• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 Digital Edition CFI-1100B01 (300 grams lighter, different securing screw), specs and performance the same

cormack12

Gold Member
43RPMg.jpg

Bu2Hpt.jpg

dlmUZN.jpg

E6vdkMyVEA81qkr

LordOfChaos

Wonder what's lighter. PCB/halved RAM chips? Heatsink?

Interesting though, once they update the disk drive version and it's been out for a while, that's when I think I'll try for an RMA, mine isn't a hairdryer like the PS4 Pro or anything but the fan is audible from the couch which was just slightly whelming compared to people who say theirs are 100% silent from that distance.

Last edited:

Tommi84

Hope tey fixed the buzzing powersupply (I mean the coil whine, you know what I mean ;) ). Ohh, who am I to fool. We all know the buzzing sound stays with us for eternity! :D

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Interesting though, once they update the disk drive version and it's been out for a while, that's when I think I'll try for an RMA, mine isn't a hairdryer like the PS4 Pro or anything but the fan is audible from the couch which was just slightly whelming compared to people who say theirs are 100% silent from that distance.

I'm not sure how they are saving the 300 grams given this is the digital version. The CUH-1200 PS4 revision also reduced weight by 300 grams over the launch PS4 but that had half the RAM chips, smaller/lighter PSU and other small changes. This PS5 revision won't have half the RAM chips (4GB/32Gb chips don't exist) and the PSU is rated the same so possibly no weight saving there. If all or most of it is taken from the HSF then it will be interesting to see (and hear!) how the thermals/noise/coil whine are affected.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Mostly like some material changed that is lighter.

RCU005

I'm going to sell my PS5 Digital Edition and purchase this new upgraded version. It should be totally worth it!

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Oh great, so it's going to be from more shitty materials. YAY

You have warranty for a reason.

Not sure how it's in UAE, but here you can't RMA something due to coil whine. Well you can try, but most companies say that it's "fully functional" and that you should fuck off.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Oh great, so it's going to be from more shitty materials. YAY

Not sure how it's in UAE, but here you can't RMA something due to coil whine. Well you can try, but most companies say that it's "fully functional" and that you should fuck off.

Here it's warranty with the retailer for the first 30 days and then with Sony after.

I did a warranty claim with Sony for the first PS4 pro I had because the fan noise was obnoxious to the point that I couldn't just deal with it and it went smoothly. Was able to pick up my new console from the Sony store at Dubai mall within a week. The new one wasn't perfect but it was definitely much much better and livable so that's the one I've had since.

I've heard of people doing warranty claims for coil whine so it's worth a shot. You have nothing to lose. Better to try and do something about something you're not happy with than just sit around and moan.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
We know they are losing a shit ton of money on the DE version. Maybe they are going with cheaper / lighter materials for the overall build to try and recoup some of the losses?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Wasn't it supposed to be this month that is hey figured they would break even on hardware? Now we know. The screw!

LordOfChaos

I'm not sure how they are saving the 300 grams given this is the digital version. The CUH-1200 PS4 revision also reduced weight by 300 grams over the launch PS4 but that had half the RAM chips, smaller/lighter PSU and other small changes. This PS5 revision won't have half the RAM chips (4GB/32Gb chips don't exist) and the PSU is rated the same so possibly no weight saving there. If all or most of it is taken from the HSF then it will be interesting to see (and hear!) how the thermals/noise/coil whine are affected.
Maybe it was just possible without any reduction in board chips with a tighter layout, it wasn't the densest. I wonder if the cooling changes any to adapt to it.

Hope tey fixed the buzzing powersupply (I mean the coil whine, you know what I mean ;) ). Ohh, who am I to fool. We all know the buzzing sound stays with us for eternity! :D
I'd love to find out if that's true. Just a little sound dampening material can go a long way.

Please tell me sony dampened those buzzing capacitors in the psu!

also, did they use different parts? Because my cousins ps5 barely has buzzing yet mine I can hear from across the room. Why? Did I get the one with the shitty cheaper parts?

Last edited:

Esppiral

The discless consoles and this also applies to de series S are a scam, you are trapped on their eco system, only allowed to buy on their Storefronts, and the prices are hideous, I've saved more money buying physical games off of Amazon for my disc based PS5 than buying the digital edition, Ratchet and demons souls, among others, 20€ aprox cheaper each game than their digital counterparts

Last edited:
Please tell me sony dampened those buzzing capacitors in the psu!

also, did they use different parts? Because my cousins ps5 barely has buzzing yet mine I can hear from across the room. Why? Did I get the one with the shitty cheaper parts?
There is always going to be a variance when it comes to components. Systems are manufactured at different times and parts come from different places. Sony should have just added the sound dampening material to all the systems so it wouldn't matter where you parts were sourced it wouldn't buzz. I had 2 systems that buzzed and knew of a guy here that went through 4+ consoles that buzzed so you are certainly not alone.

The discless consoles and this also applies to de series S are a scam, you are trapped on their eco system, only allowed to buy on their Storefronts, and the prices are hideous, I've saved more money buying physical games off of Amazon for my disc based PS5 than buying the digital edition, Ratchet and demons souls, among others, 20€ aprox cheaper each game than their digital counterparts
MS sells game code cards in brick and mortar stores and on digital store fronts. As far as I know there is no way to buy a PlayStation digital code from anyone but Sony so things are not the same.

Last edited:
Not true. Sony's digital sales are very good and frequent.

My entire PS4 library is digital, and I've never payed over £30 for a game.
It's true.

Esppiral

Not true. Sony's digital sales are very good and frequent.

My entire PS4 library is digital, and I've never payed over £30 for a game.
Not true? I bought Ratchet and clack on day one for 62€ on Amazon instead of 79,95 and Yakuza like a Dragon for 23€ instead of 59,95€ on the the pstore, I guess if you want to buy old ass games there are sales in fact I have a lot. But physical bis cheaper, period.

I've saved more money buying physical Ps5 games than buyin the ps5 digital..... But whatever

Last edited:
Top Bottom