• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Quantum Break gameplay (offscreen, BGS conference)

derFeef

oh

cuz that seems to be the impressions I've got from every single preview and video. A game that desperately wants to be a TV series, like The Order wanted to be a movie. Very impressive lookin if shallow third person shooting, included.

There is no cover button, it's automatic cover and you are actually encouraged to move around. The "TV show" will be 4 episodes, each 22 minutes long, so a decent movie length as a whole. You can watch them when they appear, or later on and see your choices unfold.
They do not replace the in-game cut scenes, we still have those. It's separate.

Harlequin

Had to find the article

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...y-developer-brings-home-an-academy-award.aspx

He worked on the visual effects team on Gravity and Remedy have hired him as a level designer and scripter.

Dude must be super talented lol

HA, I stand corrected :)

Well, you have to remember that the term "effects" has a different meaning in the film industry than it does in the games industry. In films, "visual effects" tends to include the entire process of 3D modelling, texturing, animating and so on (not sure if it also includes non-CG effects but I think it does) whereas in games, it has a much narrower definition. VFX artists in games are usually responsible for stuff like explosions/fire, rain/snow, fog, sword swing trails, that sort of stuff. So someone working on visual effects in film is not necessarily going to have the equivalent skillset to someone working as a VFX artist in games.

Warxard

Banned
oh

cuz that seems to be the impressions I've got from every single preview and video. A game that desperately wants to be a TV series, like The Order wanted to be a movie. Very impressive lookin if shallow third person shooting, included.

That's par for the course for Remedy. Alan Wake had a multitude of short TV clips that littered the show, and AN Switching to live action cutscenes majority for the game too.

It's been Remedy's MO since...MP2 I thinks

As for your OP abilities comment: Has Remedy ever been guilty of having overpowered abilities in their games? Bullet Time in MP1 and 2 seemed to work well and kept the challenge of enemy encounters intact and the light mechanic in Alan Wake worked well enough to keep the tension between the enemies constant.

oh

Jc pls

It's a Remedy game with longer versions of the live action scenes they've been doing for a while now except those scenes (essentially 4 episodes of a TV show) are affected by your choices in gameplay. It's not trying to be a TV show the way The Order was trying to be a movie-game, and unless Remedy has fallen down the rabbit hole of awful game design, it probably won't be interrupted every 2 minutes either.

I thought Alan Wake was ass, so "its a Remedy game" doesn't have the cache it did back in the Max Payne 2 days for me.

As for all the cutscene interruptions, IDK b...watching this extended Gamescom demo, this dude can't even go up stairs without them taking control away from you. Obviously they cut around some stuff, but dude climbs stairs and then a cutscene. Walks around the wreckage, cutscene. Swear climbing the ladder is a cutscene. Walks across the bridge, ship crash cutscene. Does that little simplistic Braid puzzle thing, another cutscene. In the clip before its like after every little gunfight, there's another one. And for just the simplest shit too, like a truck crashes through a barrier. I keep thinking of Naughty Dog's philosophy to cinematic action games, of trying to keep "everything on the stick", keep it in-game. Yeah, these dudes aint about that life. Got transitions into every damn thing.

IDK, might be aight rental from Redbox, but really aint feeling the hype on this shit. Got the same feeling from this as I did with The Order, right down to all the "Its *company name*, they did some decent titles like 5 years ago"

LastNac

oh

2488111-3381732308-Untit.gif

I thought Alan Wake was ass, so "its a Remedy game" doesn't have the cache it did back in the Max Payne 2 days for me.

As for all the cutscene interruptions, IDK b...watching this extended Gamescom demo, this dude can't even go up stairs without them taking control away from you. Obviously they cut around some stuff, but dude climbs stairs and then a cutscene. Walks around the wreckage, cutscene. Swear climbing the ladder is a cutscene. Walks across the bridge, ship crash cutscene. Does that little simplistic Braid puzzle thing, another cutscene. In the clip before its like after every little gunfight, there's another one. And for just the simplest shit too, like a truck crashes through a barrier. I keep thinking of Naughty Dog's philosophy to cinematic action games, of trying to keep "everything on the stick", keep it in-game. Yeah, these dudes aint about that life. Got transitions into every damn thing.

