• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS2 revision... Doesn't play CD games anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDiave

Banned
I've been hearing that the new slim PS2 won't read CD-ROM based games anymore; Basically nothing from PSOne and none of the "blue-back" PS2 games. Any truth to this?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Goddamn there sure is a good smear campaign against the 70K so far.

According to rumors I've seen just this week, it's incompatibile with current memory cards, multitaps, CD based and PS1 games.

Deku Tree

dog$ said:
Goddamn there sure is a good smear campaign against the 70K so far.

According to rumors I've seen just this week, it's incompatibile with current memory cards, multitaps, CD based and PS1 games.

I think at least the multi-tap part is true. They're releasing a new slimmer multi-tap for use with the new PS2.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
There is no way it would be incompatible with CD games and PS1. It would require a very expensive hardware redesign on Sony's part to come up with a PS2 chipset that could still play DVD PS2 games but not CD games or PS1 games.

Incompatible with Memory cards is more likely, but would still be an incredibly poor business decision and again, would cost sony a lot more in R&D and manufacturing than simply keeping the 70K compatible with existing memory cards.

Where do all these rumors come from anyway?

Gattsu25

Banned
says me, everyone else seems to be doing it

I dunno...I'd actually like it if the PSTwo used Memory Sticks along with the PSP but alas...

:b

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Okay, let's make this easy to understand:

New PS2. Play all game. Have built-in ethernet modem. Small size. Not use hard drive. New PS2 GOOD. Lies BAD. Ugh ugh.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
It actually does work with Televisions, but only pre-Wega Trinitrons. If you use it on any other TVs, it will catch on fire.

:'(

BuddyC

On one hand, this is getting ridiculous. On the other, well, I want to see just how far people will go with it.

The Multitap stuff is true, by the way. We've known about that since it was announced.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Stupid filthy lies. Made by the same people who said it would need a new type of memory card, no doubt. It doesn't even make any sense.

Ranger X

By the way I heard the new PS2 is component only and that the progressive scan option as been removed to lower costs.

BuddyC

I have problems.

compare.jpg

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Sho Nuff said:
They removed Stereo as well, it's mono-only

Actually, they removed sound and only games with subtitles will work on the PSTwo, because of a law suit Sony lost against the American Coalition of the Deaf.

Dylx

that had to be the worst decision by sony why would you require us to buy new multitaps??

if i already had one why would i want another one. "Say goodby to multiplayer games"

Sony should instate a multitap buy back program (send in your old multitap get a new one free) or it should have came with four controller ports from the beggining

I should report that to the BBB thats is realy cheap on sonys part.

Actually, CVG wrote in their feature that it would require new memory cards, which is idiotic in itself. Then again it's CVG :)

BuddyC

Dylx said:
that had to be the worst decision by sony why would you require us to buy new multitaps??

if i already had one why would i want another one. "Say goodby to multiplayer games"

Sony should instate a multitap buy back program (send in your old multitap get a new one free) or it should have came with four controller ports from the beggining

I should report that to the BBB thats is realy cheap on sonys part.
In theory, it wouldn't be that difficult to retro-fit existing Multitaps by supply a type of adapter that would slightly extend the reach of the controller port to work with the PStwo. Now if it happens, well, that's another story.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Product Name: PlayStation 2
Color: Charcoal Black
Product Code: SCPH-70000 CB
Dimensions: 230mm (W) x 28mm (H) x 152mm (D)
Weight: Approximately 900g
Power Requirements: DC 8.5V
Electrical Current Consumption: Approximately 5.3A

Compatible Formats: PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, Audio CD, DVD-Video*, DVD-RW (VR Mode)

Interfaces: 2 Controller Ports, 2 Memory Card Slots, 2 USB Connectors, 1 Network Connector (100BASE-TX/10BASE-T), 1 DC In 8.5V Connector, 1 AV Multi Out Connector, Digital Out Connector (Optical), 1 Dual Shock 2 Analog Controller, 1 AV Cable (Integrated Audio/Video)

*The term "DVD-Video" is used to refer to DVD-R, DVD-RW (video mode), DVD+R, and DVD+RW discs.

There, settled. :)

cvxfreak

This new PS2 model was created because the U.S. told Sony that the old model was a threat to national security.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
trippingmartian said:
I hear it has a special Square-Enix lockout chip.

You sure you're not thinking about the PSP?

ZING!

Dujour

Banned
The only bad thing I heard is that the Duel Shock 2 doesn't vibrate and that the plastic that they make the buttons with gives you cancer after a few years, but nobody will play it for that long.

Isn't the new PS2 supposedly not compatible with some PS2 games? I remember Sony mentioning that, but there hasn't been a list yet...if any of the games I own are on that list I'll be pissed. If it's launch crap, I don't care then.

Pachinko

Or Dylx, if you have allready purchased a PS2 , just don't buy the smaller one. Is it really that hard a decsion ? Plus who the hell buys a PS2 for 4 player gaming ? get a fucking Xbox or gamecube

Arcticfox

Pedigree Chum said:
Isn't the new PS2 supposedly not compatible with some PS2 games? I remember Sony mentioning that, but there hasn't been a list yet...if any of the games I own are on that list I'll be pissed. If it's launch crap, I don't care then.
The hardware inside is exactly the same as the most recent version of the big PS2, just squeezed together more with an internal network adapter. The only games that could possibly be incompatible are the ones that require the hard drive.

Arcticfox said:
The hardware inside is exactly the same as the most recent version of the big PS2, just squeezed together more with an internal network adapter. The only games that could possibly be incompatible are the ones that require the hard drive.

Hmm, that'd be a-ok with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom