• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS VITA LED compared to PS Vita OLED. (Screenshot)

It has a bigger surface. That's bad.

It still uses glossy plastic instead of being matte like it should have been from the beginning. That's bad.

Screen differences will probably be even bigger, especially in motion. That's also bad.

So you're just going to disregard that it's 20% thinner?

And where do you even get your 3rd point from?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's kinda funny how everyone's ignoring this image

Yeah, it is kind of odd. We only have two images. One shows them to be more or less the same and the other shows the LCD to be slightly washed out. Perhaps reposting the good shot would be advisable just to give this context:

dniYX8f.jpg

sunnz

How much cheaper is the new screen for SONY do you reckon?

Surly it should be cheap enough for them to either:

1: make a good profit on each vita
2: lower the price even more if they want to

What's funny about this picture is the fact that we stare at IPS LCD on our smartphones all the time but have the luxury to see OLED and now IPS looks like shit. Seems like smartphone manufacturer fucked up. LOL the new iPhone 5S uses IPS LCD and I have no doubt some here will by it lol.

DigitalOp

Banned
Lightspeed thread...

Idk man...

It so sketchy... I think I just might cop a second OG Vita if this is truly replacing it....

That screen cant be compared man, It's Vita's secret sauce. When you see Killzone on that thing, You won't even try to talk about LCD anything.....

def sim

What's funny about this picture is the fact that we stare at IPS LCD on our smartphones all the time but have the luxury to see OLED and now IPS looks like shit. Seems like smartphone manufacturer fucked up. LOL the new iPhone 5S uses IPS LCD and I have no doubt some here will by it lol.

I don't think we know what type of LCD is on the new Vita just yet. Right?

shandy706

If you're looking at this on your computer monitor, how can you tell?

Do huh?

Looking at a picture comparison on a monitor doesn't disable the ability to see a difference in contrast and color.

The new screen looks more washed out...and tinted greenish. Even in the second example things like the floor is more washed out looking color wise.

Glass Rebel

Happy to have the OLED model, but the LCD model isn't all that bad either.

Nobody seems to complain about the 3DS's screen so I don't see the problem. Want OLED? Then buy the current unit. Want LCD? Keep sitting on the fence.

People complain about the 3DS screen all the time and Sony is discontinuing the OLED model in Japan. US and Europe will probably follow soon.

Well, there still should be some left stock for a while, I guess.

So you're just going to disregard that it's 20% thinner?

And where do you even get your 3rd point from?

No, I'm not going to disregard it but the bigger surface is a bigger deal than being thinner. The OG Vita isn't too thick.

The third point I get from seeing the Vita screen and LCDs in person.

Foshy

Image quality and colors are obviously better on the OLED. Could it be that the LCD screen attracts less fingerprints and has better visibility in the sun, though?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't look all that bad, it's just that the OLED is so damn good looking.

In terms of what matters for picture quality (black level, color saturation, motion response, viewing angles), there is no such thing as an LCD that matches OLED, let alone outclass it. It's pure fiction.

Can LCD get brighter? Sure. Can't beat LCD in its ability to burn your retinas off.

SAMOLED on the left, SLCD3 on the right 2.

gsmarena_001.jpg

what does it mean for the state of the vita when the same uncharted demo is on the demo units as 2 years ago?

isn't ragnarok odyssey ace just an enhanced version of the launch game? Is there reeaaaally nothing else Sony has to pimp out the vita?

Not sure what horrible thing you guys are seeing.

GAF hyperbole.

We can't really judge either way based on images from a monitor like this and without knowing the settings on the two are identical (for instance, I do most of my Vita playing in bed so I have the brilliance at minimum). I think I'll wait for more info from Sony (presumably at TGS proper?) or an analysis by someone like Digital Foundry. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things it will make little difference, and if it benefits Sony and the Vita in general then I don't mind at all.

You can't judge any of the characteristics he described with an offscreen, front facing comparison.

edit: to be more specific, a hands-on comparison is necessary

You can see black levels and color saturation

And anyone who's used an HTC One and a GS4 will tell you their screens are more or less the same.

Edit: and going by your logic, how is the shot in the OP fair?

def sim

You can see black levels and color saturation

Black levels and color saturation can be heightened to unreliable degrees from offscreen shots, especially with that dark background. The type of monitor we use to view the image also influences the comparison.

And anyone who's used an HTC One and a GS4 will tell you their screens are more or less the same.

Edit: and going by your logic, how is the shot in the OP fair?

There is a point to be made if you're saying people would not generally notice the differences between the two. That's a different argument, however.

I never said the pictures in the OP were any good. I mention they're unreliable in the other vita thread.

Baleoce

Not really going to judge it based on these pictures/conditions. Gonna wait for something a bit more concrete.

spwolf

Uncharted look fine on LCD... Seems like brightness is set differently though, so that could also be adjusted a bit and they would look pretty similar. Funny enough, red barrel in Uncharted is stronger color on LCD than OLED.

Price difference should be around $20-30 at most when it comes to manufacturing.

Looks pretty good for an LCD screen but colors are noticeably washed out a bit compared to the more vibrant OLED screen vita. Now, I feel less unlikely to buying a Vita 2.0 UNLESS i cant find an OLED screen vita no more.

It'd be nice to see how games would look in motion to see more of the comparisons.

No comparisson possible.The OG Vita OLED screen is by far the best portable screen i have evers seen, retina, HD or whatever.
Dem blacks on the OLED, SooGood!
No reason to upgrade at all then
Quite the downgrade
Yikes. Glad I have an OLED Vita.
Wow...OG vita looks way better.
As expected, the picture quality looks like garbage compared to the OLED model.
LCD looks crappy

OLED gives true blacks.
Zbv.gif

Yeah ok. Keep ignoring the green guys.

Is the new Vita bigger?

These screen comparisons would also be more...illuminating...if the systems were kept hidden.

The only comparison that matters is in motion side by side. That's one of the OLED's biggest advantages vs LCDs.

And probably it should be in person instead of through a compressed video.

shandy706

Still dont have access to create threads, but i would like to show something that i think is important.
Sony said that its releasing PS4 in 39 countries, one of them, Argentina. Well, i have the details from Sony Store now:

http://store.sony.com.ar/ar/site/ca...ectores&ProductCount=1&tabNum=1&id=CECH-3011B

+PS4 will cost near 1000 usd (860 euros / 6500 ARS Pesos)
+There are 10 (yes, 10) available units

10 consoles for an entire country?!

LOL

That's ridiculous. I assume all the big money/cartel people get them all?

marrec

Banned
ITT: Current Vita owners ignoring Uncharted comparison pic and reassuring themselves they got better vita.

The Uncharted pic clearly has the same color saturation that the Ragnarok pic does, the OG Vita is positioned in such a way that it's impossible to see the color clearly through the glare.

Those really cancel each other out. In one of those pics the LCD has a green tint, while in the other picture, the OLED has a green tint. I say it's probably better to see it in person.

Top Bottom