IDK, might be aight rental from Redbox, but really aint feeling the hype on this shit. Got the same feeling from this as I did with The Order, right down to all the "Its *company name*, they did some decent titles like 5 years ago"

Y'know what, you're not wrong, but here's the interesting thing: I'm playing Transformers Devastation right now, and it hit me that Platinum actually does a ton of those cutaways as well, on top of the hitching progression inherent in score based action games where you're stopped to show a score every few minutes. The main reason they aren't so painful is that you can skip pretty much anything that's over 5 seconds long. Like even little item box camera pans and enemy intros. That's what most of those cutaways in that QB video feel like. No it doesn't look as good as Naughty Dog's brand of "keeping it on the stick" for 10 minutes stretches or whatever, but it's also not wasting the player's time in the same way The Order or Max Payne 3 do with lengthy real cutscenes or long transitions either. At least not in that video. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a 30 minute stretch of those games where only about 3-5 minutes are non-playable.

This all goes away if stuff isn't skippable though, but it's too early to make that call.

And "It's Remedy" carries a hell of a lot more weight than "It's Ready At Dawn", for me anyway. Even Alan Wake, though very flawed, has that special something that latched on even all these years later.

Max Payne 3 was the WOAT with what y'all are talking about. Such amazing aesthetics, influences and shooter gameplay and it's spoiled by cutting to an unskippable cutscene every 3 minutes

anyways Remedy is one of the best exclusives developers out there, I'm gonna have to cop an Xbox One on sale next year for sure for this and scalebound

Castef

Banned
Looks good.
One thing that I keep wondering about is difficulty. Obviously it's a demo, but the time powers right now are godly.

My idea is: the player is actually overpowered when fighting "regular" enemies (soldiers, thugs...). Then the guys we've seen at E3 enter the game and...

glaurung

Is that the GoT Littlefinger actor in the heli?

This gameplay demo looks way better than the disappointing E3 outing. The colors are nice, the heli model looks like it has some weight to it, the camera moves as if in a movie. I like it.

Is that the GoT Littlefinger actor in the heli?

This gameplay demo looks way better than the disappointing E3 outing. The colors are nice, the heli model looks like it has some weight to it, the camera moves as if in a movie. I like it.

Yep.

The full cast was announced at Gamescom in August:
http://news.xbox.com/2015/08/gamescom-quantum-break

Shawn Ashmore (“X-Men: Days of Future Past”) as Jack Joyce
Dominic Monaghan (“Lost”) as William Joyce
Aidan Gillen (“Game of Thrones”) as Paul Serene
Lance Reddick (“Fringe”) as Martin Hatch
Marshall Allman (“True Blood”) as Charlie Wincott
Patrick Heusinger (“Black Swan”) as Liam Burke
Mimi Michaels (“The Ugly Truth”) as Fiona Miller
Amelia Rose Blaire (“True Blood”) as Amy Ferraro
Brooke Nevin as Emily Burke
Courtney Hope as Beth Wilder
Jacqueline Pinol as Sofia Amaral
Jeannie Bolet as Kate Ogawa
Sean Durrie as Nick Marsters

solis74

hope they release this direct feed, and maybe even uncut. game looks outstanding visually and its remedy, so i have no doubt the story telling, pacing, atmosphere, and gameplay will kick ass too. probably my most anticipated 2016 game at this point.
only thing that could dethrone it is console dirt rally

Agree!

The only slightly concerning thing i guess is....how challenging will it be? I do remember footage where the enemies had these time manipulation abilities as well, but so far it all looks quite.....easy. I hope not, i love a challenge. Give me smart enemies.

The only slightly concerning thing i guess is....how challenging will it be? I do remember footage where the enemies had these time manipulation abilities as well, but so far it all looks quite.....easy. I hope not, i love a challenge. Give me smart enemies.

I think it will be like regular enemies are a cake walk (and what you face at the beginning, you're massively OP etc) then after that you will start to face more and more enemies with similar abilities making it harder as you go through

Looks like an amazing spectacle, but doesn't look like my type of thing; I'd almost rather watch someone else play it. I'll wait for you guys' impressions.

My only experience with a remedy game was the original max payne which I honestly can't really remember. How did people enjoy Alan Wake, was it well received by fans?

I enjoyed it a lot, but I think it was hit or miss with most people.
I personally really liked the flashlight mechanic, and while it did get a bit repetitive, the progression of getting better weapons and a bigger flashlight was satisfying enough to keep me from being bored.

GooWop

This game reminds me of ISS graphics wise for some reason...

I mean that in the best way possible.

I love me graphics and this game is a looker, really impressive.

