• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon information to be revealed August 6 (JST)?

mebizzle

Jeez, there seems to be a lot of aggression going around in this thread.

I think the dusk form looks cool, hoping we get at least a couple more Alolan forms and I highly doubt this is a B2W2-esque sequel if they are also working on a Switch game for next year.

Busaiku

it's no more pandering as say finding magnemite in BW2 though, let's compare megas - Gen VI gave most gens opportunity, compared to Kanto only alolan forms.
There are 9 lines with Alolan forms, same as the number of 1st gen Megas in Y.
There are also more new Pokémon in Alola than there were in Kalos.

Nightbird

So you didn't see the past two third versions with their lack of info until nearly the release date?

Or the OR/AS reveal? Cause all of this is the usual stuff.

ORAS had actually valuable information after E3, with this game however even 2 months after E3 we know nothing.

ORAS made us wait a month for info.
USUM has still shown nothing after two months.

And that's the problem.

I mean XY didn't also wait until July before giving us first information about the game did it?

Regiruler

I don't even dislike Gen VI, the mechanics changes were great and everything was generally fine and snappy.

I just didn't think X/Y were good games and the hate for OR/AS completely baffles me because that was everything I was looking for.

ORAS's removal of the battle frontier was an absolute travesty in an era where games can get continual post-launch DLC for free. I severely wanted to play it for the first time.

Same goes for the fact that new mega evolutions IIRC were literally unusable in X/Y. It wasn't even that the stones were exclusive to ORAS (that was already an issue with just X/Y), but TPC (I'm going to blame them and not game freak, as the decision of not doing DLC is on them) doesn't update past games in brain dead obvious ways.

Red Fire

I'll say bad things. You can choose to ignore them though.

Tons of rehashing and pandering for gen 1. A bad villain, the worst villainous team. The chibi style is very ugly, the least amount of good new pokemon, boring side characters, boring story.

- gen 1 pandering in XY wasn't bad because it was the first time this happened. Coming from gen 5 where it was the total opposite it was a nice change. Now SM doing that AGAIN is something different

- not liking the villains and the chibi style is your opinion, fine

- least amount of good pokemon is laughable

- boring side characters/story is not true. I found AZs story and everything regarding the war to be quite interesting for example

ORAS had actually valuable information after E3, with this game however even 2 months after E3 we know nothing.

ORAS made us wait a month for info.
USUM has still shown nothing after two months.

And that's the problem.

I mean XY didn't also wait until July before giving us first information about the game did it?
Again though, this is typical for the third versions. Even B2/W2 had this.

Wait for the next piece of news before we start panicking.

The point is Gen 7 made 18 new Alolan forms, 1st gen only Pokemon. While Gen 6 introduced introduced 15 1st gen megas, 6 2nd gen megas, 20 3rd gen megas, 5 fourth gen megas, 1 5th gen mega and 1 6th gen Mega. It would've been nice to have seen some attention given to other gens besides just gen 1. Gen 6 pandered to gen 1 but it also threw some bones to the whole series. Gen 7 heavily pandered solely to Gen 1.

I'd like to see the series in general move on from its grip with Gen 1. Granted Pokemon Go's success only reinforced it.

barber

Yeah, as someone who really prefers gen 2 over gen 1, it hurts me see all that love for them while my typhlosion gets shafted. Like, come on, the idea of the Aloha forms where that trainers brought pokemon here from kanto, and fucking Johto is stuck to its side!
Otherwise, the lack of news is nothing new for 3rd games. Still I want to know which game to preorder >.<

Yeah, as someone who really prefers gen 2 over gen 1, it hurts me see all that love for them while my typhlosion gets shafted. Like, come on, the idea of the Aloha forms where that trainers brought pokemon here from kanto, and fucking Johto is stuck to its side!
Otherwise, the lack of news is nothing new for 3rd games. Still I want to know which game to preorder >.<
sRyE8_d.jpg

JoeM86

It's time for another historical lesson from your friendly neighbourhood Serebii

Yellow and Crystal were before my time

Pokémon Emerald

June 2004
Reveal in late June through leaked images of a magazine

July 2004
Actual reveal early July 2004
Mid-July reveal: Characters, Battle Frontier - Battle Pike & Battle Dome

August 2004
CoroCoro reveal (10th August)
Speed Forme Deoxys
Battle Arena
Scott
Gym Changes
Entry Call

