• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Policy: Sony (or a user reporting you) can now change your PSN name without notice if they think your tag is offensive

Will you buy a PS5 if Sony continues with this anti-consumer policy?

• Total voters
Abstract-Light-Sony-Logo-Wallpaper-4875_1200x675.jpg

(Sony still using XMB style backgrounds 14 years later)​

PlayStation 4’s PSN name change feature is now live thus giving Sony the ability to change your username if it’s found to be offensive. It will be done if someone reports you online or by Sony itself if you violate any of the rules mentioned here.
It’s better than getting banned for having an offensive PSN name. Starting with the new feature, offensive usernames will be automatically changed to a temporary ID which can be later changed by the user.
Sony Interactive Entertainment has mentioned this new rule under PSN name change section on the official support website. This rule also applies to everyone that’s going to use the new PlayStation name change feature. So make sure to not fool around and get your name changed.
Here’s the official description provided by Sony
If you find that your online ID is now ‘Tempxxx’, this change was caused by a report from another player and an investigation by moderation staff, with a finding that your online ID has breached the PSN Terms of Service.
Overall this feature somehow lowers the chances of players getting banned. We advise you to refrain from creating offensive profiles in order to avoid problems later.
Other PS4 users can now turn on their systems and finally change the embarrassing usernames which they made. The first alteration is free of cost but afterward, every change will cost you $10/£8 and $5/£4 for PlayStation Plus users.

Sony has put out a name change option, however it in reality covers a brand new anti-consumer policy where anyone offended can get your name changed and likely banned. Even normal names can now be reported and changed if any person is offended. Looking online, masculine names like "toughman" are considered offensive and will be changed. As well as names like "sissygirl".

But that's not the part that I have an issue, with, it's the part that anyone can report anyone for anything.

Verdanth

Lol, shit the negative twist you make to the topic at hand is brilliant. Jesus christ, you must receive for every badmouth you do about Sony.

Lol, shit the negative twist you make to the topic at hand is brilliant. Jesus christ, you must receive for every badmouth you do about Sony.

There's a positive twist to news Sony or someone offended can get your user name changed abruptly at anytime? Please share.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Shouldve made a new poll myself in the future

Question : Who is the best Xbox astroturfer on Neogaf?

Options :

-Voost
-Afro
- Freedom Co
- Kagey

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Lol..

Yes im buying a PS5. I like the games.

On a side note if people reported names as offensive and sony didnt do anything its another negative story to write.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
There's a positive twist to news Sony or someone offended can get your user name changed abruptly at anytime? Please share.
if it's found to be offensive. You put it in bold yourself. Husky's not gonna get changed, no matter how many times it's reported.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Also please don't perm ban OP mods.
His threads are hilarious

Last edited:

Codes 208

Anyone remember that buttcheeks guy who kept getting his gamer tag changed to Azure something? And when he complained about it here not only did his rant thread backfire but a mod changed his gaf name to azure(whatever)

Good times. (Though I wish I remembered what the whole name was. It was like azure stallion or something)

Nymphae

Banned
Pick a non offensive name, who the fuck cares. If toughman is your username, are you going to cry when you have to change it lol? I have a name that is not my own, and not offensive. I don't really give a fuck what it is, neither do my friends once they're on my list and enjoying games with me. If you feel the need to impart some edge with your username, I just don't feel that sorry for you. This is not going to result in a substantial number of non-offensively named accounts being banned.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That's stupid, but I don't really use PSN so I guess I don't care.

Play on fanmade servers on PC if you care so much about using the names you want. It's their private platform amirite?

if it's found to be offensive. You put it in bold yourself. Husky's not gonna get changed, no matter how many times it's reported.

Husky means kind of tough and durable, very manly, many people would take offense.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

This is what they've been doing for years.

It's actually better now.

Before your account would get locked and you would have to call support and they should change your name but you would lose all trophies.

Now you just do it yourself and lose nothing other than the stupid name you chose.

Rockstar didn't like my name when I signed up for their online nonsense, apparently 'Torrent' is a naughty word to money-counters, even though it's a legitimate goddamned word with a real definition.

Fbh

That's it. This is SO bad I think you should definitely make a big thread about how anti consumer Sony has become and then put a list of all their anti consumer stuff in there.

Here's some thread title suggestions you could use that just completely randomly came to mind:
"Sony is self sabotaging themselves with deep censorship and anti-consumer polices for no logical reason, and the top approves. (Do you agree?)"
"Sony seems to be heading all-in on anti-consumer practices."

