• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

OCD Guy

We'll see if the urge to play Bloodborne and Metal Gear trump this.

I'm dying to pick one up too, but worst case scenario is you can pick one up in just over a month when metal gear solid, and the destiny ps4 is released.

It's worth waiting for a quieter version in my opinion.

ramyeon

I bought the current model just before this one was announced and I have no regrets. I don't think it's noisy at all.

OCD Guy

I bought the current model just before this one was announced and I have no regrets. I don't think it's noisy at all.

There's defintely a variance in sound, plus certain games cause the fan to get louder than others.

Killzone for example causes the fan to ramp up.

I went through a few ps4s and would rather wait, as the new revision specifically states it is quieter.

However if I still had my launch ps4 which was quiet then I'd have no interest in this new revision either.

ramyeon

There's defintely a variance in sound, plus certain games cause the fan to get louder than others.

Killzone for example causes the fan to ramp up.

I went through a few ps4s and would rather wait, as the new revision specifically states it is quieter.

However if I still had my launch ps4 which was quiet then I'd have no interest in this new revision either.
I'm not doubting that some people experience this.

However, I played through both Ground Zeroes and The Witcher 3 which, according to a thread on here, are "hairdryer" level noisy when played on PS4 and I noticed nothing despite usually being quite sensitive to these things.

OCD Guy

I'm not doubting that some people experience this.

However, I played through both Ground Zeroes and The Witcher 3 which, according to a thread on here, are "hairdryer" level noisy when played on PS4 and I noticed nothing despite usually being quite sensitive to these things.

I'm agreeing that there are quiet units. I bought a black one on launch, and traded it in for a white one, BIG Mistake. It honestly sounded like a hairdryer.

My launch unit was very quiet.

OCD Guy

Mine is a White 1102A.

I think the fan variance is down to the thermal paste application, and it's luck of the draw whether you get a quiet one or loud one.

Just to clarify I wasn't saying that white ones are louder, just that I exchanged a quiet ps4 and ended up with a loud one :(

MicDrive

Neo Member
Good news!

The CUH-1216a version is available in europe. In the Netherlands exactly. I've bought mine yesterday at mediamarkt in Rotterdam. Some other users at the tweakers.net forum spotted te new version across the country in other mediamarkt stores.

I try to post some pictures of my console as soon as possible.

Good news!

The CUH-1216a version is available in europe. In the Netherlands exactly. I've bought mine yesterday at mediamarkt in Rotterdam. Some other users at the tweakers.net forum spotted te new version across the country in other mediamarkt stores.

I try to post some pictures of my console as soon as possible.

Is the box art different?

actually the box art is slightly different.. at least in Japan. On the new box the console is placed in the centre.

old one:
9051-43092-thickboxk1p7p.jpg

new one:
ps4-1200-px-bild10-81rdpzk.jpg

Vashetti

Banned

It won't be noisy because you've just opened it.

My launch model was virtually silent too, nowadays the fans ramp up really loud on most games. They build up with dust and the thermal paste dries out.

We need to wait for the Slim and hope they redesign the air intakes on the sides so they are not so prone to filling with dust.

Well, I know this sounds weird but I have super sensitive hearing. I use "extreme protection" hearos earplugs all the time and I can still hear background noise.

It's definitely wise to wear earplugs at concerts, bars, etc. but if you wear them all the time (at home) your hearing will only get more sensitive. Your brain starts to perceive the muffled state of hearing as normal.

I have hyperacusis and tinnitus so I definitely sympathize. Listening to pink noise at a low level for long periods helps with the sensitivity.

MicDrive

Neo Member
I started to hesitate when I was at the mediamarkt because the boxart had elements of the new and old boxes. But the box clearly stated CUH-1216a, was mat black and the seller asured me that they do not rebrand consoles (like they somethimes do with HD-tv's).

OCD Guy

I'm jealous.

Did you go in there and ask them?

The new box doesn't have a handle does it? The original or rather the older revision has a white handle on the box, so that's a way to tell from a distance, obviously you can just look at the model number written in the box, and also the image clearly shows a matte I steady of shiny hard drive cover.

I wonder if the U.K has it yet,

Out of interest is it quieter than the original PS4, or is this the first PS4 you've had?

OCD Guy

UK GAF ATTENTION CUH-1216A NOW AVAILABLE AT GAME UK IN STORE.

BOX HAS NO HANDLE, MATTE CONSOLE ON FRONT AND CUH-1216A ON BOX.

I'll be picking mine up today, will post feedback on noise, pictures etc

OCD Guy

What's the price G?

I didn't ask. I called 0208 363 7509 (game) based in Norh London and got one of the guys to look at the boxes out the back, he thought I was a bit odd lol.

Feel free to call them, game deals are the same nationwide in stores. I'm assuming the prices are no different, it's not being launched as a new model as such, only the 1tb (which is the old revision) is priced as a more expensive "new model".

The store told me that their last stock shipment contained the new batch. I asked him to check the model number, once he confirmed it I clarified the lack of handle on the box, and he stated the matte picture too (which we knew anyway)

Highwind

I didn't ask. I called 0208 363 7509 (game) based in Norh London and got one of the guys to look at the boxes out the back, he thought I was a bit odd lol.

Feel free to call them, game deals are the same nationwide in stores.

Nice. I live in North London (Enfield).

I'll be in town so I'll swing by.

OCD Guy

Nice. I live in North London (Enfield).

I'll be in town so I'll swing by.

Well what a small world, Enfield is my local game lol.

