• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New poster for REVIII found in steam, Chris Redfield is a... ?!?!!

But I think it's hard to argue that the enemies in 1 or Zero are creative. 2, 3, 4 and even 6 had a far more interesting bestiary of enemies. 7 was kinda meh, but I think 8's enemies are pretty interesting so far.
I agree. RE0 has the worst set of enemies in the whole series. The whole "giant animal/giant bug" thing was pretty played out by that point, and they make up most of the game's roster of enemies. RE1 has a similar problem, but I've always forgiven it because it was the first game.

Roni

Gold Member
But I think it's hard to argue that the enemies in 1 or Zero are creative. 2, 3, 4 and even 6 had a far more interesting bestiary of enemies. 7 was kinda meh, but I think 8's enemies are pretty interesting so far.
They're creative in the full sense of the word: useful as well as stylish.

If there's only style and no substance, it's hard to feel afraid. The giant spiders will always be more scary than the invisible flying things in RE4.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright

SuperGooey

They're creative in the full sense of the word: useful as well as stylish.

If there's only style and no substance, it's hard to feel afraid. The giant spiders will always be more scary than the invisible flying things in RE4.
You're cherrypicking, and you know it.

Regenerators, Dr Salvadors, Del Lago, and Verdugo are far more creative and "scary" than giant spiders. I love RE1 with a serious passion, but the cast of monsters isn't anything special.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
You're cherrypicking, and you know it.

Regenerators, Dr Salvadors, Del Lago, and Verdugo are far more creative and "scary" than giant spiders. I love RE1 with a serious passion, but the cast of monsters isn't anything special.

I'm talking about the fact those enemies you're mentioning require the background of a movie genre to work. Insects come bundled with the fear factor.

Enlarging them and making them crave blood is two small steps...

SuperGooey

I'm talking about the fact those enemies you're mentioning require the background of a movie genre to work. Insects come bundled with the fear factor.

Enlarging them and making them crave blood is two small steps...
Regenerators don't require a movie knowledge background to creep you out.

Making bugs bigger is kinda lazy. I don't see anyone mentioning how the big scorpion in Zero is one of RE's scariest enemies, but fans constantly site Regenerators as the scariest enemy in the series.

Roni

Gold Member

Making bugs bigger is kinda lazy. I don't see anyone mentioning how the big scorpion in Zero is one of RE's scariest enemies, but fans constantly site Regenerators as the scariest enemy in the series.

You sure that's not just because RE4 sold a fuck ton more because it isn't a straight horror game? C'mon now...

SuperGooey

You sure that's not just because RE4 sold a fuck ton more because it isn't a straight horror game? C'mon now...
You initially compared Zero's giant bugs to RE4's enemies, somehow saying that Zero's are more "creative in the full sense of the word"--they are literally just regular bugs... but made BIGGER. Regardless of what genre you think RE4 is, Regenerators are more creative and scary to most people over a giant bug in a video game. Not just from a character design point of view, but from its animation, sound design (the heavy breathing and music), and how complex it is mechanically.

I think you're trying really hard to play up big bugs as the epitome of creativity and scares the series has reached. If that's you're opinion, cool, but most people are gonna disagree with you when enemies like Mr. X, Lickers, Regenerators, Nemesis, etc. came after. Hell, even the bug enemies got more creative as the series went on.

Last edited:
6e6e65c6a32d76c0965fff33ef93409474a83e71_960x311.jpg

Werewolf ???

EnB2HI_VgAAK6EK

NextScaredDuckling-size_restricted.gif

And an ugly werewolf by the way:
ss_c55622a9636a6f7ed2b2b42d648e206987b058f0.1920x1080.jpg

*facepalms heavily*

God.

I do +1 for them too, most feared enemies in the series, ex aequo with og re3 nemesis ( not the remake flying batman one, ugh)

That noise, and the unexpected grab and impale... My God

Roni

Gold Member
You initially compared Zero's giant bugs to RE4's enemies, somehow saying that Zero's are more "creative in the full sense of the word"--they are literally just regular bugs... but made BIGGER. Regardless of what genre you think RE4 is, Regenerators are more creative and scary to most people over a giant bug in a video game. Not just from a character design point of view, but from its animation, sound design (the heavy breathing and music), and how complex it is mechanically.

I think you're trying really hard to play up big bugs as the epitome of creativity and scares the series has reached. If that's you're opinion, cool, but most people are gonna disagree with you when enemies like Mr. X, Lickers, Regenerators, Nemesis, etc. came after. Hell, even the bug enemies got more creative as the series went on.
You should take that big speech to people who can't play Skyrim without replacing the spiders with mods.

Maybe you'll convince them to be more afraid of the Regenerators instead.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

You should take that big speech to people who can't play Skyrim without replacing the spiders with mods.

Maybe you'll convince them to be more afraid of the Regenerators instead.
You talking about very specific people with a very specific phobia. I could just as easily say that RE should have you fighting carrots for people with carrot phobias. Overall, I think the Regenerators are far more unnerving while giant spiders are probably more shocking.

Going back to the original discussion, Regenerators are more creative than just modeling a tarantula/scorpion/snake and making it big. The series has come up with far more creative designs for enemies, and I encourage that. With that said, I actually wouldn't mind giant spiders coming back in some form just to add to a more robust line up of enemies. I was really bummed when the giant spiders and moth didn't return in RE2, but that's mostly because the bestiary was severely lacking compared to the original RE2. With that said, zombies, lickers, Mr. X and the G-Adults were made far more complex from a mechanical perspective--something we've seen with all enemies in the series as it has evolved.

Roni

Gold Member
You talking about very specific people with a very specific phobia. I could just as easily say that RE should have you fighting carrots for people with carrot phobias. Overall, I think the Regenerators are far more unnerving while giant spiders are probably more shocking.

Going back to the original discussion, Regenerators are more creative than just modeling a tarantula/scorpion/snake and making it big. The series has come up with far more creative designs for enemies, and I encourage that. With that said, I actually wouldn't mind giant spiders coming back in some form just to add to a more robust line up of enemies. I was really bummed when the giant spiders and moth didn't return in RE2, but that's mostly because the bestiary was severely lacking compared to the original RE2. With that said, zombies, lickers, Mr. X and the G-Adults were made far more complex from a mechanical perspective--something we've seen with all enemies in the series as it has evolved.
I'm talking about many specific people, with many specific phobias. And how amazing and simple it is to scare them when you work around stuff that exists in real life.

Get it now?

SuperGooey

I'm talking about many specific people, with many specific phobias. And how amazing and simple it is to scare them when you work around stuff that exists in real life.

Get it now?
It's more amazing when you can create something far more inspired that can make nearly anyone feel uneasy.

Ol'Scratch

I want to get hype for this so badly. Everything is there, I should be so into this. But those supposed spoiler twist from before the game was officially announced soured me on the whole thing. I hope I can build up hype anyway.

Top Bottom