• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Slim model (CECH-3000B) cuts power consumption, weight, small cosmetic change

elektrixx said:
These things looks crappier and cheaper with every revision.

I can't think of too many game consoles (fat PS3 and PSP 1000 aside) that don't look cheap. Most are basic textured plastic with some silk screening on them. I am glad they got rid of the shiny black plastic parts on the new slim, it gets finger prints and scratches up too easily. I am always un plugging my consoles to dust and vacuum them (and the TV stand) so it made moving my other slim a pain, its why I prefer the cheap white 360 casing over the new one.

C_H_T said:
It's already out?
yes Amazon is shipping these for new orders now. Though I can't say for sure if they are completely out of the older model, it could depend on what warehouse it ships from.

Mr_Brit

Banned
How can it be quieter when it has a smaller fan? Can someone with the new model throughly test the system with varying loads to see how loud/hot it gets?

Mr_Brit said:
How can it be quieter when it has a smaller fan? Can someone with the new model throughly test the system with varying loads to see how loud/hot it gets?

I am working on doing just that. All I can tell you is that with both of them on for same amount of time while doing the same thing the 2501-A was louder then the 3001-A, in fact the 2501-A was all I heard when walking back into the room. I will be playing some games to test this more today, also despite a smaller fan the new unit does not get as hot to the touch.

mclaren777 said:
Thanks for the pictures!
no problem

I have a 60gb and a slim. The 60gb looks so classy and high end. The original 20gb with the all black finish was also pretty nice. But this thing looks terrible. Even the black Wii kicks it in the ass for style.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
FoxHimself said:
Seriously. Horrible look and finish. Oh well, not that I care deeply about these things anyway.

it's exactly the same. Find me a pic of good looking console that is terribly lit with bad flash photography.

Loudninja said:
It looks mostly the same...
The power and eject buttons no longer illuminate. That was actually pretty useful when playing in dimmer light and it looked kind of slick too. I don't think even the fat models had that feature.

Also worth noting that the blue LED above the disc drive eject button is no longer there, just the red/green above the power (did not notice this until now).

TheBanditKing said:
Also worth noting that the blue LED above the disc drive eject button is no longer there, just the red/green above the power (did not notice this until now).
Must have been one expensive LED.

Mr_Brit

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:
A buck saved over 20m units is $20m saved...
An LED is nowhere near a buck. Sony are cost saving in the worst way possible. You should never, ever, ever downgrade a fan.

Zoe

Mr_Brit said:
An LED is nowhere near a buck. Sony are cost saving in the worst way possible. You should never, ever, ever downgrade a fan.

Doesn't seem like it was necessary to have a larger fan in this case.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Draft said:
Ugh, the slim is so ugly. I'm going to be heartbroken when my phat breaks.

Yeah, happened to me a few months back. Feels terrible lol. But the Slim is pretty cool though.

alr1ght

i wish all electronics had no LEDs, or at least a way to turn them off (I'm looking at you, giant blue glowing DirecTV dvr).

Mr_Brit

Banned
Zoe said:
I didn't say it was necessary to increase the fan size but they didn't have to downgrade it. No one would have been disappointed if the fan was the same size. Whilst initial impressions from TheBanditKing are positive in regards to heat and noise, it still doesn't make it right.

Man

Mr_Brit said:
Whilst initial impressions from TheBanditKing are positive in regards to heat and noise, it still doesn't make it right.
In the eyes of God?

Wario64 said:
I think the Slims are much nicer than Fats. Matte > shiny fingerprint crap
+1. And don't forget the hilarious Spiderman tattooing.

alr1ght

Mr_Brit said:
I didn't say it was necessary to increase the fan size but they didn't have to downgrade it. No one would have been disappointed if the fan was the same size. Whilst initial impressions from TheBanditKing are positive in regards to heat and noise, it still doesn't make it right.

if it doesn't need it, why would they keep the larger fan?

Zoe said:

Agreed until I hear otherwise I do not notice any difference in the noise level on this newer unit, playing uncharted 2 now. This new unit has been on since last night and its nowhere near as hot as my previous slim nor does it seem any louder. Also still have not heard the annoying plastic pop after all this time.

Wario64 said:
I think the Slims are much nicer than Fats. Matte > shiny fingerprint crap

Agreed about the finish, that's why I am glad they removed most of the remaining shiny plastic with this new model. Electronics get crappy looking too fast with a shiny plastic finish, also wiping said finger prints off leaves scratches which also look terrible.