On topic, isn't this pretty standard practice for most similar services? Just a few days ago we had a thread where someone had their username changed by Microsoft for being "offensive" and they were also charging him $10 if he wanted to change it to something else

Verdanth

Yap, think before you decide your nickname?

You speak like every name will automatically change if someone reports it. Jesus.

Codes 208

I think in xbox you get instantly banned or they dont even let you create the tag.
Dont remember which.
Xbox would forcibly change your name if the reports are taken seriously. And unless you’ve already used your free pass you’d have to pay to make a new name.

Last edited:

Foxbat

Banned
Xbox would forcibly change your name if the reports are taken seriously. And unless you’ve already used your free pass you’d have to pay to make a new name.

A guy I'm friends with on Xbox Live has had his name reported several times. About once a month or so, he gets a message from Xbox telling him that his name has been deemed inappropriate, and that he needs to change it. He changes his name to something similar to what it was before, and the cycle continues. He hasn't been charged to do so yet, and he's changed it at least 5 or 6 times now.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A guy I'm friends with on Xbox Live has had his name reported several times. About once a month or so, he gets a message from Xbox telling him that his name has been deemed inappropriate, and that he needs to change it. He changes his name to something similar to what it was before, and the cycle continues. He hasn't been charged to do so yet, and he's changed it at least 5 or 6 times now.

Must be magical Teflon, considering this is the norm, and has been the norm.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/i’m-tired-of-everyone-being-“offended”-xbox-live-rant.1475510/

Foxbat

Banned
Must be magical Teflon, considering this is the norm, and has been the norm.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/i’m-tired-of-everyone-being-“offended”-xbox-live-rant.1475510/

It's been a few months since he changed it last, so maybe MS has changed their policy.

Certainly not Teflon though, and certainly hasn't been the norm. It might be an individual thing by MS, or it might be dependent on how many people complain about your username.

It was a not so secret tip that if you wanted a free name change on Xbox, you just had to get enough people to complain to MS about it, and viola... You'd get a free name change. I've seen several people do this, though none in the last year or so.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's been a few months since he changed it last, so maybe MS has changed their policy.

Certainly not Teflon though, and certainly hasn't been the norm. It might be an individual thing by MS, or it might be dependent on how many people complain about your username.

It was a not so secret tip that if you wanted a free name change on Xbox, you just had to get enough people to complain to MS about it, and viola... You'd get a free name change. I've seen several people do this, though none in the last year or so.

So they probably changed it for people abusing the system then.

Mista

Banned
Even if someone reported because they got offended by your username, Sony won’t go and just change the name. They aren’t stupid

Last edited:
I mean why not, would you rather just get your account completely banned? If in 2019 you are playing online with an account such as "nazi_swastika_dreamin", you should be happy they at least let you play at all. Nothing anti-consumer about this.

Pallas

Gold Member
Yeah, damn Sony for changing our offensive gamertags! Only issue I would have with this is if it was automated. Name could be perfectly not offensive but if it gets “reported bomb” it might trigger an automated response.

Shouldve made a new poll myself in the future

Question : Who is the best Xbox astroturfer on Neogaf?

Options :

-Voost
-Afro
- Freedom Co
- Kagey

Pretty sure he’s a shill for Google, evidently as of lately.

Ivellios

Why dont mods create an OT for your weekly Pro Stadia/ Anti Sony threads? At least they all stay in just one thread, since they have basically the same content every time.

demigod

OP must be new to the internet. Every mmo or online game/service does this if you get reported for having an offensive name.

Can the mods change his name to Microsoft Hunert Smoke?

they need a better infrastructure setup to be honest....it’s taken them this many years to get this basic functionality and even then it has some holes in the implementation such as trophies/progress and some games will still have your old username

They also need to put in better filters at creation...how fucking hard is it to put in a filter to not allow nigg
BDDC1DA7-E4D9-4213-9E4A-81EA69A285A5.png

Petrae

I think that Sony’s return to arrogance/shitty behavior is lame, but citing this example as a reason not to buy PS5 is a reach. Offensive user IDs get changed on lot of other services. This isn’t new territory.

But that's not the part that I have an issue, with, it's the part that anyone can report anyone for anything.

Are you new to the internet or something? I’d guess you’re a rampant Xbox fanboy by the quality of this post, but that can’t be true. If it were you’d know Sony’s new policy is exactly what xbox’s has been for years.

Top Bottom