• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Rainbow Six game on the way?

Oreoleo

Captain Pants said:
The only trick I want is for them to be as close to the series' roots as possible. I don't want any dudebro nonsense or any flashy gimmicks.

Yeah, I agree. Getting away from the Vegas motif and moving the series back closer to it's roots would be a good first step in making the franchise stand out. I didn't mean to imply the opposite.

The original Rainbow 6 was the first PC game I owned, so I've got a bit of a soft spot for it.

sflufan said:
Any future R6 game needs to have an Abbottabad level.

I'd bet we'll see about half a dozen games with a "Kill Osama" level in the next year and half, you don't have to worry about that.

dustin

Neo Member
Pleasegodyes. Right after the bin Laden assassination I went out and bought Vegas again, such a badass game.

Nizz

Neuromancer said:
This might be unpopular but I'm going to say it anyway. FPS's that pop out to third person view when you're behind cover are really jarring. Just do one or the other please.
I feel games like Killzone 3 and Crysis 2 do first person cover great. I can probably understand why Ubisoft did the switch to third person when in cover, the game's tactical nature most likely.

But if for a new Rainbow Six game, if they used a cover system similar to K3/Crysis 2 I'd be happy. Those are games I feel do first person cover right. And it keeps me immersed.

alext5

Neo Member
Anastacio said:
Am I the only one who really miss Rainbow Six 3? =;(
I want a game like that, not Vegas.

I really miss RS3, I used to play that severals hours per day during high school with my friends. Didn't bother for Vegas.

Forget it. Your gear is going to be OMG futureawesomebro, your health will regenerate, there will be no planning phase, the terrorist compound will be littered with equipment change boxes, and it will take 5 shots to kill someone.

YOU KNOW IM RIGHT

This better be more like RB6 Vegas and less like its shitty, inferior sequel that took out features instead of adding them.

Mr. Snrub said:
Forget it. Your gear is going to be OMG futureawesomebro, your health will regenerate, there will be no planning phase, the terrorist compound will be littered with equipment change boxes, and it will take 5 shots to kill someone.

YOU KNOW IM RIGHT
You forgot to say there's going to be explosions every 10 minutes, quicktime-event-based CQC moves and at least one on-rails level. A 10-minute level with a Rainbow Operative riding an aerial tram while sniping terrorists sounds like fun.

If it is anything like Rainbow Six: Vegas I will be VERY happy. Vegas 1 had an excellent campaign while Vegas 2 had more refined controls and multiplayer. Oddly enough though, Vegas 2 has a worse storyline and visuals.

In summary: I want to be in a residential and/or heavily populated area and repel down upside down into a window.

Pooya

Broadbandito said:
Dont fuck it up ubi. also, where the fuck is GRFS? wtf.
They've been awfuly quiet about that since last E3, I imagine they weren't happy with the reception and it's back to the drawing board ala Splinter Cell Conviction, there was supposed to be a beta last summer! we probably hear about it if it's still coming this year next week on Ubisoft's end of FY results/conference.

Zep

Banned
Come on Vegas 3! Nobody wants to play those old boring ass R6 games where you only see a crosshair. Don't listen to them ubisoft!
I really hope they scrap the sprint feature or make the maps compatible with it...That really killed the balance of Vegas 2.

Zep said:
Come on Vegas 3! Nobody wants to play those old boring ass R6 games where you only see a crosshair. Don't listen to them ubisoft!
I really hope they scrap the sprint feature or make the maps compatible with it...That really killed the balance of Vegas 2.
You're thinking of either Ghost Recon or the very old Rainbow Six games, the ones before Raven Shield. Raven Shield is the perfect balance: first person, you can see your gun, had nice graphics at the time, streamlined the pre-mission planning and checkpoints, great team management and awesome level design.

Vegas is kind of a Modern Warfare version of Rainbow Six. It's fun, I guess, but I'd rather have a more tactical approach.

DR3AM

i heart rainbow six. one of few games that actually requires some skill and team work. its been a long time since vegas 2

Jtrizzy

Yeah playing SOCOM sp right now wishing it was in first person. Still worth playing for anyone who like R6 though.

they need to fix the goddamn terrorist hunt and it's cheap ass spawning enemies and also remove the 3rd person cover cam (every cover FPS needs to do this, it's goddamn cheap being able to see around walls and lineup your crosshairs)

since Irrational doesn't seem to care to make another SWAT game they should blatantly rip off a lot of stuff from SWAT4

It's weird to see some posters say "Yeah, bring back the old Rainbow Six!" and others say, "Yeah, bring back the old Rainbow Six! The first Vegas game was awesome!"

I still don't get why they strayed from the award-winning formula of the first 2 (okay, 3) games. Did Raven Shield just sell horribly?

ArjanN

Orellio said:
I'd bet we'll see about half a dozen games with a "Kill Osama" level in the next year and half, you don't have to worry about that.

