• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon information to be revealed August 6 (JST)?

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Yes but I'm seeing people saying the game will flop and is no different just based on this. It's ridiculous
It's not even an accurate comparison, honestly. Forms wasn't really something they pushed heavily with marketing until Gen 6 and megas. HG/SS had that clip of New Bark Town shown not too long after its reveal and the follow feature that was showcased in that clip was enough to spark a ton of hype.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
The design is horrendously meh and uninspired, but it's still a brand new Pokemon half way through a generation which is awesome and could potentially lead to some big things. I'm not expecting any more new ones other than a "true form" Mimikyu, or one that has a different disguise, but new Alolan forms have a very high chance of appearing, and that's something great to take away from this.

Edit: Oh, hey, whaddya know. Threads devolved into gen wars. Shocker.

The design is horrendously meh and uninspired, but it's still a brand new Pokemon half way through a generation which is awesome and could potentially lead to some big things. I'm not expecting any more new ones other than a "true form" Mimikyu, or one that has a different disguise, but new Alolan forms have a very high chance of appearing, and that's something great to take away from this.

Edit: Oh, hey, whaddya know. Threads devolved into gen wars. Shocker.

It's not a new Pokemon, it's just a form.

If they were just going to show off an alternate form couldn't they have just shown off a new Alolan form? Unless we aren't getting any new ones...

Toxi

Banned
Yes but I'm seeing people saying the game will flop and is no different just based on this. It's ridiculous
Nobody in this thread said the game will flop. We're just pointing out how Gamefreak has failed to show anything exciting about USUM so far.

Giga Man

"C'mon Mimikyu! No more hiding, be true to yourself! <3"

*Mimikyu removes Pikachu cosplay*

giphy.gif

Mimikyu: :(

And then the child dies. :(

Ydelnae

Sorry if this is answered, but do we now definitely know whether these games are sequels or improved re-releases?

We don't know yet. Officially they are set in an alternate dimension from the original games. Knowing the plot from S/M this could also involve some sequel shenanigans, but as for today, they are just Emerald/Platinum split into two.

Garjon

Sorry if this is answered, but do we now definitely know whether these games are sequels or improved re-releases?

Personally I'm expecting them to be direct sequels, similar to Black/White 2.

On another note, there was a 'leak' that got a lot of things spot on but two things wrong: they said there would be a new dolphin and snowman pokemon, so I'm wondering if they do exist and have been pushed to the upcoming games? I know this'd be the first time actual new Pokemon were introduced halfway through a gen (officially at least!) but the leak got everything else right. The snowman pokemon was leaked by two separate sources too.

On another note, there was a 'leak' that got a lot of things spot on but two things wrong: they said there would be a new dolphin and snowman pokemon, so I'm wondering if they do exist and have been pushed to the upcoming games? I know this'd be the first time actual new Pokemon were introduced halfway through a gen (officially at least!) but the leak got everything else right. The snowman pokemon was leaked by two separate sources too.

Those ended up being Tapu Fini and Crabrawler's evo.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Speaking of, it's been close to a year since they came out. Any chance of a RTTP: Gen VII or are you holding out to see if Ultra brings us more besides new forms?

Yeah, I think I'm gonna wait for an Ultra playthrough first---haven't played S/M for months so they're not fresh in my mind really.

Wouldn't we know by now if they were sequels? More than likely they're 3rd version revisions split into two games.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't we know by now if they were sequels? More than likely they're 3rd version revisions split into two games.
Yeah, chances are really slim that these are full blown sequels. The sequel aspect of B2/W2 was pushed hard in the marketing, and even the names reflected it. If this was a similar deal, I find it hard to believe that they'd be this coy about it.

I will be very surprised if it sells more than 10 million like the other 3DS games, so far it looks like Sun and Moon + and not something like Black and White 2 where it was a whole new story.

Its not going to flop tho.

Aters

Really don't want to read through everything. Just want a quick answer. Is it an enhanced edition like Pokemon Yellow, or a sequel like Black 2/White 2.

Maxinas

Really don't want to read through everything. Just want a quick answer. Is it an enhanced edition like Pokemon Yellow, or a sequel like Black 2/White 2.

Considering they are releasing two version, i have a feeling it will be closer to BW/W2 as a sequel. The protags aren't the same from Sun/Moon either, while Dawn/(and whatever the guy was called) returned in Platinum.

You can expect new pokemon forms, new areas to explore, different trails (perhaps gyms are now a thing in Alola?), and obviously a new story. Team Skull is kill, and the Aether Foundation was never a real villain organization, so we'll see new antagonists as well.

I expect new Info to be released rather soon, late August i bet.

Edit: I'll be honest, i'm actually glad they aren't doing a blowout of information like they did with Sun/Moon last year. As i mentioned in a different post, all the reveals leading up to the release of Sun/Moon made my hype go through the roof, and i ended up disappointing myself because of it. I only hope that Gamefreak actually takes some fan feedback into consideration, and puts a real effort into these new games. They usually have in the past, but ever since X/Y, it's been hard to have confidence in Gamefreak in recent years.
Still mad about the Battle Frontier bullshit.

Giga Man

It was stated to be an alternate story taking place in the same world, so it's not a sequel like B2W2, but it tells a different story in the same world like B2W2. There will also be Pokemon that didn't appear in Sun/Moon, which could mean a number of things.

Also, the protagonists don't really look different. They just wear different clothes.

JoeM86

I will be very surprised if it sells more than 10 million like the other 3DS games, so far it looks like Sun and Moon + and not something like Black and White 2 where it was a whole new story.