Man said:
In the eyes of God?

+1. And don't forget the hilarious Spiderman tattooing.
I think the spiderman font was nicer than this curvy ps2 style font they are using on the ps3 and vita now.

The whole shape of the console, it just doesn't look right from any angle. It has the look and feel of a cheap Chinese knockoff console. No effort at all put into the design, which is unacceptable for a Sony product.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Wasn't plastic pop already fixed? I have the 2500 model I think, or whatever model was the previous one, and have experienced no popping noises

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I guess I'm one of the few who prefers the look of the slim.

It's got a real minimalist feel to it. And I really like that it's basically all matte now as I can't stand the look of finger prints all over the place.

Mixed on the removal of LED. I can't stand them as they are a pain to look at in the middle of the night, but they were nice to have in general.

And the Spiderman font was awful. Not the biggest fan of the current logo but it's a million times better than the old one.

How much money is sony really saving by removing the LED lights and the shiny finish on the loading bay? It just seems stupid to me. It looks like a plastic fisher price toy. LED's are on electronics for a reason.

Revolver

Draft said:
Ugh, the slim is so ugly. I'm going to be heartbroken when my phat breaks.

My reflowed phat died again and I'm sick about it. I guess I'm going to have to give up the ghost and move to a slim. :( This gen has given me more heartache than any previous one. At this rate I'll have an ulcer before the next gen even starts.

Wario64 said:
Wasn't plastic pop already fixed? I have the 2500 model I think, or whatever model was the previous one, and have experienced no popping noises

Not that I am aware of. The 2501-A that I have along with this new one after a month exhibited the same popping sounds, I got use to it but when I first heard it do this it actually made me jump (I was half asleep lol). The 2501-X do it less then the original Slim but every unit I have come across up to now has done it. It could be the case materials but since the type of plastic did not change it could have been the way the internals sat, perhaps the fan and heat sink change eliminated this problem. Again you can lessen these pops by turning the bottom screws a half turn (this goes for TV's that do this as well).

H_Prestige said:
I think the spiderman font was nicer than this curvy ps2 style font they are using on the ps3 and vita now.

The whole shape of the console, it just doesn't look right from any angle. It has the look and feel of a cheap Chinese knockoff console. No effort at all put into the design, which is unacceptable for a Sony product.

I know where your coming from I expect a lot of quality from Sony products but the Slim is more in line with their previous consoles, the fat PS3 was more like their Bravia TV's and sound systems look and finish (and initially we paid for that luxury, most did not want to). You know though I have talked to people who found the fat's design and the way it worked (touch buttons and all) to be intimidating, like it was not user friendly like a console should be.

The curvy logo's are exactly what they look like, a throwback to their previous designs. I don't think anyone would disagree that the PS3 early on suffered from a bit of an identity crisis at retail. The new logo fixed that, and besides if the Vita is any indication the PS4 will be very nice looking and well made.

test_account

XP-39C²
Kung Fu Grip said:
How much money is sony really saving by removing the LED lights and the shiny finish on the loading bay? It just seems stupid to me. It looks like a plastic fisher price toy. LED's are on electronics for a reason.
No idea how much one LED cost, but it is not just about one LED though, it is about cutting small pieces many places and then they all add up :) Kinda like it is on racing cars to get the weight down, trying to cut weight everywhere possible (as long as it is feasable), from the car-body to the tiniest screw.

EDIT: What Fisher Price toy looks like a PS3 by the way? And yeah, LEDs are there to indicate something indeed, but they are not always necessary. It is not like you need a LED to know if you have a disc inserted or not. You can just check that on the XMB easily. Same goes for WiFi, you know if the internet connection works or not, no need to look at the LED for that :)

Mr_Brit said:
It should be fine to downgrade a fan if the system is cooler. Maybe the smaller fan + cooling ribs does the job just efficient as the previous Slim models. I think that the newest Slim models uses 32nm CPU (and maybe GPU as well?), while the older Slim models use 45nm.

test_account said:
No idea how much one LED cost, but it is not just about one LED though, it is about cutting small pieces many places and then they all add up :) Kinda like it is on racing cars to get the weight down, trying to cut weight everywhere possible (as long as it is feasable), from the car-body to the tiniest screw.

It should be fine to downgrade a fan if the system is cooler. Maybe the smaller fan + cooling ribs does the job just efficient as the previous Slim models. I think that the newest Slim models uses 32nm CPU (and maybe GPU as well?), while the older Slim models use 45nm.

