• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Rage Screenshots

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Update:

vdju2o.jpg

6srx3l.jpg

These came out of a PowerPoint about virtual texturing form Siggraph. If you're interested in the technique, I highly recommend the pdf linked at the bottom of this post. I print screened these at the original pdf size, so this should be the correct original resolution, but since they were shrunk for the pdf they're a tad small.

2uhwvn6.jpg

jg13pf.jpg

ws3583.jpg

2hg4qyg.jpg

2j26rva.jpg

2vtdy82.jpg

Source: http://s09.idav.ucdavis.edu/talks/05-JP_id_Tech_5_Challenges.pdf

AppleBlade

Awesome pics.

My attraction to particular games is almost unexplainable, it does not go by developer, genre, or hype. For some reasons some games just jump out at me while others that everyone is hyped for don't excite me one bit.

RAGE is one of the games that for some unexplained reason I am really, really looking forward to. In fact, after Heavy Rain, this is the game that I am most hyped for in 2010, yes more then God of War 3, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Halo:Reach, etc.

I am just praying that they don't fuck up the PS3 build. The recent news about lower frame-rates on the PS3 version has me a bit worried.

soultron

Banned
Skybox is nice, but I want to see how it animates.

The sand looks delicious, but the water transparency/diffusion(?) effects are the coolest effect I can see, IMO.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How unimpressive.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I'm starting to get to that point in the console gen where I want them to show next gen stuff that blows me away.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Gravijah said:
Totally ignorant question but... Can the sky use megatextures?
It can - but that won't really have any advantage over a normal textured skybox.

1. The water looking like fog is weird but I'd guess these are still very early.

im the biggest id fanboy on the planet, but to be honest (and I know some of the people here will FLAME me like crazy), these screens don't look like they are revolutionary, especially for a technology being touted as representing the next-generation of game engines...

the stones/mountains look like fall out 3, the water actually doesn't look all that hot in these shots - worse than even mario sunshine, and the character models are about on-par with resident evil 5... generally speaking the textures look like first-gen xbox 360 games... lost odysseyish in some cases...

the sky looks awesome, but i mean, that itself isn't mind blowing

all in all, i'm hoping that the end product and animations and scale of the game eclipses my concerns over the visual presentation... id gameplay is pretty much standard fare, so i'm not expecting too much from the single player, but i'm hoping the multi creates a new hardcore FPS community like quake 1 was...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Fafalada said:
It can - but that won't really have any advantage over a normal textured skybox.

1. The water looking like fog is weird but I'd guess these are still very early.

1. I assumed it was some kind of radioactive filth. Esp. given the scenario.

jett

D-Member
Already seen them in the other Rage thread, but man those textures are just perfect. I hope megatexturing really catches on next-gen, it should definitely be the future of games.

Dizzan said:
I'm starting to get to that point in the console gen where I want them to show next gen stuff that blows me away.

These screenshots kick the shit out of every console game out there.

Smokey

I just read about this game in GI.

I CANNOT wait for this game.

Ninja Scooter said:
yeah, if you like Turok 1 style fog

I know you Laker fans are a fucked up bunch, but really?

peakish

I posted this in the other thread where these shots popped up, keep in mind that these screenshots are not necessarily from Rage, but only uses the assets from the game. The presentation is given by a programmer and it's very likely that he took the screenshots himself from test maps, unfinished areas or maps he built himself to show what he wanted to. There are lots of unblended textures in them for instance which is a big mistake for a real mapper to make these days.

The LOD will probably be much more noticeable on the consoles, not to mention the resolution. On the other hand, the areas will be more polished and probably have way more detail and creatures in them.

Edit: That being said, the assets are wonderful. Love the skybox, it's so blue.

AppleBlade

Dizzan said:
Well, don't hold your breath because I don't see any giant leaps coming soon (at least as far as graphics are concerned).

Alex

What the fuck is this monotone shit? Where are the rainbows and cartoon characters?

This is the most interested I've been in an Id game since the good ol' days of Quake III. Looks wonderful.

Flipyap

The sky looks really weird to me.
It doesn't fit the landscapes very well (except the last one). It makes the game look like a diorama placed in front of a random artsy photo. It's going to look even weirder in the game, if the sky is static.

FromTheFuture said:
There is something extremely strange about these pictures... I can't quite put my finger on it.

Skyboxes are orgasmic though.
Don't know if its the same thing I was seeing, to me it looks really soft.

I don't think thats bad, it just seems very different.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD AT THOSE SKIES

xbhaskarx

Looks good, except something looks a bit wrong with the perspective and proportions of the first one, like that's a small remote control car.

Lord Phol

Probably the first id-software game in years that i can actually agree with looking good.
Let's just hope it runs as smooth as it looks.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
I still cannot get over these screenshots.
I KNOW they have more AA than anyone could ever hope for, but holy hell, these are incredible!

Blizzard

Banned
Jtwo said:
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
I still cannot get over these screenshots.
I KNOW they have more AA than anyone could ever hope for, but holy hell, these are incredible!
Well, in the spirit of fairness, if you look at the big version of the second picture (especially in the middle, or on the sand dune edges on the right), there's incredibly obvious jagged edges. Unless that's a resizing artifact or something, that isn't much AA there...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I noticed that too.
IDK, obviously I'm completely falling over myself impressed but I don't really think it look quite like that in real life.

Top Bottom