• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokkén Tournament gameplay trailer

Lol, chill out, I believe I have the right to express my opinions as well as not share the same one as you. I'm not going to "get over it".

I am chill, you were the one italicizing fighting like it was a travesty because Suicune was in the game. That's why I was saying chill out. You are entitled your opinion of course.

Toxi

Banned
I want Galvantula, hopefully Pikachu being electric doesn't exclude it. Though I have a feeling the bug type will be Scyther/Scizor or Heracross.
Heracross seems likely, since the Japanese love their kabutos.

But maybe Gamefreak will make my day with my favorite Pokemon. ::::3
Suicune's pretty popular if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah, it's not surprising other than being a quadruped.

I hope it's better than the Sonic Championship

sonic-the-fighters-10.jpg

That reminds me that we'll never get a sequel to it and Fighters Megamix 2

wat

Keldeo came out before FIM and it's the only horse on the group, the others are various hoofed animals.

I don't say it out of any connection between them and MLP. I say it out of dislike for the Pokemon themselves and merely stole the term off of GAF.

I know that they aren't really all horses.

Son Of D

Pikachu and Gardevoir are pretty popular but Suicune? Weird choice.

These kind of games always have a more "surreal" choice in their roster. Don't think there's been a crossover fighter that hasn't had an obscure or rarely mentioned character.

Not to mention that Suicune is quite a popular legendary that isn't bipedal.

Also this:

11604_front.jpg

Garbodor is garbage wearing a trash bag as a luchador mask.

Which is why it's amazing.

(Though really, I just want any Poison type. It's tied with Bug as my favorite type. Weezing is my favorite Poison type, but good luck getting that to work in a fighting game)

There's only one proper Poison-type they can choose, and it isn't Toxicroak.

RfEdRXO.png

JoeInky

Kingler, Beedrill, Kabutops, Aerodactyl, Parasect, Poliwrath, Tentacruel, Hypno, Exeggutor, Tauros, Mewtwo, Ariados, Scizor, Donphan, Tyranitar, Ludicolo, Breloom, Shedinja, Aggron, Sharpedo, Regice, Toxicroak, Gigalith, Cofagrigus, Galvantula, Aegislash, Barbaracle, Tyrantrum and Goodra.

Any number of these would make me an extremely happy chappy.

I'd say Mewtwo, Scizor and Tyranitar are all shoe ins.

HeelPower

This game seems like the Pokemon fighting game I've been dreaming about since childhood.

Happy people who wanted this are getting it.Looks great.

I am chill, you were the one italicizing fighting like it was a travesty because Suicune was in the game. That's why I was saying chill out. You are entitled your opinion of course.

That wasn't what I was implying though. I just like to use italics for emphasis, lol. :p I just find it a bizarre choice.

R.D.Blax

After watching that video I don't get why it's called Pokken. It does not look like Tekken at all.

It's a new fighting game made by Harada, the director of Tekken. That's all I can see.

It's a play on word in japanese. Tekken mean something like Iron Fist, so Pokken would be Pokemon fist or something similar.

TreIII

After watching that video I don't get why it's called Pokken. It does not look like Tekken at all.

It's a new fighting game made by Harada, the director of Tekken. That's all I can see.

It's a cute name that combines the "Poké" from Pokémon with the "Ken" (re: Fist) that designates what type of game it is, and hails from the same makers of Tekken. What more is necessary?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Kingler, Beedrill, Kabutops, Aerodactyl, Parasect, Poliwrath, Tentacruel, Hypno, Exeggutor, Tauros, Mewtwo, Ariados, Scizor, Donphan, Tyranitar, Ludicolo, Breloom, Shedinja, Aggron, Sharpedo, Regice, Toxicroak, Gigalith, Cofagrigus, Galvantula, Aegislash, Barbaracle, Tyrantrum and Goodra.

Any number of these would make me an extremely happy chappy.

I'd say Mewtwo, Scizor and Tyranitar are all shoe ins.

Tyranitar would make my day.

Nap1400

"Tekken" means "iron fist" or something along those lines.

There's actually a joke you can also spot in the background info of the game: apparently these types of battles are known as "Ferrum battles" in the game universe. "Ferrum" being the latin word for "iron".

It's a pun. Ken means fist, so it's Pokefist Tournament. Also marketing reasons as well.

"Tekken" means "iron fist" or something along those lines.

Then why are people getting so hostile because I want the roster to primarily consist of Pokémon that use their fists? :p

I'm going to riot in the streets if some other Ice-type gets in before Jynx. Until generation IV, she was the only Ice-type Pokémon that could learn Ice Punch through level up. I can see them adding Abomasnow instead. Urgh.

Pikachu using Mishima-style karate looks hilarious. The other choices of Pokémon look pretty good so far. As others have said, Suicune is the odd-ball here.

Also, I'm wondering if the controller was a stipulation of Nintendo's. This game would probably control better with a standard joystick, but I know they're trying to reach a different audience. Who knows, maybe the final cabinet will have both the gamepad and the standard joystick set-up.

I'm really glad that they are expanding beyond "traditional" fighter Pokemon - Pikachu and Suicune look great. The mix between 3D and 2D fighting looks fun, too - color me excited!

I hope they go all out with the roster and extra features for the Wii U version.

Neiteio

Oddball picks like Suicune is why I'm excited for this game. Of the characters shown so far, though, Gardevoir is the one I really want to play. Some DBZ-style shenanigans there, with the free-floating and projectile spam. Makes me want to see... Volcarona, for some reason.

alvis.exe

Suicune is such an unexpected choice but that just opens the floodgates for more unexpected choices. Fingers crossed for Clefairy/Clefable!

It's probably just me but something about Pikachu's model looks kinda weird during the victory pose... Not sure why exactly though.

TreIII

Say, did we ever see Pikachu and Lucario's super?

Pikachu's looked like some type of over the top combo involving Volteccer, while Lucario's ended up with him doing something akin to a MvC-style Shinkuu Hadouken after some attack that looked like that attack Piccolo did to Android 17.

trutrutru

console exclusive characters please. Would love to see like 3 characters that are a part of the regular Nintendo universe. That may be asking for too much though

Oddball picks like Suicune is why I'm excited for this game. Of the characters shown so far, though, Gardevoir is the one I really want to play. Some DBZ-style shenanigans there, with the free-floating and projectile spam. Makes me want to see... Volcarona, for some reason.
Same here. Golduck is still one of my most wanted, but Gardevoir will the void nicely if he doesn't make the cut.

kollapse

Neo Member
The game definitely looks interesting, but I almost feel as though the gamepad is the most significant part about this whole thing. I imagine the direction is coming from Nintendo, but isn't the whole decision pretty strange? Sure, it may make the eventual transition to home easier for some, but it's not as though anyone who goes to arcades in the first place is going to be put off by a joystick.

Unless the intent is to market this to a young audience primarily, at non-game center locations primarily? Maybe?

TDLink

I like that it's not just Tekken. Including both the field phase and duel phase and switching between the two looks awesome. Works perfectly for Pokemon as a franchise and pleases people who wanted both kinds of fighting games. Makes it really unique.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Pikachu's looked like some type of over the top combo involving Volteccer, while Lucario's ended up with him doing something akin to a MvC-style Shinkuu Hadouken after some attack that looked like that attack Piccolo did to Android 17.
Pikachu's is that Volt Tackle attack

Ahh didn't notice that.

And Lucario did Hellzone Grenade? Sweet.

Hype deflated. This looks like one of those 3D arena Naruto or Dragon Ball Z fighting games. I really just wanted Pokemon Tekken, like the name implies.

Top Bottom