pokemon game.

Pokemon on switch already seems pretty unlikely...

It's the "third version" of an already existing Pokemon game. It will be a port with upgraded graphics in HD, one year after the original versions released.

And Eurogamer has a good track record with Nintendo rumors.

Neoxon

Call me stupid but im so confused.
Wouldn't releasing Mario Kart, Mario, Splatoon, Pokémon, Zelda etc all in one year be too much. What will happen for the next 3 years? I'm freaking out that Nintendo are rushing things.
We'd still have Animal Crossing & Fire Emblem for next year, on top of whatever older IPs they want to revive or new IPs they may want to bring out.

sinonobu

Banned
Wouldn't releasing Mario Kart, Mario, Splatoon, Pokémon, Zelda etc all in one year be too much. What will happen for the next 3 years? I'm freaking out that Nintendo are rushing things.

Animal Crossing, Mario Maker, 2d mario, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Warioware, Starfox, Pikmin, New IPs, etc.

And stars is rumored to be port of Sun and Moon.
I expect eight gen to come out around 2018~19.

Neoxon

Animal Crossing, Mario Maker, 2d Mario, Fire Emblem, Metroid, WarioWare, Star Fox, Pikmin, New IPs, etc.
Exactly, one of which is already confirmed for next year (Fire Emblem). Though I'd probably add 2D Zelda to the list (see A Link Between Worlds).

The 2DS XL is meant as a last gasp for the 3DS. It's not meant as a supplement for a new Pokemon game.

It's the "third version" of an already existing Pokemon game. It will be a port with upgraded graphics in HD, one year after the original versions released.

This, the n2DS XL (at least as of now) seems more like the 3DS's Game Boy Micro than anything else (a revision late in its life). And while yes, one could argue about EG's Virtual Console rumors, they never said that any of the VC stuff would be at launch. Plus Nintendo's been pretty quiet on the VC front as of recently.

mario, zelda and pokemon, the goddamn trifecta year one, no wonder the switch is selling out goddamn, you cant get bigger than this in gaming.

About as big as you can get from first party.

And Mario Kart. And Splatoon.

And Kamiko. 🙃

Next year can be
Retros game
Fire Emblem
New Pokemon
Super Mario Maker
Animal Crossing
New IPs
Smash Bros
2D Zelda
Luigis Mansion 3
Paper Mario The Return To RPG
Metroid
Pikmin

Nintendo has tons of IPs

There are so many IPs they don't use like Mother or F-Zero or Star Tropics.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Pokemon Stars is a port. The official follow-up to Moon and Sun will release on Switch and it won't be this year.

It's also very likely that MK9/Smash Kart comes out eventually, seeing as MK8 is just a port. And Wii got two Galaxy games so there's no reason to think that there can't be two Mario games.

They also have other franchises. Pikmin 4 will happen and that's on Switch. Smash Bros. will be on the Switch at some point. Retro is working on a game. There will eventually be a Kirby game for Switch. The next Animal Crossing and Paper Mario will be on Switch. Likely a new Luigi's Mansion at some point. And so on.

I could easily see Splatoon 3 and Arms 2 as well.

And Mario Kart. And Splatoon.

If 2017 is Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Pokemon, and finishing off in the holiday season with mainline Mario, they'll have no issues with sales momentum. On the other hand, it means 2018 might be a difficult year to fill with all their heavy hitters landing this year. Even Xenoblade is announced for 2017 and it seems they're still confident of that date.

Maybe they announce Metroid Prime Whatever at E3 for 2018, but I'm not sure beyond that. Smash Port?

They would still have to upres everything to 720/1080 which would be a ton of work with all of the different animations and models. Gamefreak has only made one game at 1080, and it is a 2d platformer

If 2017 is Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Pokemon, and finishing off in the holiday season with mainline Mario, they'll have no issues with sales momentum. On the other hand, it means 2018 might be a difficult year to fill with all their heavy hitters landing this year. Even Xenoblade is announced for 2017 and it seems they're still confident of that date.

Maybe they announce Metroid Prime Whatever at E3 for 2018, but I'm not sure beyond that. Smash Port?

I would say Smash Bros. is probably on the docket for 2018 too. That's pretty big IMHO.

Neoxon

I would say Smash Bros. is probably on the docket for 2018 too. That's pretty big IMHO.
There's still a chance that we may get Smash this year (albeit an enhanced port). An actual Smash 5 is probably several years out unless they build off of Smash 4 as a base.

sinonobu

Banned

Animal Crossing?

I also think they will make another 2d mario.

Donkey Kong, Paper Mario, Pikmin, Kirby, Star Fox, Bayonetta 3(lol)

Top Bottom