I would be interested to know if thats true because that would explain the lower over all system temp that I am getting. I did not know or hear of Sony was moving to a 32nm already.

Sapiens

This thread makes me really anxious.

Hopefully, I can still find 2xxx models after the drop.

Please be 199.

SkylineRKR

Revolver said:
My reflowed phat died again and I'm sick about it. I guess I'm going to have to give up the ghost and move to a slim. :( This gen has given me more heartache than any previous one. At this rate I'll have an ulcer before the next gen even starts.

My phat ps3 YLOD'd at the end of last year. I hated the slim as well but when I placed it under the TV it didn't look all that bad. Its far less noisier too and supposed to be less prone to defects.

I'm cool with the Slim nowadays.

Rolf NB

TheBanditKing said:
I would be interested to know if thats true because that would explain the lower over all system temp that I am getting. I did not know or hear of Sony was moving to a 32nm already.
Do you have a Kill-A-Watt meter or something similar to hook this thing up to?

test_account

XP-39C²
TheBanditKing said:
It seems to only be rumor about 32nm. I did a quick search on Google and i found this:

http://www.connectedconsoles.com/ps...ted-smaller-fans-lower-power-consumption/3799 (it actually mention NeoGAF as source, so maybe all of this has already been posted in this thread. Although the source only points to a specific post where power usage is mentioned, i didnt see the picture there).

I dont think that this tells us too much though besides what has changed and that it uses a bit less power. It still remains to see how the durability is on the new PS3 Slim model compared to the older models.

Does anyone firmly believe that Sony will eventually introduce a model with wireless N? This is the only thing that is holding me back from buying a Slim. Seeing as Microsoft equipped their Slim with the technology in question, I figured it was only a question of when Sony would do the same thing.

Zoe said:
So which FW did it come with?

Rolf NB said:
Do you have a Kill-A-Watt meter or something similar to hook this thing up to?

No sorry I don't, I can only go off of what I can hear and feel (temp wise) compared to the other 2501 I have with me.

test_account said:
It seems to only be rumor about 32nm. I did a quick search on Google and i found this:

http://www.connectedconsoles.com/ps...ted-smaller-fans-lower-power-consumption/3799 (it actually mention NeoGAF as source, so maybe all of this has already been posted in this thread. Although the source only points to a specific post where power usage is mentioned, i didnt see the picture there).

I dont think that this tells us too much though besides what has changed and that it uses a bit less power. It still remains to see how the durability is on the new PS3 Slim model compared to the older models.

Yes it will be interesting to see but I'm not worried at all, it still on with no plastic pops and the unit is only slightly warm.

FLEABttn

Banned
TheBanditKing said:
Yes it will be interesting to see but I'm not worried at all, it still on with no plastic pops and the unit is only slightly warm.

What's the ambient temperature of the room it's in?
What game are you running?
How's the fan noise at this point?

Kung Fu Grip said:

They obviously save enough money as Sony isn't even the first console manufacturer who has removed LED's from console revisions. Sega removed one when they redesigned the Saturn.

test_account

XP-39C²
AuthenticM said:
Does anyone firmly believe that Sony will eventually introduce a model with wireless N? This is the only thing that is holding me back from buying a Slim. Seeing as Microsoft equipped their Slim with the technology in question, I figured it was only a question of when Sony would do the same thing.
Hard to say for sure, but if the Xbox 360 Slim had it from day 1 (and that console is about 1 year old now), i dont think that Sony will include it, at least not in the near future. Maybe if they release a PS3 Extra Slim model or something =)

TheBanditKing said:
Yeah, if it is quiet and feels about the same temp as the previous PS3 Slim models, then i wouldnt worry either :)

Zoe

AuthenticM said:

They never bothered to put G in the PSP...

AuthenticM said:
I don't know how much more it would cost, but this company thought it was worth it to drop a tiny blue LED, so I don't think they're in the mindset of adding things.

Also worth noting, Sony never updated the psp's wifi B. Not even on the psp go.

matmanx1

Keep in mind that lower weight always translates into cost savings for the manufacturer. Thet have to pay to have these things shipped (both the raw components and the final product) so removing grams of weight times 15 million consoles is certainly significant.

Besides, if we get a price drop out of this new model due to some of these changes then it is a win/win for everyone.

Top Bottom