• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model pics leaked

V_Ben

Banned
This is the thing right.

This is totally the thing. I don't think it'll be $199 though. It'll be $149, and come with 3 months of PS+. The higher cost models will come with PSN vouchers for Uncharted 1 + 2 or something...

It's going to look fine in person and in better pics.

People said the same garbage about PS3 slim when it leaked.

I'm more interested in pricing. 16GB version for sub-$199?

Or will they try and keep the 250 GB $250 and the 500 GB $300?

I think it'd be better if they did $169 16 GB, $200 250 GB, and $250 500 GB...but perhaps Sony can't afford a real price drop, so this is the next best thing...

DieH@rd

Banned
Any idea of size? And at 190w acording to the sticker any possible lithographic process reductions for the CPU and GPU?

Current slim spends ~90W at full utilisation, so 190W PSU is more than enough for whatever they are putting inside [and will run uber cool at <90W].

Both CELL and RSX are @ 40nm [i think], so there is room for shrinkage [probably one or both to 32nm].

Man

This is totally the thing. I don't think it'll be $199 though. It'll be $149, and come with 3 months of PS+.
I believe Elios is on the money. With Sony 'only' estimating 14m units for the fiscal year I would assume $199 is the price. And passing below $200 is by itself an important milestone.

Elios83

This is totally the thing. I don't think it'll be $199 though. It'll be $149, and come with 3 months of PS+. The higher cost models will come with PSN vouchers for Uncharted 1 + 2 or something...

The right pricing in 2012 should be 150$/200$/250$ but I don't think that they'll go lower than 200$ because they're not forecasting a significant lift in sales, something which a 150$ model would cause.
Also Microsoft has indirectly revealed yeasterday that they're not going to cut prices even this year, so yeah it seems like both Sony and Microsoft are complacently happy to keep their products in the 200$-300$ range. The only significant difference is that for the first time Microsoft has lost any price advantage it had over Sony, which might have an impact during the holiday season.

V_Ben

Banned
I believe Elios is on the money. With Sony 'only' estimating 14m units for the fiscal year I would assume $199 is the price. And passing below $200 is in itself is crossing a certain customer barrier.

That is a fair point. How much is the 4GB 360 in the US? I reckon SCE might want to undercut MS by a little bit at least.

Wait a minute: between 16GB of flash and a 160GB hard drive, what's cheaper? It's not like it's going to be a sixteen gig hdd, right?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I think it'd be better if they did $169 16 GB, $200 250 GB, and $250 500 GB...but perhaps Sony can't afford a real price drop, so this is the next best thing...

And some people still think it's ugly.

There's obviously a split opinion on whether the OG PS3 or the Slim is better looking. Nobody is going to think this revision is the best looking one. Because it looks like actual garbage.

That said, the price point and specs are the only things that actually matter.

AkIRA_22

Nah mate. The ribbed shit on top is disgusting and what appears to be a sliding disc cover is terrible. Top loader, what is it, a beta max?

The OG PS2 is still one of the best looking Consoles of the modern era (Post PS1). This... thing is an abomination. I'll stick with my PS3 slim (not that I'd have bought a new one any how) I certainly won't now.

But if it's cheap I guess people won't care what it looks like.

Elios83

What the hell were they thinking? What happened to PS3 fat mini?

But it looks like a PS3 fat mini:

yNrCq.jpg

They just made the center part ridged to make a top loading disc drive possible.

All comments on the design aside, is this model going to provide any spec upgrades (better heatsink, etc) over the current slim revision? Or just cheaper-to-manufacture build?

It should be noted that the original slims from late 2009 are different from the current revision...the current uses cheaper parts/plastics (for example, the silver part is now basic glossy black plastic now...beside build quality, a much shorter AC power cord is bundled with the new slims). This new revision could cheapen the build quality even more, with a lower pricepoint.

They just made the center part ridged to make a top loading disc drive possible.

Um not sure about that, looking at the side picture it even looks like there could be a layer of smooth transparent plastic on top of the ridged black plastic. Sliding systems don't usually expose the mechanism on the top side anyway.

It looks like a George Foreman Grill or UFO from the side. Why did they decide to make this design?

I don't know but it's hardly a new thing.
er8FX.jpg

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
That's a pretty horrible design, lol.

The original slim looks much nicer.

elektrixx

Banned
"Hey guys, we've got our hands on the PS3 revision."
"Quick! Find a camera phone from ten years ago and take a photo!"

Soon these awful shots will be via Instagram.

branny

Has anyone said that it reminds them of a cockroach yet? Because it kind of looks like that to me for some reason. =\

Elios83

Um not sure about that, looking at the side picture it even looks like there could be a layer of smooth transparent plastic on top of the ridged black plastic. Sliding systems don't usually expose the mechanism on the top side anyway.

My idea is that the the right (or top) part of the ridged thing will partially slide over the left part when 'eject' is pushed, uncovering the disc drive where we have to put the disc.
If you notice the right side looks a bit overhead.

hongcha

I have a hard time believing it will really look like that. It's such an ugly mess. The Vita and Slim are such elegant designs, how could Sony go from those to this?

Airgetlam

I really wish they would go back to the old glossy black with chrome trim (not the matte silver) like the original. Make that design slim and it would be the best looking console ever.

My idea is that the the right (or top) part of the ridged thing will partially slide over the left part when 'eject' is pushed, uncovering the disc drive where we have to put the disc.
If you notice the right side looks a bit overhead.

Yeah I agree, just saying I don't believe the ridges are needed to facilitate that.

Elios83

Yeah I agree, just saying I don't believe the ridges are needed to facilitate that.

Ah ok, I guess that a sliding mechanism with smooth curvy surfaces would have been difficult to implement and more prone to scratches. So they made them flat and ridged.
Other than that the thing is a PS3 FAT in miniature.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
That is a fair point. How much is the 4GB 360 in the US? I reckon SCE might want to undercut MS by a little bit at least.

It doesn't really need to since it has built in BD playback and free online. At the same price it is a much better value.

MYE

Okay, i made a top view

4L2PI.jpg

both views

M7ohn.jpg

BD disc scale might be off.
Thats it, i'm done with photoshop for today lol

Top Bottom