September 2004
Launch

Pokémon Platinum

May 2008
Reveal within CoroCoro - Game's existence. Origin Forme Giratina's existence within the game confirmed

June 2008
Sky Forme Shaymin revealed for the movie
Regirock, Regice & Registeel's existence in the game via movie event revealed
Distortion World teased

July 2008
Release date confirmed
Battle Frontier Confirmed
New details: Battle Recorder, improvements to features, new sprites

August 2008
Rotom Form silhouettes
CoroCoro:
Looker & Charon revealed.
WiFi Plaza confirmation
More Battle Frontier details
Late August - Egg Spin Trade revealed

September 2008
Launch

Pokémon Black 2 & White 2

February 2012
Reveal on Pokémon Smash

April 2012
CoroCoro:
New region map, trainers, Hugh, Roxie, Marlon & Colress revealed. Details on the new cities and gyms.
Expanded Unova Pokédex confirmed
Nintendo Direct:
Pokémon Dream Radar & Pokédex 3D Pro revealed for Japan

May 2012
CoroCoro:
Therian Formes of Tornadus, Thundurus and Landorus revealed
PokéStar Studios revealed
Pokémon World Tournament revealed
Details on what happened to N, Cheren & Bianca
Official Site:
This badass animated trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwhnt4ytE3k

June 2012:
Trailer: Confirmed return of Ghetsis
Promo Pamphlet: Confirmed Entralink Missions & Join Avenue
CoroCoro:
Resolute Form Keldeo revealed. Details on Black & White Kyurem finally revealed. Details on changing Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus forms. Details on Neo Team Plasma, Elesa. Xtransceiver Mini-Games
June 23rd: Launch

There was a problem in this reveal. They revealed it too early. However, as we approach the 3 months until launch mark, we will now be getting news so people need to relax.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Yes and Megas were more than Gen 1, which was my point. Also XY didn't saturate with legendaries too, and have more three stage mons iirc.

Nightbird

It's time for another historical lesson from your friendly neighbourhood Serebii

Yellow and Crystal were before my time

Pokémon Emerald

June 2004
Reveal in late June through leaked images of a magazine

July 2004
Actual reveal early July 2004
Mid-July reveal: Characters, Battle Frontier - Battle Pike & Battle Dome

August 2004
CoroCoro reveal (10th August)
Speed Forme Deoxys
Battle Arena
Scott
Gym Changes
Entry Call

September 2004
Launch

Pokémon Platinum

May 2008
Reveal within CoroCoro - Game's existence. Origin Forme Giratina's existence within the game confirmed

June 2008
Sky Forme Shaymin revealed for the movie
Regirock, Regice & Registeel's existence in the game via movie event revealed
Distortion World teased

July 2008
Release date confirmed
Battle Frontier Confirmed
New details: Battle Recorder, improvements to features, new sprites

August 2008
Rotom Form silhouettes
CoroCoro:
Looker & Charon revealed.
WiFi Plaza confirmation
More Battle Frontier details
Late August - Egg Spin Trade revealed

September 2008
Launch

Pokémon Black 2 & White 2

February 2012
Reveal on Pokémon Smash

April 2012
CoroCoro:
New region map, trainers, Hugh, Roxie, Marlon & Colress revealed. Details on the new cities and gyms.
Expanded Unova Pokédex confirmed
Nintendo Direct:
Pokémon Dream Radar & Pokédex 3D Pro revealed for Japan

May 2012
CoroCoro:
Therian Formes of Tornadus, Thundurus and Landorus revealed
PokéStar Studios revealed
Pokémon World Tournament revealed
Details on what happened to N, Cheren & Bianca
Official Site:
This badass animated trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwhnt4ytE3k

June 2012:
Trailer: Confirmed return of Ghetsis
Promo Pamphlet: Confirmed Entralink Missions & Join Avenue
CoroCoro:
Resolute Form Keldeo revealed. Details on Black & White Kyurem finally revealed. Details on changing Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus forms. Details on Neo Team Plasma, Elesa. Xtransceiver Mini-Games
June 23rd: Launch

There was a problem in this reveal. They revealed it too early. However, as we approach the 3 months until launch mark, we will now be getting news so people need to relax.

