• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PSVR Could Release With Built-In Advertisement Feature

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A weird patent has been recently filed by Sony Interactive Entertainment in relation to the Playstation VR headset. This new patent is about a function that will show advertisements during PSVR gameplay. This, of course, raises suspicion about the frequency of those ads if this feature finds its way to PSVR eventually, specially PSVR 2.

According to the PSVR patent, a new headset must be devised in order for the advertisement feature to take place. This will include an information processing apparatus that will track the direction to which the player is looking and will place an advertisement in a comfortable position.

The advertisements will be set mainly on the top of the screen in a small popup, much like what you encounter in typical websites. There are several different placements, which will most likely be selected depending on what game you play.

For instance, you won’t be getting an advertisement in a place where your minimap is positioned or in the middle of the screen. Also, the PSVR patent makes word of games, so we don’t know if this includes video watching or internet surfing.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
We estimate we can sell up to 80 percent of the screen WITHOUT inducing seizures!

654uywmb6y021.jpg

Last edited:

Romulus

I'm wondering if they're thinking they could offer a price reduction on the headset to view ads during loading and/or boot up screens.

> According to the PSVR patent, a new headset must be devised in order for the advertisement feature to take place. This will include an information processing apparatus that will track the direction to which the player is looking

this is great confirmation for eye-tracking!

and while eye-tracking is sure to be used by Sony or Facebook for ads purposes, here's what it will also allow: foveated rendering.

Foveated rendering is rendering in high resolution only the part of the screen where your eyes are currently focused upon, everything else in blurry low-res, much like how our eyes work irl.

why is that awesome? Because VR is power-hungry, requiring 2 frames rendered side by side at least double your usual flat game framerate. So if most of the scene is rendered in low resolution, that's a huge performance gain.

And that ultimately means VR can have pretty much the same nextgen graphics of flat PS5 games - in other words, it's performance ready for VR mode in most games that make sense, like FPS and racing games. COD VR finally? looks like it, don't mind a few ad billboards while shooting

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'd start exercising at a gym if they provided nice VR helmets. I'd wipe it down, plug in, and kettlebell all day.

TV screens hanging above the mirror / window are soooooo 2000s/2010s

This can just mean a VR web browser. Eyetracking on a web browser would be profitable. Might even make VR users the best gauge of interest for commercials. Hulu would know if youre actually looking at the ads, and get paid more because they have your undivided attention.

I hope PSVR2 has eye tracking. Would make it the best aiming method.

Wonko_C

Imagine being able to use Google Earth VR to cycle around the world. Spinning gyms would be back full force.

In VR you have a gun in your hand and you want instead to aim with your eye?

some gamepad VR games are already that way, like Doom VFR - you aim with your head. because they're limited, given your hands are holding a stupid gamepad rather than a BFG.

Last edited:
In VR you have a gun in your hand and you want instead to aim with your eye?

some gamepad VR games are already that way, like Doom VFR - you aim with your head. because they're limited, given your hands are holding a stupid gamepad rather than a BFG.
Yes it would be fun to superman eye lazer beam people to death. Nobody wants to aim with their head.

Wonko_C

Yes it would be fun to superman eye lazer beam people to death. Nobody wants to aim with their head.

Shooting lasers fron your eyes a la Superman or Cyclops would be a cool idea for games based on them, but not in games where you hold a gun in your hand, like Firewall, Half-Life Alyx or Blood & Truth, it would feel like cheating in those types of games.

Navigating menus and typing with your eyes will be a bliss, though.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member

A weird patent has been recently filed by Sony Interactive Entertainment in relation to the Playstation VR headset. This new patent is about a function that will show advertisements during PSVR gameplay. This, of course, raises suspicion about the frequency of those ads if this feature finds its way to PSVR eventually, specially PSVR 2.

According to the PSVR patent, a new headset must be devised in order for the advertisement feature to take place. This will include an information processing apparatus that will track the direction to which the player is looking and will place an advertisement in a comfortable position.

The advertisements will be set mainly on the top of the screen in a small popup, much like what you encounter in typical websites. There are several different placements, which will most likely be selected depending on what game you play.

For instance, you won’t be getting an advertisement in a place where your minimap is positioned or in the middle of the screen. Also, the PSVR patent makes word of games, so we don’t know if this includes video watching or internet surfing.
One step closer to Sword Art Online and Futurama

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If its cheaper I dont care. Maybe I need to update my pi hole
*yeah, well you can play this shit, since you have not watched 2 hours of content from our friends over at <insert any gaming outlet> so nope*

Shooting lasers fron your eyes a la Superman or Cyclops would be a cool idea for games based on them, but not in games where you hold a gun in your hand, like Firewall, Half-Life Alyx or Blood & Truth, it would feel like cheating in those types of games.