I think it will be like regular enemies are a cake walk (and what you face at the beginning, you're massively OP etc) then after that you will start to face more and more enemies with similar abilities making it harder as you go through

Yeah i can see that happening too. I'd like that. This video didn't really show it off, but one of the older footage had those baddies using the same kind of abilities the player did, quite cool.

Looks great, but wait... Phil said they showed footage of ReCore. Where!?

I guess he must have meant the E3 trailer or something, cause it sure is not in the video.

Hi,

we get a lot of feedback that it seems Jack is completely overpowered compared to the enemies. I can understand why the trailers give you that impressio. In the Gamescom15 demo (that we have not released online) the enemies are rather static for the simple fact that AI of those enemy types was not very ready at that point. I think it would go without saying that the final game will offer a real challenge.

There are a variety of Monarch enemy types you come up against. Some of them like the Strikers (and the Juggernaut you saw in the bridge sequence) have experimental Chronon technology which levels the playing field as it allows them to warp around as Jack does, and they really do now so, it's nowhere near as easy to kill them.

The players Time Powers have got cooldowns, which in demos were not in place, so of course in the final game, you cannot be Time Stopping all the enemies all the time. Dont worry.

Also, some people have commented how there is so much going on during action, all the VXF and such...of course that's not the entire game. There is a lot of just exploring, talking to NPC's and being immersed in the world...rest assured, we got a great balance of action, adventure and time breaking down craziness.

Will be interesting to see how it plays in a non demo environment. How are the time powers balanced etc. Visually gorgeous, although I hope some sections aren't so visually busy. This and Tomb Raider are making me want an xbox.

See the bit "In the interest of time"... we cut out the exploration bit since we only had 5 minutes of stage time.

c0de

Hi,

we get a lot of feedback that it seems Jack is completely overpowered compared to the enemies. I can understand why the trailers give you that impressio. In the Gamescom15 demo (that we have not released online) the enemies are rather static for the simple fact that AI of those enemy types was not very ready at that point. I think it would go without saying that the final game will offer a real challenge.

There are a variety of Monarch enemy types you come up against. Some of them like the Strikers (and the Juggernaut you saw in the bridge sequence) have experimental Chronon technology which levels the playing field as it allows them to warp around as Jack does, and they really do now so, it's nowhere near as easy to kill them.

The players Time Powers have got cooldowns, which in demos were not in place, so of course in the final game, you cannot be Time Stopping all the enemies all the time. Dont worry.

Also, some people have commented how there is so much going on during action, all the VXF and such...of course that's not the entire game. There is a lot of just exploring, talking to NPC's and being immersed in the world...rest assured, we got a great balance of action, adventure and time breaking down craziness.

Assuming you are from Remedy, thanks for sharing this to the community.

Goddamn Carcetti... Looks great.

I wonder, is the whole rewind / fast forward effect a gimmick or it has a purpose?

So you are fighting to stop the end of time in the game. So time is breaking down and crazy shit happens...so no, you do not control that.

It's "broken timelines caught in violent loops".

Man people weren't kidding when they said remedy takes their sweet time..this was at the darn xbox reveal lol. Still interested tho this and scalebound will surely make me budge on an Xbox

Hi,

This really is going to be the best game you guys have ever made.

Even though 2016 is stacked with some massive games, Quantum Break is easily my most anticipated title.

Show us more :)

Alienous

I like them being frozen in time at the moment of death.

Not too sure about the combat loop, though. I expected the combat arenas to be more unique, considering that the context allows for fighting in the midst of a split-second of destruction.

Chris1

Hi,

Sounds great, thanks for that.

The game looks incredible, I hope it's a massive success for you guys.

Hi,

Awesome reply and very informative. The bits about exploration, talking to NPC's makes me very happy. Good to hear there's definitely going to be a challenge. Thanks man and keep up the great work.

Game4life

Banned
Hi,

Great stuff. Looks like the game is shaping up to be something really great!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Hi,

For me at least, it was clear to me that there were infinite powers on, as is the case with most gameplay stage demos, godmode and infinite powers are on for show.

The game looks amazing, can't wait till it's finished.

I've seen your name around for ages, had no idea you worked for Remedy.

For me at least, it was clear to me that there were infinite powers on, as is the case with most gameplay stage demos, godmode and infinite powers are on for show.

The game looks amazing, can't wait till it's finished.
Everything Riotpelaaja said sound good and something I was already expecting. It amazes me that for game enthusiast forum like this, many don't see through conference god mode. But good that Remedy has come forward here to explain it. I'm gonna expect fun gameplay arenas with challenging enemies.

Top Bottom