• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Quake Live Screens, Info (Carmack Interview)

saelz8

2w5vs48.jpg

a5jn2o.jpg

2jfxieh.jpg

Early on, we were tossing around two different orders of magnitudes - anywhere from 50,000 to 5 million people playing. We have no idea where it is going to be in there. The fact that 70,000 people have signed up in a week means that we’re going to be looking at hundreds of thousands of players, if not millions. We hope that that can be a sustained critical mass of a community that can play this type of game, and be self-supporting.

Quake III Arena was always my personal favorite id Software game. It’s such a pure activity kind of game - more of a sport than a movie. And I’m excited to have this opportunity to bring back the pure type of gaming as opposed to the “everything and the kitchen sink” modern design. We have no pretensions about it being the best multiplayer game in all types of things, but for any player looking to test their [deathmatch] skill, I think Quake III Arena is the best there ever was.

(I like the way this man thinks!)

Every single level of the original game has been touched to bring them up to modern quality standards. All the little things, like level alignment and lighting in different areas. We also integrated in-game billboards throughout the levels. So, all the levels are modernized a little bit, but there’s no pretense about this being a modern technology game. One of the key benefits of this, with the old game being a standard graphics benchmark, is that this is going to run on almost any machine you’d want to play it on, and at a very high framerate.

Skill-based matchmaking is extremely important, so when you jump in, you’re going to be someplace appropriate. But we’re also adding things like bot-guided training levels offline. When you initially set up your account, you get to give the system an indication of what your skill level is. After a few matches, the game will see how you’re performing and adjust your choices.

Source

I'm really looking forward to this! Straight up game, no BS.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Q3A is easily one of my all time favorite deathmatch games. I totally intend to play the shit out of Quake Live.

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
Morbid Angel said:
I didn't know that! Niiiice.

I didn't either....damn, that's pretty exciting news. Lets hope the new Battlefield game will come to consoles and be the same way. This is a trend I would like to see more of.

1-D_FTW

I'm assuming since it's web-based it's gonna be hack free. If so, I'm gonna enjoy it. Quake 3 was the last straight deathmatch game I enjoyed, so it'll be fun to play it again.

Draft

The King returns!

No doubt one of the reasons UT3 was so soundly and completely rejected by the PC gaming community is that they knew.

They knew what was coming and they were glad.

[HP]

outsida said:
I still have my config handy :D ...

ah ah, me too!

that raises the question tho, can you use custom configs on Quake Live? I love to tweak my gave, like the fov, etc

Thanks.

Carmack said:
And I’m excited to have this opportunity to bring back the pure type of gaming as opposed to the “everything and the kitchen sink” modern design.
Amen, brother.

Carmack said:
At least initially, we’re not going to have all the mods that they expect to have supported.
So that means it'll have full mod support in the end? If so then it's awesome.

FightyF

Banned
GameGamer said:
I felt as if Quake 3 was where it all went downhill.

I hope they will give Quake 1 and 2 the same treatment.

I disagree about the downhill part, but I can see how some didn't like Q3A. But I too would love Q2 CTF redone, just so I can play with others again.

Mash said:
I've received mixed answers to this but is it browser based or browser launching?
Read the interview.

Carmack said:
Playing directly inside a browser window is moderately new in that it integrates friends lists and messaging. The core of the game remains the same.

GameGamer said:

Wait, you liked BOTH Quake 1 and 2 but did not like 3? I think you must be the only guy on the planet. I still remember the outcry of the Quake 1 players when Quake 2 was introduced. Quake 3 was what most could agree on (after the initial outcry of both camps) since the rl was a bit faster now, they kept the rail but re-introduced the lightning gun/shaft and the game was quicker than Q2 but not as fast as Q1. Best of both worlds.

Gattsu25

Banned
GameGamer said:

I wouldn't exactly say "Downhill", but it was te first iD game I didn't enjoy as much as I expected...only played it for a month or so.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

bee

got a lot of friends already on the closed beta (grrr) who seem to think its good, 80 damage rail thank fuck, been playing quake 3 for 9 years now lol best game ever for me by a mile, theres still lots of leagues going on in europe, jolt is just about to finish its 28th season of ctf !!

just last night i was on gtv (spectator client) watching cypher vs question in the euro duel league, there was 320 ppl on there watching and listening to the shoutcast which is pretty damn good for a 9 year old game and i hope quakelive only expands the community, although i have my doubts

Killer said:
Ooh... I can only dream. :(
Dreaming about playing Quake 3 with a pad? Nightmarish indeed. I tried it for a bit back in the DC days. But it did allow console gamers to get slaughtered by PC gamers iirc (never connected our DC to the internet).

But even so, I think a Live version of Q3:A was announced at some time. So no free version for you but you can pay if you want to play the game on 360 that much.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Quake 3 is my favorite deathmatch game. I actually switched over to Quake 4 for deathmatch because I dug the Quake 2 influences on the MP (and, you know, the graphics are a lot better), but Quake 3 still hasn't been beat.

1-D_FTW

Phife Dawg said:
Dreaming about playing Quake 3 with a pad? Nightmarish indeed. I tried it for a bit back in the DC days. But it did allow console gamers to get slaughtered by PC gamers iirc (never connected our DC to the internet).

But even so, I think a Live version of Q3:A was announced at some time. So no free version for you but you can pay if you want to play the game on 360 that much.

I played the Shawn Elliot way. DC controller for movement, mouse for aiming. Online was surprisingly good assuming you didn't have a LPB join a group of 3 HPBs.

epmode

I don't like the sound of this browser display thing.

I hope there are the regular options for full-screen, high-resolution, widescreen displays.

But otherwise, sign me up pls.

saelz8

epmode said:
I don't like the sound of this browser display thing.

I hope there are the regular options for full-screen, high-resolution, widescreen displays.

But otherwise, sign me up pls.
You play fullscreen by default, I believe. Server browsing, statistics, game initiation and all that jazz is done through the browser.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
The perfect antidote to the consolification of FPS.

Welcome back friend, your throne awaits.

1-D_FTW said:
I played the Shawn Elliot way. DC controller for movement, mouse for aiming. Online was surprisingly good assuming you didn't have a LPB join a group of 3 HPBs.
How would you switch weapons? Cycling through them? If so: Wow! I heard good things about the multi as well but being a competitive Q3 player I didn't care to actually try it out for the novelty factor.

Concept17 said:
The only quake that matters, is Quake2.
I really liked Q2 but it was a bit too slow for my liking.

1-D_FTW

Phife Dawg said:
How would you switch weapons? Cycling through them? If so: Wow! I heard good things about the multi as well but being a competitive Q3 player I didn't care to actually try it out for the novelty factor.

Yeah. Just cycle through them with the mouse wheel. It's not like there wasn't a hierarchy to what you wanted to use anyway. I think you could set weapons to not auto-switch upon collection. So if you picked up a rocket launcher, then you'd just scroll to it.

I wouldn't wanna use the setup now, but it was a good starting point for someone not used to the m/k setup.

Top Bottom