• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 Console Seemingly Teased by Sony

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"We believe that cumulative sales will exceed 37 million units by the end of fiscal 2022, and that it will be a very important time for the platform as well," Nishino said. "I won't be able to talk about specifics at this time, but I hope that you will look forward to next year (2023)."

I don't see how folks are extrapolating new hardware from this ..

proandrad

Imagine getting quality and performance mode at the same time.
Futurama Buy GIF

Ceadeus

Why a pro?! Devs can't even keep up the pace. What are 150TFlops gonna be worth if there's only indy stuff coming out , Jesus

[/URL]

In a new discussion with Famitsu, Sony VP Hideaki Nishino seemed to subtly indicate that a new PS5 console could be dropping in 2023. When asked about whether or not the third year of the PS5 could be as big as the third year of the PS4, which is when Sony released the PS4 Pro, Nishino stated that the coming year will be "very important" for the latest PlayStation console.

"We believe that cumulative sales will exceed 37 million units by the end of fiscal 2022, and that it will be a very important time for the platform as well," Nishino said. "I won't be able to talk about specifics at this time, but I hope that you will look forward to next year (2023)."

Again, it's worth stressing that Nishino didn't specifically mention that a new edition of the PS5 is set to release next year, but the fact that he didn't shoot any such notion, especially when compared to the trajectory of the PS4, is noteworthy. For now, we'll have to continue waiting to hear more from Sony when it comes to this reported new PS5, but it seems like early 2023 could bring with it some clarity. CES 2023 is set to transpire in early January and Sony will be attending the massive electronics event in a notable capacity. Perhaps at this venue, we'll learn more about what Sony has in store with the PS5 throughout 2023.
Like I said before ps5 slim 2023 and ps5 pro 2024

mdkirby

based on the quote “it’ll be a very important time for the platform”, he could literally just be giving a nod to psvr2. I see no reason at all to infer a ps5 pro. Tho an updated model of the existing console would make sense, reducing down to just one model with an optional detachable disk drive would save them a lot of money from not having two form factors.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Pro to play remasters and cross-gen? That would be a really waste of money as they are yet to utilize the full potential of PS5.

Raonak

Banned
What? he says absolutely nothing about new hardware.

Pro seems pointless because there's no real jump to be found atm. nothing is struggling to run, and no new display technologies that the PS5 doesn't support (e.g. HDR and 4K were both unavaliable on the base PS4)

hinch7

Probably just expecting more sales from better production/s and PSVR 2. PS5 Slim (with optional disk drive) would be cool to see though, next year.

Last edited:

Buzzy42

Neo Member
I've had a few chances to grab a PS5 recently (I've only been super casually looking) but it's been really hard to pull the trigger when I know the system is so huge and there may or may not be a redesign right around the corner. I've waited this long mostly really hoping for a new design, as it'd take some major rearranging to fit the current system in my entertainment center, so I really hope there is some sort of PS5 Slim. (with my luck as soon as I get that, the PS5 Pro would be released) That said, I won't buy one without an optical drive, but the modular idea sounds pretty cool and probably a win/win for Sony if executed right.

Banned
What would they have to upgrade to get quality and performance mode at the same time?

use RDNA3 (better RT) and an RDNA3 card with about twice the raster performance.

so 20 TFLOPS, which would be a mid range RDNA3 GPU.

as a comparison, the current RDNA3 cards,
RX 7900 XT = 51.6 TFLOPS
RX 7900 XTX = 61.4 TFLOPS

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

A PS5 Pro makes no sense. PS4 Pro and XB1X made sense due to the increased popularity of 4K TVs and the demand for content for them. But a mid-gen console refresh for increased performance? That’s going to be a hard sell to consumers. Especially when so many had or have a hard time getting the standard console. Maybe we’ll get one when cross gen games disappear and devs wanting more performance for their current gen only games, but that ain’t going to be next year. Maybe a ps5 slim at the most.

EDMIX

no way hes talking about a Pro.
oh....he's 100% talking about a Pro.

No feelings bud, this is business.

Want to know why?

