• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Rage Screenshots

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Ninja Scooter said:
yeah, if you like Turok 1 style fog
jg13pf.jpg
You mean that atmospheric haze obscuring that rock outcropping that's really fucking far away, like in real life?
I really hope that was a joke post.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
TAJ said:
You mean that atmospheric haze obscuring that rock outcropping that's really fucking far away, like in real life?
I really hope that was a joke post.
I hope this one is too.

It looks like they took pictures of a real sky and put them into the game. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :/

But my oh my, those megatextures sure are beautiful.

-Yeti said:
It looks like they took pictures of a real sky and put them into the game. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :/

But my oh my, those megatextures sure are beautiful.
It's absolutely the latter.

peakish

roMonster said:
What happened. It looks nice and all but doesn't look as good as it did when first shown in that (what i thought was realtime) trailer.

Where did the dust effect go? (especially around the fan)

Probably this:

peakish said:
, keep in mind that these screenshots are not necessarily from Rage, but only uses the assets from the game. The presentation is given by a programmer and it's very likely that he took the screenshots himself from test maps, unfinished areas or maps he built himself to show what he wanted to. There are lots of unblended textures in them for instance which is a big mistake for a real mapper to make these days.

Dilli666

Ok...id did it again. Everytime id's coming up with screenshots from their new game (engine) my eyes are melted. Crysis got really nice rocks but this is stunning.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Looks absolutely amazing to me. And 60fps? Well fuck...

id just took a huge shit on console games.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
It looks awkward because the realistic graphics are not consistent throughout. The Sky dwarfs everything, the earth elements trump the man made structures and the people look imported from Fallout 3. I just want to see the new gen version of Doom 3's indoor lighting mechanics.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
esc said:
Good thing id is now owned by ZeniMax, they could teach Bethesda a few things about textures.
Yeah dude, Bethesda on idtech5 is like one of the most exciting things ever.
I mean, it's a no brainer right?

DogWelder

Jtwo said:
Yeah dude, Bethesda on idtech5 is like one of the most exciting things ever.
I mean, it's a no brainer right?
The thought of a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game with id Tech is enough to make me cream my pants.

I don't get what the fuss is about. Looks okay, not bad in any way... but not particularly mind blowing either.

<Insert standard looks about the same as gears comment here>

Dilli666

I really hope the driving feels alright. Imagine a id shooter combined with Motorstorm driving and Fallout 3 look'n'feel - hype hype hype.

looks very nice...style and texturing are great....very reliant on texturing though...personally I don't get how people can see this blows away some of the other great looking games to any standard, apart from running at 60, but it sue looks nice

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
The sky box looks lovely, but something's really off with the art style. I can't place my finger on it.

Shaheed79 said:
It looks awkward because the realistic graphics are not consistent throughout. The Sky dwarfs everything, the earth elements trump the man made structures and the people look imported from Fallout 3.
That could be it.

I don't see how it's unrealistic for the earth elements to triumph over man-made structures. Isn't that how it... uh, usually is?

Foxix Von

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here because to me those are some of the most fucking gorgeous screens I've ever seen.

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIT I need to read up more on this.

VQ

Sciz

nelsonroyale said:
personally I don't get how people can see this blows away some of the other great looking games to any standard, apart from running at 60, but it sue looks nice
You answered your own question. It looks comparable to or better than the current cutting edge but instead of being a linear amusement park ride like graphics showcases tend to be, it's all wide open and running at twice the frame rate. There's nothing else out or upcoming with the same balance of quality, scale, and fluidity.

Dizzan

MINI Member
jett said:
These screenshots kick the shit out of every console game out there.

Oh absolutely, I agree. They look great. It's just that they are not mind blowingly awesome to me. It is a very nice incremental upgrade to what we've seen this gen, I would just like to see something on ridiculous hardware that will blow me off my chair.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dizzan said:
Oh absolutely, I agree. They look great. It's just that they are not mind blowingly awesome to me. It is a very nice incremental upgrade to what we've seen this gen, I would just like to see something on ridiculous hardware that will blow me off my chair.
This game is targeted to be their console showcase while Doom 4 is targeted to be their PC showcase, so we'll probably have to wait quite a while before we see that sadly.

Sciz said:
You answered your own question. It looks comparable to or better than the current cutting edge but instead of being a linear amusement park ride like graphics showcases tend to be, it's all wide open and running at twice the frame rate. There's nothing else out or upcoming with the same balance of quality, scale, and fluidity.

Personally, I think U2 looks quite a better though...I mean from the screens its more evident in this game that lots of details are textured rather than in geometry..I much prefer detail to be in geometry...Technically, I think crysis has quite a bit better balance. need to see it in motion though. On you last point though, I might concede, although I think that crysis 2 should quite comfortably surpass it as fa as graphics go....In fact tweaked details, it can look more impressive in some ways at the mome...