They close at half 5. Hate going to the palace gardens shopping centre, traffic on A10 is always fucked especially on. Friday afternoon, but I need that console lol

If you get a staff member that tries acting dumb, ask for Gareth, he'll know what you're talking about.

ta155

My plan is/was to trade in my launch model for a white version of this new one. Seems like with it not being treated as a big new redesign the staff in Game might give me an odd look if I walk in and ask for that deal...

OCD Guy

My plan is/was to trade in my launch model for a white version of this new one. Seems like with it not being treated as a big new redesign the staff in Game might give me an odd look if I walk in and ask for that deal...

You won't look dumb at all, you're trading in because you want a white one if they try and give you a funny look.

To be honest who cares what the staff think anyway. The guy probably thought I was nuts when I started telling him to check th box out the back and explaining everything.

Their average customer wouldn't do that, but I'm pretty awkward, if they bring a box out with a dent or something I'm the type that asks them to go out back and get me a better condition one (yes I'm ocd lol)

If they bring out old stock, just ask them to check if they have boxes without a handle, that'll be easier than trying to get them to check for cuh-1216a if they try and act awkward. Just be straight and tell them you want the new revisions as its completely matt.

To be honest most of the staff won't give a shit, they might give you a funny look for a couple of seconds, but some will probably be happy for the info, as they'll probably have no clue about the new completely matte one,

Highwind

Well what a small world, Enfield is my local game lol.

They close at half 5. Hate going to the palace gardens shopping centre, traffic on A10 is always fucked especially on. Friday afternoon, but I need that console lol

If you get a staff member that tries acting dumb, ask for Gareth, he'll know what you're talking about.

Small world indeed. :p

Will do. Thanks for letting me know.

So we can assume most of Europe will be covered in the next few days then.

Time to sell my Destiny bundle. Goodbye old friend, you have served me well.

OCD Guy

Holding out for Amazon and their superior customer service!

For all we know Amazon may already have the stock in their warehouse, I wouldn't risk them yet though, as on the UK site they aren't differentiating between the "c chassis" and older "b chassis" like Amazon Italy, and there's no way of getting the warehouse to pick you out a specific one.

I'd be intrigued to know how much "old" stock is actually sitting out there, I'm sure they've stopped producing it for some time now.

MicDrive

Neo Member
The box didn't have a handle. It's my first PS4 but I have a friend who has an 1100 version, mine is quieter.

I'm jealous.

Did you go in there and ask them?

The new box doesn't have a handle does it? The original or rather the older revision has a white handle on the box, so that's a way to tell from a distance, obviously you can just look at the model number written in the box, and also the image clearly shows a matte I steady of shiny hard drive cover.

I wonder if the U.K has it yet,

Out of interest is it quieter than the original PS4, or is this the first PS4 you've had?

Decider

For all we know Amazon may already have the stock in their warehouse, I wouldn't risk them yet though, as on the UK site they aren't differentiating between the "c chassis" and older "b chassis" like Amazon Italy, and there's no way of getting the warehouse to pick you out a specific one.

I know. I'm holding out until Amazon definitely start selling them.

OCD Guy

Will the Destiny TTK bundle have the new model or will it be the old one?

The destiny TTK and Metal Gear Solid limited editions will both be the latest revision. Buying either of those is a 100% guarantee of having the latest revision.

Felensis

Banned
Guys, currently I'm experiencing heat issues with my original PS4 which I've got last christmas.

Currently its very warm where I live (25 °C - 35 °C) plus I have a new TV bank with two spaces below the TV to place electronic devices. In one sits my Wii U which is whisper quiet and hardly gets warm while in the other my PS4 sits and nearly is starting like a rocket flying to the moon. There are 6 - 10 cm space to each side of the PS4, but even if I'm in the menu the thing gets louder as the original 360. It's literally like a hair dryer and loud as fuck. The whole space is filled with warm air and when touching the PS4 it isn't hot, but very warm. I started Rocket League and literally had the impressioned that the console is melting away or starting flying to the moon...

Today I've bought the vertical stand and will lift it on top of the TV bank, but that is not like it was intended for. At this point I'm quite disappointed. Last year I had an Xbox One and while everyone was joking or complaining about it's VCR design, the thing was whisper quiet and didn't get warm nor loud during last summer. PS4 looks really good design-wise, but now I see that the smaller form factor and the included power supply comes at a cost... I really fear that it will get damaged if I let the console where it is right now.

Is the new model with its slightly lower power consumption worthy to upgrade or won't it bring much improvement?

OCD Guy

might have to switch if it's considerably quieter.

I'm hoping it is, I'll be pissed off its not.

First game I'll be putting on is Killzone Shadowfall.

Is the new model with its slightly lower power consumption worthy to upgrade or won't it bring much improvement?

Honestly It's too early to tell not enough people have their hands on one yet, reports are that it is indeed quieter by about 6 decibels, but I'm sure like with any electrical product there will be slight variances between units. I'm sure some will be quieter than others, but generally they should be quieter than the older revision.

Once more people start getting them, especially those that have posted about noise issues before with their older revisions, will you start to get a better idea.

Azzawon

UK GAF ATTENTION CUH-1216A NOW AVAILABLE AT GAME UK IN STORE.

BOX HAS NO HANDLE, MATTE CONSOLE ON FRONT AND CUH-1216A ON BOX.

I'll be picking mine up today, will post feedback on noise, pictures etc

Payday is coming, best start preparing for my new PS4!

Top Bottom