• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW PS Plus Extra & Premium In Europe: Bad News For Premium.. Good For Extra

bjamin31

Neo Member
Can anybody tell me whether if you played a game via disc and then download the PS Plus version, will it appear as two separate entries on 'recently played?' on the PS5.

Calverz

As stated by another user the PS1 can be emulated on a Nokia brick phone in 2022 however the PS3 is still superior as it plays PS3 games natively.
Aye I know that. But duckstation on series x/s for ps1 games.
nCbkMb8.jpg

sachos

Aye I know that. But duckstation on series x/s for ps1 games.
nCbkMb8.jpg
Dude i really hope they keep improving the emulation quality, a "Disable Dithering" feature and a "Fix texture/polygon wobble" is a must imo. It also would be nice if they actually run the games in 4K and not 1440p...

Calverz

Dude i really hope they keep improving the emulation quality, a "Disable Dithering" feature and a "Fix texture/polygon wobble" is a must imo. It also would be nice if they actually run the games in 4K and not 1440p...
That would be good. The rewind function they hve is decent but syphon filter is 4:3 and with dithering and no texture correction. It really depends on the masses and whether Sony have the desire/need to implement these features.

sachos

That would be good. The rewind function they hve is decent but syphon filter is 4:3 and with dithering and no texture correction. It really depends on the masses and whether Sony have the desire/need to implement these features.
Yeah but the problem is that the masses don't know shit, most people don't know what is possible or what they may or may not be missing compared to more advanced emulation on PC. I bet most people emulating PS1 on PC are still using epsxe.
I would hope Sony to implement those features not because people are clamoring for it, but because they want a great product they can market and sell a service on.

yurinka

That's not a fix. Its a shitty hack that's likely to cause all sorts of weird issues on a per-title basis.

We're talking about simple single-threaded applications likely to be using vsync as a time-base for certain functions. You cannot simply assume 50/60hz is freely interchangeable, even if in many cases it is possible. Emulators get away with it because there's no specific warranty or expectation of flawless performance.

The worst part being that if I title was initially properly re-optimized for PAL its going to be impacted worse than if it was simply left as-is from the NTSC build.
Many emulators have a "60Hz patch for PAL games", and there were boot leader cds for PS and PS2 that turned pal games into 60Hz games that did work well in all games where I used it. So it must be something very simple that in most cases should work. But yes, the best would be to test it on a per game base and use it only in the cases where it makes sense: games made in USA or Japan (not in Europe) originally made for NTSC and later ported to PAL where they added something that makes worth to choose the PAL version instead of the NTSC one, like localization to more countries.

Yeah but the problem is that the masses don't know shit, most people don't know what is possible or what they may or may not be missing compared to more advanced emulation on PC. I bet most people emulating PS1 on PC are still using epsxe.
I would hope Sony to implement those features not because people are clamoring for it, but because they want a great product they can market and sell a service on.
Well, to be exact emulation is to keep the games exactly as they were. Extra enhacements to make the game look better than they originally were are a separated thing from emulation. But yes, let's hope they keep updating their PS1 emulation to add more stuff that would help the games look better. I assume that if PS1 games in PS4 and PS5 sell well and/or Premium becomes very popular or they see there's enough demand they'll invest more there.

We know that at least they are listening and taking steps: they did release a couple of updates for the PS1 emualtor and tried (and failed) to make a 60Hz patch for PAL games, and in addition to this they also mentioned that plan to release the NTSC version in Europe for most upcoming titles. So who knows, maybe they listed and adress more related related topics.

I'd also love to see extra/better CRT filters like the ones available in Retroarch.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Many emulators have a "60Hz patch for PAL games", and there were boot leader cds for PS and PS2 that turned pal games into 60Hz games that did work well in all games where I used it. So it must be something very simple that in most cases should work. But yes, the best would be to test it on a per game base and use it only in the cases where it makes sense: games made in USA or Japan (not in Europe) originally made for NTSC and later ported to PAL where they added something that makes worth to choose the PAL version instead of the NTSC one, like localization to more countries.

Its easy to bodge because the refresh frequency is external. Regardless of where in the world you are, the hardware itself behaves identically. The only difference is that the sync pulse arrives at either a 50hz or 60hz frequency, and you go from there. So in a PAL system you count 50 vsyncs to wait a second, 60 in NTSC.

Now if your code checks the system state at run and can accommodate either, its all good. But if you have region set as a #define and its a constant value of 50 or 60 within the compiled binary... Every variable that derives from that will end up mismatched if you force the display frequency in the emulation shell to an arbitrary value.

Its why you generally can't do a cheeky hack to simply halve the vsync frequency and force formerly 30fps games up to 60. Because everything will get sped up, and that's not what you really want because it simply won't feel the same.

Top Bottom