• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Slim model (CECH-3000B) cuts power consumption, weight, small cosmetic change

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/20/new_ps3_model/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

First word of a new "CECH-3000" model PlayStation 3 surfaced earlier this month. Now a retailer, claiming to have received a briefing on the new model from Sony, has passed along some details.

The CECH-3000B is an updated 320 gigabyte system. It cuts power consumption from 230W to 200W, and cuts weight from 3.0kg to 2.6kg. There are also some external changes to the power and eject buttons, along with the removal of LED lamps, although the retailer report isn't clear about the specifics for this area.

Pricing remains the same as the current model. The new version will be shipped to retailers once current stock runs out.

Mrbob

Here comes the price cut. Pricing only the same until Sony drops the price, which will be soon. August is my guess.

DiddyBop

This gen specifically shows that it pays to wait a few hrs before jumping in. Not only do new ps3 owners enjoy a much larger hdd and drastically reduced priced compared to launch owners, but they also have an ever growing library of great games from 20-40 bucks.

Sucks to have to sit through hours of patches and installs though.

Psi

dwebo said:
Nothing, hopefully, assuming the leds refer to those annoying blinking wifi/hdd lights.

I would think it means the power and eject buttons don't light up anymore.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Mrbob said:
Here comes the price cut. Pricing only the same until Sony drops the price, which will be soon. August is my guess.
Y2Kev said:
holy shit
Hahahaha, you can't argue with that reasoning.

I'll probably be picking one of these up. I still haven't had a PS3, and it's been looking more and more appealing. Or I might just hold out and spend my money on a Vita...

BKK

Wario64 said:
The CECH-3000B is an updated 320 gigabyte system. It cuts power consumption from 230W to 200W, and cuts weight from 3.0kg to 2.6kg.Pricing remains the same as the current model. The new version will be shipped to retailers once current stock runs out.

Most likely using a 32nm Cell then. Expect a price cut at Gamescom

Chittagong

Gold Member
Goddammit Sony, now we still won't know who will win the generation. First it was 360 leading with a huge margin, then BOOM Wii out of nowhere to the lead, Sony dropping last, then 360 back to the lead with Kinect, Wii to last place, 360 heading for the win for good but now Sony re-emerges with staying power and superb value with cheap PS3

Most confusing generation ever

Chittagong said:
Goddammit Sony, now we still won't know who will win the generation. First it was 360 leading with a huge margin, then BOOM Wii out of nowhere to the lead, Sony dropping last, then 360 back to the lead with Kinect, Wii to last place, 360 heading for the win for good but now Sony re-emerges with staying power and superb value with cheap PS3

Most confusing generation ever

maybe if you're an industry analyst

offshore

"It cuts power consumption from 230W to 200W"

Wait, what? I though power consumption was already under 100w on the current slims?

Sony needs to take that power supply out of the case and make a new truly slim version of the PS3.

I guess that will happen when it hits $199.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
pharmboy044 said:
Sony needs to take that power supply out of the case and make a new truly slim version of the PS3.

no uber-bricks please. I like my internal PSU.

Hyuga

Banned
Y2Kev said:
holy shit
happy0007.gif

E-DuB

If this is the case, and it launches in here for $200, I'll double dip. I never updated my launch 60 gig system past the update that got rid of OtherOS and I'd love to catch up on the games I've missed because of this.

Luckyman

Banned
offshore said:

Wait, what? I though power consumption was already under 100w on the current slims?

I guess he just looked at what it reads on the box.

Ubisoft already pre announced MS and Sony drops

MercuryLS

Banned
pharmboy044 said:

Integrated power supply for life. I hate the Xbox 360 power brick.

diddles

Banned
offshore said:

probably means the power supply dropped from a 230 watt spec version to a 200 watt spec one? doesn't mean that's what it's actually pulling from the wall at all times, just its peak output supported.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
DiddyBop said:
This gen specifically shows that it pays to wait a few hrs before jumping in. Not only do new ps3 owners enjoy a much larger hdd and drastically reduced priced compared to launch owners, but they also have an ever growing library of great games from 20-40 bucks.

Do they really have to wait for a lot of patches? I'm guessing the thing comes patched.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
DiddyBop said:

well of course, but that goes with everything. You still missed out on 4+ years of games.

Given the ~$200 million hit the PSN hack caused, can Sony still afford the price cut we all assumed was on its way this year? Or would the boost in software sales from more PS3s out there be able to offset the loss?

Anyone able to offer an opinion that's more than a guess?

FrankT

Wonder when this model will role out, ie, what week. Pricing the same seems a bit strange. Maybe deeper into fall before a cut.

Wireless N plz.

I've been wanting to upgrade for awhile now, given my refurb 60 gb's annoyingly loud fan (it was one of that bad batch that whines) and the insane amount of heat it produces. I'm waiting for wireless N and a drop to $199 to do that, though.

Truespeed

claviertekky said:
So now the PS3 only uses as much power as the first Xbox 360 (Xenon) back in 2005?

And yet they still have the engineering talent to package the power supply into the console.

makingmusic476 said:
Wireless N plz.

I've been wanting to upgrade for awhile now, given my refurb 60 gb's annoyingly loud fan (it was one of that bad batch that whines) and the insane amount of heat it produces. I'm waiting for wireless N and a drop to $199 to do that, though.

If it's wireless N I might get it. streaming HD video to the PS3 is nearly impossible now that I'm living in a new house and my PC and PS3 are not in the same room :(

Also....why don't we get nice things like this Satin Silver PS3

2132438998.jpg

Top Bottom