• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Policy: Sony (or a user reporting you) can now change your PSN name without notice if they think your tag is offensive

Will you buy a PS5 if Sony continues with this anti-consumer policy?

• Total voters

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yet another console warring Voost Kain thread. C'mon man, almost everyone can see through your shtick at this point.

Rayderism

I would be pissed if someone forced my PSN name to be changed, especially when you can lose stuff on some games with a name change. I'm 100% digital this gen, I would stand to lose a considerable amount of stuff, as I have multiple games in the lists of games that have issues with name changes. I've had the same PSN name since......2013 I think.....maybe 2012 and have no intention of changing it.

More than likely, I'm probably safe as I don't game online at all, and I don't see how my PSN name could possibly be considered offensive. (It's the same on PSN as it is here. Could it be construed as offensive in any way?) But still, this sounds like a policy that could be seriously abused by trolls or someone who got upset when you curb-stomped them in some game.

If my name got arbitrarily changed, and I lost some of my digital purchases as a result, it actually might change my mind about getting a PS5.

Silent Duck

names like "toughman" are considered offensive and will be changed. As well as names like "sissygirl".

Awww damn! There goes the name I wanted to use.

Seriously though, who the hell would use the name Sissygirl.
“Toughman Sissygirl”, however, has a nice ring to it.:messenger_squinting_tongue:

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Abstract-Light-Sony-Logo-Wallpaper-4875_1200x675.jpg

(Sony still using XMB style backgrounds 14 years later)​

Sony has put out a name change option, however it in reality covers a brand new anti-consumer policy where anyone offended can get your name changed and likely banned. Even normal names can now be reported and changed if any person is offended. Looking online, masculine names like "toughman" are considered offensive and will be changed. As well as names like "sissygirl".

But that's not the part that I have an issue, with, it's the part that anyone can report anyone for anything.

In your post is explicity states that the name change will only happen after an investigation by a moderator. So how does that mean that anyone will get banned for any name?

Alx

There's nothing wrong with enforcing the Terms of Service, and having a reporting system is a good thing too. Of course it wouldn't be sustainable if a single report would guarantee a punishment, but it's the company's responsibility to decide whether a user name breaks their rules or not.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I think it's a good move, it spurs creativity. P005Y 5L4Y32

Last edited:

Akira1983

Banned
Harmless names like toughman and sissy girl are NOT going to be banned

I’ll need receipts to believe it

Otherwise this is just lame ass fear mongering and “but the SJWs took our games who their coming for my PlayStation ID hurr durr”

I’ve had the same name since early ps3 days without issue

Pick a name without obvious swears, slurs or offensive shit and you will be fine, this isn’t hard somehow millions of people manage to have an acceptable PSN name every day

This topic is shit and you should feel bad

My account may well be affected, probably because most people think it's a drug reference (it's actually an abbreviation of my name). I'd rather not log on some day to find out my name has been changed because some nonce over at Sony thought I was promoting drug use.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My account may well be affected, probably because most people think it's a drug reference (it's actually an abbreviation of my name). I'd rather not log on some day to find out my name has been changed because some nonce over at Sony thought I was promoting drug use.

If you were not worried before, you should be less worried now all things considered.

A name change policy is nothing new, however before, your account was locked and you had to call CS to get a name change, which you lost all of your trophies, they transferred game licenses.

The new policy, if one is ever impacted, you get a prompt to change the name yourself, keep your trophies, and worst case you may need to log out and log in to restore some things, and re-initialize licenses for some games. People have been having positive results so far, so to me, it is being blown up bigger than it really is.

As for the OP, damn spin and it is best to ignore the bias ramblings.

Futaleufu

I remember when they banned a user that had "kike" in his user tag,

but they forgot to check that the user was mexican, his name was Enrique and Kike is the shortened form of Enrique in spanish. Of course, some users in the other forum were still asking him to apologize and to change his name to not offend another culture he is not a part of.

Three

Are you new to the internet or something? I’d guess you’re a rampant Xbox fanboy by the quality of this post, but that can’t be true. If it were you’d know Sony’s new policy is exactly what xbox’s has been for years.
He uses GAF which lo and behold has a report button too.

Top Bottom