• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model with 1TB HDD incoming

Conduit

Banned
FCC just certified it :

tuvzODJ.jpg

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...d=rHKTPKB2ImYOlpZY6S4XZQ==&fcc_id=AK8CUH120Z1

Man

Would be cool if they announced a network-only (non-BD) alternative version at some point.
In that case 1TB should be the starting point imo.

edit:
Maybe?
Looks like the bluray drive might have been removed.

It's 300 grams lighter, uses 200 less mA, and uses 20 less watts according to the other image. Those line up practically perfectly with the specs of a disc drive.

Pretty much required since external storage isn't possible. PS3? Would be fine unless you own tons. PS4? Have fun deleting games all the time.

HUELEN10

I wonder if this new SKU will allow users to add storage to the console. It would definitely make my PS4 purchase an even better value if they added the functionality both of its competitor consoles have had for the longest time.

Abriael

Banned
Forgot 0.3 KG lighter and with a 230 W power source instead of 250 W.

It doesn't seem to be a redesign, tho, just internal change, as they incremented the second digit of the product code and not the first.

Einbroch

Banned
$349 - 500GB, TLOU bundle, standard unit.
$399 - 1TB, "special" bundle (your Assassin's Creeds, your Far Crys), elite unit.

Kayant

Forgot 0.3 KG lighter and with a 230 W power source instead of 250 W.

It doesn't seem to be a redesign, tho, just internal change, as they incremented the second digit of the product code and not the first.

I guess it being lighter comes from the slimmer/smaller PSU?

jjonez18

E3 announcement imminent. Feels like they've been pushing the vanilla model for ages. Time for some more options.

Abriael

Banned
I guess it being lighter comes from the slimmer/smaller PSU?

Possible. Unfortunately FCC documents give really detailed info only on radio equipment.

The size is exactly the same, though, so it's unlikely that it's a "PS4 slim" (and if it was a PS4 slim it would probably be numbered CUH-2015a).

HUELEN10

Okay, I don't own a PS4, will one day, but not until next year at the earliest. I want them to add the ability to add storage so badly. That being said, how exactly does data management work. Can you full install any game before playing, can you make it so you manually delete and install every game? How is save data handled if you do not and will not get Plus?

barit

Pretty much required since external storage isn't possible. PS3? Would be fine unless you own tons. PS4? Have fun deleting games all the time.

Why external storage when you can put any 2.5" HDD directly into the PS4? Way better solution imo and you can improve loading speed aswell with SSHD or SSD. But nice FUD thanks

LewieP

No way there will be a price cut. This will be the higher end model.

It's an obvious/simple way to have a model they can charge more for, but it's not really an irritation for early adopters, since it's so easy to upgrade.

I'm a little surprised it took this long.

Edit: There will be no other changes to the hardware. It is just going to be swapping the 500gb drive for a 1tb one. It's going to be a decision driven by wanting to make more money, and it has basically no drawbacks. There will be minimal additional cost added to the manufacture process.

Vena

Why external storage when you can put any 2.5" HDD directly into the PS4? Way better solution imo and you can improve loading speed aswell with SSHD or SSD. But nice FUD thanks

Unless you are incredibly wealthy to afford some enormous storage medium disks (or terabyte sized SSDs), the ever expanding size of games is going to eat through even terabyte sized platter drives in short order. Since the PS4 does not have multiple 2.5/3.5" drive bays, its obviously rather hard to keep up with a singular drive unless you do delete games (or just buy less of them, I guess). External storage helps to alleviate this by giving you swappable storage.

$349 - 500GB, TLOU bundle, standard unit.
$399 - 1TB, "special" bundle (your Assassin's Creeds, your Far Crys), elite unit.

Still would be too expensive. $350 isn't enough of a price drop to bring the more casual gamers on board. Needs to hit that $299 sweet spot, and the difference in price between 500gb and 1tb is almost nothing.

$299 1tb with a game (tlou or something else from their 1st party portfolio).

HUELEN10

Why external storage when you can put any 2.5" HDD directly into the PS4?

Because the bay already has a drive in it. You cannot add storage to a PS4, only replace it. I buy a TB HDD and Its a better value if I were to use it on my One or U because I am adding a TV; if I use that same disk one PS4, I have to remove the stock one, and am only gaining .5 TB, reducing my value by half!

That and isn't the PS4 Sata 3, making USB 3.0 faster? USB support also means keep adding disks, and never delete a game again.

Why would you NOT want to be able to add storage to your console, specially when both competitor consoles do just that?

belmonkey

Check the retail price difference between 500gb and 1tb 2.5" drives for the answer.

^ Probably that. I don't think the difference in price will matter much for the consumer; it's probably like a $10 difference tops between 500GB and 1TB.

Einbroch

Banned
Still would be too expensive. $350 isn't enough of a price drop to bring the more casual gamers on board. Needs to hit that $299 sweet spot, and the difference in price between 500gb and 1tb is almost nothing.

$299 1tb with a game (tlou or something else from their 1st party portfolio).

That's not gonna happen. They're not desperate, they just want to keep their lead.

The XBO dropped $50 and people scooped that up like crazy. Sony doesn't need to have a fire sale, but a $50 price drop while offering a "one-and-done" $399 package would be a good move.

Vena

Because the bay already has a drive in it. You cannot add storage to a PS4, only replace it. I buy a TB HDD and Its a better value if I were to use it on my One or U because I am adding a TV; if I use that same disk one PS4, I have to remove the stock one, and am only gaining .5 TB, reducing my value by half!

That and isn't the PS4 Sata 3, making USB 3.0 faster? USB support also means keep adding disks, and never delete a game again.

Why would you NOT want to be able to add storage to your console, specially when both competitor consoles do just that?

SATA2, no?

Caayn

Okay, I don't own a PS4, will one day, but not until next year at the earliest. I want them to add the ability to add storage so badly. That being said, how exactly does data management work. Can you full install any game before playing, can you make it so you manually delete and install every game? How is save data handled if you do not and will not get Plus?
Game installs are fully automatic you can't intervene outside of removing the install source(eject disc/disconnect). You can manually delete every game. Physical games only require a few seconds before the install has processed far enough to be played. Once a game reaches that point the installation is hidden from the users view.

playXray

As someone whose had a PS4 since launch, I don't really agree, since I put a 1TB HDD in on day one. I think I've used about 600GB so far, and not had to uninstall anything. Got loads of games on there and plenty of room left. 1TB is plenty enough for now.

If I need to upgrade in the future I'll just stick a 2TB drive in there.

Looks like the bluray drive might have been removed.

It's 300 grams lighter, uses 200 less mA, and uses 20 less watts according to the other image. Those line up practically perfectly with the specs of a disc drive.

HUELEN10

Game installs are fully automatic you can't intervene outside of removing the install source(eject disc/disconnect). You can manually delete every game. Physical games only require a few seconds before the install has processed far enough to be played. Once a game reaches that point the installation is hidden from the users view.

Wow, I really don't like that. So there is no way to play a game without the drive constantly spinning save for a verification spin? What about if you wait like an hour before playing?

Thank you for answering the questions though, helps me a out a lot in what to expect when I get mine for Uncharted 4.

Caayn

Wow, I really don't like that. So there is no way to play a game without the drive constantly spinning save for a verification spin? What about if you wait like an hour before playing?

Thank you for answering the questions though, helps me a out a lot in what to expect when I get mine for Uncharted 4.
Don't know what happens when you just let it sit there. Never tried that. But the drive is not that loud and the noise produced is easily drowned by the sound from the game.

Top Bottom