Gimme a pro
I want a new version based off this design.
Give me a PS5 pro with 60 fps RT
Give me 4k 60 in cinematic mode and 120 in performance mode
^

A demand exist, Sony is a business....thats it.

.sadly companies will make moves based on consumers as such.
What sad? What does it even have to do with you if someone else buys a Pro? Thats like saying, "sadly companies will make new GPUs based on consumers as such DAMMMMMMMN" lol

Who cares?

How is that hurting you?

If I got a 3090, why would I be um "sad" they made a 4090 and someone else got it or something? Ohhh yea, developers won't focus on my 3090 and instead will on 4090? Are some of you sure about that theory or? Funny enough, thats even worse on PC as you don't got any developer making some 3090 a fucking requirement lol

PS5 is the base, they'll continue to make games as normal and with PS4 Pro or XONE X its not like they just made exclusives for it and moved on or something weird like that.

Nothing to be "sad" about man as these takes are really, really fucking weird lol
Not exactly sure what a Pro version would accomplish?

Ohhh shit, so Sony found some secret sauce and all games are running 8K 120fps RT on Ultra or? /s

Tech moves on, PS5 is already outdated by tech standards and with new hardware is new sku options for those that want 4K or 8K RT or something, thus they will have a market regardless and to question what a new system would accomplish is like asking what reason a PS6 would exist for as if PS5 has just got every last development question answered

Plays 16K, 35K, 1000 fps, patch can make the SSD go faster, shit they can just update something and a 1TB M.2 drive can now be a 8TB drive lol If they had some fucking voodoo magic shit going on like that, then maybe I can see where you are coming from, but this system still has common limitations, a Pro gives an option to do something better for those that want it.

Pimpbaa

oh....he's 100% talking about a Pro.

No feelings bud, this is business.

Want to know why?

^

A demand exist, Sony is a business....thats it.

What sad? What does it even have to do with you if someone else buys a Pro? Thats like saying, "sadly companies will make new GPUs based on consumers as such DAMMMMMMMN" lol

Who cares?

How is that hurting you?

If I got a 3090, why would I be um "sad" they made a 4090 and someone else got it or something? Ohhh yea, developers won't focus on my 3090 and instead will on 4090? Are some of you sure about that theory or? Funny enough, thats even worse on PC as you don't got any developer making some 3090 a fucking requirement lol

PS5 is the base, they'll continue to make games as normal and with PS4 Pro or XONE X its not like they just made exclusives for it and moved on or something weird like that.

Nothing to be "sad" about man as these takes are really, really fucking weird lol

Ohhh shit, so Sony found some secret sauce and all games are running 8K 120fps RT on Ultra or? /s

Tech moves on, PS5 is already outdated by tech standards and with new hardware is new sku options for those that want 4K or 8K RT or something, thus they will have a market regardless and to question what a new system would accomplish is like asking what reason a PS6 would exist for as if PS5 has just got every last development question answered

Plays 16K, 35K, 1000 fps, patch can make the SSD go faster, shit they can just update something and a 1TB M.2 drive can now be a 8TB drive lol If they had some fucking voodoo magic shit going on like that, then maybe I can see where you are coming from, but this system still has common limitations, a Pro gives an option to do something better for those that want it.

It’s not happening man, at least not anytime soon. AMD’s RT is still not great, especially compared to Nvidia’s stuff. And RT is the one thing curren gen consoles are really low end on. If an AMD mid-range GPU comes out that can do most RT effects on with decent frame rates than I say bring on the Pro console. But with current hardware (hardware specs have to be nailed down way before the console comes out), it wouldn’t be worth while and would bring worse results than the jump from ps4 to ps4 pro. It’s going to take a significant improvement to graphic fidelity to make the general gaming consumer to notice (not people from a gaming forum), and increased raster performance but still sub par RT ain’t going to do that.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
This is a fucking stretch 🤣 he's probably just talking about games!
Exactly. To guess that SONY is now going to split its production of consoles, when it will just be catching up to demand in 2023, is nuts. Most you’ll see is a refreshed console to lower production / shipping costs.

