• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pushmo game released in japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is more Rusty's Real Deal Baseball over, say, Pokemon Shuffle?
Seems to be the case (more like Rusty's than Shuffle). There don't seem to be any consumable/endless IAPs, and you can buy the level packs separately or the bundle at a discount. I would say this is more like the shareware model than the modern F2P model.

Made a mistake before, sorry. I thought it was seven trial stages per world, but it's actually seven trial stages total. Six regular puzzles and one picture based one (
a whale
)

XaosWolf

This looks like exactly what I was wanting with a sequel to Pullblox.

Crashblox added a new falling mechanic that I didn't feel meshed with the original's gameplay. This one has things expanding and contacting in new directions and that's absolutely perfect, and the extra challenges for each character is just icing on the cake.

I'm certain this is coming to the West. If Hakoboi made it over here that sharpish, then this won't take long either. =)

Pretty scummy of them. No reason this shouldn't be 60 fps on the original 3DS.

Fallblox/Crashmo switched the framerate to 30 fps for levels that were wide in scope with massive structures and larger playing fields.

Just downloading this new game now, but nothing in the trailer makes it seem like Intelligent Systems should lock it to 30fps everywhere on the older hardware.

Edit: Just started playing the new game -- compared first stage side by side. There's more going on in this (more clouds in the background, a whale-shaped balloon, more objects around the playing field.

My guess is Intelligent System targeted 60fps on N3DS with the extra power, and regular 3DS was probably only going between 30 and 60. Since an unlocked framerate would result in stuttering they probably went for 30. Big shame, it just doesn't feel as fluid, but on the other hand it's nice to see them target the more powerful hardware for once.

gerudoman

I enjoyed Pullblox for the most part, but I found all 3 or more stars puzles to be nearly impossible. So yeah, making the formula more complex isn't good news for me XD

Hmm one thing I noticed while playing pushmo/pullblox is the game was very good at building difficulty and having you use things you just learned.

But here since each pack is optional each mode is essentially going to be a reset button on that resulting in what feels like uneven difficulty.

Not that I'm going to play this any time soon because of the asinine NNID requirement combined with the terrible implementation on 3DS.

mclem

Interesting to note that Pushmo now has more iterations than Punch Out!

Not quite

py9RGIi.jpg

KooopaKid

Banned
Whaaaat? They managed to come up with a new twist AGAIN?
Looks more interesting than the slightly disappointing Pushmo World on WiiU.

krossj

yes! Looks like more of the same but interested to see how the enemies change up the flow. A full pushmo platform level could be interesting. I can see it being released pretty soon for NA and EU.

meppi

Downloaded it and played two levels. It runs at only 30 fps. The previous Pushmo/Crashmo games all ran at 60 fps (even in 3D). Deleted it immediately.

I can't help it, but I find this to be hilariously sad.

This whole mentality is so damn stupid.

mclem

It kind of is when it's also a platformer which requires precise timing and movement to make jumps.

Good job it's not, then!

The platforming mechanics are extremely generous. There's no pixel-perfect placement required; get to the edge and Mallo will teeter for an age allowing easy access to the maximum possible jump. There was a "platformer" user level early on in Pushmo's life...

Iw1rV.jpg

...and when I played it, it came to my attention that it was *actually* completely trivial. I made my own take on the platformer design by turning the goals on its head, making the challenge about the understanding of the platform mechanics rather than the execution of them.

That said, things might be different this time around with the addition of enemies; that's hard to judge.

rjc571

Banned
Good job it's not, then!

The platforming mechanics are extremely generous. There's no pixel-perfect placement required; get to the edge and Mallo will teeter for an age allowing easy access to the maximum possible jump. There was a "platformer" user level early on in Pushmo's life...

Iw1rV.jpg

...and when I played it, it came to my attention that it was *actually* completely trivial. I made my own take on the platformer design by turning the goals on its head, making the challenge about the understanding of the platform mechanics rather than the execution of them.

That said, things might be different this time around with the addition of enemies; that's hard to judge.

He doesn't teeter off the edge if the drop is only one block high. Lots of jumps are already tricky to make due to this. The drop in framerate makes them that much worse.

Aside from this, running at a lower framerate simply makes the game that much less pleasant to look at and to play, compared to the standards set by the previous games in the series. I did not enjoy my time with the game one bit, which is why I deleted it.

mclem

He doesn't teeter off the edge if the drop is only one block high. Lots of jumps are already tricky to make due to this.

There is exactly one brick layout - as far as I can think - where this is potentially an issue:

Code:
o.#
#..
.#.

(Okay, plus its mirror image)

Also, of course, rewind exists.

Aside from this, running at a lower framerate simply makes the game that much less pleasant to look at and to play, compared to the standards set by the previous games in the series.

Not actually disputing that you may feel that. I'm only taking issue with the notion that Pushmo is a game dependent on precise platforming.

Did you not play Fez? This is an awesome platforming mechanic. I'll be getting this day one as well.

Wow! Will stop probably wait until this reaches Europe so I can play it on my N3DS for that 60fps goodness.

But looking at that puzzle in particular, they really were certainly targeting N3DS, it's a sizeable step up from Pushmo/Crashmo even outside of background detail (which was still a lot higher on Wii U's Pushmo World)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
EU gets the game today under the name "Fullblox". Here's the prices:

Prices

Mallo's Playtime Plaza: £4.49
Poppu's Sculpture Square: £2.69
Corin's Fortress of Fun: £2.69
Papa Blox's NES Expo: £2.69

Bundle for all: £8.99
Now hopefully this means the US gets it soon as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom