• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Snap Review Thread

Jooxed

Gold Member
00bd7efe46ab2b3ff0774172a5d4f21a5b2f467b3e324557ce1e9a9ae12c1d3b.jpg

It's been 22 years since the original Pokémon Snap and with each passing console generation fans had never given up hope for a possible sequel. Why is that? It wasn't a long game, it didn't have that many levels, only had a small pool of Pokémon and the base gameplay was simply about taking pictures. On paper, Pokémon Snap sounds basic and it seems there's an entire generation who don't get the appeal. To put it simply, Snap presents Pokémon in their purest form; it lets Pokémon be Pokémon without any strings of battling attached — something no other entry even attempts.

The Nintendo 64's Pokemon Snap has held a special place in my heart for over 20 years, partially because there's nothing else quite like it in the Pokemon franchise. Pokemon Snap has nothing to do with catching or battling with Pokemon, and humans aren't at the heart of its story. Instead, Snap has always been about the joy of discovery and uncovering the secrets of the Pokemon world without interfering with it. Its long-lasting charm has stemmed in part from emulating one of the greatest joys of photography: witnessing and capturing moments it felt like you weren't supposed to see, like a group of Charmander performing a synchronized dance inside a volcano. 20 years later, that same charm and mystique is present in New Pokemon Snap on Nintendo Switch. With even more courses and Pokemon to discover, New Pokemon Snap is a brand-new adventure that's absolutely delightful to embark on, incorporating newer generations of Pokemon and stunning environments that feel truly alive.

It's a good thing no one had a camera on me during my first playthrough of New Pokémon Snap, because I probably looked and sounded like a total dingus. Without fail, each time I played a new course a Pokémon would appear out of nowhere, or do something cute, or react to something I did in a surprising way, and I (this is not an exaggeration) would sit up on the couch, point at the screen, and go "Aaah!" in delight.

New Pokémon Snap feels antiquated by today’s standards. Your enjoyment of the game will ultimately come down to whether you enjoy taking hundreds of pictures of virtual creatures, as you slowly chug along predetermined paths multiple times in the hopes of spotting something new. It’ll probably pass muster with Pokémon-loving kids, who will delight in seeing Pikachu scamper across the screen for perhaps the very first time. But for anyone aged 10 or above, this eclectic safari park isn’t worth the price of admission.

New Pokemon Snap is a faithful sequel to the Nintendo 64 classic that doesn’t change the formula, but significantly beefs up the content. It isn’t a main series Pokemon game, and isn’t nearly as long as one, but that's not the point. New Pokemon Snap takes you on safaris to photograph Pokemon in their natural habitats, and watch all the things they can do; the game wildly succeeds at that mission. New Pokemon Snap's gameplay is an acquired taste, and it can be repetitive at times, but it’s still a fun, engaging romp in the world of Pokemon

More than two decades removed from Pokémon Snap’s debut on Nintendo 64, this unique gaming experience is finally back. New Pokémon Snap effectively carries on the spirit of the original game, tasking you to get the best possible photographs of Pokémon as you travel through environments on a rail line. And while it delivers all the excitement of nabbing the perfect snapshot, like any photography adventure, it's not without a few undeveloped negatives

Last edited:

drganon

I never owned the original back in the day, but loved playing it at the n64 kiosk at target. Will have to look into getting this new one.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I just want to recreate moment like throwing apples to create magneton or cracking open eggs tot find legendary birds. Shit was epic.

Bragr

Banned
I'm slightly impressed, I expected around 70-ish, an 80 on Metacritic is great. If it manages to sell 3-4 million, it's gonna be a big success.

Not sure if I'm gonna buy it though, at 30 bucks I would, but not at this price, I rather get Monster Hunter Rise or wait for Skyward Sword.

bender

What time is it?
tenor.gif

I'm not really a Pokemon fan but I like photography games and rail shooters. The leveling up mechanic sounds interesting so I think I'm in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom