• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Slim model (CECH-3000B) cuts power consumption, weight, small cosmetic change

No_Style said:
Did we get confirmation on HDD LED being gone? Weird if true. So many titles say not to touch anything while the HDD light is flashing...

Nope thats still there just the green wifi LED is gone.

MYE said:
Its the casing expanding and contracting due to drastic change in temperature.

Yes it is from the case expanding and contracting from extreme heat changes. The original Slim and the 2500 both get very hot likely due to the internal power supply as most of the units are hottest across the top back of the console. The 2500 that I have with me, when fully heated up separates slightly in the middle of the top of the back so that you can actually depress it about a centimeter or so due to the case expansion.

The good news is so far I have no cracking/popping from the 3001-A even after being on for 4 hours (for reference the other Slims I have owned and tested all started popping a hour after being turned on). With another user confirming that his does not pop either that may have (finally) engineered this out. Worth noting that you can get the older slims to pop less if you loosen the bottom screws a half/whole turn on each.

No_Style

AgentOtaku said:
Green LED for network activity is OUT. So is LED buttons for eject/power.
Oddly enough, amber HDD LED is still in though.

Amber LED is the only one that actually matters because of the messaging that I mentioned and will probably remain until the next console generation.

JB1981 said:
My 60gb just died, need a new one. Will wait for price drop, hopefully it will be a good slim model.

You should be safe, from what I have seen of all the slims some people may like the current 3000 series the best. That being said I hope your 60GB will turn on long enough to do the system transfer (my favorite feature of the recent firmware upgrades) makes re downloading a thing of the past. With 31 PS1 games and 20+ network titles on top of installs and updates on my console it makes moving from one system to the next simple.

spidye said:
PICS please

Maybe I can help what do you want pics of?

Deadly Joker said:
If you don't mind me asking, why did you buy one now instead of waiting a couple of weeks for the price drop at Gamescom?

Good point, I am replacing my current slim because the blu-ray drive started acting up and I was in the middle of playing a bunch of games and wanted to get back to them (did not feel like waiting). Also kind of forgot about it (the drop that is), lol but its not like I am going to cry foul when/if that comes to pass. Unlike when something else got a price drop......lol.

TheBanditKing said:
Good point, I am replacing my current slim because the blu-ray drive started acting up and I was in the middle of playing a bunch of games and wanted to get back to them (did not feel like waiting). Also kind of forgot about it (the drop that is), lol but its not like I am going to cry foul when/if that comes to pass. Unlike when something else got a price drop......lol.

Politely email amazon if the price drops this month and they will adjust the price for you...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TheBanditKing said:
No problem, also worth noting that in the 4 hours I have had the 3001-A on there has been no plastic pop from the case and the unit actually feels cooler to the touch then the 2001A right next to it.
I don't think I've ever heard that plastic pop from my older slim. My TV is another story though. Does it almost always once after heating up and another time shortly after powering down.

BurningNad

Nice, I kinda REALLY want a slim model and this is just icing on the cake. Now to wait for the price cut and I'll be set.

BadWolf

Thanks for the info guys, will go for this one when the price drop hits.

Crakatak187 said:
I'm betting on 200 as well. 50 dollar drop wouldn't change the momentum much at all.

Ditto, some ppl are saying its not plausible because it won't be priced below the Vita but I don't see why a 4 or 5 year old tech can't be cheaper than a brand new cutting edge one, even if its a portable.

Pein

Banned
I hope there really is a price drop, my 60GB is still doing fine but I still don't wanna use it all the time.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So the new slims removed the power/eject white LEDs and the wifi one? Seems like a silly thing to take out.

Kagari said:
So the new slims removed the power/eject white LEDs and the wifi one? Seems like a silly thing to take out.

Power reduction and a cost reduction. I am ready for useless leds to be removed from electronics all together.

teiresias

Kagari said:

I dunno, I kind of like the fact that when it's playing a Blu-Ray there's absolutely no light coming from the unit itself.

I'm still on my "replaced once via warranty" 20GB launch unit, so these revisions are pretty much academic for me.

matmanx1

I honestly have no problem with the removal of extra LED's. If the new Tales of Xillia X Editions are the new 3001-A's (and they should be, right?) then I will be well pleased with less lights and a quieter, lighter case.

Oh and a price drop would be fantastic as well!