Ar¢tos

If normal ps5 costs 550, imagine what a ps5 pro would cost next year? 900? 1000? And with normal ps5 having stock issues adding a new SKU would only make things worse. It would also be the size of a small house, even with the move to 5nm, for the considerable power increase and necessary cooling to have fixed 4k at 60fps min and add more RT ability to call it "pro". I think the current ps5 is already gigantic (and kinda ugly...).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
use RDNA3 (better RT) and an RDNA3 card with about twice the raster performance.

so 20 TFLOPS, which would be a mid range RDNA3 GPU.

as a comparison, the current RDNA3 cards,
RX 7900 XT = 51.6 TFLOPS
RX 7900 XTX = 61.4 TFLOPS
1000$ 350w gpus with mediocre rt performance at that.

The console has to be small, cheap and use like max 200watt. This is not acceptable.
There is barely any room for pro now. Both power wise and room in the market. I would be annoyed if they announced pro because normal ps5 is barely used as is.

Tflops is not everything. Where are the 50 and 100tflops graphics or performance on pc?
We really should stop obsessing about power. Slim model alone would be a stretch but ok. I can deal with that.

Let console be console. It should be different and separate from pc.

Last edited:
if you are still struggling to get a PS5/XSX in late 2022/2023, that's less of a stock problem and more of a you problem
XSX has been in stock in Europe for some time now, but not at all true for the PS5

People here order all over Europe, spain, france, uk... wherever a drop happens. I think Uk is the only one where the supply kind of caught up with demand, but why would I want to struggle through paying taxes twice, and get it maybe back nonsense and probably some delivery fees? A preorder phase, promised delivered latest jan 31st, was supposed to run from iirc 1st to 22nd of december. Sold out on the 3rd or something and mostly was the disc-version I just don't want. But basically all drops until 31st of january are already sold. I would expect then, after xmas is done and a few people just got an Xbox instead, the situation might actually get noticeably better.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned

The console has to be small, cheap and use like max 200watt. This is not acceptable.
There is barely any room for pro now. Both power wise and room in the market. I would be annoyed if they announced pro because normal ps5 is barely used as is.

Tflops is not everything. Where are the 50 and 100tflops graphics or performance on pc?
We really should stop obsessing about power. Slim model alone would be a stretch but ok. I can deal with that.

If there is a demand, how does this affect you? Why do you care? Your PS5 will continue running games, that's still the baseline (hell, the Series S is the baseline actually and that performs like crap )

Consoles have stopped being relatively cheap toys, if Sony can somehow sell a $400 PS5 Slim and a $600 PS5 Pro, then why not? Have something in the 20-25 TFlop range with increased Ray tracing performance and the hardcore audience can continue enjoying 60 FPS while having resolution mode settings for games made exclusively for current gen.

Note: Just because AMD's RT performance is not as good as nVidia's, it still represents a considerable jump in performance over base PS5/XSX if they have a PS5Pro.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Cool now all those that are struggling to get a PS5 will be able to get a PS5 Pro.
liar-liar-comedy.gif

Nobody who REALLY wants one is still struggling to get one after two years. You haven't really been trying if you still haven't been able to find one.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If there is a demand, how does this affect you? Why do you care? Your PS5 will continue running games, that's still the baseline (hell, the Series S is the baseline actually and that performs like crap )

Consoles have stopped being relatively cheap toys, if Sony can somehow sell a $400 PS5 Slim and a $600 PS5 Pro, then why not? Have something in the 20-25 TFlop range with increased Ray tracing performance and the hardcore audience can continue enjoying 60 FPS while having resolution mode settings for games made exclusively for current gen.

Note: Just because AMD's RT performance is not as good as nVidia's, it still represents a considerable jump in performance over base PS5/XSX if they have a PS5Pro.
I care because I like the idea of console being a one and done system. I don’t want it to become smartphone model once pro sells too well.
It totally is not ignore it and continue playing on your ps5. This is ignorant.
Of course I would buy pro model but this is still nonsense

LordOfChaos

Slim with the seamless disk attachment, unified manufacturing and lower shipping costs for Sony

No need for Pros yet, I'd say do that in year 4 mid cycle for a bigger difference, right now two years in it still feels like we're barely using these consoles as most things are still cross gen and only a few games really use all the SSD tech.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Slim with the seamless disk attachment

No need for Pros yet, I'd say do that in year 4 mid cycle for a bigger difference, right now two years in it still feels like we're barely using these consoles as most things are still cross gen and only a few games really use all the SSD tech.
Agreed. I can wait one more year for more bang for your buck.