Its not going to flop tho.

Well no. I don't expect it to do that either. Look at historical data

Red, Green & Blue: 31 million
Yellow: 14 million

Gold & Silver: 23.1 million
Crystal: 6.4 million

Ruby & Sapphire: 16.2 million
Emerald: 7 million

Diamond & Pearl: 17.67 million
Platinum: 7.69 million

Black & White: 15.64 million
Black 2 & White 2: 7.97 million

There's a clear trend/pattern. Sequels/enhanced versions never do as well as the initial ones. Typically half the sales at best so we'll be seeing 6 to 8 million sales for USUM

most underwhelming pokemon news ever

Well that's wrong :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00DyEDmQ83s

Forkball

Hmm, I never realized a lot of my Pokemon are actually related to each other thanks to Dittos. Meet Venusaur and his brother, Garchomp.

SoulUnison

Banned
How about you wait for the next piece of info before you make a snarky response? I'm sure you can think of a snarkier one by the time that arrives.

Didn't I already wait months for this piece of info?
I think if there was significantly more to show with only 3 months to release it would've at least been teased here.

At this point, though, the only thing that'd get me to return is putting the PSS system back into place.
Moving all multiplayer functions to Join Avenue and making it so you had to stop whatever you were doing to sit around and wait for interaction is what killed Sun for me.
The first generation of Pokemon since Red in 1998 that I didn't even bother to finish the storyline for.

Aters

It was stated to be an alternate story taking place in the same world, so it's not a sequel like B2W2, but it tells a different story in the same world like B2W2. There will also be Pokemon that didn't appear in Sun/Moon, which could mean a number of things.

Also, the protagonists don't really look different. They just wear different clothes.

Think I will just start playing Sun and call it a day. Thanks.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Didn't I already wait months for this piece of info?
I think if there was significantly more to show with only 3 months to release it would've at least been teased here.

At this point, though, the only thing that'd get me to return is putting the PSS system back into place.
Moving all multiplayer functions to Join Avenue and making it so you had to stop whatever you were doing to sit around and wait for interaction is what killed Sun for me.
The first generation of Pokemon since Red in 1998 that I didn't even bother to finish the storyline for.

Dude, is this your first "middle gen" Pokemon? As much as I am disappointed by the reveal, this shit is pretty much expected and they've even had "it's fucking nothing" last time.

yuoke

Banned
Hi mom hahahahahahhaah

---

Everyone who says bad things about XY should be ashamed. One of my favorite pokemon experiences ever.
I'll say bad things. You can choose to ignore them though.

Tons of rehashing and pandering for gen 1. A bad villain, the worst villainous team. The chibi style is very ugly, the least amount of good new pokemon, boring side characters, boring story.

Boss Doggie

SM had more gen 1 pandering than XY, and from my recollection XY had more viable mons that aren't legendaries

How about this company give people a reason to buy their game that is apparently coming out in 3 months
So you didn't see the past two third versions with their lack of info until nearly the release date?

Or the OR/AS reveal? Cause all of this is the usual stuff.

Atheerios

We don't know yet. Officially they are set in an alternate dimension from the original games. Knowing the plot from S/M this could also involve some sequel shenanigans, but as for today, they are just Emerald/Platinum split into two.

Nope! We know nothing!

Yeah, chances are really slim that these are full blown sequels. The sequel aspect of B2/W2 was pushed hard in the marketing, and even the names reflected it. If this was a similar deal, I find it hard to believe that they'd be this coy about it.

Considering they are releasing two version, i have a feeling it will be closer to BW/W2 as a sequel. The protags aren't the same from Sun/Moon either, while Dawn/(and whatever the guy was called) returned in Platinum.

You can expect new pokemon forms, new areas to explore, different trails (perhaps gyms are now a thing in Alola?), and obviously a new story. Team Skull is kill, and the Aether Foundation was never a real villain organization, so we'll see new antagonists as well.

I expect new Info to be released rather soon, late August i bet.

Edit: I'll be honest, i'm actually glad they aren't doing a blowout of information like they did with Sun/Moon last year. As i mentioned in a different post, all the reveals leading up to the release of Sun/Moon made my hype go through the roof, and i ended up disappointing myself because of it. I only hope that Gamefreak actually takes some fan feedback into consideration, and puts a real effort into these new games. They usually have in the past, but ever since X/Y, it's been hard to have confidence in Gamefreak in recent years.
Still mad about the Battle Frontier bullshit.

For the 1000th time, it's NOT a sequel. It's already confirmed to be an enhanced version of SM.

"Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon have been powered up with new additions to the story and features of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon"

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-video-games/pokemon-ultra-sun-and-pokemon-ultra-moon/

It's the same story as SM with "new additions", just like every other third-version.

Boss Doggie

The pandering in 6th gen is far worse.
7th gen remixes those Pokémon, 6th gen gives them to you as is.

it's no more pandering as say finding magnemite in BW2 though, let's compare megas - Gen VI gave most gens opportunity, compared to Kanto only alolan forms.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
For the 1000th time, it's NOT a sequel. It's already confirmed to be an enhanced version of SM.

"Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon have been powered up with new additions to the story and features of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon"

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-video-games/pokemon-ultra-sun-and-pokemon-ultra-moon/

It's the same story as SM with "new additions", just like every other third-version.
I guess you didn't understand that I was trying to cover my ass by avoiding simple absolutes like "this isn't a sequel, period." *shrugs*

Do note that the description you copy/pasted doesn't rule out the possibility of them extending the story beyond where S/M left it.

Top Bottom