• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 Console Seemingly Teased by Sony

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a new discussion with Famitsu, Sony VP Hideaki Nishino seemed to subtly indicate that a new PS5 console could be dropping in 2023. When asked about whether or not the third year of the PS5 could be as big as the third year of the PS4, which is when Sony released the PS4 Pro, Nishino stated that the coming year will be "very important" for the latest PlayStation console.

"We believe that cumulative sales will exceed 37 million units by the end of fiscal 2022, and that it will be a very important time for the platform as well," Nishino said. "I won't be able to talk about specifics at this time, but I hope that you will look forward to next year (2023)."

Again, it's worth stressing that Nishino didn't specifically mention that a new edition of the PS5 is set to release next year, but the fact that he didn't shoot any such notion, especially when compared to the trajectory of the PS4, is noteworthy. For now, we'll have to continue waiting to hear more from Sony when it comes to this reported new PS5, but it seems like early 2023 could bring with it some clarity. CES 2023 is set to transpire in early January and Sony will be attending the massive electronics event in a notable capacity. Perhaps at this venue, we'll learn more about what Sony has in store with the PS5 throughout 2023.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Gimme a pro

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

In a new discussion with Famitsu, Sony VP Hideaki Nishino seemed to subtly indicate that a new PS5 console could be dropping in 2023. When asked about whether or not the third year of the PS5 could be as big as the third year of the PS4, which is when Sony released the PS4 Pro, Nishino stated that the coming year will be "very important" for the latest PlayStation console.

"We believe that cumulative sales will exceed 37 million units by the end of fiscal 2022, and that it will be a very important time for the platform as well," Nishino said. "I won't be able to talk about specifics at this time, but I hope that you will look forward to next year (2023)."

Again, it's worth stressing that Nishino didn't specifically mention that a new edition of the PS5 is set to release next year, but the fact that he didn't shoot any such notion, especially when compared to the trajectory of the PS4, is noteworthy. For now, we'll have to continue waiting to hear more from Sony when it comes to this reported new PS5, but it seems like early 2023 could bring with it some clarity. CES 2023 is set to transpire in early January and Sony will be attending the massive electronics event in a notable capacity. Perhaps at this venue, we'll learn more about what Sony has in store with the PS5 throughout 2023.
nani GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Gimme a pro

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office
god I hope not. Pro console 3 years after launch of a console, for which like 5 next gen game came out?
Are you kidding me?
The console is hard to get and was 75% crossgen.... too soon for pro consoles. Besides, not like they can upgrade uch. Cpu and ssd are both fine and I can't see them upgrading GPU alone and asking for a lot more money.

TBH even slim feels a bit like a scam after 3 years of crossgen...

lachesis

Make it half the size right now with more stable form factor at horizontal stance - and I'll be happy. I may even be tempted to replace my launch PS5.

splattered

But i just bought the GOW bundle.... ugh. If they announce a pro or even slim with performance improvements i'll sell the big fatty locally and just wait for the new console to drop.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
As far as the US goes I don’t know HOW someone who wants a ps5 cannot find one. Sony had them just sitting on their web store all of last week, my local Best Buy, Target, and Walmart have them on shelves. I was in Best Buy this afternoon and they had 25 just at the front of the store when you walk in.

Seriously, if someone wants one and will pay the shipping just freaking DM me…:this constant bitching about not being able to find a console stems from laziness NOT a hardware availability shortage.

Justin9mm

If it's anything to do with a new console, it would probably be a revised slimmer digital version coinciding with the release of the optional plug-in disc drive.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Not exactly sure what a Pro version would accomplish? Can probably count on 1 hand the games that push the PS5. Bulk of PS5 games are just more stable PS4 games.
House said Sony had internal data that shows people start leaving the consoles at about this point in favor of PC having new tech and thus they made the PS4 Pro hoping to keep people in the Playstation ecosystem

Thats it, just a bottom line thing

fart town usa

Gold Member
House said Sony had internal data that shows people start leaving the consoles at about this point in favor of PC having new tech and thus they made the PS4 Pro hoping to keep people in the Playstation ecosystem

Thats it, just a bottom line thing
Any thoughts on what a Pro would improve outside of the potential for 60fps in 4k Quality Mode?

Hard for me to picture what a Pro would improve on cause I feel like we haven't even come close to what the PS5 can do.

Matt_Fox

Last time Sony announced the PS4 Pro in September and released it in November. Just two months between announcement and release.

Why so short? Because they don't want to hurt sales of the base console. They dont want people holding off their purchase.

If a PS5 Pro does happen then expect them to keep tight lipped about it for as long as possible for the same reason.

Beechos

Every year is an important year for big companies. They're always trying to better the numbers they did last quarter/year. To take this as a new console launch is comical.

ReBurn

Gold Member
So he never said it wasn't happening so there's a chance it could be happening? This is so confusing.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
2023 will see the release of the PS5 Slim Digital with an optional optical disc drive for sale as a standalone. This way, it's one console Sony has to manufacture instead of two. PS5 Pro will be Fall 2024.

Top Bottom