FLEABttn

Banned
If this thing is more quiet and cool than my 40 gig, I'd certainly consider trading mine in. It sounds like a god damned jet engine in the summer.

Might as well depending on how much you've played it in the summer. Probably reduced the lifespan considerably if you've played a lot.

oneils

DiddyBop said:
This gen specifically shows that it pays to wait a few hrs before jumping in. Not only do new ps3 owners enjoy a much larger hdd and drastically reduced priced compared to launch owners, but they also have an ever growing library of great games from 20-40 bucks.

Sucks to have to sit through hours of patches and installs though.

I still like my launch unit that has backwards compatibility with PS2 games. Upscaling of PS2 games is great.

So how can you tell if it's the new Slim or the old one? When one is shopping for it, I mean. Is there some kind of indication of the box?

Kintaco

My PS3s optical drive took a dump, was thinking of just picking up a Slim. But is there an imminent price drop incoming?

Majine

Banned
Kintaco said:
My PS3s optical drive took a dump, was thinking of just picking up a Slim. But is there an imminent price drop incoming?
Some signs point to Gamescom announcement. I'm waiting, if the pricedrop comes I'll replace my fattie who has become really loud.

If I remember correctly, the PS2 dropped to 279.99 from 299.99

I still don't see a reason for SONY or MS to drop the price below 299.99

They offer great value for 299.99

Massa

AuthenticM said:
So how can you tell if it's the new Slim or the old one? When one is shopping for it, I mean. Is there some kind of indication of the box?

You can tell by the model number, which is CECH-30xx for the latest model.

KingDizzi

Banned
My fatty PS3 at this point sounds like a Jet engine, it's fucking annoying. Conflicted on getting a slim if my fatty one bites the dust simply because it can't be too long until we see PS4, by that I mean 2-3 years tops right....RIGHT?! Hopefully my fatty one can stick around for another year but with all the games releasing this year (want to play like 8 games) it's really gonna have some strain put on it. :/

If it sounds like that all the time you should back up your data just in case. PS3 can die without giving any signs other then jet whirling sounds.

My 80GB MGS4 Phat is still going strong. It does get noisy when the fan ramps up, but I can't justify buying a new PS3 when my old one works just fine.

KingDizzi

Banned
It's been like that for well over a year now, within 3 minutes the fan kicks in and it's very distracting. I really need to get over GT5 not having online leader boards and just play the game fully at this point, it's the reason I got the console after all. Wayyyyyy too late in the game for me to justify getting another PS3 if my fatty dies, with Wii U releasing next year there is zero doubt in my mind the PS4 will release no later than 1-2 years after, if that.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm glad I took advantage of the $160 gift card deal when Target had that deal a couple months ago. Bought a slim for essentially $140 after converting the gift cards into cash and sold my 80 GB MGS4 PS3 for $225 on Craigslist just a few days ago. I made at least $60 just by replacing my PS3

JB1981

TheBanditKing said:
You should be safe, from what I have seen of all the slims some people may like the current 3000 series the best. That being said I hope your 60GB will turn on long enough to do the system transfer (my favorite feature of the recent firmware upgrades) makes re downloading a thing of the past. With 31 PS1 games and 20+ network titles on top of installs and updates on my console it makes moving from one system to the next simple.

Maybe I can help what do you want pics of?
It won't even turn on long enough for me to eject the Uncharted 2 disc that is stuck in there :(

matmanx1 said:
I honestly have no problem with the removal of extra LED's. If the new Tales of Xillia X Editions are the new 3001-A's (and they should be, right?) then I will be well pleased with less lights and a quieter, lighter case.

Oh and a price drop would be fantastic as well!

Yup the Xillia model was originally the first time we saw a 3001-A, the changes are not very noticeable in the pics they showed but you can see it has the indented SONY logo on the left side. Now that I think about it because the newer units removed more lights and the silver/clear accent piece around the buttons the console reminds me even more of the PS2. Pics incoming guys.

JB1981 said:
It won't even turn on long enough for me to eject the Uncharted 2 disc that is stuck in there :(

That sucks, I have never had any of my PS3's just fail on me like that. Not sure what to tell you either because Sony could get the disc out for you and likely transfer your stuff to a refurbed one but your never going to get a unit like yours back so it makes more sense to buy a new one.

They had a great deal that allowed you to trade in an old phat model and get a $200 credit on a new system and I waited too long. I hope they have it again in the future before my system starts to have issues.

Top Bottom