Last edited:

Banned

which is why I said a 20tf RDNA3 GPU, which would use less power and be way cheaper

the PS5 is already absolutely hitting its limits in many games. it's unrealistic expectations of "next gen visuals" that make people think we will see gigantic leaps in graphics once cross gen is over, that's simply not the case.

Rasterization is basically hitting its limits, it's all just perfecting of what we had last gen from here on out. raytracing is the true next gen feature, and sadly it's barely usable on these current consoles, both due to the GPU but also due to the CPU.

a mid-gen refresh with more modern architecture and more CUs, ergo more Ray accelerators, would actually allow developers to implement true next gen graphics features in a more complete way.

currently in order to have more complex RT effects running these systems often barely get above 1080p and that with RT usually set to the lowest settings available on PC or even lower than the lowest available on PC

well these high end PC cards, like the 7900XTX can run Cyberpunk with all RT effects at above 30fps (40 to 50fps). turn on FSR2 and you'll have 60fps at a convincingly looking 4k with full RT.

meanwhile the consoles struggle to get to 30fps with the (by far) least demanding RT effect turned on and at lower resolutions and general settings as well.

of course, but pro models are now a console thing, and they will absolutely be a thing this gen as well

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
the PS5 is already absolutely hitting its limits in many games
This is logical fallacy.
360 was hitting it's max power first day,
ps2, ps3, switch... every hardware is doing that.

You know what was running 100% the first day I got it? 3080 on it's release.

The chase of power is impossible. You can't do it really or it will lead to new consoles every year and ruin the console. Like smartphones.
Consoles hit the power limit from day1. What do you expect? If you put a 4090 in there, devs would do the same.
It's all about optimization and raising graphical quality on fixed hardware. look at The last of us 2 by the end of ps4 gen. CRAZY.

Unfortunately there is one problem - Unreal Engine.
it is normal x86 engine and there is no coding to the metal with something like that as far as I understand. There is just normal optimization...
Devs even "forgot" how to do 30fps nowadays. 30fps this gen on demons souls is 75 fuckimg ms slower when it comes to input lag compared to bloodborne 30fps.... yikes.

Banned
This is logical fallacy.
360 was hitting it's max power first day,
ps2, ps3, switch... every hardware is doing that.

You know what was running 100% the first day I got it? 3080 on it's release.

that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the fact that the PS5 is already delivering basically the best you can get out of a rasterized image in games like TLOU Remake and Plague Tale

it's all small improvements in the detail from here on out for rasterization.

The chase of power is impossible. You can't do it really or it will lead to new consoles every year and ruin the console. Like smartphones.
Consoles hit the power limit from day1. What do you expect? If you put a 4090 in there, devs would do the same.

Mid gen refreshes are a thing since the GBC,
the Pro was launched 3 years after the PS4, which means at the end of this year would be the same timeframe as last gen to release one.

It's all about optimization and raising graphical quality on fixed hardware. look at The last of us 2 by the end of ps4 gen. CRAZY.

completely baked lighting and highly static game.
sure that kind of game can be highly polished to the max to make everything look super detailed and realistic.

as soon as you make a more open game with more dynamic objects, maybe even dynamic time of day, you can't get nearly as much fidelity not even on PS5

Unfortunately there is one problem - Unreal Engine.
it is normal x86 engine and there is no coding to the metal with something like that as far as I understand. There is just normal optimization...
Devs even "forgot" how to do 30fps nowadays. 30fps this gen on demons souls is 75 fuckimg ms slower when it comes to input lag compared to bloodborne 30fps.... yikes.

which is why a Pro version is needed. sadly you can't expect developers to actually tailor their games to the system anymore

Last edited:
Top Bottom