Thanks for pointing out my problem.

yeah it's clear that the only reason they revealed it early was of them wanting to show off pokken in time for E3

though tbf i don't know if they had waited a bit more would have produced more salt or not

7Th

I feel that people are probably going to be pleasantly surprised by how different UltraSM is from the original. I'm expecting something similar to Platinum in the sense that the story begins 3-4 months after it started in the original; there will already be gyms in the obvious empty slots and Lusamine's plot will involve Necrozma in addition to Nebby.

Busaiku

The point is Gen 7 made 18 new Alolan forms, 1st gen only Pokemon. While Gen 6 introduced introduced 15 1st gen megas, 6 2nd gen megas, 20 3rd gen megas, 5 fourth gen megas, 1 5th gen mega and 1 6th gen Mega. It would've been nice to have seen some attention given to other gens besides just gen 1. Gen 6 pandered to gen 1 but it also threw some bones to the whole series. Gen 7 heavily pandered solely to Gen 1.

I'd like to see the series in general move on from its grip with Gen 1. Granted Pokemon Go's success only reinforced it.
There is pandering to other gens outside of Pokémon themselves.
This has always been the case before, of course, but it's a much bigger part of the experience than what other games offered.
Like the Zygarde cores, Ash-Greninja, Malie City, Anabel, and so on.
Yes and Megas were more than Gen 1, which was my point. Also XY didn't saturate with legendaries too, and have more three stage mons iirc.
What's the problem with Legendary Pokémon or 1/2 stage lines? They both have the same number of 3 stage lines though (8).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Is a new Mimikyu form coming soon?

I ask because iirc there was a merchandise ad a few weeks ago that had two "?" on it (one which is presumably Dusk Lycanroc), and it seems the anime has sort of become the new promotional vehicle for new forms---like how this month the show led up to Rockruff evolving into the new form, I noticed next month right around CoroCoro is an episode focused on Jessie's Mimikyu called "Mimikyu's Disguise", so I wonder if a new form may be revealed for it? It certainly seems like a Pokemon I imagine would have more added to it.

RRockman

Banned

Wait tho, didn't thyplosion get a really cool signature move? Was it useless in the meta game?

RRockman

Banned
You mean Eruption? It's my GOAT move with my boy Typhlosion but Groudon has it too. So it's not signature unfortunately.

No, I actually just looked it up. It's called Burn Up, it's like 130 dmg and after you use it the pokemon becomes typeless.(no strengths, no weaknesses) I honestly thought it was a HUGE buff for thyplosion but I'm not too familiar with the meta any more...

Wait tho, didn't thyplosion get a really cool signature move? Was it useless in the meta game?

Typhlosion has Eruption, a move shared with Entei, Torkoal, Camerupt, Groudon and Heatran that does more damage the more HP % the user has. (up to BP 150) It's undoubtedly powerful, but it's not enough to make Typhlsion good. In fact, most of those mons that can learn it opt to use something else.

edit: greninja'd. Arcanine is a better user of Burn Up in VGC IIRC, though maybe that was just early-meta shenanigans.

Boss Doggie

There is pandering to other gens outside of Pokémon themselves.
This has always been the case before, of course, but it's a much bigger part of the experience than what other games offered.
Like the Zygarde cores, Ash-Greninja, Malie City, Anabel, and so on.

What's the problem with Legendary Pokémon or 1/2 stage lines? They both have the same number of 3 stage lines though (8).
those are minor compared to the kanto stuff unlike in xy which seems more mild

Few legendariea mean more commons.

Someday they will get a mega, or a rework that makes them more useful!
no they wont (cries)
Or i better hope not, as my fav gen4 pokemon got a mega that is worse than the OG so they probably don't like me

Gen 2 continues to be the Red-Headed Step child of Pokemon. Sigh.
The starters are in dire need of some upgrades (both stat wise and move pool). I'd really love to see them get megas which would at least grant them secondary typings to bolster their usage.

mebizzle

Gen 2 continues to be the Red-Headed Step child of Pokemon. Sigh.
The starters are in dire need of some upgrades (both stat wise and move pool). I'd really love to see them get megas which would at least grant them secondary typings to bolster their usage.

I would just love to go back to the combined Johto/Kanto. Gen II doesn't get enough love.

No, I actually just looked it up. It's called Burn Up, it's like 130 dmg and after you use it the pokemon becomes typeless.(no strengths, no weaknesses) I honestly thought it was a HUGE buff for thyplosion but I'm not too familiar with the meta any more...
Oh I forgot about Burn Up! But it still isn't a signature move since others can use it.

