• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil 3 Remake details from OPM

GrayChild

Gold Member
You could still implement choices and branching paths even with a more "realistic" take. Let's not act like these sorts of things haven't been really popular in horror games as of late.

They have been... in various walking simulators and scripted "cinematic" adventure titles like "Until Dawn". Which have nothing in common with how modern RE games play.

Besides, doing these would be impossible or extremely hard and resource-consuming to pull off if what they say is true and Nemesis'AI works in the same way as Mr. X. That is, mostly unscripted, freely roaming entity that covers an already expanded and much more complex take on Raccoon City.

kunonabi

Mr. X is nowhere near as complex as you're making it out to be and still isnt a legitimate excuse. I also sincerely doubt the size of the city is going to be that immense and complex and even if was that would just be a better base to build extra events and alternate paths into. The idea that the larger the play area the more linear the better is a goddamn joke.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Am I the only one who enjoyed those games because of their atmosphere and setting, not giving a flying fuck about zapping systems and 'Give Barry back his gun' options? I mean, I read some replies here and it gives me the impression that stuff was the reason those games were successful for those players, while I always thought they were just fluff that didn't really do anything for the game.

I never thought those things were so important for some people.

kunonabi

Am I the only one who enjoyed those games because of their atmosphere and setting, not giving a flying fuck about zapping systems and 'Give Barry back his gun' options? I mean, I read some replies here and it gives me the impression that stuff was the reason those games were successful for those players, while I always thought they were just fluff that didn't really do anything for the game.

I never thought those things were so important for some people.

Gameplay being important in a video game is really that foreign a concept to you?

Nickolaidas

Banned
Gameplay being important in a video game is really that foreign a concept to you?

I think I've heard of it … on some exotic, faraway land ...

In all seriousness, however, I do not consider 'gameplay' the fact that if you waited for 2 minutes for Barry to throw you a rope and unlock a different ending is gameplay. It's extra content that in the end, didn't matter much (for me). If others appreciated it, more power to them, but I wouldn't go all 'Now I won't buy this game!!' just because the zapping system was gone in RE2. Nor do I think it was the reason the original game was praised so much and got so popular.

I (personally) think it's silly for someone to consider RE3make inferior to RE3 just because it won't freeze the screen when Nemesis shows up and force you to pick two options (run inside the RPD / fight him). And who knows? The game may be designed in a way for you to make the choice yourself without the game 'freezing'.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I think I've heard of it … on some exotic, faraway land ...

In all seriousness, however, I do not consider 'gameplay' the fact that if you waited for 2 minutes for Barry to throw you a rope and unlock a different ending is gameplay. It's extra content that in the end, didn't matter much (for me). If others appreciated it, more power to them, but I wouldn't go all 'Now I won't buy this game!!' just because the zapping system was gone in RE2. Nor do I think it was the reason the original game was praised so much and got so popular.

I (personally) think it's silly for someone to consider RE3make inferior to RE3 just because it won't freeze the screen when Nemesis shows up and force you to pick two options (run inside the RPD / fight him). And who knows? The game may be designed in a way for you to make the choice yourself without the game 'freezing'.

There is a lot more to the choices and variety in the game than just the live selections themselves. Lots of things can actually change playthrough to playthrough. When I my friends and I first bought the game and tried discussing it we found that we had taken almost completely different paths through the game. Comparing how RE3 worked to the originals ending conditions is completely laughable and the A/B scenario were indeed a big deal when RE2 came out.

Nickolaidas

Banned
There is a lot more to the choices and variety in the game than just the live selections themselves. Lots of things can actually change playthrough to playthrough. When I my friends and I first bought the game and tried discussing it we found that we had taken almost completely different paths through the game. Comparing how RE3 worked to the originals ending conditions is completely laughable and the A/B scenario were indeed a big deal when RE2 came out.

You're making RE3's changes during gameplay a much bigger thing than it actually was, but like I said, more power to you if you believe it.

Top Bottom