• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokkén Tournament trademark registered in EU. (mentions NFC enabled "figurines")

ekim

https://oami.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/014487219

CJ4JX4FZVCC523YA2TMALSKFLEEB4IQGPVJ7WKL6NVU24JZTYH7TIBRX25SOWXBW5PNUL6QLYBGG2

Computer game programs; computer game software; electronic game programs; electronic game software; interactive electronic game programs; interactive electronic game software; interactive video game programs; interactive video game software; video game programs; video game software; downloadable multimedia files, namely, games; downloadable computer game programs; downloadable computer game software; downloadable electronic game programs; downloadable electronic game software; downloadable interactive electronic game programs; downloadable interactive game software; downloadable video game programs; downloadable video game software; Near field communication (NFC) technology-enabled devices, namely, key chain tags, key chains, key fobs, key tags, key rings and key holders, and figurines, to facilitate the transmission and recording and exchange of video game content.

L~A

The NFC stuff is most likely for the BanaPass thing, not figures.

That being said, whenever there's a console release, it's bound to be amiibo compatible.

MrV4ltor

Maybe we're getting a Direct soon. We're long overdue for one anyway and this would be perfect as the big announcement.

ash_ag

A localization could be announced in Worlds considering the game was created with the goal of becoming the third game of Worlds in mind.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The NFC is most likely for having data be universal for arcade <-> console/handheld thing.

JoeM86

I'm not expecting anything crazy here. Just costumes and mini games.

Arcade game uses the BANA Passport to access data for your Pokémon level ups etc., so logically if the game does come to Wii U and it does have amiibo functionality, it'd be to save customisations to the fighters.

Note: The above is speculation and not indicative of insider knowledge

Anyone know the specificaiton of Banapass. It almost sounds like it is a glorified hyperlink (consider they can replace it and recover the data means that data is external).

I can see a home release of the game being compatible (even if the current Wii U Tekken game is not) but I'm not sure I can see amiibo being used in place as I imagine the data structures are different plus it is easy to overwrite an amiibo.

That said I would be surprised if there no amiibo functionality at all. Considering Namco worked on Super Smash Bros and the Nintendo costumes in Tekken (maybe we could have some Pokemon cosplay?)

Oregano

FWIW Bamco also had Amiibo support for One Piece and Ace Combat 3DS. They actually had Amiibo support on 3DS before Nintendo.

JoeM86

What are the chances of new pokemon for Pokken in Worlds?

Minimal. Localisation/home console announcement is possible, but Worlds is for VGC and TCG.

I maintain a main game announcement is far more likely, but this trademark coming now has given me pause.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ironically, all the Amiibos will be compatible with Pokkén except for the Pokémon ones.

Bleep

Minimal. Localisation/home console announcement is possible, but Worlds is for VGC and TCG.

I maintain a main game announcement is far more likely, but this trademark coming now has given me pause.

I'd be pretty surprised if they announced a home version so soon. Bandai Namco usually hold out on announcing home ports of their arcade games for quite a while to keep arcade owners happy, even when a home version is obvious. I would be happy to be wrong though! Might be different when the Pokemon Company is involved.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

True enough, but still they wanted Pokken to be in worlds... maybe have them there as well to gain attraction?

JoeM86

True enough, but still they wanted Pokken to be in worlds... maybe have them there as well to gain attraction?

Maybe, but given what we have known as unknown at the moment, the smart money is still on a main series announcement if any announcement at all.

Hell, why not both? One in opening ceremony, one in closing ceremony.

Or we get nothing

Zombine

Banned
Arcade game uses the BANA Passport to access data for your Pokémon level ups etc., so logically if the game does come to Wii U and it does have amiibo functionality, it'd be to save customisations to the fighters.

Note: The above is speculation and not indicative of insider knowledge

That's pretty interesting. So logically they'll just put that tech into the Pokemon Amiibo. Maybe other figures like say Mario could unlock hats and costumes?

oh man, i might get some pokemon figures if they do release them. man, i hope its just cards that way I'm not tempted, cause I know I'll have for pokemon

Neoxon

Hopefully they port it for Wii U and NX. It would be great for the NX to have a fighting game at launch
More likely than not, the NX platform will have a remaster of Smash 4 at launch. If anything, I'd guess that Pokkén Tournament will be in the slot that was previously occupied by Splatoon & Mario Kart 8 as the Wii U's (last) summer game.

Neoxon

What if they announce their own Toys-to-Life platform separate from amiibo?
I doubt it, more so since Nintendo already coded slots for each Pokémon. They just won't be use in any games beyond Pokkén Tournament (or Smash & Super Mario Maker for the Pokémon who are in both Smash & Pokkén). Going with their own toys-to-life platform would be seen as a "screw you" to Nintendo's Amiibo platform.

Top Bottom