• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model pics leaked

PSOne looked like some shitty children's toy. But PS2 slim was and still is the shit.

53141809_1.png

Hey Sony, why can't you just make a bigger version of this?

Such a sexy console.

Ryoku

This looks like something a time machine from a couple of decades ago spit out. I don't get it. Since PS2, Sony has been making classy console designs. What is this hideous thing? New design philosophy?

thelastword

Banned
Translated
Well we shall see, but 16Gb wont be an HDD, which would mean that persons would have to buy an HDD just like they did for the 360 arcade units. If this is true it is clearly a move geared towards a low end pricepoint. In any case I'll wait on official details to see what this is all about.

onQ123

I wonder why they're remodeling it again. Trying to grab the last of the crowd that they can before the new generation? Will they be able to sell enough this late in the generation to cover the cost of producing all these?

PS2 sold over 50 Million after the Xbox 360 came out.

Jomjom

Banned
No, it's the perfect time. Make it as cheap as possible and sell the PS3 right along side of the PS4.

Yeah and if the PS4 is not compelling out of the gate just like the PS3 wasn't, this PS3 will hinder the growth of the PS4, just like the PS2 did the PS3. Also could substitute the PSP/PSV example in there as well. But hey if Sony wants to keep repeating history after 2 horrible console launches, they can be my guest. I love the Playstation as I own nearly 10 different pieces of hardware from the PS1 to now, so I would hate to see another poor console launch. I think that would be the end of Sony in the console business.

Not saying this should never come out, just that its way WAY too late.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

What would the benefit of this be compared to the a lid that swings open? Don't say low clearance, because if your PS3 has like 1 inch of clearance, this design isn't going to make it that much easier to get discs in and out of it because your hand has to fit in the space above the console.

We went from piano black to this nasty cheap plastic? Ugh. And the curves are all wrong too. And a 16GB model, are they serious? That's not even enough to fit an Infamous 2 digital download.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Kind of cool if that's a sliding top that you place the disc inside. Still not crazy about the ridge look regardless though, easier for dust to accumulate in there.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
But remember, that's bad because Microsoft did it with the so-called "tard pack". So this is still bad right?

It's less bad because you can use normal HDDs. Too bad their prices will be inflated for the foreseeable future.

It's also less bad because this is the end of the generation, so the existence of this model won't retard game development in any way.

It's still kind of a stupid time to do it, though, because Sony is currently expanding their full game downloads/PSN plus trials, etc.

Still, gotta hit that low price point.

But remember, that's bad because Microsoft did it with the so-called "tard pack". So this is still bad right?

No, because the 4GB pack is great. It was the 0GB pack was terrible as people had to buy 256MB card for loads of money (or 20GB drives for even more) just to save their progress in games.

ASIS

I said the same thing about the PS3 slim but it turned out alright in terms of design.

Not a fan of this right now, but i'll hold on until I see the model in good quality.

Jomjom

Banned

The only people who thought the Arcade was a bad idea were kids who didn't understand business principles or kids who received the actual consoles and had parents who refused to buy them a harddrive.

I don't know anyone reasonable who thought that was a bad idea for MS's business. Mass public doesn't easily understand feature disparity, but they can easily understand price disparity. The Arcade made it look like the 360 was way more affordable than the PS3 to the majority of people and I think that public perception has persisted regardless of the actual reality. Brilliant move on MS's part.

Jhriad

Thought it looked good until I scrolled down and saw the top. Ugh. I actually want to buy a new PS3 but the Slim is ugly as well as the disk drive being loud and that thing looks even worse. Come on Sony, give me a reason to give you my money again.

Top Bottom