Yeah,

not very hard when they keep showing the layout on the news:

bin%20laden%20schuilplaats%20abbottabad%20infographic.jpg

There's half your level right there.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Mr. Snrub said:
It's weird to see some posters say "Yeah, bring back the old Rainbow Six!" and others say, "Yeah, bring back the old Rainbow Six! The first Vegas game was awesome!"

yeah, I don't think this is the thread for me.

I want a RS game with a planning section. Does anyone even remember that? pfft, kids these days with their fancy cover system and cut scenes.

RedSwirl

See, I don't think the old and new styles are really mutually exclusive to each other.

Sure the Vegas games adding regenerating health, cover systems, and all that other mess made them more "casual," but the real problem was just how linear they were and how much depth they took away. Maybe if they made something like Vegas but also brought back the planning stage, offered more freedom in what players brought to each mission, let players issue orders from a tactical map, and made each mission a sandbox like the old games, we could have some kind of compromise.

Zep

Banned
There can definitely be a compromise. Get rid of regenerating health, but keep the cover system and make it so we can't see the whole area behind us. Or they could get really creative and add a face up cover system with peaking. Whether you prefer the older titles like Raven Shield or just came into the series on Vegas 1 & 2 the one thing they cannot get rid of is the awesome weapon recoil...That much we can agree on and is the biggest deal breaker IMO.

Lets just hope the COD craze hasn't pushed itself onto this series.

Everdred

This is the only series where I REALLY want a new game. RS3 is one of my most played games ever. I would be willing to install Raven Shield and the like if I knew people still played.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
RedSwirl said:
Maybe if they made something like Vegas but also brought back the planning stage, offered more freedom in what players brought to each mission, let players issue orders from a tactical map, and made each mission a sandbox like the old games, we could have some kind of compromise.
Absolutely agree with this. I think if it borrowed elements like picture-in-picture and non combat tools with a persistent damage mode that would be my game right there.
The aiming and shooting in Vegas still feels really good to me, perhaps best in its class.

Loved the old R6 games, and Vegas 1 multi was awesome. Vegas 2 felt like an expansion pack, but still good. Forgot all about these games until now.

Bring on R6 2011. New engine, more tactical gameplay please. In-game multiplayer planning would be pretty cool if one side plays R6 and the other plays terrorist spec-ops.

TheTowel

Mr. Snrub said:

YOU KNOW IM RIGHT

Unfortunately, yeah. For christsakes, one shot kills and various strategies to win maps. Bring the lean back!

Edit: Raven shield mechanics with updated visuals wouldn't be a bad start. Old Rainbow Six 3 gamers know what I'm talking about.

Chris_C

wienke said:
Seriously, it's about time. I've been itching for some Tom Clancy action and realized that just about everything out there is a few years old.

Frankly, the Tom Clancy games needed a rest. There was a period at the start of this gen when you couldn't turn around without bumping into a game with his name on it, whether it was Splinter Cell,GRAW, Rainbow Six, HAWX, or that yell-at-the-tvand-the-people-do-things-game.

Chris_C said:
Frankly, the Tom Clancy games needed a rest. There was a period at the start of this gen when you couldn't turn around without bumping into a game with his name on it, whether it was Splinter Cell,GRAW, Rainbow Six, HAWX, or that yell-at-the-tvand-the-people-do-things-game.
the Rainbow Six rest was long enough. Bring it.

Mr. Snrub said:

I still don't get why they strayed from the award-winning formula of the first 2 (okay, 3) games. Did Raven Shield just sell horribly?
It's no secret that Ubisoft makes exclusively horrible decisions, I don't think either Ghost Recon (two expansions) or Rainbow Six sold horribly on PC and yet everything changed with Ghost Recon 2, which was console exclusive and god awful, and I don't think Lockdown did too hot either. If you can find any viable reason as to why Ubisoft decided to keep the studio working on console games after that then I'd like to hear it!

They could be alone on the market with hardcore tactical games and yet they choose to stick to churning out these generic Vegas/Warfighter hack jobs, depressing really! Luckily the guys from Red Storm who wanted to make good games have moved on and are no longer chained to Ubisoft.

Danne-Danger said:
It's no secret that Ubisoft makes exclusively horrible decisions, I don't think either Ghost Recon (two expansions) or Rainbow Six sold horribly on PC and yet everything changed with Ghost Recon 2, which was console exclusive and god awful, and I don't think Lockdown did too hot either. If you can find any viable reason as to why Ubisoft decided to keep the studio working on console games after that then I'd like to hear it!

They could be alone on the market with hardcore tactical games and yet they choose to stick to churning out these generic Vegas/Warfighter hack jobs, depressing really! Luckily the guys from Red Storm who wanted to make good games have moved on and are no longer chained to Ubisoft.

This is a load of shit, though. Even in their most gung-ho action movie moments, GR and Rainbow Six are so far ahead of your typical shooter-shooter that it's not even funny. GRAW set the stage nicely early on in the generation, but it's unfortunately still a uniquely complex gem. I miss the planning in R6 and the genuine "ghost" feel of older GR games, but calling them generic hack jobs is fucking ridiculous.

Top Bottom