Its not cheating if everyone can do it. Shouldn't fear new ways of aiming bc its too good. mouse or analog sticks arent anymore natural than eye aiming. motion controllers arent viable for long periods of time.

Wonko_C

Its not cheating if everyone can do it. Shouldn't fear new ways of aiming bc its too good. mouse or analog sticks arent anymore natural than eye aiming. motion controllers arent viable for long periods of time.
Ok, forget the "cheating part". My point still stands.

Skyfox

Ifx4bg1.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I hope Sony will only use this evil for some kind of free to play games or even a VR version of PlayStation Home. A VR PlayStation Home that is pretty much like the world from Minority Report I wouldn't mind.

Miles708

It doesn't matter where they put the adds. It's all about exclusives. Nothing else matters.
Well about that...

It's also worth reiterating the concept that nothing regarding advertising is good for the player/customer.

The question is not "will it be bad?" but "how bad this is going to be?".
On a piece of electronics costing hundreds of dollars, this can become ludicrous at best, or plain evil at worst.

Somehow I still hope this patent will stay only as a concept.

Last edited:
This can just mean a VR web browser. Eyetracking on a web browser would be profitable. Might even make VR users the best gauge of interest for commercials. Hulu would know if youre actually looking at the ads, and get paid more because they have your undivided attention.

Actually, it had been confirmed for a long time that eye tracking is really bad for aiming. You never actually naturally look at something very long; your eyes jump around constantly, refreshing your view. This is why attempts to use eye tracking to control your mouse pointer failed.

You think you know how your eyes move, but you actually don't. Much of your eye movement are reflex and not under your direct command. And it is basically impossible to "hold" your eyes steady. Just aim with your hands like you do in real life. That's what they are there for.

Rudius

What if Sony gets the Superman license and hands it to the creators of Iron-man VR?
Full open world, destructible environments, super fast flight, dive in the ocean, go to space, cold breath via microphone and heat beams with eye tracking!

Well about that...

It's also worth reiterating the concept that nothing regarding advertising is good for the player/customer.

The question is not "will it be bad?" but "how bad this is going to be?".
On a piece of electronics costing hundreds of dollars, this can become ludicrous at best, or plain evil at worst.

Somehow I still hope this patent will stay only as a concept.

People should complain. Sony is all about the $$$$ (like every business), but they have such brand loyalty they can get away with it (they think). Nintendo, Microsoft, Steam, whoever never could pull this off first.

What if Sony gets the Superman license and hands it to the creators of Iron-man VR?
Full open world, destructible environments, super fast flight, dive in the ocean, go to space, cold breath via microphone and heat beams with eye tracking!

it's called Megaton Rainfall

Move implementation is as bad as in Doom, likewise best played with ds4, sadly

Rudius

it's called Megaton Rainfall

Move implementation is as bad as in Doom, likewise best played with ds4, sadly
Played that, it's a great effort for an indie game. It proves that the concept works, but I'd like to see it done by a big team with a fat budget, with the speed of the PS5 SSD fully utilized.

Played that, it's a great effort for an indie game. It proves that the concept works, but I'd like to see it done by a big team with a fat budget, with the speed of the PS5 SSD fully utilized.

as long as that big budget team can accomplish what the small lone indie did...

frankly, the cityscapes are amazingly realistic from a distance (but not close) and the speed of flight, there's nothing like it - with no loading screens...

the massive destruction not always looks right, but I've seen nothing like it in any other game...

plus the early stages are fun as heck

still one of my favorite early VR sleeper hits

JSoup

Banned
You know, if it's flexible, it can be worked into any game without being a pain in the ass. Like a dynamic ad system that updates soda bottle textures to whoever the current sponsor is when you glance at the item for more than 10 seconds or something else relatively benign.

Ha, sudden thought. New FNAF VR. A couple levels in, the narrator suddenly chimes in about "Ha ha, some fun we're having tonight. How about you relax with a cold bottle of [PRODUCT NAME] it's *highspeed text/speech going over statistical data*. It's great!" And then the game pelts the player with a bunch of bottles.

Sacred

Please don't fucking do this to VR because then quest and index will copy it and show ads in games and loading screens. You want to ruin VR for the masses, this is how you do it.

Top Bottom