• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Protect Me Knight (Mamotte Kishi) for 3DS Coming Soon

So do you remember the best Xbox Live Indie Game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTgGBimNHSM

I was thinking about that today and I decided to check up on Ancient Games.

Their English Twitter's last tweet was in 2010 (and a reply to me, heh).

But their Japanese Twitter had something from June 1st, 2014 about Mamotte Kishi and July 2014.

Google Translate murdered this one, so I wasn't thinking much about it.

Here's the tweet:
https://twitter.com/AncientGames_JP/status/473322872862044161

So I check their blog, it's a post from 2013, but the Google translate seems a little clearer and it appears to be saying something about a new version of Mamotte Kishi with new costumes and characters. So that had me a little more interested in what the tweet was saying (other that "website coming soon").

Here's the blog post.
http://ancgames.blog28.fc2.com/blog-entry-31.html

Can anybody help out with this? It could be nothing, but if it's something...... YES YES YES.

Ohh this is very exciting.

Hopefully it's more than a mere update though. The original game is almost four years old now.
Well, it could just be ports to some other systems now that everything has some form of self-publishing model? I'd still be okay with that, the game kind of got buried on XBLIG by having its title in Japanese (though it did stay in the Top Rated list for a good while).

Thores

Ohhh I love this game. I would be completely down for a sequel or even an upgrade of the original that I could play in the US.

Definitely my favourite thing to come out of XBLIG and one of my worries of losing it when they shut off Live for 360.

Would love an updated version on more platforms.

Well, it could just be ports to some other systems now that everything has some form of self-publishing model? I'd still be okay with that, the game kind of got buried on XBLIG by having its title in Japanese (though it did stay in the Top Rated list for a good while).

Well since PMK never showed up on Steam greenlight I'm guessing that option is out.

Not sure how I'd feel about a PS4/XB1 release since I own neither console..

I had a friend help look at the tweets and it's definitely talking about a new version of the game called "Minna de Mamotte Kishi" along with an additional, collaborative project. The July part is publication date of something that will contain additional details (a magazine I guess?).

I'll keep an eye on them at least.

takoyaki

I didn't understand all of it, but I think I got the gist of it:

the first tweet is talking about the July issue of the Enterbrain published magazine "歌ってみたの本". The magazine will have info on Mamotte Kishi, a new game and some sort of collaboration with a legendary "Let's Play" person. They are planning on releasing something that has to do with this collaboration as DLC [but I'm not sure if the DLC is for Mamotte Kishi or the new unannounced game].

There is a newer tweet where they talk about some confusion about the names "Mamotte Kishi" and "Minna de mamotte Kishi" because of how they've been referring to the game internally. The tweet ends with the vague statement that maybe somebody like Nintendo might be in the know about the proper name. [I assume the real name of their next game]

My guess is an eShop follow-up to mamotte kishi for WiiU or 3DS that will be called "minna de mamotte kishi", but I also suck at reading Japanese twitter ;)

I didn't understand all of it, but I think I got the gist of it:

the first tweet is talking about the July issue of the Enterbrain published magazine "歌ってみたの本". The magazine will have info on Mamotte Kishi, a new game and some sort of collaboration with a legendary "Let's Play" person. They are planning on releasing something that has to do with this collaboration as DLC [but I'm not sure if the DLC is for Mamotte Kishi or the new unannounced game].

There is a newer tweet where they talk about some confusion about the names "Mamotte Kishi" and "Minna de mamotte Kishi" because of how they've been referring to the game internally. The tweet ends with the vague statement that maybe somebody like Nintendo might be in the know about the proper name. [I assume the real name of their next game]

My guess is an eShop follow-up to mamotte kishi for WiiU or 3DS that will be called "minna de mamotte kishi", but I also suck at reading Japanese twitter ;)
Thanks for the extra confirmation/clarification.

I'll keep an eye on their blog and Twitter and post here if anything interesting comes out of it.

Also, here's a teaser image from their 2013 blog post, enlarged and the color slightly altered.

aIRw5RZ.png

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I absolutely love Mamotte Knight, so I'd love to see a sequel. Playing things like Shovel Knight and 1001 Spikes really put me in the mood to play it again, too. I was rather sad that Ancient didn't release any other games like it for the past few years...

Hope it gets a lot more exposure this time, be it a DLC, Remake, rerelease on new platforms, anything.

I would be down with this. I liked the first game a lot.
I like your avatar a lot.

I absolutely love Mamotte Knight, so I'd love to see a sequel. Playing things like Shovel Knight and 1001 Spikes really put me in the mood to play it again, too. I was rather sad that Ancient didn't release any other games like it for the past few years...

Hope it gets a lot more exposure this time, be it a DLC, Remake, rerelease on new platforms, anything.
Well, they certainly can't get any less exposure. >:-\

Once they actually reveal what's going on, I'll try to suggest that they team up with an indie friendly developer/publisher for any overseas release. I remember them mentioning a few times on their English Twitter that they didn't know how to get attention in the US (well, beside the obvious fact that their game was quickly buried on XBLIG thanks to the title issue).

takoyaki

There was a new tweet a few hours ago:

They said that they had plans to release their new game "Minna de mamotte Kishi" on July 16th, but for various reasons (the background music being chief among them), they had to push it out till the end of August. They are very sorry, hope their fans will understand, and they plan to make the game even better.

I'm not sure if the game or the platform have officially been announced yet, they probably did so in the July issue of that magazine they mentioned in the other tweet and plans have changed since publication.

It looks like it was supposed to come out on July 16th, but was delayed to late August because the new music is still being worked on.

Still no other details (new platform or update, etc.), but I'll keep checking every few days.

Or that's what I got from machine translations.

https://twitter.com/AncientGames_JP/status/485991574208139266

7月16日発売を予定しておりました新作のみんなでまもって騎士ですが、諸事情(主にBGM)により8月下旬に延期となりました。ご期待いただいた方々には申し訳ございませんが、さらなるパワーアップ(主にBGM)を行いご満足いただけるものを提供したいと思います。ご理解のほどお願いいたします

WOO, looks like someone beat me to it, thanks!!

New tweet.

https://twitter.com/AncientGames_JP/status/489335958525857793

Machine translation seems to indicate that the game is on track and they will be announcing details on the game little by little from here on.

Then it goes on about a name of something being a secret (Google indicates the game's name, but Bing seems more like they're talking about the princess).

新作「みんなでまもって騎士」順調に進行しております! こちらでも少しずつ情報を出していきたいと思います。アイコンは今作の姫です。少しふっくらした? 今まで名前なかったんですが、今作では名前があるんですよ。昔のファンタジーの姫って言ったら…やっぱこれかな?といういかにもな名前です。

Here is an MSX themed title screen (stage clear screen?) for Minna de Mamotte Kishi.

They are hinting that there will be several variations based on famous 8-bit machines.

Bt3KgMACIAEzQ0y.png

sörine

Banned
I just got my copy of the Untold History of Japanese Game Developers Vol. 1 and in it Yuzo Koshiro reconfirms the game. It's a sequel for 3DS with 4 player wireless by the original staff (Koshiro on music, Wada on everything else).

sörine;123682901 said:
I just got my copy of the Untold History of Japanese Game Developers Vol. 1 and in it Yuzo Koshiro reconfirms the game. It's a sequel for 3DS with 4 player wireless by the original staff (Koshiro on music, Wada on everything else).
Cool. Thanks for that, I'll summon a mod to change the thread title.

Top Bottom