I use it though! I like it a lot.

Sandfox

Gen 7 hasn't ended yet.

it's no more pandering as say finding magnemite in BW2 though, let's compare megas - Gen VI gave most gens opportunity, compared to Kanto only alolan forms.
The problem people had with gen 6 "pandering" is that it extended to the story.

Gen 7 hasn't ended yet.

The problem people had with gen 6 "pandering" is that it extended to the story.
Gen 7 contained heavy Kanto references in the story as well? The main character is from Kanto and there are many references such as Professor oaks cousin and kukui taking on Johto.

Mentioning anything related to Gen 1 is pandering to some fans. A lot of fans are in "bitch eating crackers" mode when it comes to gen 1. It's really sad honestly, cause the stuff in X/Y and Sun/Moon is relatively minor.

Mentioning anything related to Gen 1 is pandering to some fans. A lot of fans are in "bitch eating crackers" mode when it comes to gen 1. It's really sad honestly, cause the stuff in X/Y and Sun/Moon is relatively minor.

Pretty sure there was an entire city based on Johto in the game too.

There's references to every gen in every game. If it has anything to do with Generation 1 though, it's pandering of worse kind.

LotusHD

Banned

The only thing that ever really irks me is when people want a game with only Gen 1 Pokemon in it lol

The only thing that ever really irks me is when people want a game with only Gen 1 Pokemon in it lol
Those people are delusional. Half of the audience for Pokemon likely grew up with gen 3/4/5 by now, and doesn't even care that much for most gen 1 pokemon. I mean, just look at how hard they push Lucario. Can you imagine a Pokemon game without him? I can't.

Sandfox

The reality is that gen 1 is the most popular gen and Game Freak has been taking advantage of the nostalgia. People get upset because they see it as a slight against the other generations.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even mind Gen 1 getting all the spotlight. What does slightly annoy me is how they played favorites with Alola forms and Pokemon-specific Z moves. As it stands, the other generations aren't getting enough love, and hopefully US/UM can change that.

Neoxon

The problem is mainly those who think all post-Kanto Pokémon are trash & that Game Freak should stick with the original 151 for future games.

Sandfox

I don't even mind Gen 1 getting all the spotlight. What does slightly annoy me is how they played favorites with Alola forms and Pokemon-specific Z moves. As it stands, the other generations aren't getting enough love, and hopefully US/UM can change that.

I doubt they are done with regional variants. With the Z moves there are barely any pokemon-exclusive ones either way so we'll see what happens there.

The problem is mainly those who think all post-Kanto Pokémon are trash & that Game Freak should stick with the original 151 for future games.
Game Freak is never going to listen to those people.

This is not a real problem to actually be worried about. The series is still popular and sell amazingly, Game Freak is still making brand new Pokemon, so what if fans or former fans say that stuff? It only derails discussions because some of you are catching feelings and letting a small group steer the conversation that way when it's easily ignorable. Like it's been mentioned, the modern audience likely grew with the GBA and DS generations than anything prior. My kid brother was 4 when Ruby and Sapphire came out for example.

Boss Doggie

The best way to deal with people like those is to honestly ignore them or the fun one, shame them and their tastes and point out their inevitbale hypocrisy.

Keyouta

I want to fight the fused form of Lusamine. How the fuck did that not happen. I thought we were going to fight her but it turns out she just used regular Pokemon.

LotusHD

Banned
The best way to deal with people like those is to honestly ignore them or the fun one, shame them and their tastes and point out their inevitbale hypocrisy.

I shall continue to do the latter I guess.

I want to fight the fused form of Lusamine. How the fuck did that not happen. I thought we were going to fight her but it turns out she just used regular Pokemon.

Lmao, I love how we're all still salty about that.

I'm very curious to see what else is waiting for us in Ultra Sun and Moon. Dusk Lycanroc is cool, but I do want more info soon.

What do you think the story will be? They said a new story, but what does that mean exactly?

Nightbird

My problem is when new stuff/mechanics concerning Pokemon are added and it's mostly Gen 1 getting the good stuff.

I mean, I get that it's easily marketable, but I wish we had non-kanto alola variants for Pokemon.

It'll probably be much better in USUM when Mega-Pokemon in Gen 6 are anything to go by, but it's still frustrating.

Top Bottom