The scenery looks nice but it is pretty chunky and blocky...it kind of gives me the impression that all the details are just dawn on top...which they are...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh my god, that's amazing

definitely going to upgrade my video card come time for this :D

Looks really great. Can't wait to play this shit.

One thing though that bothers me... as I understand it a really big meteor hit the earth 200ish years prior to the game screwing lots of shit up... isn't one thing that is supposed to happen after a giant asteroid hits the earth is for the atmosphere to be covered in ash and dust blocking out the sun? Every screen-shot I've seen up to this point looks like a bright sunny summer day outside.

Not that I want another game where you have to constantly use a flashlight... just wondering if my facts are wrong on the context of the game and the asteroid impact.

peakish

MisterAnderson said:
Looks really great. Can't wait to play this shit.

One thing though that bothers me... as I understand it a really big meteor hit the earth 200ish years prior to the game screwing lots of shit up... isn't one thing that is supposed to happen after a giant asteroid hits the earth is for the atmosphere to be covered in ash and dust blocking out the sun? Every screen-shot I've seen up to this point looks like a bright sunny summer day outside.

Not that I want another game where you have to constantly use a flashlight... just wondering if my facts are wrong on the context of the game and the asteroid impact.

You're probably right, but that's one piece of science I can live without to see beautiful blue skies in the game :lol

did they just put a photo as sky background? because I can't believe that we gonna see this one fully animated.
also there is something wrong with the graphic styles of the elements. they seem to differ a LOT:
sky=photorealistic
landscape=usual "this gen" quality (yea yea it looks better bla bla)
characters=look like copy&paste job from fallout 3 (I hope they are better animated...)

also some textures are really terrible. the fan seems to be a flat 2D texture as many other elements(pipes etc). i hope that's gonna be different in the final version. if not, megatextures my ass

Dragmire

I'm not a tech-head or anything, but it looks pretty nice and unique to me. Everything looks connected and continuous, rather than a series of models connected together to form a rock formation, and then a building, etc. In the screens I've seen for this game, a rock formation looks like one continuous model, connected to one continuous environment, and so on. Maybe I'm playing the wrong games (Fallout 3? ...which I thought looked pretty good? ...Bioshock?), but I don't recall a lot of games looking like that. And granted, there are no plants or particle effects or anything in those screenshots, which are a big part of the whole visual package. But it's early and it's just a tech demo or example, and it just doesn't look bad to me from what they're showing. But hey, thisisneogafdude.gif... Clearly I have nostalgia-goggles or some such goggles of that sort.

Arcipello

why on earth are people impressed by a simple skybox? its just a single texture made up of photographs of clouds, its not like the clouds are being rendered in full 3D.... get over it!

senahorse

Rez said:
oh my god, that's amazing

definitely going to upgrade my video card come time for this :D

I was just thinking the same, even my 4870X2 will probably be reduced to tears when this hits :lol

Arcipello said:
why on earth are people impressed by a simple skybox? its just a single texture made up of photographs of clouds, its not like the clouds are being rendered in full 3D.... get over it!

If it is going to look like that in game it would be the best looking sky I've ever seen. If it's so simple why don't we a realistic sky in more games.

sankao

Arcipello said:
Pshh. Tell me about it. People are still impressed by Mona Lisa. Come on. It's not even real-time.

Arcipello

MWS Natural said:
If it is going to look like that in game it would be the best looking sky I've ever seen. If it's so simple why don't we a realistic sky in more games.

Because a lot of artists who make sky boxes for games really suck at it....plus most games for whatever stupid reason tend to use simple animated textures for their skies, couple that with crazy bloom effects and you end up with this.

http://www.iinit.com/images/screenshots/hires-skybox-s01.jpg

However if you just take the time to stitch together a lot of already very nice cloud photos as i once did for quake wars you end up with clean and realistic sky...IF thats the style that works in the game.

The best example is deffinately Stalker though... photographs as skies and also blending between different skyboxes in order to create the illusion of changing weather etc.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2008/155/reviews/942067_20080604_screen002.jpg
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/848/848831/stalker-clear-sky-20080131094757045_640w.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3319/3576386504_0e849c9d8f.jpg

Huggy

The baked direct light look pretty bad. They should have baked the ambient only and developed a full scene shadowmapper.
You'd say having this megatexture thing going on you should have less drawcalls which would be nice for it.

SappYoda

Huggy said:
The baked direct light look pretty bad. They should have baked the ambient only and developed a full scene shadowmapper.
You'd say having this megatexture thing going on you should have less drawcalls which would be nice for it.
This. Its a step back from the full dynamic shadowing from id tech 4 :(

Top Bottom